Godzilla: The Planet Eater (spoilers)

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Godzilla: The Planet Eater (spoilers)

Postby Mexigojira » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:25 am

lhb412 wrote:
Mexigojira wrote:Been reading some reviews, as far as I've read, I think at the end, people just wanted a Godzilla fight.

Well, besides the fridging of Yuko and the Shobijin fetish (the only things I found truly disagreeable) the trilogy's cardinal sin is being boring, not by virtue of being uninteresting, but by virtue of everything taking too long.

I think everything could be cut down, including the Godzilla scenes, especially in the third one. In terms of pacing I think the second movie is the best. I'd largely leave that one untouched. With the first movie I'd cut down the Godzilla Centric second half. Many complained about the spaceship-bound first part of the movie, but that's all necessary for the plot. The third movie can just be whittled down everywhere, and more brevity would have lent to the story's tension and suspense, instead of allowing those things to dissipate. The horror of a helpless Godzilla being drawn into the sky loses effect when you're seeing basically the same shot with little difference over and over again. It's the difference between "how will they ever get out of this?" and "this is taking so long that I no longer care."

Wonder if going with an episodic anime instead of three movies would have give more space to character develpment, pacing, maybe the chance to see more of earth's fauna (by part two and three, they were put aside)

Speaking of an episodic anime, I still think next time a new anime show more focudes on the classic formula could be a good idea, even if the concept it's not original, something like Destroy all monsters, the ultra series, H-B Godzilla and Godzilla: the series, with a group of scientist and kaijus, it could work.
"There are 4 things that I've learned to dont discuss, because they end with people killing each other: Religion, politics, sports, and logic on anime and kaiju movies"

Anibal
Mexigojira
Heisei Godzilla

Previous

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!