'Godzilla-Anime.com' Domain Name Registered Under Toho

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: 'Godzilla-Anime.com' Domain Name Registered Under Toho

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:41 am

lhb412 wrote:I think after GINO there was this idea of the purity of the Godzilla concept that everyone go hung up on.

Now after Shin Godzilla everyone's just like "oh, Godzilla's a vegetable now. That's cool. When's the movie coming out?"

It's interesting how the fandom's general perception of Godzilla has evolved over time. Seeing new takes on the character committed to film by Toho certainly widens the scope of what Godzilla can be. I think the paradigm shift also has a lot to do with a broader change in the public's perception of film franchise continuity.

When Toho made a conscientious decision to mostly reboot the Godzilla series in 1984, that was unprecedented. To make the 16th Godzilla movie a direct sequel to the 1st which ignored the 2nd through 15th entries was downright weird. It was the kind of thing that required explaining and understanding for Godzilla fans and that established a paradigm. When I became a fan in 1998, I remember how distinctly the Godzilla films were defined. There was the classic series and the current series, the old and the new, and the original film was the foundation of both distinct series that kept them quasi-connected. The notion that Toho would do another mostly-reboot in the future was hardly considered. Before Godzilla 2000 existed, fans would speculate about whether Toho would return to making Godzilla movies, and if so, what would happen to the full-grown Junior?

Plus, at that time there was a lingering air of negativity about the fact that Toho ever needed to mostly reboot the series in the first place. The common refrain was that the Godzilla series started out strong and then devolved into kiddie fare that moviegoers rejected, forcing what was then the only major hiatus in the series history until Toho decided to shed the Showa sequels from the continuity and reconnect their modern output with the original film. The Heisei Series was really popular with American fans in the late '90s and it was seen as a successful course correction. Nobody was thinking that Toho would feel the need to wipe the slate mostly clean yet again. Years after Godzilla vs. Destroyer, fans were still regarding the Heisei films not as a self-contained continuity that was already over but as THE Godzilla series, which had survived over 40 years and endured cinematic ridicule and apparent demise only to emerge as something modern and cool.

The Millennium Series really obliterated that whole paradigm. Toho did indeed make another mostly-reboot, and then another, and another, and another! Then they made a sequel to the previous year's film, only to then finish the series with another mostly-reboot! Suddenly the frequency of new Godzilla movies was no longer linked to Toho's ability to maintain a steady continuity. Then came the second major hiatus in the history of the franchise, and once again it managed to bounce back. Now Godzilla has an ongoing Hollywood film series and an upcoming anime feature trilogy, while the latest live-action entry from Japan was not another mostly-reboot but a full-fledged reboot, finally freeing Toho from the taboo that every Godzilla movie they produce must be a sequel to the 1954 film.

While Godzilla was on his most recent hiatus, Hollywood developed a habit of rebooting iconic characters with new film adaptations that aren't beholden to classic continuity, and the internet has pervaded our culture so deeply that it's easier than ever for people to understand the concept of multiple continuities and keep up with them. I think all of that has made Godzilla fandom (relatively) less reactionary toward new takes on the character. It used to be that the present state of the series was how the fandom defined Godzilla as a character but now the latest individual takes are largely regarded as self-contained by default.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:33 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:Before Godzilla 2000 existed, fans would speculate about whether Toho would return to making Godzilla movies, and if so, what would happen to the full-grown Junior?

That's interesting, because my memory as a fan in the mid-to-late-90s is of most people accepting GvsD as the ending of what many of us then called the "Vs. Series," and taking it for granted that when Toho brought the character back, it would be with a new continuity.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:29 pm

Trying to remember hard to believe its been 20+ years...I recall really enjoying the ending of Destoroyah, as heartbreaking as it was... :wink: (I was fortunate enough to get all these films on bootleg VHS the next summer after their release...throughout the 90's). Of course while there was the Mothra Trilogy and Sony's GODZILLA to "entertain" us from 1996-1998, in my mind I figured that we would be stuck with the Sony franchise for multiple sequels. To be honest, I don't think I actually thought about the future of Godzilla with Toho. When the new movie was announced, I was kind of shocked. I think the first thought in my mind probably was hoping for a continuation from the end of Destoroyah, but I seem to recall pretty early on, it was clearly established that the new Godzilla (what would become Millennium), would be a fresh start. Though admittedly, when I saw it in theaters, I wondered if it was a continuation since there was no origin story...

I am honestly excited for this trilogy of animated films. I still hope someday we get a 30 minute format 50+ episode series, but for now, this will certainly be interesting to see how it continues to develop.
Film Wish List:1. Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening/closing credits
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:24 pm

eabaker wrote:That's interesting, because my memory as a fan in the mid-to-late-90s is of most people accepting GvsD as the ending of what many of us then called the "Vs. Series," and taking it for granted that when Toho brought the character back, it would be with a new continuity.

I have some vague recollection of confusion during the G2K/Megaguirus times with people wondering whether or not this was continuing from the Heisei series and this new Godzilla was Jr.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Baltan II » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:50 pm

lhb412 wrote:
eabaker wrote:That's interesting, because my memory as a fan in the mid-to-late-90s is of most people accepting GvsD as the ending of what many of us then called the "Vs. Series," and taking it for granted that when Toho brought the character back, it would be with a new continuity.

I have some vague recollection of confusion during the G2K/Megaguirus times with people wondering whether or not this was continuing from the Heisei series and this new Godzilla was Jr.

Yeah, this is definitely the aspect of the discussion post-Godzilla 2000 that I recall. Some fans clearly saw the distinction in series and accepted that, while others jumped to thinking that Junior was Mire-Goji. It was also frequently assumed that Megaguirus was a sequel to G2K despite the minor shift in Godzilla's color and the movie's backstory presenting a differing history of events.
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:06 am

I'm just going by my memory of reading Godzilla websites in 1998 and 1999. When GINO was new and G2K hadn't been made yet, the speculation I read about Toho potentially making a new Japanese Godzilla movie tended to be framed around Godzilla Junior. 'Will we get to see Godzilla Junior carry on his father's legacy?' or 'Will Toho start fresh with another direct sequel to the first movie and leave Godzilla Junior's tales untold?'

I also remember a lot of Amazon user reviews for Sony's Godzilla 2000 VHS and DVD that had fans declaring it to be the first of Godzilla Junior's adult adventures. That happened even though places like Barry's Temple of Godzilla and Monster Zero News made it clear that Godzilla 2000 was not a continuation of the Heisei Series.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:23 pm

Baltan II wrote:Yeah, this is definitely the aspect of the discussion post-Godzilla 2000 that I recall. Some fans clearly saw the distinction in series and accepted that, while others jumped to thinking that Junior was Mire-Goji. It was also frequently assumed that Megaguirus was a sequel to G2K despite the minor shift in Godzilla's color and the movie's backstory presenting a differing history of events.

I guess it was GMK's definitive place outside continuity that really cemented the break in some people's minds.

... but back on topic: we're about two months away from the Japanese theatrical release. Seems to me they're doing a similar campaign to Shin at this point: the statues are touring about and big posters and banners on buildings. Wonder if anime Godzilla will sponsor as many products as Shin did?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:17 pm

lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:30 pm

Well, isn't it kind of cheating to tie your movie into a holiday that happens over two weeks before your movie comes out? I guess it really doesn't matter. Okay, fine: Godzilla rules Halloween!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 am

angilas wrote:
klen7 wrote:They've done so many crossover promotions in the past few years... Evangelion, Shin Chan, Rugby, Nissan, Honda, Baseball team, Soccer/Football team, the depressed Egg character, Edamame (, Snickers, Fiat)

Don't forget Hamtaro!

Hello Kitty, Hamataro...hell, even Mr Hanky the talking Christmas turd are all better crossovers than the GxEvangelion garbage we've had to stomach since Shin-Godzilla...my signature quote says it all 8)
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby angilas » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:16 pm

lhb412 wrote:

Didn't some early scripts for GFW have that Godzilla as an older Jr? And that was why they stuck with the 100m size? Or am I just misremembering?
Crazy how I can still remember dropping my Big Mac 20+ years ago when I saw on CNN that Tomoyuki Tanaka died but I can't remember recent fact vs fiction with certainty in my head.
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:05 pm

angilas wrote:Didn't some early scripts for GFW have that Godzilla as an older Jr? And that was why they stuck with the 100m size? Or am I just misremembering?

That was reported in G-Fan magazine just a few years ago (or so I've read online; I don't subscribe to the magazine).

I'm skeptical because there was not a peep about that back in 2004 when Final Wars was being made, and websites like Monster Zero News and Henshin!Online covered the production thoroughly at the time. That idea certainly isn't something that Ryuhei Kitamura would have considered once he signed on, since he was open about his disdain for the post-Showa Godzilla movies.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:49 am

lhb412 wrote:I think after GINO there was this idea of the purity of the Godzilla concept that everyone go hung up on.

Now after Shin Godzilla everyone's just like "oh, Godzilla's a vegetable now. That's cool. When's the movie coming out?"

I don't think we should be hung up on origins so much as what comes after. G98 wasn't GINO because he was an iguana exactly but because of the way he looked and acted. They could have done something cooler like the animated series but they didn't. Now that we have multiple Godzillas going on at the same time from different creators in different mediums I think we should expect and look forward to new versions. It's almost what the Millennium series should have been.

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Hello Kitty, Hamataro...hell, even Mr Hanky the talking Christmas turd are all better crossovers than the GxEvangelion garbage we've had to stomach since Shin-Godzilla...my signature quote says it all 8)

angilas wrote:Didn't some early scripts for GFW have that Godzilla as an older Jr? And that was why they stuck with the 100m size? Or am I just misremembering?

The 100m scale had people thinking it was meant to be a Heisei continuation at first but really it had to do with making less detailed model buildings because Kitamura spent money in other areas and the special effects crew had less to work with.
~ Tyler

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
tbeasley
Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:08 pm

hopefully we will see Entzilla get into some good fights.
Academy Days by henry88 aka Ghost of Criswell
https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3299939/1/Academy-Days
mind dropping a review or perhaps sharing some ideas via pm
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:02 am

Nothing i've seen yet leads me to think there will be anything other than "little" Gyaos birds and spaceship fights.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:35 pm

Henry88 wrote:hopefully we will see Entzilla get into some good fights.

Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:05 pm

klen7 wrote:Nothing i've seen yet leads me to think there will be anything other than "little" Gyaos birds and spaceship fights.

In this first movie? I expect humans vs. Godzilla is the main event, but for the total trilogy package? I fully expect Gen Orobuchi to throw a few narrative monkey wrenches at us in this thing. Whatever cliffhanger the first movie ends on may point to a story radically different from the one we're being sold now.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:35 am

Google translate's not an exact science, but this:

https://twitter.com/GODZILLA_ANIME/stat ... 3963268096

- seems to say that the Godzilla anime is getting a prequel novel released later this month. Here's Google's take:

Novel "GODZILLA Monster Revelation" released on 10/25! "Why did mankind have to throw away the home that is home?" In publication, comments arrived from Mr. Kurobuchi who also served as a novel supervisor! "The destruction of the human race. This will be a direct flight to the monster planet. Please look forward to it!

It'd be nice if someone translated this for an English release, as it's close enough to the light novels with associated anime which are sometimes brought over here
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:15 pm

We've got theme music... apparently?

https://twitter.com/GODZILLA_ANIME/stat ... 0449139712

Google translate again:

The theme song of this work also provides songs to the movie "Dark Knight", and it is decided to be "WHITE OUT" which the super-large newcomer female artist XAI - Sa - produced by Mr. Masayuki Nakano Producing worldwide popularity boasts Big Bang Satellites!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:00 pm

Dude who scored Spacegodzilla and G2K is doing the score.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:49 am

lhb412 wrote:Dude who scored Spacegodzilla and G2K is doing the score.

oof. Two of my least favorite Godzilla scores of the past 40 years.

Hopefully he can bring something to this that he didn't to those.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:44 pm

^Well, if I'm reading his imdb right Spacegodzilla was his first film score and he's become a pretty accomplished composer for movies, TV, and anime so he certainly has much more experience now.

?

I mean, Masuro Sato did a forgettable score for GRA when he was starting out and then turned out classics for Jun Fukuda a decade later.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:49 pm

I quite like the soundtracks to GvsSG and G2K when played on their own, but they don't stand out for me much in the context of the movies.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:33 pm

I think Takayuki Hattori's soundtrack to Godzilla 2000 is great and there's some good music in his Godzlla vs. Spacegodzilla score too. I also really like the fact that we've got a series veteran composing the music for a new Godzilla movie. He'll have a Heisei flick, a Millennium entry, and at least one film in the anime trilogy under his belt.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:15 pm

Behold, the tie-in with a brand of pens!

Yeah, the end of Godzilla's tail being a pen actually kinda freaks me out.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!