Fan Boys have to get hurt..in order for a Epic Godzilla

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby KaijuHQ » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:25 pm

:sniff sniff: Smells like flamebaiting and trolls in here...
KaijuHQ
Godzilla

Postby Legion » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:49 pm

KaijuHQ wrote::sniff sniff: Smells like flamebaiting and trolls in here...

Agreed.

If the internet has taught me anything it's that there's a contingent of people out there whose idea of having fun on the web is thinking long and hard about the best possible way to piss an entire group of people off.

And of course he asks why the main site isn't updated the way it used to be, which is a question that's been answered many times before. First off, this is a hobby and people have lives. No one is obligated to update the MZ main page every time every little spec of new info is released. Things have been relatively quiet on the Japanese giant monster front for a while anyway and the news that does come out ends up either being broken on the message board or Keith will post a link to a news article on Sci Fi Japan.

If HydroGojira wasn't some flame-baiter having a laugh at our expense I'd sincerely be surprised.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Fan Boys have to get hurt..in order for a Epic Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:01 am

SPOILERS

Toho Kingdom March 21, 2019:
VISITING THE SET OF GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS
"Dougherty: Yeah, there will be plenty of fanboy tears, I promise you."
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:17 pm

^ Dougherty obviously meant tears of joy, which is not what the OP was talking about when he made this old thread back in 2008.

It was fun to read through this thread again though, at least the posts that survived the board's server change a few years ago. "Fan Boys have to get hurt..in order for a Epic Godzilla." This is what the fandom comes up with when the Godzilla series is on hiatus. Mac summed up the topic on page one:

Mac wrote:The irony in this statement is killer, seeing as most fanboys are drooling for an incredibly dark film.

Sure enough, when Hollywood did bring Godzilla back from hiatus they made him a hero monster again for the first time since the '70s. It was Toho that ended up revamping Godzilla from the ground up in grimdark fashion.

Look at how shortsighted I was at age 19:

Benjamin Haines wrote:Godzilla DVDs still only sell to a niche market here in the States (read: us, the fans). Like it or not, that's really the extent to which Godzilla's marketability is ever going to reach in this country. No attempt at "mainstreaming" Godzilla is going to produce a film which the American public eats up at the box office. CGI? A generic Hollywood blockbuster story? Michael Bay helming it? A cast that includes Johnny Depp and Will Smith? Portraying Godzilla as an unspeakable terror that strikes fear into the hearts of children? Nope. Nothing, absolutely nothing, is going to make Godzilla suddenly become popular with the mainstream public. Why not? Because it's Godzilla. End of story.

What a dumbass statement by me. Mac called that one again:

Mac wrote:I don't know if I can fully agree with Ben. Godzilla could become mainstream and taken seriously, its just all about time. A couple generations of movie goers is all it would take. For the meantime, Godzilla just needs to lay low. I just hope that when Godzilla returns that TOHO gives some serious thought to it.

The pop-culture landscape of the 2010s is a lot more nerd-friendly than that of the 2000s. This was just the right era for the Godzilla franchise to make a Hollywood comeback.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:12 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:Look at how shortsighted I was at age 19:

Benjamin Haines wrote:Godzilla DVDs still only sell to a niche market here in the States (read: us, the fans). Like it or not, that's really the extent to which Godzilla's marketability is ever going to reach in this country. No attempt at "mainstreaming" Godzilla is going to produce a film which the American public eats up at the box office. CGI? A generic Hollywood blockbuster story? Michael Bay helming it? A cast that includes Johnny Depp and Will Smith? Portraying Godzilla as an unspeakable terror that strikes fear into the hearts of children? Nope. Nothing, absolutely nothing, is going to make Godzilla suddenly become popular with the mainstream public. Why not? Because it's Godzilla. End of story.

What a dumbass statement by me. Mac called that one again:

Don't be too hard on yourself Benjamin. I had just about those same beliefs, though I never really wanted to admit it to myself. However, I am probably on record on these very boards stating that a Kong / Godzilla rematch was just a G-fanboy pipe dream. No desire, no interest by any of these Hollywood types (let along a solo Godzilla movie). :mrgreen: But when Legendary was going to redo "Clash of the Titans" perhaps that is when the ball started rolling, which would eventually evolve into this current kaiju-fest (of course, some would argue, that this current phase started out with "Cloverfield" in 2008).
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby angilas » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:44 am

Even though I can remember MonsterZero forums back to the GiNO days (which hurt a lot of fanboys, myself included but was in no ways epic) this is an interesting time capsule. Shin Godzilla was dark epic and divisive amongst fans. I loved it. My dad who introduced me to Godzilla the year I was born with this dark epic Dr. Pepper/propaganda film,:
phpBB [media]

Not so much
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Previous

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!