[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Godzilla 60th Anniversary Events in Japan • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Godzilla 60th Anniversary Events in Japan

This forum is for Festivals, Shows, and Convention Information, as well as information on Godzilla, Kaiju related Exhibitions and Displays, and screenings of Kaiju Films in the theatre and on television. Also discuss and alert others to fandom activities. Discuss fanzines, local fan gatherings and clubs, alert others to your G-related websites, etc. Meet and greet other fans! Have a ball!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla 60th Anniversary Events in Japan

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:10 am

This thread isn't very active, but if anyone is interested, I went to this very cool Godzilla exhibit last week at Sunshine City in Ikebukuro, Tokyo. It was a great experience to see all this stuff up close!

Unfortunately, I was limited to what I could take photos off, as the majority of showa/heisei related suits and props were off limits to photos (Japan is very strict about enforcing rules in general, and each room had a guard who was watching everyone like a hawk...I wasn't about to try them). Basically, the suits from GMK, GSOS, and GFW were the ones we were allowed to photograph.

Some interesting items I saw were Gigan's buzzsaw (the only part remaining from the suit, and it was nearly black in color from age) some train cars that were attacked by Kong in KKvG, some jet fighter props from both G54 and GvsGigan, the helicopter prop from GvsMegalon, the original oxygen destroyer prop, a head prop of Destroyer final stage, some small Destroyer aggregate stage props, all of the Super X vehicles, the melted face/skull from GvsDestroyer (which someone managed to take a photo of undetected) all of the suits from GvsSpaceG along with Godzilla Jr, Showa Gotengo (the prop from GFW), and various other props.

It was a wonderful experience. I came to Japan in late 2006 and was just taken aback by how much Godzilla's stature had fallen in Japan....the typical eye rolling/snickering from Americans whenever "Godzilla" is brought up as an interest of mine was exactly the same reaction I received from most Japanese people....I came to Japan far too late as the Daikaiju genre has never been as dead here as has been post-2004. Most kids in this country know next to nothing about Godzilla, prepering One Piece, Pokemon, etc...even interest in Ultraman/Kamen Rider, which are sadly far more popular than Godzilla, seems to be waning. So for the first time since living here, Godzilla is being given a lot of attention everywhere, so I'm going to try to enjoy it while it lasts.

However, before some assume that G2014's success means "there will be a daikaiju revival in Japan!!! Maybe TOHO will make new G films again!", let me just say this: When I attended this exhibit, it was not crowded at all, and almost "NO" kids were there...the crowd mainly consisted of fans in their 40s or older. Considering this is summer break for most kids in Japan along with the high publicity that both this event and Godzilla in general has been receiving lately, that's not exactly encouraging. Also, most shops and bookstores with Godzilla goods are collecting dust and seem to be selling at a snail's pace.....just some general observations I've made.

Anyways, enough of being a downer....On to some photos 8)

:eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Re: Godzilla 60th Anniversary Events in Japan

Postby canofhumdingers » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:21 am

Maybe it's just because I'm on my phone but the images aren't showing up for me. Sounds like an incredible exhibit. Wish I could see something like that one day.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:32 am

Cool pictures. Thanks for sharing. That looks like one of the '90s Mothra props next to the Tokyo SOS Godzilla.

It's too bad they were such sticklers about photographing the older suits and props.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:51 am

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby Jorzilla » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:30 pm

Is that the Cybot Head?
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:00 pm

XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:09 pm

Yep that's the cybot head. There's a picture of it looking just like that, before they put the skin on in the "making of" book.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby walshiam » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:17 am

I'm curious. I'm wondering if the suits in the later films were made from more durable materials or is Toho taking better care of them than the earlier ones. It seems that considering how badly those earlier suits decomposed to near nothing that one or both possibilities seem to be true. I know that some suits were reused and broke down for spare parts but even the ones that weren't didn't hold up well with time. Those pictured here seem to be in great shape and could be used again with little or no maintenance.
walshiam
Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:12 am

I guess this would qualify as a 61st Anniversary Event :lol: But back in Late July / Most of August there were quite a few interesting things going on in Shinjuku. And no, I'm not just talking about the giant Godzilla Head on top of the Toho Cinema.

There was a nice little art exhibition centered around Godzilla. The art culminated with an amazing sand sculpture. My apologies for just getting around to posting this as my work has been so insane that Sept/Oct all feel like a big blur. These photos were taken in Shinjuku on 8/23/2015:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:24 pm

that's great. love the biollante, minya and sand sculpture art
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Mac » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:38 pm

Mac