You all know you want it.

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby kidnicky » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:19 pm

The movie was way too long. We had to meet and get to know the whole boat crew for what seemed like an eternity,only to never see them again after they got to New York. What's the point? And I'm sorry,the 3 V-Rexes against Kong was ludicrous. Ann would have died about 5 times before it was over. I did have fun watching the fight,but I also like Kaiju Big Battel. :)
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby GhostMachine » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:13 pm

I don't want to see another Godzilla\King Kong movie, because they'd either have to use GINO or a souped-up, overpowered Kong just like in the first G vs. KK movie.

Godzilla vs. Gamera could be done, but you'd have to use a less powerful version of Godzilla, like the GMK Godzilla, for Gamera to have any chance of walking away in one piece. Even if they did something like make his shell able to deflect Godzilla's breath.
http://kaijuville.myminicity.com/sec - Please click if you don't mind
GhostMachine
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Legion » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:43 pm

GhostMachine wrote:
Godzilla vs. Gamera could be done, but you'd have to use a less powerful version of Godzilla, like the GMK Godzilla, for Gamera to have any chance of walking away in one piece. Even if they did something like make his shell able to deflect Godzilla's breath.

How is the GMK Godzilla less powerful? Many fans believe that Godzilla is one of the more powerful Godzillas of the last 10 years. I think a better Godzilla for Gamera to go up against would be the Godzilla from GxM and Tokyo SOS.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:24 pm

Legion wrote:
GhostMachine wrote:

How is the GMK Godzilla less powerful? Many fans believe that Godzilla is one of the more powerful Godzillas of the last 10 years. I think a better Godzilla for Gamera to go up against would be the Godzilla from GxM and Tokyo SOS.

I kind of thought GMK Godzilla was TOO powerful. Like pre-Crisis Superman.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:41 pm

GMK Godzilla was backed by the power of the thousands of vengeful souls that died during WWI.....I believe that's enough fuel to allow him to bring about earthly armaggeddon whenever he feels like it.

IF TOHO were to bring about another Godzilla movie with that version, it'd be the Godzilla I think we've all been waiting to see - and unstoppable, unrelenting, seemingly immortal killer vs the world.

I also thin kwe should have a new guardian....Mothra's been played out. What would you guys feel about King Seesar as the new guardian? Or Rodan? Maybe even a decently menacing-looking King Ghidorah?
"A Man is truly dead when he is forgotten. Don't let them forget you. Ever."
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:11 pm

Temjin wrote:
IF TOHO were to bring about another Godzilla movie with that version, it'd be the Godzilla I think we've all been waiting to see - and unstoppable, unrelenting, seemingly immortal killer vs the world.

Ugh no. One movie with a Godzilla like that is certainly enough for me.

I also thin kwe should have a new guardian....Mothra's been played out. What would you guys feel about King Seesar as the new guardian? Or Rodan? Maybe even a decently menacing-looking King Ghidorah?

Man you just want another GMK.
Seeing King Seasar in FW was enough for me so I dont care if he ever returns again. As for Ghidora - if they do start a new series and if Ghidora reappears I want him to be a villian. And not just any villian. I want a Ghidora thats more like the showa version.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Ultra T-Rex » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:31 pm

Legion wrote:As for Ghidora - if they do start a new series and if Ghidora reappears I want him to be a villian. And not just any villian. I want a Ghidora thats more like the showa version.

Hear, hear!

And (I am aware I've stated this countless times) while we're at it, how 'bout a MechaGodzilla closer to the Showa version as well? :P
Ultra T-Rex
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Legion » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:04 pm

Ultra T-Rex wrote:
And (I am aware I've stated this countless times) while we're at it, how 'bout a MechaGodzilla closer to the Showa version as well? :P

I wouldnt mind that either. But since two out of the last year Godzilla movies featured MG I think I've had enough of the character for a while.

I'm willing to bet if a new Godzilla series starts soon we'll probably get a real appearance by Hedora, and not some 2 second cameo.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby KaiserGhidorah » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:18 pm

kidnicky wrote: And I'm sorry,the 3 V-Rexes against Kong was ludicrous. Ann would have died about 5 times before it was over. I did have fun watching the fight,but I also like Kaiju Big Battel. :)

That was easily the best part of the film. It's extremely well executed and just lots of fun.

Temjin wrote:IF TOHO were to bring about another Godzilla movie with that version, it'd be the Godzilla I think we've all been waiting to see - and unstoppable, unrelenting, seemingly immortal killer vs the world.

I believe the GMK godzilla was the closest to that description as you're going to get unless Kaneko returns (which I personally hope he does).

Temjin wrote:I also thin kwe should have a new guardian....Mothra's been played out. What would you guys feel about King Seesar as the new guardian? Or Rodan? Maybe even a decently menacing-looking King Ghidorah?

Mothra doesn't need to return ever. King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla both need a LONG rest. As someone mentioned previously, after King Caesar's performance in GFW - I don't feel as if he needs to be brought back. He isn't the most charismatic Toho creation you know. Rodan was also brought back for GFW and was executed flawlessly IMO. Of the above mentioned, my vote goes to Rodan.

I still say Godzilla vs Gamera is the way to go or maybe Godzilla can fight against a creature resembling Daimajin. Just a thought......
KaiserGhidorah
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:50 am

As overused as I think Mothra has become, I think it would be really sad to see her retire from these movies. I don't want Mothra to go anywhere, or Rodan, King Ghidorah, or any of the true classic monsters. They are like Toho's Frankenstein, Dracula, and Wolf Man (comparing to Toho monsters to Universal monsters). Speaking of which...

kidnicky wrote:Godzilla invented the Freddy vs. Jason mentality!

I'm pretty sure that was Universal when they made Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, House of Frankenstein (Universal's "Destroy All Monsters" if you will), etc.

Benjamin Haines wrote:
kidnicky wrote:And in a way,I think PJ Kong was skewed towards the MTV idiot demographic.

Nah. If King Kong (2005) was aimed for the dud-minded 15-24 crowd, it would have been 90 minutes long. Nary a common MTV-type teen/young adult has the patience nor the attention span to appreciate a movie regardless of length.

So true.

And while I'm here I might as well say that I didn't think PJ's King Kong was too long at all... I don't think 3 hours is long for a movie. And it certainly isn't "too long." None of the LOTR movies, Seven Samurai, the Deer Hunter, the Three Treasures, Kong 05, etc. are "too long" for me. I wouldn't call any of those long. As someone else pointed out in another thread a while ago, movies should be longer anyway with tickets being $10 a piece. I don't wanna pay $10 for a movie that is barley an hour and a half.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Temjin » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:11 am

Legion wrote:
Temjin wrote:

Ugh no. One movie with a Godzilla like that is certainly enough for me.

That's not what I meant. Anyone remember that early draft of Godzilla 2000, where the whole world was against him because he was uber-powerful? That's what I mean.

Legion wrote:
Temjin wrote:I also think we should have a new guardian....Mothra's been played out. What would you guys feel about King Seesar as the new guardian? Or Rodan? Maybe even a decently menacing-looking King Ghidorah?

Man you just want another GMK.
Seeing King Seasar in FW was enough for me so I dont care if he ever
returns again. As for Ghidora - if they do start a new series and if Ghidora reappears I want him to be a villian. And not just any villian. I want a Ghidora thats more like the showa version.

No, I don't. I never said anything even RELATING to me wanting another GMK. One is enough.

"Guardian" - wasn't Mothra the "guardian" of earth in the Heisei movies? What about in the showa movies - didn't she serve that purpose as well? even in Final Wars - wasn't she called upon because earth was close to destruction?

I just meant that IF a new series starts, they need to reestablish themselves - find new roles for refurbished classics. Make a more dragon-like Ghidorah to be the supposed guardian of Japan, like in real legend, something like the Orochi.

Then again....Rodan needs more airtime. I think he established himself as a force to be reckoned with in GFW, but he didn't have the backing to show more. Then he jobs to Godzilla...:( So now, making him someone important to guarantee his involvement in the franchise would do wonders for his image.

I mean, who wouldn't want to see Rodan in action again?:D

I also want Kiryu to return,but at the same time, I wanna see a new Mechagodzilla, complete with death rays and hyper-martian weaponry. Bring him back, introduce him as a trojan horse, then let him loose on the world in grand fashion. Heck, go all-out and remake that classic scene from the movie, where Godzilla battles himself, only to find out it's Mecha.

Make Mechagodzilla the same badass that used Anguilas/Anguirus as a rug-beater.

THEN....bring in Kiryu...:wink:
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:32 am

MouthForWar wrote:As overused as I think Mothra has become, I think it would be really sad to see her retire from these movies. I don't want Mothra to go anywhere, or Rodan, King Ghidorah, or any of the true classic monsters. They are like Toho's Frankenstein, Dracula, and Wolf Man (comparing to Toho monsters to Universal monsters). Speaking of which...

kidnicky wrote:Godzilla invented the Freddy vs. Jason mentality!

I'm pretty sure that was Universal when they made Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, House of Frankenstein (Universal's "Destroy All Monsters" if you will), etc.

Benjamin Haines wrote:
kidnicky wrote:And in a way,I think PJ Kong was skewed towards the MTV idiot demographic.

Nah. If King Kong (2005) was aimed for the dud-minded 15-24 crowd, it would have been 90 minutes long. Nary a common MTV-type teen/young adult has the patience nor the attention span to appreciate a movie regardless of length.

So true.

And while I'm here I might as well say that I didn't think PJ's King Kong was too long at all... I don't think 3 hours is long for a movie. And it certainly isn't "too long." None of the LOTR movies, Seven Samurai, the Deer Hunter, the Three Treasures, Kong 05, etc. are "too long" for me. I wouldn't call any of those long. As someone else pointed out in another thread a while ago, movies should be longer anyway with tickets being $10 a piece. I don't wanna pay $10 for a movie that is barley an hour and a half.

The Godzilla inventing vs. movies was kind of a humorous comment,but while I'm aware of Universal's vs. series,Godzilla is seen as synonomous with vs. films,whereas the Universal ones have been forgotten for the most part.

And I don't think 3 hours is too long for a movie in general,but when the first hour could be cut with no ill effect,then yes the film is too long. If they showed the setup scene with Denham getting Ann to come along,then went straight to the arrival at the island,you wouldn't know anything was cut. The boat stuff is filler,we learn about Jimmy and the other guy's father/son relationship. Later,the other guy is killed,Jimmy gets pissed,and we never see Jimmy again. What's the point?
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Legion » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:40 pm

I loved Kiryu but I think I think two movies was enough for that concept. Mechagodzilla in general needs a nice long vacation and when he does show up again I think it's time for him to play the bad guy once again.

As for Ghidora - honestly I just hated the guardian idea from GMK. HATED it. Like I said before it's time for the showa Ghidora to make a comeback.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:05 pm

I understand GMK is it's own story that doesn't include the Showa continuity,but having Ghidorah be a guardian is just retarded. In the next Batman movie,will Joker be the hero? They'd never consider it.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Xenorama » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:50 pm

Universal's movies have hardly been forgotten- they got a DVD release LONG before most of the Godzilla movies...

David
Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:57 pm

Xenorama wrote:Universal's movies have hardly been forgotten- they got a DVD release LONG before most of the Godzilla movies...

David

Yeah, really. The Universal films are probably more well known than any Godzilla movie.

Legion wrote:I loved Kiryu but I think I think two movies was enough for that concept. Mechagodzilla in general needs a nice long vacation and when he does show up again I think it's time for him to play the bad guy once again.

As for Ghidora - honestly I just hated the guardian idea from GMK. HATED it. Like I said before it's time for the showa Ghidora to make a comeback.

Thing about Kiryu is that he's interesting as hell in that he IS the original Godzilla and he goes on rampages, but these things are barley ever touched upon in either of those movies. Its a brilliant idea that's barley in those movies. They could have done so much with that but instead they just rehashed the old movies.

And about King Ghidorah and GMK, it would have been SOOO much better if Toho just let Kaneko use Angilas and Varan like he intended to.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby kidnicky » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:15 pm

Universal's original "one monster" films like Dracula and Frankenstein are obviously well-known and loved classics,and with good reason. But their later Vs. films are really only remembered by hardcore horror film buffs,not the general public.
On the other hand,most members of the general public hear "Godzilla" and instantly think of giant scale monster battles with "Vs." in the title.
That's what I was trying to say.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Legion » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:15 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
And about King Ghidorah and GMK, it would have been SOOO much better if Toho just let Kaneko use Angilas and Varan like he intended to.

Definitely. That goes without saying.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby gojira138 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:15 am

That would have been really cool. Toho came up with a really cool Anguirus design for FW..imagine what kaneko could have done, and Varan would have been a nice treat.

As for GMK Ghidorah...him being a good guy....i say Nay Nay....agreed with Legion that we need the Showa King Ghidorah back..or at least Grand Kinh Ghidorah from Mothra 3.
Buy Vinyl, Fresh Vinyl!
www.freshvinylhq.com
gojira138
Godzilla Jr.

Postby william newell » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:52 am

Personally, I'm not overly fond of another "vs." type movie. I say go back to Godzilla being the only monster in the film, with the main difference being that mankind has developed large 'Mechs which can be used to battle Godzilla. Something kinda like this...
Now I know that there has been something similiar in both Mecha-G and Mogeura(hope I spelled that right!)but both designs seemed a little over engineered to me(although Showa Mecha-Godzilla and Kiryu both made sense in their respective movies, Mecha-Godzilla '93 however just seemed far beyond the realm of belief,imo) and seem a little too close to just outright fantasy, not that that's really a bad thing, it's just I would like to see something that looks more like it could be an actual military weapon. I mean, how cool would it be to see mankind facing off against Godzilla with the usual line-up of conventional weaponry(tanks and howitzers)along with the Maser Tanks, when up strides a whole group of piloted 'mechs that would be closer to Godzilla's own size.
I probably haven't explained this as well as I should(got a lot on my mind right now)but hopefully you can see where I'm coming from. Anyway, it's just a thought...
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:16 am

Hahahah I love the use of Macross mecha in that display. I can see a really cool movie coming from that idea, although it sort of got shot down with the whole Godzilla vs. Gunhed thing.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby Temjin » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:07 am

Godzilla vs Gunhed.....Hmmm....That sounds good....

Imagine Godzilla fighting those mechs or even better - going to the island of machines!!!

I can also see Godzilla vs Gundam 8th MS Team...:P

By the way, seeing as we've jacked up the vs count, I vote for changing the topic's name to "Godzilla VS Discussion" or something like that...

BTW, Ultraman's still a jerk. I saw how he manhandled some obese Kaiju on Tiga....that ain't right. :P
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby KaiserGhidorah » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:17 am

Legion wrote:As for Ghidora - honestly I just hated the guardian idea from GMK. HATED it. Like I said before it's time for the showa Ghidora to make a comeback.

I didn't mind Ghidorah in the role as it was something new for him but I will agree that KG shouldn't return as a guardian anytime soon. I didn't mind him being a good guy but let's just leave it as a one time shot. If anyone is to blame for that though it would have to be Toho as they forced it upon Kaneko to use Ghidorah and Mothra instead of Anguiras and Varan.
KaiserGhidorah
Godzilla

Postby yeast » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:29 am

I fully agree with Temjin, we need more incarnations like the Godzilla Kaneko gave us. I don't know why fans clamour for more waterd down heisei like Portrayals used as recently as GxMG/SOS.

If Toho plans another solo G outing(which I hope they do) when Godzilla returns. A renlentless angry Godzilla with ties to the Honda/Kaneko mythos is definitely the way to go. A Godzilla so powerful and scary that he truly beacomes a threat to the whole world and a HUGE battle between him and humans would be somthing id love to see.

Kaneko was on the right track in making Godzilla's original meaning and message relavent again, the series desperately needs more films like this and far less beam wars.
yeast

Postby gojira138 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:27 pm

KaiserGhidorah wrote:I didn't mind Ghidorah in the role as it was something new for him but I will agree that KG shouldn't return as a guardian anytime soon. I didn't mind him being a good guy but let's just leave it as a one time shot. If anyone is to blame for that though it would have to be Toho as they forced it upon Kaneko to use Ghidorah and Mothra instead of Anguiras and Varan.

i agree with that..i mean at least Godzilla and Ghidorah were still enimies...maybe if we pretend that Mothra, Ghidorah and Baragon were the bad bad guys and Godzilla was..the bad guy...it all works out..

even so..it still kicked butt...and GMK was and is an awsome movie!
Buy Vinyl, Fresh Vinyl!
www.freshvinylhq.com
gojira138
Godzilla Jr.

PreviousNext

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!