Fan Boys have to get hurt..in order for a Epic Godzilla

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Legion » Sat May 24, 2008 10:17 am

HydroGojira wrote:I gotta go do some yard, work, I will get back to this as soon as possible, I'll reply to all insults, but please I ask, do not go over board and get my thread closed, I know its easy to get mad at the mods here cause they act like gods from my olympus, but bare with me, lets all get on the right track here.

Wow. Your quite the piece of work aren't you?

lol I actually feel like we the people can do something about this.

Awww, don't you just want to pinch his cheeks.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Apelinq » Sat May 24, 2008 10:29 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:
Toho have been making a killing licensing Godzilla movies to home video distributors in the US over the past ten years now. But even then, Godzilla DVDs still only sell to a niche market here in the States (read: us, the fans). Like it or not, that's really the extent to which Godzilla's marketability is ever going to reach in this country. No attempt at "mainstreaming" Godzilla is going to produce a film which the American public eats up at the box office. CGI? A generic Hollywood blockbuster story? Michael Bay helming it? A cast that includes Johnny Depp and Will Smith? Portraying Godzilla as an unspeakable terror that strikes fear into the hearts of children? Nope. Nothing, absolutely nothing, is going to make Godzilla suddenly become popular with the mainstream public. Why not? Because it's Godzilla. End of story. Conforming Godzilla to mainstream Hollywood standards would be as futile as it would be inane.

This again begs the question: Why do you care so much? Why is it so important to you (or anybody for that matter) what the masses of the public think about Godzilla? Just stop worrying about what other people think like that. It really does not matter and it shouldn't make a difference one way or another as far as your personal appreciation of Godzilla goes.

I see were your coming from, but I view nostalgia as a pointless indulgence. What makes me think and call people hypocrites is when they praise crap like the Pre In Space Saban era of butchered Super Sentai(aka Power Rangers), and then say Godzilla films are cheezy, awful, campy etc.

Benjamin Haines wrote:God, I feel like an episode of Boy Meets World trying to teach a moral lesson that we were all supposed to learn in middle school.

Morality means little to a person that doesn't have any. :lol:
Last edited by Apelinq on Sat May 24, 2008 11:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
"The problem with America is Natrual Selection. There's too many stupid people and no one's eating them." -Carlos Mencia

Chivalry is dead and women killed it - Dave Chappelle
Apelinq
Baby Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat May 24, 2008 10:31 am

HydroGojira wrote:I got 500 dollars worth of godzilla tatto's on me, i'm not going to give up the good fight for a respectable godzilla movie

lol thats all I want, I want at least one movie, that gets the respect the Big G deserves.

Why did you get $500 in tattooes of a character who hasn't made any respectable films? Because, I mean, Honda, Tsuburaya, and Tanaka TOTALLY didn't have any respect for their own creation, right? :roll:
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sat May 24, 2008 10:42 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:Why did you get $500 in tattooes of a character who hasn't made any respectable films? Because, I mean, Honda, Tsuburaya, and Tanaka TOTALLY didn't have any respect for their own creation, right? :roll:

Hahaha! That was priceless. :lol:

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Sat May 24, 2008 10:57 am

That absolutely boggles my mind. You got tattoos on your body,which,may I remind you,are for the most part non-removable,of a character from films you DO NOT LIKE. Or I guess you might like GMK? It's one thing to join a message board pertaining to films you hate,but tats are just going a step too far,IMO.

Of course,I'm sort of a hypocrite because I have several Gigli tattoos. :)
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Sat May 24, 2008 11:02 am

Oh,and this is totally off topic,but those Mothra films are what got me into the Godzilla "fandom" so to speak. My whole life,I'd watch a Godzilla movie if I ever caught one on TV,and I saw G2K in the theater (not GINO though),but I wouldn't really call myself a "fan". Watching the Rebirth of Mothra films made me check out the internet for Godzilla related sites,I found this one,and now kaiju movies and tokusatsu shows are my favorite genre.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sat May 24, 2008 11:07 am

kidnicky wrote:That absolutely boggles my mind. You got tattoos on your body,which,may I remind you,are for the most part non-removable,of a character from films you DO NOT LIKE. Or I guess you might like GMK? It's one thing to join a message board pertaining to films you hate,but tats are just going a step too far,IMO.

Dare I ask what monsters are depicted on those tattoos? As much as I love Godzilla, I can't fathom getting his image permanently etched onto my skin.

Besides the money you spend has no bearing on what sort of a fan you are. Don't even play that game.

EDIT: BTW, anyone just love my avatar. Best scene in any Godzilla movie. :P
Last edited by Legion on Sat May 24, 2008 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Sat May 24, 2008 11:13 am

Apelinq wrote:I see were your coming from. What makes me think and call people hypocrites is when they praise crap like the Saban Pre In Space era of butchered Super Sentai(aka Power Rangers), and then say Godzilla films are cheezy, awful, campy etc.

If you think that's bad, there was one such person just like this (who shall go nameless), who closed-mindedly criticized Ultra Seven, saying it was "outdated," while praising the then-newer Super Sentai! That was just an insult, especially since it's still one of the most respected TV series in Japan. (He no doubt would've insulted Godzilla movies the same way.)

That guy should watch Captain Ultra to see what "outdated" is!
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Sat May 24, 2008 1:30 pm

Legion wrote:
kidnicky wrote:That absolutely boggles my mind. You got tattoos on your body,which,may I remind you,are for the most part non-removable,of a character from films you DO NOT LIKE. Or I guess you might like GMK? It's one thing to join a message board pertaining to films you hate,but tats are just going a step too far,IMO.

Dare I ask what monsters are depicted on those tattoos? As much as I love Godzilla, I can't fathom getting his image permanently etched onto my skin.

Besides the money you spend has no bearing on what sort of a fan you are. Don't even play that game.

EDIT: BTW, anyone just love my avatar. Best scene in any Godzilla movie. :P

If the money spent equals how much of a fan you are,then we better get Jean in on this topic! :)

I don't have a Godzilla tattoo,but then again I don't have any tattoos whatsoever. If I was going to get one,Godzilla or some Showa era kaiju would probably get the nod. Not something newer like Orga or Megaguirus,it would have to be classic.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat May 24, 2008 2:05 pm

Legion....seriously dude. You are hounding this guy...however his comments may affect you, there is is a deffinite vibe of a few of you instigating and prolonging this for seemingly the pure sake of it.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Robert Saint John » Sat May 24, 2008 2:54 pm

HydroGojira wrote:I know its easy to get mad at the mods here cause they act like gods from my olympus, but bare with me, lets all get on the right track here.]

Gee, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about this thread right there. Why don't you drop me a PM to my address uphigh here on Mt Olympus and explain?

By the way, it's not optional this time. Remember this from 1/23/08?

mechascorpio wrote:
HydroGojira wrote:my god your a bunch of clowns...

Don't even go there. You started the thread, you asked a question, don't start calling people "clowns" because you don't like some of the responses. You can find plenty of other forums where that kind of discourse is welcome. This isn't one them.

people crying about closing this thread, you never let threads like this blossom cause your afraid it might catch on.

What are you talking about? Who requested the thread closed? Be specific, or feel free to admit you were wrong. While you're at it, please point to the other examples where this subject wasn't allowed to "blossom", because Godzilla knows that this topic has been discussed to death for years.
These are all rhetorical questions, btw. It's my way of saying that if you really want to let this thread "blossom", you'll relax a bit and show some respect for the opinions of the fellow members of MZ. Otherwise, I think you're looking for the Atari forums. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Your last attempt at educating us helped bring out the worst in someone and got them banned. You're mistaken if you think I'm going to let you continue to drop in periodically to stir it up and walk away. It's flamebaiting, it's against the rules, and you can consider yourself warned.

In the meantime, I'll be waiting for that PM that justifies your slam.
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat May 24, 2008 3:03 pm

I see there is history here...don't mean to take a "side" in this....just saying one group is acting like a pack of wolves while the other keeps taunting them. Alas, I dont really care either way, I frequent these boards mainly for news...when I want editorials or opinions I visit August's site or SciFi Japan...friendly banter rarelly remains so in these boards. You guys enjoy this I take it or you wouldn't do it. Ce la vi'
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Robert Saint John » Sat May 24, 2008 3:25 pm

Believe me, I don't enjoy it. I've got better things to do than babysit threads started for the purpose of creating drama.
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Re: To legion.

Postby bigknif » Sat May 24, 2008 3:33 pm

we77964 wrote:Godzilla is similar to Superman and Batman. They have a seriuos and dark origins and mysterious, but some elements in popluar culture allow some of the silliness in. Why do you think favor the modern Batman films over Adam West verison?

I don't know... I always liked Adam West... :D

I'll take Frank Gorshin over Jim Carrey any day too! :wink:
Bob Johnson
Co-Founder, co-editor
SciFi Japan

Executive Producer
Bay Area Film Events
www.bayareafilmevents.com

bigknif
Monster 01

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat May 24, 2008 3:36 pm

I don't believe you did, Mechascorpio...you seem to be level headed...I'm not gonna call names out. Don't suppose it matters anyways, just an opinion. Susspect that this thread has had shown all of it's potential and should be left alone, to die and wither away.
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby briizilla » Sat May 24, 2008 6:30 pm

There is more stupidity in this thread than I have seen in quite some time. Bravo Whopper boy, bravo!

And the original poster...not worth remembering your name, I doubt you'll be here for the long haul anyway....you're 29? Your writting style and asinine arguments would have led me to think more along the lines of 14 or 15 but hey maybe you got dropped on your head as a child. At least you have $500 worth of Godzilla tattoos to validate your moronic and flamebaiting ideas. And "WE THE FANS" can unite and force Toho to make the movie of "OUR" dreams? How cute. Stupid, but cute.

I love the "lets get back to what Godzillas creators intended" argument, it always makes me chuckle. Hey geniouses....I know it may be hard to beleive, but the same team that made G-54 also made Godzillas Revenge(well Eiji passed on during). So who are "YOU" to say what the creators intended Godzilla to end up as.

Follow me on this...I like Clint Eastwoods movies, almost all of them. Sometimes he is a cowboy. Or a cop, or a cat burgler, or a secret service agent. Some of his movies are dark and gritty...some are funny and pair him with an Orangutan. Godzilla is kind of like that and thats how Toho treats him. He plays a part in the movie. Sometimes he is the angel of death and sometimes he is a punch drunk superhero. Deal with it or find another hobby.

Either way, can you all go back to the little kids table and let the grown ups talk?
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sat May 24, 2008 7:18 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby August » Sat May 24, 2008 7:59 pm

Some comments:

1. $500 "worth" of tattoos, isn't a lot of quality tattoo work—or it is a lot of cheap tattoo work.

2. I always think outside of the box; I took off the cardboard/tinfoil helmet years ago.

3. Tsuburaya didn't "pass on" while they were making GODZILLA'S REVENGE; he wasn't able to because he was working on the Mitsubishi Pavilion film for Expo '70—GODZILLA'S REVENGE was released on 12/20/1969 and Tsuburaya passed away on 01/25/1970.
August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
BlogTHE GOOD, THE BAD AND GODZILLA
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby KaijuHQ » Sat May 24, 2008 8:02 pm

mechascorpio to Hydro Gojira wrote:Your last attempt at educating us helped bring out the worst in someone and got them banned. You're mistaken if you think I'm going to let you continue to drop in periodically to stir it up and walk away. It's flamebaiting, it's against the rules, and you can consider yourself warned.

Ah ha, so I was right, can I have a prize? Preferably cash? :wink:

Seriously though, after noticing he just posted and ran after Wednesday, I figured he was just trying to get a reaction out of everyone. Lame. Bravo on your post BTW briizilla.
KaijuHQ
Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat May 24, 2008 8:20 pm

On a side note, it'd be pretty wild if Godzilla's Revenge had mostly new effects footage.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby briizilla » Sat May 24, 2008 8:44 pm

3. Tsuburaya didn't "pass on" while they were making GODZILLA'S REVENGE; he wasn't able to because he was working on the Mitsubishi Pavilion film for Expo '70—GODZILLA'S REVENGE was released on 12/20/1969 and Tsuburaya passed away on 01/25/1970.

Yeah, I know my G-history unlike some of the assclowns posting in this thread, I just was in a rush and was trying to keep it simple.

The internet is awesome, because it can bring people with similar interests together to share their love or enjoyment of their particular hobby. Unfortunately it also brings out the most immature, stupid people around who use the annonimity of the web to act like total morons.

I really feel sorry for people like the original poster and whopperkid and even mac because they are to insecure with themselves to like something with a fantasy or child- like element to it, somehow if it fit their definition of "dark" or "adult" they would not be ashamed to enjoy it. These are the same meat heads who pick bar fights well into their 40s and 50s to somehow prove that they are still tough guys....the internet tough guy starts a flamebait thread to alienate everyone else and make themselves sound oh-so cool. I don't have time for morons like that in real life and I certainly don't need them trying to piss on what I enjoy in my free time.
Last edited by briizilla on Sat May 24, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Sat May 24, 2008 8:48 pm

So, what did I miss? lol

I'll just say this...either LOVE the genre/hobby that you've grown up with...or leave.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sat May 24, 2008 9:54 pm

August wrote:Some comments:

1. $500 "worth" of tattoos, isn't a lot of quality tattoo work—or it is a lot of cheap tattoo work.

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing. $500 is worth NOTHING in tattoos. That's probably proof that the OP was just lying. $500 won't get you much.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby briizilla » Sat May 24, 2008 11:04 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
August wrote:Some comments:

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing. $500 is worth NOTHING in tattoos. That's probably proof that the OP was just lying. $500 won't get you much.

I have 1 really good godzilla tat and it cost me close to $200.

I'm laying down odds, 10 to 1 says the OP has a mullet :lol:
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Sat May 24, 2008 11:24 pm

briizilla wrote:

Yeah, I know my G-history unlike some of the assclowns posting in this thread, I just was in a rush and was trying to keep it simple.

The internet is awesome, because it can bring people with similar interests together to share their love or enjoyment of their particular hobby. Unfortunately it also brings out the most immature, stupid people around who use the annonimity of the web to act like total morons.

I really feel sorry for people like the original poster and whopperkid and even mac because they are to insecure with themselves to like something with a fantasy or child- like element to it, somehow if it fit their definition of "dark" or "adult" they would not be ashamed to enjoy it. These are the same meat heads who pick bar fights well into their 40s and 50s to somehow prove that they are still tough guys....the internet tough guy starts a flamebait thread to alienate everyone else and make themselves sound oh-so cool. I don't have time for morons like that in real life and I certainly don't need them trying to piss on what I enjoy in my free time.

That's exactly what I was thinking,the "cool guy" that likes Batman,"but not that campy sh--",or plays video games,"but like cool ones not Mario he's gay lol" or so forth. Guess what,the outside world you're trying to impress doesn't think you're any cooler because you like your cartoons "gritty." If you tell some soccer mom you like comic books,she doesn't say,"Why don't you grow up...... UNLESS you're talking about Dark Knight Returns!"
If you're chatting up some hot chick and you're like "Hey baby,I play the video games in my basement all day,but just ones with blood." she's not going to suddenly jump your bones.
To most people,science fiction is dorky and childish,whether or not the characters curse,whether or not there's violent content,on a box,with a fox,whatever. It's not mainstream. Not even Star Wars,any more at least.
Either accept the fact that at 29 years of age you're your own person,or start posting on an American Idol message board and leave us alone.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!