Registration needs to be Fixed.

Board-wide announcements & FAQs, general fan concerns, site problems, suggestions for new features, etc.

Moderator: Controllers

Registration needs to be Fixed.

Postby Mac » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:33 pm

I know quite a few people who'd like to join this board, but because of email authentication problems can't. I even had the same problem when I joined. This may be why the board has had such a lack of new members. Can't the boards just have open registration?
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Baltan II » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:06 pm

I can already tell you from the "newest member" at the bottom of the index that the reason they don't have open registration is because of spambots. As rarely as any mods are on, I can see why they'd lock up registration.

That's not to say there isn't some better way to allow newer members to register, however. They'll have to answer that part of your question.
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby kpa » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:26 pm

Baltan II, the admins here check the boards every single day.

We receive several membership requests every day. Gene Cahill goes through each and every one to weed out spammers, banned people who may be trying to sneak back in, etc. If you have suggestions on how to streamline things please PM Gene (his user name is The Gene Lantern). There's always room for improvements, but I will say the system as is has been very effective... I think only one person has been banned in the past two years.

If you know someone who's having trouble registering pass their info on to Gene. If he knows the new member is legit he can add them pretty quickly.
Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby The Gene Lantern » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:16 pm

kpa wrote:Baltan II, the admins here check the boards every single day.

We receive several membership requests every day. Gene Cahill goes through each and every one to weed out spammers, banned people who may be trying to sneak back in, etc. If you have suggestions on how to streamline things please PM Gene (his user name is The Gene Lantern). There's always room for improvements, but I will say the system as is has been very effective... I think only one person has been banned in the past two years.

If you know someone who's having trouble registering pass their info on to Gene. If he knows the new member is legit he can add them pretty quickly.

Thanks Keith :)

Mac, I am certainly not aware of any "email authentication problems". Due to bots and spammers we have free e-mail accounts banned; a new registration need to be done using an ISP issued e-mail account (which most everyone has).

Open registration..ha! You obviously have never admined a message board before. I unbanned g-mail for one day and was literally inundated with spam and bot registrations.

It's not broke, so I ain't fixing it :)
"The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen, and we call them miracles." -The 11th Doctor, The Pandorica Opens
The Gene Lantern
Monster 01

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:36 pm

^interesting...

i know i definitely did NOT register through an ISP provided address because, well... i don't KNOW my ISP provided address...

EDIT: but I see I registered using my old college e-mail address...wish i could change that...i don't even have access to that account anymore.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby The Gene Lantern » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:50 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:^interesting...

i know i definitely did NOT register through an ISP provided address because, well... i don't KNOW my ISP provided address...

EDIT: but I see I registered using my old college e-mail address...wish i could change that...i don't even have access to that account anymore.

Hey Jelly :)

Just send me your updated e-mail address via IM and I'll update your account. I have no issue adding a free e-mail account to an established profile once a person has been active a while.
"The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen, and we call them miracles." -The 11th Doctor, The Pandorica Opens
The Gene Lantern
Monster 01

Postby kiryugoji04 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:53 am

Is still a thing? Because I still know several people who'd love to come post here and can't because of the email issues that have been discussed. We really need some new blood around here.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:58 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:Is still a thing? Because I still know several people who'd love to come post here and can't because of the email issues that have been discussed. We really need some new blood around here.

I agree. It's great if the system we has works, but there has to be alternatives. Other boards manage to function fine, and as Jared said we really do need some new blood.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:02 am

I mean, I do enjoy the company we keep here for the most part but it could really stand to be more lively. The email system seems to be a big part of what's holding us back.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Hamster » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:54 am

I'm not around here very often, but part of the reason is because of the lack of new faces that come around. I agree that there needs to be a solution to stop spambots, but I don't think that banning free emails is the ideal solution. I don't know anyone who pays for their email account anymore unless they own a promotional website or some kind.
I'm going to turn into my multi-armed form and yell at your general direction.
Hamster
Baby Godzilla

Postby Baltan II » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:53 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:Other boards manage to function fine

I wonder if it has something to do with the age of ClubTokyo, as I have no idea what version of phpbb this place uses. As a mod on TokuNation and with experience being an admin at other forums, I know all sorts of spambot databases exist these days and every so often a spam account might get through, but that risk is miniscule compared to the benefits of a thriving community.
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:24 am

I believe my e-mail here is an AOL account from ten years ago.

Yikes.

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to register here now. I love this board, but we need to change.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:01 am

lhb412 wrote:I believe my e-mail here is an AOL account from ten years ago.

Yikes.

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to register here now. I love this board, but we need to change.

Yeah mine is hotmail. So I wouldn't be able to either. :/
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:03 am

MekaGojira3k wrote:
lhb412 wrote:I believe my e-mail here is an AOL account from ten years ago.

Yikes.

Yeah mine is hotmail. So I wouldn't be able to either. :/

Same here. :lol:
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby DannyBeane » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:03 am

What is the registration problem?
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:08 am

All of the free email services are blocked from registering. You either have to have your own domain with email services or you have to use a business/school/government issued email.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby DannyBeane » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:25 am

metal_bryan wrote:All of the free email services are blocked from registering. You either have to have your own domain with email services or you have to use a business/school/government issued email.
Oh well that sucks. My email addresses are aol and gmail.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:08 am

I was only able to join because I had a work email address which I'd never accessed. Had to have the IT department set me up just so that I could join this site, and I haven't checked that email account again since. Had I still been working as, say, an SAT prep teacher, I would have had no work-provided email address, and thus would not have been able to join the site. I was no more spam then than I am now.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:13 am

I registered in 2004 using my mom's ISP-provided email address which I've since changed to my college email. Once I graduate all I'll use will be my Hotmail and Gmail accounts, so that would also put me in the 'couldn't register now' boat.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Return to Announcements, FAQs, Suggestions and Help