General Cool Things TCM is Showing Thread

This forum is for Festivals, Shows, and Convention Information, as well as information on Godzilla, Kaiju related Exhibitions and Displays, and screenings of Kaiju Films in the theatre and on television. Also discuss and alert others to fandom activities. Discuss fanzines, local fan gatherings and clubs, alert others to your G-related websites, etc. Meet and greet other fans! Have a ball!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: General Cool Things TCM is Showing Thread

Postby lhb412 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:25 pm

Gwangi wrote:I am surprised Toho let them even show "GKOTM", but because that movie is so mainstream, so well known, it would impossible to put a halt to that one. Knowing this regime however, they just might eventually try to do that in the future, insisting that the 1954 version is the only one that should really exist.

Bottom line, hold on to any old copies each of us have!

I think GKOTM is a special case, having received a theatrical release and other availability historically in Japan in addition to internationally.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:46 pm

I think at this point we should probably all be extremely thankful that Criterion was able to do KOTM in 2011. I have a feeling Toho wouldn't have had any qualms about denying that for release today if there wasn't already an extant HD version.

Regarding KOTM on TCM, it's interesting (to me) that it was identical to the Criterion Blu-ray version and not the one with the alternate title that's been seen on Comet, IFC, etc.

phpBB [media]
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Russzilla » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Each showing so far has had the title card of Criterion and or Janus Films. I thought it would also be a good idea to DVR all of these showings just to have them right then and there to replay anytime for my viewing pleasure. Getting last weeks airing of Mothra ‘61 was a nice bonus.

Edit: So far, all of the airings have been in Japanese, English subtitled. All except Invasion of Astro Monster, which was shown English dubbed. :?
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Previous

Return to Festivals, Shows, Screenings, and Fan Activities