So i watched Gorgo this weekend for the first time in many years.. so heres my lists of things i noticed
- Gorgo and Ogra have less "hand" functionality than Orga, but at least Orga had a design that would limit that
- This movie has so many things we've seen before including a reporter that has nothing to do with the movie (G:KoM)
- The compositing on a lot of the destruction sequences looks pretty bad, not 50ft woman bad, but noticeable
- I love the "twist" that Gorgo is a baby and their is something much bigger and meaner out there
- The eyes on the creatures are great, a lot of the destruction sequences are great
- The size between Ogra and Gorgo is incredibly inconsistent, sometimes he comes up to her knee, sometimes hes the size of a finger
- The child character... was odd... also i think this may constitute kidnapping
- There are some neat ideas (like the mutant fish) that don't get explored
So its a mixed bag. The original things in the movie, like the set up with the archaeologist trying to keep things on secret, the locations, the mother-child, all work incredibly well.
The things we have seen before like plot points already used in Kong or The Lost World, drag it down a notch. I'd give this movie 3.5 mutated fish out of 5
Also, I watched the VCI Bluray, and they actually had a decent number of extra features. I guess living with Toho DVDs has really brought down my expectations of extras on monster movies.