Fan Boys have to get hurt..in order for a Epic Godzilla

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Mexigojira » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:05 am

Legion wrote:
Mexigojira wrote:a note for the new movie, give Godzilla more movility, enough so he can fight with teeth, tail, claws, and please, let the monsted screw reality, leave reality to humans.

What, you didn't see Final Wars? :lol:

yeah, and I want part 2 :wink:
"There are 4 things that I've learned to dont discuss, because they end with people killing each other: Religion, politics, sports, and logic on anime and kaiju movies"

Anibal
Mexigojira
Heisei Godzilla

Postby shin-goji » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:25 am

Wow, nice to see there are some crazy fans over here as well :)
My Dirty Socks Smell Like Popcorn.
Sean McGuinness//Shin-Goji
http://www.neomonsterisland.com
What Would Godzilla Do?
shin-goji
Little Godzilla

Postby TheMaster » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:44 pm

walshbeme wrote:
TheMaster wrote:
jrichreturns wrote:YA know in an age of nuclear proliferation Godzilla is more relevant than ever. That and the way the Earth i endangered by the likes of greey humans Godzilla can be nature's avenger. In an upcoming film perhaps nuclear terrorism or a stolen nuclear device can be a topic or perhaps (whether you agree with it or not) Global Climate change (warming or the now growing popular belief of a neo ice age).

Sorry but I couldn't disagree more. Yes those things are topical, and yes goji has had varying subtexts, but hell they're action/monster movies not "message" movies. Any of the above elements can play a slight role, but hey Goji aint "woodsie" owl.
You couldn't be more wrong.

Good lord you actually think people see these movies because of a message?! I think GFW showed the silliness of this. You have 90+minutes of often incoherent action and bad plot with a awkwardly thrown in sentence about nuclear weapons :lol:
TheMaster
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:02 am

But that's the best part about GFW. The dialogue and action is all so incoherent,each viewer sees it differently and walks away with his own message. No one person's interpretation is wrong,the movie is all things to all people.
Sort of like how there's only one God,and all faiths interpret his message in a different way. GFW is infallible,and Don Frye is the one true Voice,but there's no way any of us mortals can fully comprehend His message. We just muddle along and hope we're doing the right thing,and that's all you can ask.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby TheMaster » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:54 pm

Don Frye is Xenu! All hail Xenu!
TheMaster
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:13 pm

When we get to the gates of heaven,my brothers,we shall "go right into it."
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Danno » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:14 pm

"Turn! One Hundred Eighty Degrees!"

"Fire... phasers..."
Danno
Godzilla

Postby gojira_fan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:33 am

Well at least he made the movie somewhat entertaining.
gojira_fan
Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:23 pm

gojira_fan wrote:Well at least he made the movie somewhat entertaining.

Hey don't get me wrong,I'm having some fun here,but Don Frye is easily in my top 5 Godzilla characters. He's like the modern day Adam West!
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:26 pm

Don Frye could totally kick Adam West's butt!
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby oaklord » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:29 am

Legion wrote:
MekaGojira3k wrote:One thing I'll never understand is the idea that an epic or dark film will bring success to the series. I mean....we've never had blood, gore, or the epic-ness that's mentioned by the original poster but the franchise has lasted thus far, right? I mean there aren't movies, but we had some (albeit pretty shoddy) video games released recently. Toys are made, so...
...I should really stop posting, I'm not adding anything to this mess of an idea.

Nah, your doing fine. Actually, those are my thoughts exactly.

I'm getting really sick of people who claim dark, scary, bloody, violent Godzilla films are what the series needs to be successful. It's really the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, nonsense spouted by people who have absolutely no clue what this series is all about and why it's stayed around for a half century.

Just give it a few years. Your going to see more and more of this insanity as the Showa classics (all of them) drop out of favor as more and more "true fans" who think they're too good for the original films start to come in to the hobby. We see it more and more each year: people completely intolerant to the movies which made Godzilla a household name in the first place who demand a dark, scary serious Godzilla in movies without an iota of fun whatsoever.

I just don't get it. What in the world happened to people who were able to accept the good with the not so good. I love every Godzilla movie, and I can pretty much accept the faults of those films I don't necessarily like. It sickens me how there are people out there who completely ignore a good 2/3rds of Godzilla's career and frustratingly cling to the idea that the only way Godzilla works is if he's in a film that would completely alienate one of his biggest target audiences.

To those people I say: I love Godzilla. Everything about the whole damn franchise. It's a shame some people are too jaded to feel the same way.

Im in total agreement with you. I love Godzilla just the way he is just the way he has always been. Alot of camp and alot of fun even when the movies have been atrociously bad its still Godzilla. A dark Clive Barkeresq Godzilla with the gore and violence doesnt necessarily meen a good movie. These people and others like them sound like there unable to utilise there imagination and suspend there disbelief and enjoy the retro Godzilla movies for what they are. I get so sick of the thats to dated attitude its not dark enough its to kiddy for my superiority complex. God whatever go call Oprah and see if she gives a rats ass
oaklord
Godzillasaurus

Postby Chris55 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:25 pm

There WILL be some fans who will cry and moan that there's no "campiness and fun" of the old movies. But you know what? That's been DONE. THAT'S why the series isn't as respected as it should be. Go dark, you get respect/more people in the theaters. Want an example? BATMAN.
Chris55
Godzilla Jr.

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:54 pm

Batman had a good story. I don't care what kind of mood or atmosphere the next film has, it just needs a good story.

Screw all this "DARK IZ T3H ONLY WAI 2 GO" crap.
Last edited by kiryugoji04 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:58 pm

The new Batman got respect from fans because for once its finally taking from the source material in a heavy way. The film makers had GREAT respect for the source material and nearly every scene in the film is from the comics, spanning the entire history of Batman. That's why fans love it. Its the Batman movie we wanted from the start.

As far as the box office goes, you're forgetting the massive hype built by the Begins cliff hanger and the viral marketing, Heath Ledger's death, positive word of mouth, etc. I seriously doubt the people walking into the Dark Knight are saying "OMG ITZ GONNA BE the DARK"- They are people that like Batman (which is a massively popular property), they wanna see Ledger's masterful Joker, they wanna see if its as good as Begins. Its not making money because its a dark movie. Its making money because its a sequel to the best received (until now) superhero movie ever made and its uh... its f'ing Batman, one of the biggest film franchises on the planet... and as previously mentioned, its just a damn GOOD movie. Iron Man was a good movie and it was the champ this year until TDK, and that was a lighthearted action movie about a superhero who hadn't had a movie yet... and it was damn good as well.

You can rant and rave about "DARK IS WHAT MAKES MONEY AND IT HAS TO BE DARK TO BE GOOD" all night long, but movies like Iron Man are there with a giant middle finger towards that mentality. Don't get me wrong, I love TDK way more than Iron Man, but you can't deny the numbers and the great word of mouth that Iron Man had (as well as it being a good movie).
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:21 pm

Also, as an actual Japanese example, look at how poorly Ultraman the Next did compared to the Ultraman Moebius film. :P
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:37 am

Weren't the Fantastic Four movies big money makers too? They were pretty lighthearted. I do think Dark Knight is a good movie,but I was well aware that 60% of the people in the theater were there because one of the stars died before it came out,and the media has been going on and on about that fact for 6 months.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:40 pm

kidnicky wrote:I do think Dark Knight is a good movie,but I was well aware that 60% of the people in the theater were there because one of the stars died before it came out,and the media has been going on and on about that fact for 6 months.

Exactamundo!

People seeing this film for Batman makes up the vast minority of the film's audience. As you have guessed, people saw this film out of sympathy for the late Heath Ledger.

Furthermore, merchandise-wise, all Joker toys, at least with Heath Ledger's likeness, are completely sold out and are highly-sought-after collector's items! (The new Joker toys have a more abstract likeness.) And it's ridiculous, considering that all toys of Batman (except for the rare unmasked 12" Batman) are sitting on shelves collecting dust.
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby HydroGojira » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:14 am

The difference is, no one is going to see a corny godzilla movie
and thats exactly what Final Wars was, it was the stereotypical godzilla film. For a franchise that has to take a ten year break, what do you think the next logical step is? Make a serious movie or put the franchise to rest, which I thought final wars was franchise suicide....

My goal, is to see a serious godzilla film....on par with cloverfield...
as in....people can go to the movie and be scared, and not bring little kids and the little kids can sit there and laugh at a guy in a rubber suit...

Its like you fan boys love it corny, yea that was entertaining somewhat when I was growing up, but I'm older now, and it would be great to see

"Godzilla is for kids"

Well the kids don't pay the bills do they

and how come this site ain't updated no more?
HydroGojira
Godzilla Egg

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:58 am

:kitty:
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby briizilla » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:01 am

Seriously?

Hydro...please go away. Your post is nothing but flamebait.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:12 am

HydroGojira wrote:The difference is, no one is going to see a corny godzilla movie

Looking at the box office numbers, nobody is going to see a "Dark" or more "serious" Godzilla movie either- Could it be that maybe nobody will pay to see ANY Godzilla movie? I think that's the case, not the tone of the film itself.

HydroGojira wrote:and thats exactly what Final Wars was, it was the stereotypical godzilla film.

No it wasn't. In fact, that's why it divided the fanbase so much... because it was WAY out there from what everyone was used to.

HydroGojira wrote:For a franchise that has to take a ten year break, what do you think the next logical step is?

To not make any more movies. Godzilla had a 28 film run. That's fine with me and more than any other iconic franchise.

HydroGojira wrote:Make a serious movie or put the franchise to rest, which I thought final wars was franchise suicide....

Final Wars isn't what killed the franchise. It was dead to begin with, which is why they made a "final" movie in the first place. And I still fail to see how a serious movie would improve box office numbers. Ultraman is kid's fare and is still going strong. How do you explain that, tough guy?

HydroGojira wrote:My goal, is to see a serious godzilla film....on par with cloverfield...
as in....people can go to the movie and be scared, and not bring little kids and the little kids can sit there and laugh at a guy in a rubber suit...

That was never EVER the purpose for the Godzilla series, not even in 1954. If you want horror monsters, watch Alien or Hellraiser. I'm a HUGE horror buff and even I can tell you right now that that idea is just insane. Godzilla movies were NEVER about "being scared" and no producer in their right minds would make a Godzilla movie that kids couldn't go to. As much as you hate to admit it, giant radioactive dinosaurs are more appealing to kids than anybody. That's the one crowd that they are ALWAYS going to try to please. Why turn Godzilla into something that its not and has never ever been? Just because you want to see it? Ain't happenin.

HydroGojira wrote:Its like you fan boys love it corny, yea that was entertaining somewhat when I was growing up, but I'm older now, and it would be great to see

It sounds like you've just outgrown Godzilla movies. That's fine, things like that happen to all of us. But don't expect the series to get more mature just because YOU are more mature and have different interests. Its not gonna happen.

HydroGojira wrote:"Godzilla is for kids"

I fail to see how this is relevant at all.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Legion » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:19 pm

HydroGojira wrote:My goal, is to see a serious godzilla film....on par with cloverfield...

Its like you fan boys love it corny, yea that was entertaining somewhat when I was growing up, but I'm older now, and it would be great to see

"Godzilla is for kids"

and how come this site ain't updated no more?

Your kidding me, right?

Just when you think the nonsense is finally over. :roll:

Hydro, your obviously just being a flamebaiting troll if you feel the need to revive this already ridiculous thread with more of this inanity. Final Wars was not a sterotypical Godzilla movie (far from it) and Godzilla movies will never be made to alienate little kids. Those two facts are pretty much absolutes.

How old are you? Seriously? I'm almost 30 and I appreciate the "corny" Godzilla movies now more than I ever did when I was younger. And calling us all fanboys (again) doesn't help your case. If you have nothing else to contribute around here please just go away.

I'm going to watch Godzilla's Revenge and Godzilla vs Megalon tonight just to spite you. But only the silly parts.
Last edited by Legion on Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby BruceAReville » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:27 pm

Life is serious enough for me - Give me a rubber suit and model city destruction fantasy any day of the week. :D Heck throw in some over the top acting and even worse dubbing and I am set for life - wait I already get that in spades and love every second of it. :lol:
BruceAReville
Little Godzilla

Postby Legion » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:33 pm

BruceAReville wrote:Life is serious enough for me - Give me a rubber suit and model city destruction fantasy any day of the week. :D Heck throw in some over the top acting and even worse dubbing and I am set for life - wait I already get that in spades and love every second of it. :lol:

BRAVO!!!! My hat's off to you and your self-confident bold print!

:D
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mrbluehair » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:50 pm

I think what the message should have been and has been voiced time and again here was that you want a darker, more adult Godzilla movie.

That is just fine, I would like to see one too, as well as various other takes on the Godzilla mythos, however that is inherently a selfish wish and not one likely to ever see the light of day.

I'm sure you'd find plenty of supporters of such a theme, it just don't expect it to ever materialize.
You must show no mercy, nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you... for your greatness will silence them all!
mrbluehair
Heisei Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!