[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
A brief history of: Godzilla Video Games • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

A brief history of: Godzilla Video Games

This is the forum to discuss video games, the systems they're played on, computer software games, video game related sites and magazines, and more!! If you're "wired", post it here!

Moderator: Controllers

A brief history of: Godzilla Video Games

Postby Alpha OTS » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:49 pm

Alpha OTS
Heisei Godzilla

Re: A brief history of: Godzilla Video Games

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:07 pm

I did a retrospective of Godzilla games several years ago for Toho Kingdom that was rather fun doing research for and getting exclusives.

You can check it out here: http://tohokingdom.com/vg/project-g.html

Nice little article you linked too.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby angilas » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:47 am

Cool guides.
The most underated to me is Monster of Monsters (i wish that Rodan game advertised in the booklet got made) I swear as a kid I spent weeks trying to beat this with a group of 12 friends in the neighborhood ( crazy to think there were so many of us the same age with so much free time on our hands). Great plot, music, cast, worlds Eric. Way better than Godzilla 2. I liked it more than Super Godzilla as well which to me was the most overrated probably because you'd see it in every blockbuster, Errol's, and Hollywood video so nearly every kid rented it.

Godzilla's greatest battles may be a personal favorite, and I got the turbo duo version a decade ago on eBay. The problem was I was never able to get a turbo duo so I think I just emulated it. Had played Generations with a friend who had a Saturn, was interesting but not a big fan. DAMM was the best modern one to me but I had it on Xbox and the sequels on ps2, which got progressively underwhelming. Final wars was basically filmed like a videogame so I'm surprised unleashed didn't have a better plot with kaiser Ghidorah etc. wasn't a fan of the film but It would have been the ultimate video game.

Meanwhile I guess you can add that pachinko game, the DAMM portable game I can't remember the name to, and the cell games like smash 3 I'm currently stuck in the middle of San Fran on.
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:19 am

Monster of Monsters is probably my favorite...I find it has the most replayability, is the most addictive, and features the catchiest music.

Godzilla 2 is actually kinda fun these days...I hated it as a kid, thinking it would be an actual sequel to Monster of Monsters and finding it a strategy game sucked the life out of me.

I know of two black-and-white old-school Game Boy games. One is a puzzle game which I never really played because it didn't seem very fun and the other is a side-scroller where you fight a bunch of classic rogues, this second one is a lot of fun and is actually fairly challenging.

Super Godzilla is okay...I never had an SNES so I kinda built it up in my mind because I saw that cartridge EVERYWHERE and never got to play it...then one day I finally did and...meh. It's not totally terrible.

Then for a long time I didn't play any Godzilla games...they all came out on systems I didn't have. I never even played DAMM until years later when I finally got a 360.

Save the Earth was my next Godzilla game and while I found it fun, I found the story REALLY lacking TREMENDOUSLY even for a game of its type. I was expecting it to at least be on-par with War of the Monsters...and it's not.

Ultimately DAMM and Save the Earth, while fun, were underwhelming enough that I never sought out Unleashed.

The only other Godzilla games I've played are the GINO game on gameboy color, and Doublesmash on DS. Both of which are decent.

All of this circles back to my take that Monster of Monsters is the best one...most replay value, best music, fun boss and mini-boss battles, something of a story being told (it's basically on-par with the Pipeworks games, which is pathetic for the Pipeworks games). The only thing about Monster of Monsters that ever irritated me was that if you clear a stage with either Mothra or Godzilla and then die while trying to clear it with the remaining monster, you get a game over instead of moving on to the next world with just one of the monsters.

And I too always thought a Final Wars video game would be stupendously fun. You could switch back and forth between playing as a human character (Osaki most likely) and Godzilla.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby angilas » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:50 pm

Sometimes I really wish this board let us like or +1 posts..
Between this and XvGojira's last post in the weight loss challenge thread...
Anyway Monster of Monsters was the perfect Godzilla game for the resources at the time on NES.
Godzilla 2 I probably never did give a fair shake since I havent played NES since I was 7 or 8 whenever I got SNES and my bro got Genesis, and while I loved RTS's by the time of Command & Conquer, Godzilla 2 left me one disappointed renter, probably too young to grasp it.

Did you ever get to play Godzilla's Greatest Battles? (I think the real name was Kaiju Daikessen or Monster War) It really was a cool game, though Monsters beats it in story having levels to fight through and music, it makes up for in chronology (follows the movies) hidden features (like Super Mechagodzilla being a hidden boss ala Akuma in Super Street Fighter II Turbo, and Gotengo being there), updating Godzilla's appearance through the game on the Turbo Duo version, and on Super Famicon graphics to rival Gundam Wing Endless Duel and DBZ Hyper Dimension or the best lookin fighters to grace SNES IMO.
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby goji4ever » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:47 pm

-Godzilla 2 on Nes was amazing..I only wish it had more scenarios and followed a less random pattern to determine advantage..(do terrain like advance wars and add alien troops).

-Destroy all monsters melee was amazing, loved all the early screenshots and perfect Rodan.

-Save the Earth somehow looked worse than melee and had a few bad design changes. Mothra like the movies had an unfair advantage and jet jaguar size changing sucked...Is this backwards compatible on 360?

-Unleashed had the best roster but worst gameplay...beams sucked now and crystals were a stupid idea...its roster with melee gameplay though would kill.

Mecha-King Ghidorah was awesome in the pipiworks games...
goji4ever
Little Godzilla

Postby Alpha OTS » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:58 pm

Alpha OTS
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:47 am

Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby klen7 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:29 am

funny that PS2 version is still selling for less than i paid for it when it came out
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby goji4ever » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:59 pm

I have save the earth for PSX cause I was overseas and it was the only console around..it sits damn near new and unused
goji4ever
Little Godzilla

Return to Video Games, Systems, and More