The Monster Zero retro video gaming thread

This is the forum to discuss video games, the systems they're played on, computer software games, video game related sites and magazines, and more!! If you're "wired", post it here!

Moderator: Controllers

The Monster Zero retro video gaming thread

Postby planetxleader » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:07 am

Looks like something that hasn't really been discussed here much. This is for anyone who, like me, barely plays any next-gen stuff, who still owns and treasures their N64, and finds it easier to enjoy something found at a flea market versus something found at a department store.

I have the great luck to have a retro video game shop literally across the street from my apartment complex. Last year I bought a copy of the original Star Fox and played the crap out of it for about a week, loving every moment. And at only $7, I don't have the guilt of making a big splurge on something I won't play all that much (like my Wii, cough cough).

So... retro game discussion. What are you playing (if at all), what are you searching for, nostalgia stories and buying/discovery stories, etc.

Probably not gonna play it much right now, but I did dust off my SNES again last night to quickly revisit the beginning of this:

Image
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
User avatar
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:42 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: The Monster Zero retro video gaming thread

Postby angilas » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:17 am

I used to play and beat LOZ ALTTP every year after school let our for parts of summer where I was bored at home as a ritual.
Doubt if I do it this summer. Though I have been searching over a decade now for a turbo duo to play Godzilla's greatest battles on, which I do own.
User avatar
angilas
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1201
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:59 am

Re: The Monster Zero retro video gaming thread

Postby XvGojira » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:58 am

angilas wrote:I used to play and beat LOZ ALTTP every year after school let our for parts of summer where I was bored at home as a ritual.
Doubt if I do it this summer. Though I have been searching over a decade now for a turbo duo to play Godzilla's greatest battles on, which I do own.


Thanks for reminding me I own that game! I believe that there are emulators that you can load onto a PC and play the disc with. But if memory serves, there's no save state function so you can't unlock monsters and come back to same game. Could be wrong about that though and it has been some time since I tried it out.
User avatar
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3852
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:29 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: The Monster Zero retro video gaming thread

Postby angilas » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:44 pm

XvGojira wrote:
angilas wrote:I used to play and beat LOZ ALTTP every year after school let our for parts of summer where I was bored at home as a ritual.
Doubt if I do it this summer. Though I have been searching over a decade now for a turbo duo to play Godzilla's greatest battles on, which I do own.


Thanks for reminding me I own that game! I believe that there are emulators that you can load onto a PC and play the disc with. But if memory serves, there's no save state function so you can't unlock monsters and come back to same game. Could be wrong about that though and it has been some time since I tried it out.


Ahh thanks. I've beaten the SNES Godzilla's Greatest Battles (probably havent played it in a decade though) but I never could find the Turbo Duo version emulated. Its different from the SNES version in that Godzilla's appearance updates to reflect his movie counterpart in each fight. And there may be different monsters. I played it a bit at the 50th anniversary GFest and have seen screens.
User avatar
angilas
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1201
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:59 am

Re: The Monster Zero retro video gaming thread

Postby XvGojira » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:42 pm

The Turbo duo has a bigger roster, and I loved that Godzilla changed "suits" when playing the campaign. I just wish I was better at fighting games :mrgreen:
User avatar
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3852
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:29 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: The Monster Zero retro video gaming thread

Postby angilas » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:21 am

XvGojira wrote:The Turbo duo has a bigger roster, and I loved that Godzilla changed "suits" when playing the campaign. I just wish I was better at fighting games :mrgreen:


Im only good at 3d ones, but the joy of emulators I can make a save point anywhere on the SNES one. I'll see if I cant find the TD one since I havent looked in about 10 years. I think it may be a bit before I'm back. with a little under 5 weeks until the movie releases I should probably cut my board visits back to once a week at most like Fridays or something to reduce my chances of getting spoiled and also because Im a bit obsessive compulsive and need to set limits sometimes, if theirs new info being leaked constantly I'll be here too often for my own good. Thanks for he feedback. :mrgreen:
User avatar
angilas
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1201
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:59 am

Re: The Monster Zero retro video gaming thread

Postby planetxleader » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:14 am

I remember reading about to Turbo Duo Godzilla game in GamePro back in the day. So sad I never got to experience it. The SNES one is great and honestly fills me with more nostalgia than any of the 3D games (the little details like the sound of Godzilla's ray and Megalon chortling). I'd love to see a 2.5D Godzilla fighter in the same vain.

Anywho, just like that, my retro kick is sputtering. Just finished a Lobsterdance miniature shoot and catching up on a lot of stuff, so I figured I would have had a leisurely week to sit down and play but... I haven't. I hate being an adult. XD

I did, however, get a chance to stop by my local retro store and buy a weird old SNES RPG called Drakkhen:
http://mondoboss.tumblr.com/post/816045 ... -game-from
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
User avatar
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:42 pm
Location: Georgia


Return to Video Games, Systems, and More

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest