Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

This is the forum to discuss video games, the systems they're played on, computer software games, video game related sites and magazines, and more!! If you're "wired", post it here!

Moderator: Controllers

Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby Anzildrah » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:45 am

Hey everyone, Colossal Kaiju Combat (which is being developed by the lead designer of the Atari Godzilla games & Matt Frank as their art director) has their Steam Greenlight page up. It's essentially the only giant monster fighting game being developed for PC, and most of the monsters are made by the fans which is pretty cool. So vote "Yes" here to make sure it gets released on Steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=189069844

Here's the new Kickstarter to get it also ported to the OUYA console:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14214732/colossal-kaiju-combat-expanded-and-upgraded-ouya

It looks promising. It's still in early Alpha, but the first free game called Kaijuland Battles is planned for release this year.
Anzildrah
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:30 pm

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby Silver Kamen » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:59 am

Yeah... I've long given up on this ever coming out (or at least in my lifetime). It's a cool idea in concept, but I highly doubt it will be executed well. And when and if it comes out, the game will be thrown in the countless piles of Digitally released games that never got anywhere.
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby kpa » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:05 pm

SciFi Japan has a COLOSSAL KAIJU COMBAT update, screen shots and some great concept art...

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2013 ... me-update/

Image
Keith
Image
User avatar
kpa
Monster 01
 
Posts: 3273
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:39 pm
Location: CA

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby Silver Kamen » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:10 pm

kpa wrote:SciFi Japan has a COLOSSAL KAIJU COMBAT update, screen shots and some great concept art...


That's not looking so hot.... graphics wise.

But as long as it has solid gameplay.
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby Mr. Strange » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:37 pm

Silver Kamen wrote:
kpa wrote:SciFi Japan has a COLOSSAL KAIJU COMBAT update, screen shots and some great concept art...


That's not looking so hot.... graphics wise.

But as long as it has solid gameplay.


I'm glad you feel that way - because that's how we've been approaching development!

I'm the absolutely opposite of a graphically-minded person. I think the things on the screen are there to communicate information, period. In a game like this you require a certain amount of fidelity - because part of the game is telling a story about giant monsters battling & destroying the arena. But I can tell that story with some plastic dolls and wooden blocks - I don't need every detail laid out for me.

But when playing a video game what I DO insist on is that my control of the game be absolute. When I press a button or move a joystick, my character MUST respond promptly and sensibly. Beyond that, I need to feel as if the actions I take have significance. That's why we're spending 80% of our budget on characters & controls - because those are the elements that drive the game.

No matter how amazing the graphics - every game will eventually look outdated. "Hot" visuals are a moving target, and as developers we're always on the losing side of that curve. But solid gameplay and inviting experiences stay fresh for a long, long time.
Mr. Strange
Godzilla Egg
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:48 pm

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby Silver Kamen » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:40 pm

Mr. Strange wrote:I'm glad you feel that way - because that's how we've been approaching development!

I'm the absolutely opposite of a graphically-minded person. I think the things on the screen are there to communicate information, period. In a game like this you require a certain amount of fidelity - because part of the game is telling a story about giant monsters battling & destroying the arena. But I can tell that story with some plastic dolls and wooden blocks - I don't need every detail laid out for me.

But when playing a video game what I DO insist on is that my control of the game be absolute. When I press a button or move a joystick, my character MUST respond promptly and sensibly. Beyond that, I need to feel as if the actions I take have significance. That's why we're spending 80% of our budget on characters & controls - because those are the elements that drive the game.

No matter how amazing the graphics - every game will eventually look outdated. "Hot" visuals are a moving target, and as developers we're always on the losing side of that curve. But solid gameplay and inviting experiences stay fresh for a long, long time.


Good to hear! I'm really glad that you are approaching it like that! :D
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby klen7 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:43 pm

I'm very excited for the game to get released (i contributed and got a nice Logitech controller and book in the deal) but i feel like it is kind of bad form to set up another kickstarter asking for more money before delivering the product promised in your first kickstarter... i understand the development cycle takes a while, but i would have been more likely to contribute a second time if I had the game in my hands... i wish you good luck anyway, i do like what you are doing.
User avatar
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7294
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 pm
Location: beyond your peripheral vision

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby Silver Kamen » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:49 pm

klen7 wrote:I'm very excited for the game to get released (i contributed and got a nice Logitech controller and book in the deal) but i feel like it is kind of bad form to set up another kickstarter asking for more money before delivering the product promised in your first kickstarter... i understand the development cycle takes a while, but i would have been more likely to contribute a second time if I had the game in my hands... i wish you good luck anyway, i do like what you are doing.


Yeah, that's were I am at.

To be honest, right now this seems like a "Phantom Project". Something that is out there.... but not getting a release anytime soon.
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:18 pm

kpa wrote:SciFi Japan has a COLOSSAL KAIJU COMBAT update, screen shots and some great concept art...

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2013 ... me-update/

Image

that looks like ass.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18874
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby Silver Kamen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:39 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:that looks like ass.


Indeed. I've seen Dreamcast/PS1 Games with better looking graphics.
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby Legion » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:56 pm

I honestly can't believe this is still a thing.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7303
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:11 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby Silver Kamen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:00 pm

Legion wrote:I honestly can't believe this is still a thing.


I know, right? For all the fandom excitement it has caused, this seems to be.... not very exciting.
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby XvGojira » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:19 pm

Game play is where it's at. Yes, this isn't AAA PS4/XBone/God-tier PC Master race graphics. But they are as detailed as they need to be. In that respect, my only complaint with the in-game images and videos I've seen is that all the monsters look really bulky. That image of Nemesis and Dragon Lotus is the first I've seen where the monsters didn't look like bulky masses. And I'm just waiting to see what changes, if any, have been made to city destruction.

But once this is game comes out Mr. Strange, I will be nabbing it. Never been a great fighter fan (The Godzilla games and Smash Brothers are as far as I go but that's more for the love of the subject matter) and your Godzilla games were a blast so you have my money.
User avatar
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 4027
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:29 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby Silver Kamen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:26 pm

XvGojira wrote:Game play is where it's at. Yes, this isn't AAA PS4/XBone/God-tier PC Master race graphics. But they are as detailed as they need to be. In that respect, my only complaint with the in-game images and videos I've seen is that all the monsters look really bulky. That image of Nemesis and Dragon Lotus is the first I've seen where the monsters didn't look like bulky masses. And I'm just waiting to see what changes, if any, have been made to city destruction.


Gameplay is important..... but those graphics and characters looks awful. I'm not asking for alot, maybe something PS2ish when it comes to Graphics.
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby XvGojira » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Silver Kamen wrote:
XvGojira wrote:Game play is where it's at. Yes, this isn't AAA PS4/XBone/God-tier PC Master race graphics. But they are as detailed as they need to be. In that respect, my only complaint with the in-game images and videos I've seen is that all the monsters look really bulky. That image of Nemesis and Dragon Lotus is the first I've seen where the monsters didn't look like bulky masses. And I'm just waiting to see what changes, if any, have been made to city destruction.


Gameplay is important..... but those graphics and characters looks awful. I'm not asking for alot, maybe something PS2ish when it comes to Graphics.


What kind of PS2 did you have? The monsters look equal to if not better than a PS2 model.

And THIS game, which looks like it was made in FLASH and could be found on NewGrounds years ago, is a popular fighter. Why? Great controls. The graphics or "sprites" in that game look like crap when you compare them to King of Fighters, Street Fighter or even the other indie fighter Skullgirls.

All I see is negativity to a project, that isn't even in Alpha, about a subject we all love by people who have made games that we all (or most bunch of us) really liked, and I feel like I'm the only one rooting for it.
User avatar
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 4027
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:29 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby Silver Kamen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:52 pm

XvGojira wrote:What kind of PS2 did you have? The monsters look equal to if not better than a PS2 model.

All I see is negativity to a project, that isn't even in Alpha, about a subject we all love by people who have made games that we all (or most bunch of us) really liked, and I feel like I'm the only one rooting for it.


I may have not been right, but there are also games on Dreamcast that have the same graphics, if not better, then this game.

And I am routing for this game; but I'm not a blind fanboy who looks at this with nothing but support. Fact is, the Graphics are Crap, and I hope the Gameplay can make up for that. But in this day and age, it's doubtful.

Does anyone think this will compete with the newest Call of Duty, or Mario game? Fact is, that it will be long forgotten by the time Legendary Godzilla comes out.
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby emeGoji » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:10 pm

Silver Kamen wrote:
XvGojira wrote:What kind of PS2 did you have? The monsters look equal to if not better than a PS2 model.

All I see is negativity to a project, that isn't even in Alpha, about a subject we all love by people who have made games that we all (or most bunch of us) really liked, and I feel like I'm the only one rooting for it.


I may have not been right, but there are also games on Dreamcast that have the same graphics, if not better, then this game.


I'm playing Godzilla Generations right now. CKC doesn't look too dissimilar.
gmk0taku takuGuy Jack B revenge of gmk0taku
User avatar
emeGoji
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 6772
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:07 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby Silver Kamen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:21 pm

Strontium90 wrote:I'm playing Godzilla Generations right now. CKC doesn't look too dissimilar.


Exactly. It looks nicer... but not as nice as it should.
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby XvGojira » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Strontium90 wrote:
Silver Kamen wrote:I may have not been right, but there are also games on Dreamcast that have the same graphics, if not better, then this game.


I'm playing Godzilla Generations right now. CKC doesn't look too dissimilar.


phpBB [media]


phpBB [media]


For the life of me I can NOT understand how ANYONE could think the top video looks better than the bottom.
User avatar
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 4027
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:29 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby Silver Kamen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:12 pm

XvGojira wrote:For the life of me I can NOT understand how ANYONE could think the top video looks better than the bottom.


Were not saying that Godzilla Generations looks better then Colossal Kaiju Combat. But the fact is, do they look THAT different?
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby XvGojira » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:39 pm

Silver Kamen wrote:
XvGojira wrote:For the life of me I can NOT understand how ANYONE could think the top video looks better than the bottom.


Were not saying that Godzilla Generations looks better then Colossal Kaiju Combat. But the fact is, do they look THAT different?


YES! Ages ahead! Look at the animation alone! Godzilla moves so stiff and awkwardly like they just used the articulation of a vinyl figure. The models are so low poly they'd cut your hands if you touched them. The Kaiju in CKC have roundness to them. The fins and spines aren't just 2D sprites attached to their backs. And the movement is light years over G:G. Watch the green kangaroo jump around at :48 seconds into the video or Dragon Lotus' walking animation at 1:06.
User avatar
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 4027
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:29 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby Silver Kamen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:45 pm

XvGojira wrote:YES! Ages ahead! Look at the animation alone! Godzilla moves so stiff and awkwardly like they just used the articulation of a vinyl figure. The models are so low poly they'd cut your hands if you touched them. The Kaiju in CKC have roundness to them. The fins and spines aren't just 2D sprites attached to their backs. And the movement is light years over G:G. Watch the green kangaroo jump around at :48 seconds into the video or Dragon Lotus' walking animation at 1:06.


Perhaps I've become spoiled/jaded because of the graphics of late; however, I still can't see how CKC is at all up to par.

Once again, if the CKC has excellent Game Play, then it will partially make up for the graphics. Though, I'm looking at the the Alpha Footage you posted, and it looks VERY akin to Strange's other Atari Godzilla games. All the moves etc.
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby XvGojira » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:04 pm

Silver Kamen wrote:Perhaps I've become spoiled/jaded because of the graphics of late; however, I still can't see how CKC is at all up to par.

Once again, if the CKC has excellent Game Play, then it will partially make up for the graphics. Though, I'm looking at the the Alpha Footage you posted, and it looks VERY akin to Strange's other Atari Godzilla games. All the moves etc.


Now what is your "par" for this? For me this is very much par, if not what ever the golf term is for better than par. Yes, it's not AAA PS360 level of graphics but it is not Dreamcast level (especially not G:G level). To me it looks something that'd look perfect on a Wii. It looks like what the sequel to Godzilla Unleashed would look like if they lost the license,
User avatar
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 4027
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:29 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby Silver Kamen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:08 pm

XvGojira wrote:It looks like what the sequel to Godzilla Unleashed would look like if they lost the license,


This is something I can agree with.

In fact, I think this sums up Colossal Kaiju Combat well; it's a game that wishes it could have Godzilla.
シルバー仮面!

Image
User avatar
Silver Kamen
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:51 pm
Location: Glen Cove, New York

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat on Greenlight & Kickstarter

Postby Anzildrah » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:23 am

Silver Kamen wrote:Does anyone think this will compete with the newest Call of Duty, or Mario game? Fact is, that it will be long forgotten by the time Legendary Godzilla comes out.

CKC is absolutely not looking to compete with CoD or Mario. This is a 3D fighting game for PC by a small indie developer on a shoe-string budget.

I'm surprised how many folks are so harsh on this game. It's not as if we have an excess of giant monster fighting games.
Anzildrah
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:30 pm

Next

Return to Video Games, Systems, and More

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest