[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Weekly Kaiju Movie Thread #54 • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Weekly Kaiju Movie Thread #54

This forum is for Festivals, Shows, and Convention Information, as well as information on Godzilla, Kaiju related Exhibitions and Displays, and screenings of Kaiju Films in the theatre and on television. Also discuss and alert others to fandom activities. Discuss fanzines, local fan gatherings and clubs, alert others to your G-related websites, etc. Meet and greet other fans! Have a ball!

Moderator: Controllers

Fifty-Fourth Viewing Thread Poll

Half Human (1955)
27%
Daimajin no Gaykushu (1966)
20%
Yamato Takeru (1994)
33%
Ultraman Zearth 2 (1997)
7%
Negadon/Gehara Double Feature
13%

Total votes : 15

Postby klen7 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:22 am

It's not Z-word bad, but i saw it 5 or 6 years ago and i'm not in a hurry to see it again. Orochi is pretty cool, but doesn't get much screen time
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:23 pm

"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:36 pm

I just pasted what I posted on tumblr...
So, I just watched Yamato Takeru (1994). My god. I thought, surely, this won’t be
as bad as Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992) (Which I believe to be Okawara’s worst Godzilla film.
It’s worse. somehow. I mean, there’s some stuff in here that SHOULD be entertaining.
I think that’s the whole film, though. It really wants to be something hugely appealing and awesome. Scifi/Fantasy movie.
This movie feels a lot like the tremendous batch of sword and sorcery stuff the U.S. had in the 80s.
It’s also typically just as bad. Orochi is a cool design…until you see his feet…or whatever
they are. They should have just given him a long serpentine body (ala Harryhausen’s Hydra).

Speaking of which, did the fight with Kumasogami and Kaishin Muba remind anybody else of
Harryhausen stuff? I mean, I’m not super knowledgeable of this myth but the fight with Kumasogami
made me think of a crappy version of the Medusa encounter from Clash of the Titans. Kumasogami
also made me think of the Kraken.

I didn't know Katagiri was a LARPer
This came out the same year as Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994), and while this film feels more
put together I’d rather sit through Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla than this.

And this
is my reaction as I discovered that Yamato Takeru
was INDEED worse than Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992), which
I didn't think was likely.

ALSO, Hey Bryan, would you want the next thread?

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:39 pm

Kaiju Transmissions Podcast-

If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It Podcast
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:45 pm

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:48 pm

MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:02 am

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Alpha OTS » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:06 am

Alpha OTS
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:56 pm

ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:08 pm

There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:18 pm

metal_bryan
Controller

Postby Psycho Soldier » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:09 am

"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:28 am

Well... I asked for it this time :lol: :lol: :lol: Can't take my vote back now.

I hadn't seen this movie in a very long time and my memories of it were hazy. I must not have been paying much attention to it when I watched it before. This gave me a chance to finally watch the DVD version of it instead of the old VHS fansub.

The horror...

I refuse to go on an epic rant about this movie like I did with Gunhed, but it surely deserves the lashing. Of the two movies, it's still superior, but only barely. The effects in general are not very pleasing to watch, which is one of the most negative aspects of the film for me. Even the fight with Orochi, the biggest effects sequence of the movie, is really disappointing. At least Gunhed had a cool final battle sequence. Yamato Takeru manages to be much more straightforward in the story department... despite still being pretty jarring in execution. The acting in both movies just depresses me. Some good actors here and they just look bad in this movie.

That's about it. Like I said, I don't want to go into TL;DR territory complaining about the minute details of this movie.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby MouthForWar » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:53 pm

MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:57 pm

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Previous