New Godzilla Game??

This is the forum to discuss video games, the systems they're played on, computer software games, video game related sites and magazines, and more!! If you're "wired", post it here!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: New Godzilla Game??

Postby Kailem » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:24 am

I guess more important than its reception is how much it sold. I've got no idea what kind of numbers it did when it came out, but given that it's a budget title it probably wouldn't have needed to have done crazy well to turn a profit, and that's likely more important to any chances of a potential sequel getting a western release than what kind of reception it got.

And yeah, I'm sure if there was another one, or if this one had come out a year or so later, it'd include Shin Godzilla, given that this one has the Legendary Godzilla right when that film was pretty new. The more the merrier I say! :D

Benjamin Haines wrote:I really can't complain about the kaiju roster when there are 22 different playable incarnations: four different versions of Godzilla, four of Mechagodzilla, larval and imago versions of both Mothra and Battra, plus ten other monsters. Aside from more varied player objectives, the only improvements I'd really want to see in a sequel or DLC would be more stages and more playable monsters. The Kaiju Guide just highlights how many other monsters aren't in the game.

Speaking of the Kaiju Guide, it's... interesting. Every monster gets its own moniker. Some of them are long-held, such as "Rodan, Giant Monster of the Skies" or "Hedorah, the Smog Monster." Others seem like forced descriptors made up for this Kaiju Guide, like "Monster X, the Meteorite Monster from Outer Space." A lot of the descriptions seem confused too.

Yeah it definitely felt like they had an edict to give all of them a title and couldn't really come up with anything good for half of them. :P Space Godzilla is "The Combat Creature". What? :P Most random.

But yes, no complaints about the roster size here either. It's a lot bigger than I remember thinking it would be when we were following the build-up to its release. 22 monsters is nothing to sneeze at, though of course I'd like more in any potential sequel. I figure if they can come up with moves for not one but two monsters that not only aren't humanoid, but don't even have any limbs to speak of, then they could come up with moves for just about anything. :P

Benjamin Haines wrote:I've tried the Diorama Mode but it just seems pointless to me. I'd much rather be able to move the camera around while the gameplay is paused, a la Super Smash Bros., and then photograph the action that way. Oh, and I hate how the photos in the Godzilla data entry gallery can't be viewed in full-screen. The game makes such a to-do about snapping all of those photos on every stage and then they're only viewable as thumbnails in the gallery.

Yeah I gave it another go the other night, the first time I've gone back to it in ages, and I'd forgotten how relatively cumbersome it was. It's a nice idea, but just things like not being able to exit without saving is kind of annoying (why even give you the option if you have to save to be able to leave the mode?). And is there even any way of taking photos again in God of Destruction mode once you've unlocked them all? It'd be nice to occasionally switch to one of those cinematic camera angles every now and again when I'm playing through it, but the icons for them aren't there anymore, so I guess it's just a one time thing unless you start a completely new save? Or is it something that's only there when you're playing as Godzilla (I maxed him out last year so I've been spending my time now playing through with other monsters I didn't fully level up)?
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own"
- Bruce Lee
Kailem
Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:29 pm

Kailem wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:I've tried the Diorama Mode but it just seems pointless to me. I'd much rather be able to move the camera around while the gameplay is paused, a la Super Smash Bros., and then photograph the action that way. Oh, and I hate how the photos in the Godzilla data entry gallery can't be viewed in full-screen. The game makes such a to-do about snapping all of those photos on every stage and then they're only viewable as thumbnails in the gallery.

Yeah I gave it another go the other night, the first time I've gone back to it in ages, and I'd forgotten how relatively cumbersome it was. It's a nice idea, but just things like not being able to exit without saving is kind of annoying (why even give you the option if you have to save to be able to leave the mode?). And is there even any way of taking photos again in God of Destruction mode once you've unlocked them all? It'd be nice to occasionally switch to one of those cinematic camera angles every now and again when I'm playing through it, but the icons for them aren't there anymore, so I guess it's just a one time thing unless you start a completely new save? Or is it something that's only there when you're playing as Godzilla (I maxed him out last year so I've been spending my time now playing through with other monsters I didn't fully level up)?

The data entry points are still there in God of Destruction Mode but only when you play as Godzilla '89. The locations go from red to purple on the radar after you've collected them but there should still be four on every stage. You can replace your original data entries with new photos if you want, but again, only being able to view them in a thumbnail gallery kind of ruins it. I suppose I could use the PS4's Share feature if I really wanted to snap photos of the action during gameplay.

I do think that the PS4's Media Player feature is a great enhancement for this game. I put MP3 files of lots of different themes from the movies on a USB flash drive, plug it into the PS4 and play the music in Media Player, exit to the main menu and then start the game with the music playing, and of course turn down the in-game music volume. People always said that the music from Godzilla: Final Wars sounds like it belongs in a video game and it certainly fits this one!
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Kailem » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:50 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote:
Kailem wrote:

The data entry points are still there in God of Destruction Mode but only when you play as Godzilla '89. The locations go from red to purple on the radar after you've collected them but there should still be four on every stage. You can replace your original data entries with new photos if you want, but again, only being able to view them in a thumbnail gallery kind of ruins it. I suppose I could use the PS4's Share feature if I really wanted to snap photos of the action during gameplay.

I thought that might be the case when I remembered they differentiate between playing as Godzilla '89 and any other monster, with the "Go Ashore" and "Invade/Defend" modes. I guess it makes sense given that you can play as monsters that range from really small like larval Mothra to ones that are huge, like Biollante.
Maybe they just figured the fixed camera angles wouldn't always frame the others quite as well, since they're not who they were originally designed for.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own"
- Bruce Lee
Kailem
Godzilla

Previous

Return to Video Games, Systems, and More