Let's Talk Videogame Movies...what do YOU like?

This is the forum to discuss video games, the systems they're played on, computer software games, video game related sites and magazines, and more!! If you're "wired", post it here!

Moderator: Controllers

Well, Do they?

Well, yeah....
30%
Nope.
70%

Total votes : 20

Postby Temjin » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:21 am

The movie itself isn't that bad. Sure, the plot is kinda off, like Luc Besson adaped it while he was drunk or something.

A family is going to get driven off their property by some rich company in Africa, so the kid attempts the impossible, contact the legendary creatures "The Invisibles" that supposedly inhabit the earth deep within its' being. The problem is - they're REALLY small. So small that ants are bigger than them, so their chances of helping him are slim to none.

I didn't get all the details about his transformation, but when he arrives in their world, their "king" - voiced by Jonny Depp, is attempting a plot to take them over by force, and madonna's character is one of the only few that believes the young kid about his world being in trouble. Needless to say, they go on a huge adventure to overthrow the guy and eventually land in the kid's back yard, before the demolition crerw. They destroy everything and make it look like the land's cursed.

With the rich folks gone, his family can once again live in peace in the pridelands....but he's stuck in his invisibles form.....Until the queen gives him an elixer no one's tried and he returns to normal.

The camera angles did the theme justice, often using kaiju movie-like visuals to get the size point across.

HOWEVER - while the board was down, there was a discussion on another board I frequent about this same idea - apparently someone else saw the report and posted it as factual news, though they went a step ahead of me - actually contacting the channel, more specifically the show's producers. they sent the person this:

" Thank You for your inquiry.

Well, in essence, the news of "Shadow of the Collossus" was only a rumor we received from our chinese affiliates who interviewed Luc Besson before the premiere of his movie "Arthur and the Invisibles" in Hong Kong. He wasn't very clear on the details of the movie itself, but he did say Studio Canal had informed him that they'd like him to direct it, should it ever come to fruition, at which point he claims he declined the offer.

From there our interns discovered that SONY was still debating on acquiring the movie license for Colossus as of August 5th, 2006, so nothing had come of it. Mr. Besson either misinterpreted the question, or answered what he believed was factual.

We apologize for any confusion or misconception the show may have created. Should there be an advancement in this news story, we will covered it from the asian/european perspective, so stay tuned.

Watch "Culture Express" on CCTY on your satellite provider! "

Now, back in the forums, there was a huge flame war that erupted there over the truth of the document, and the topic got deleted. $#!t. there were some interesting points there about how besson would put his spin on it and make it different than the game, then how the game's director should do it, then to how SONY should invest in making the movie all CG, in-house, like Square-Enix's Advent Children.

Speaking of which, there's this screen that I keep seeing online with Sephiroth LIFTING Cloud off the ground with the Masamune after the final fight!!!! I've been told it's part of the preview for Advent Children COMPLETE which is set to be a Blu-Ray only release....though I haven't seen this "preview"....
"A Man is truly dead when he is forgotten. Don't let them forget you. Ever."
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Ultraseven » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:07 pm

Speaking of SOTC...

:)
Ultraseven
Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:51 pm

I didn't know this until looking on IGN, but apparently Dead Or Alive was released in theaters yesterday.
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:33 pm

Limited Release.

Those of us "TECMO V.I.P.s" got to see this entertaining-for-one-time-only when it premiered in Australia.....or just snuck a copy off our resourceful peers. :wink: :P :D

Again, it's not that bad a movie if you remember its' source material. It could've used better skin in the female roles, if ya get what I mean :wink:, but it does well with what it has.

BTW, I'm changing the topic name to "The Videogame Movie Discussion THread" where we can discuss upcoming, rumored, and past videogame movies.

LET'S SOUND OFF PEOPLE!!!!!
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:38 pm

Limited, huh? They have that little confidence in it then? haha
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:25 pm

Heck, they had little confidence with it to begin with.

The game's creator TOMONOBU ITAGAKI, didn't approve of the script, the casting, or the funds the studio received to film it(was he expecting Titanic-sized funds for this?)and refused to back the project. Out of all his cast ideas, only Kane Kosugi made the final cut. Jessica Biel had a prior engagement, Kristanna Loken was in contract limbo with Universal, and an unknown hawaiian asian actress he chose specifically to play Ayane, didn't pass the audition, so Natasshia Malthe got the part.

Devon Aoki was chosen afterwards when the actress set to play Kasumi, I forgot her name but she's chinese, could'nt do it because of schedule issues.

To make things worse, there wasn't much money left for advertising, and it came out at a very congested time, so the studio didn't do any mass advertising.

It's believed that if there's enough made form the film, it'd get a "Special Edition" relase sometime this years, with some uncut, re-filmed, and extra footage included.

Rough times for DOA, huh? :P

So - what videogame inspired movies have you guys seen and what do you think about them?
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:39 pm

Brick Side wrote:I didn't know this until looking on IGN, but apparently Dead Or Alive was released in theaters yesterday.

Huh? It came to theaters like 4 months ago right?
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:50 am

In Australia.

a *"worldwide"* release was last Friday....

It's wierd how movie studio expects this to be a fan-only gathering....and does absolutely ZERO advertising.
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:00 pm

I'' rent it, but I'll never pay to see it in the theater.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:46 pm

The casting seems interesting... There's this really gorgeous looking actress playing Christie I believe. Big Kevin Nash as Bass! haha When it comes to movies, he will always be best known as the Super Shredder from Turtles 2 to me haha. And then there's Jaime Pressely as Tina... I can't take that seriously at all haha. Every movie i've seen her in she plays a slut. She's even like that on My Name Is Earl.
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:16 am

Constantin is at least hoping to get DVD sales out of this, since lackluster box-office and poor reviews have smashed this one to the ground worldwide.

They all agree on one thing, though: It's a fun, brainless ride if you let it take you.

I wonder what Itagaki, Famitsu, and everyone in Japan'll say about it.....
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:41 pm

When I saw Die Hard last night, there was a trailer for the Hitman movie coming out in October. Quite honestly, it looked pretty good. Won't win any awards for best movie of the year I imagine, but I can't wait to see it but I doubt watching the movie won't be the same type of fun as the game since with the game you have a lot of options to do what you want. I wonder if the different approaches to killing your target will be incorporated into the movie...
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:47 pm

Timothy Olyphant as Agent 47 was a good choice, IMO, based on what I saw in Live Free or Die Hard.

Sure, he doesn't have that imposing voice Vin Diesel had when he auditioned(look for it on Youtube if it hasn't been taken down yet - "Vin Diesel in Hitman" - he got the accent right, plus the voice he gave it sounded menacing...could work.)

From what they showed in the trailer, he's got tons of options....hopefully it'll all work out.

So, what next?

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time by the same, exact crew that brought us the "Pirates of the Caribbean" saga.

The Street fighter(tentative)

But what about the future?:
Tekken - found out that this one was still in post-production. Here's what it's about:
A high-octane action movie about a young man who discovers he holds a great power and must battle a team of elite fighters who will stop at nothing in order to get it from him.

Not much to go by, is there?

Then we have Metal Gear Solid:
A group of highly trained assasins takes over a nuclear facility in the mid-atlantic and hold the world's nations for ransom. The U.S. Government calls upon one of their own, a legendary soldier code named "Solid Snake" to take the dangerous task of infiltrating the facility and neutralizing the threat before the world is plunged into a nuclear holocaust. However, this mission is more than it seems, as there's more at stake than anyone realizes.....

Sounds interesting....I wonder what exactly Kojima-san is planning with this.....
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:49 pm

Timothy Olyphant is a pretty good actor. He did a good job in Die Hard and in the Girl Next Door for that matter. He should be fine in the role, despite the voice.

As for MGS... does sound interesting, but it will be hard to really watch it since David Hayter won't be Snake.
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:53 pm

Prince of Persia should be good, but I really don't think movies based on fighting games can be done anymore because there is no story to go with game that can be turned into a decent movie. MK did it so great, and I love MKA as it took what little story MK3 had and turned it into their own, but other than that, fighting game movies generally suck.

I just can't believe NO ONE has been able to make a Final Fantasy movie that actually feels epic and it really good.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:42 am

There was a brief mention that there was a script for a Final Fantasy VIII, which cast live actors in the roles of the main characters. Nomura never mentioned it before, however, because they always ask him about AC, Kingdom Hearts, and AC2. He's had the idea on the table, but he wouldn't direct it - he'd take the Kojima route and write it. He believes Square-Enix is too involved in the "Memories of Final Fantasy VII" ,XIII, and the Kingdom franchise to focus on other parts of the saga, but he's had that idea in mind for a while, though he believes by the time he gets a chance to do it, he may be too tired of the business to continue.

I read this on a famitsu report at "The Magic Box" where he revealed the idea for a PSP Final Fantasy fighting game.

Also, another site, Games Radar, had something on the Kingdom Hearts movie, where Nomura was asked about it, and he only mentioned that "Disney has control of the franchise, and that Square is pressuring his team to come up with something to quell the rumors about the movie's existance. He'd do it, but If and when the time presented itself wasn't up to him. For now, finishing Advent Children is all he's worried about."

I also read that the next Mortal Kombat would be a re-start of the series, rather than the rumored Sub-Zero Mythologies storyline. Rumors also suggest that Kasanoff and crew are keen on bringing the series back to its' dark, hardcore roots, thus making the movie more violent than the first - meaning Sub-Zero might just rip someone's head at its' base....Also, based on reports, the movie might release in 2009, after "The Street Fighter", to see what approach it should take...Though the simple fact that Robin Shou(Liu Kang) won't be returning really brings me down. Linden Ashby(Johnny Cage), Christopher Lambert(Raiden), Chris Casamasa(Scorpion),and Keith Cooke(Sub Zero), have all confirmed their return.....

BTW, in case you're wondering what "The Street Fighter"'s about:
In an effort to finally capture the renegade dictator M. Bison, INTERPOL sends their best agents to infiltrate Bison's underground fight circuit. One of those agents, Lt. Chun Li, has more than the task in mind - she wants revenge. Her life's obsession becomes her greatest mission: bringing Bison down at all costs, Even if it means going through the world's best fighters to do so.

So, in short, for discussion's sake, we have some stuff coming that we may or may not like or be ready for - Certainly there's high hopes for ANYTHING related to HALO, and the various other movies coming out(need I remind anyone of Uwe Boll's Dungeon Keeper movie?)might suck completely, but all hope is not lost.

Paul W.S. Anderson once said something that I absolutely admire him for, and have kept it in mind since he said it, on the set of Mortal Kombat -
Paul W.S. Anderson in ''Beyond the Dragon: The Making of''... special wrote:"When you make a videogame-inspired movie, you're basically taking something many have already seen and experienced, extracting the core story, analyzing it, and applying something new to it. Sure 80% of the audience will casually watch it and come up with their own interpretations, but that 20% who actually knows the source material and has studied it probably more than you have, are the ones who will judge the overall product for what it is. Maybe as time goes on, that 20% will increase to the point where you can stay faithful to the source material AND create a movie everyone will enjoy and understand.

Directing a videogame is THE most complex job branch in the business because you don't know whether to put this idea because "it fits" or that idea because "they said so". When I wrote Mortal Kombat, I had seen "Bloodsport" and played the first game. I saw what the creators of the game saw there; I adapted that idea, that concept, and ran with it. That's all there is to movie-making - experimentation with respect towards your source and the audience. When you get the balance right, you have an awesome film....but no one is perfect."

He said this, almost word for word, before Annihalation was even in post production, during the final days of filming MK. Could he have droppped the ball later on? Did he become consumed by the powers that be in Hollywood? Who knows....
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Elliot Gay » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:45 pm

I'm a big fan of Silent Hill, and I loved Advent Children. I enjoy the RE films as dumb action flicks, and the original MK holds a special place in my heart.

Still, I think the first two I mentioned nailed it right.
Elliot Gay
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:12 pm

Silent Hill is probably thebest game to movie story ever. At first, I still liked RE, but the more I watch SH, the more it becomes my favorite game movie.

As for the next MK, I've been hearing it would be out for years. First it was going to be out in 2004, then it was going to be late 2005, then mid 2006, late 2006, early 2007, and now 2009??????

Advent Children was awesome in visuals and music, but come on, the story made about as much sense as putting ketchup on onions, just like the ending to the game. As of right now, FFXII is the only FF that actually has a story thyat makes sense, and an ending that felt satisfying.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:52 am

Silent Hill got it right because....the director's a big fan of the games. "Mortal Kombat the first" was good...because the director was a fan of the games. Advent Children was dead-on what a videogame movie should be because....director designed and co-wrote the games......

See a pattern?

MK got pushed AGAIN because of filming schedules - Threshold's "theme park" hasn't been finished yet, and that's where they're set to film a bulk of the movie. Also, script disputes between the producers and the wrtiers and the studios themselves have put this through production hell. The set date Lawrence Kasanoff, the producer, placed on this is 2009, because by then, they'll have all their issues sorted out. There is a possibility it might come out in 2008, should everything go as planned this year, and filming could begin promptly.

IMO, being a die-hard FFVII fan, having played the game and followed its' story and mythos throughout the years, I think Advent Children was a disgrace. Spliced footage, repeated footage, reptitious dialogue, horrible dubbing, faulty DVD handling, a drawn-out storyline, and ludicrous reasons for bringing back characters REALLY hold this one back for me. Also, this movie has as much plot holes as a golf course during gopher mating season - by the end of the movie, nothing's resolved, everything's back to how it began, and nothing's explained.

Are Cloud and Tifa engaged somehow, or did Barrett hit that while Cloud was off being emo? WHO KNOWS. :P :?

Nomura knows...but he's too busy being a pimp to the videogame mafia to actually sit down and finish FFVII the way it was meant to end - bringing closure to the series. I imported the original when it came out, with the "Last Order" OVA, then the american release..... I REALLY don't want to buy the american collector's edition, because I believe it's not worth it. Even worse - Advent Children COMPLETE for the PS3/Bluray - I give up. Forget it. While it may be the finite edition of the movie, it's overkill. Sure the movie nailed it with the visuals and the continuation, but it failed in the story and character detail.
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:19 pm

Ah, I liked Advent Chidlren... Sure, it didn't do that much for the story besides tell us that Sephiroth is capable of coming back but that was sort of it. I enjoyed it regardless.

My friend and I were discussing video game movies last night, and we both at least agreed that the first MK was probably the best one made. What's good is they made it before there were too many characters in the games. There were just a select few (compared ot how many there were in the sequel) they really had to work with and it came off nicely. It was action packed, it was fun.
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:38 am

Sephiroth is the whole reason I'll buy it for BR. Hell, George Newburn is the whole reason I will only watch the movie in English, as he does a fantastic Sephiorth.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:23 pm

I recently came across something interesting while reading a book at my local bookstore called "The History of Videogames":

Apparently Dreamworks' Pictures owns the rights to a certain new-age robot hero that, despite having two high-calibur games under his belt, never returned to grace the new age of consoles:

Listed under "SEGA'S GREATEST HITS" was # 3 on the list, Vectorman, as one of SEGA's greatest sleeper hits, and below it, info about ".....an upcoming PS2 game starring a NEW Vectorman" (Which we now know died before even coming to light).

What was interesting was how they described how SEGA and Dreamworks had begun pre-production on the Vectorman movie which was to be released in mid 2003, supposedly alongside its' PS2 release.

The movie was described as "Short Circuit meets Robocop and Terminator 2" and was about how a rogue virus infected the systems of a super robot named Raster, charged with the ability to run earth's information technology, and earth's attempt to stop it from arming and launching nuclear warheads on an unsuspecting civilization. After earth's armies fail to destroy the self-appointed dictator "WarHead", they are routed and overrun by their own robots, and surrender. Meanwhile....

A lowly trash orbot is struck by lightning whilst on duty, giving him the ability to reason and think for himself, and soon become the one thing that can stop "Warhead" from bringing about a nuclear apocalypse: The VECTORMAN.

Johnathan Mostow was attached to direct it at the time, with effects coming from ILM and Stan Winston's creature shop.

For those of you who played the games: would this have worked? I feels to me that this might've turned into something like what Transformers is today: a shadow of its' former self.

Granted, Mostow's a good director, with the few films he's done, but that's the thing: only 3 films under his belt at the time, and two of them were mildly interesting.

Also, bear in mind VECTORMAN would've gone in fresh: he's not as big as Sonic, but he's a cult favorite, and the premise of giant robots vs humanoid robot made out of orbs might've appealed to the kids.

Guess we'll never know. This movie never made it out of pre-production hell, and the PS2 game was cancelled after briefly appearing at E3 a few years ago and commiting the ultimate sin of deviating from it's roots(it became an FPS instead of an action-platformer like the originals). He still lives on through the "Sega Genesis Collection" on PS2 and PSP, and the possible LIVE, Wii Games, and .Home ports in the future....and of course, the countless other SEGA-inspired collection mash-ups out there.
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:12 am

Well I finally saw Hitman, and I have to admit that I liked it more than I thought I would. I thought the acting was pretty good, and it was def. violent. It really had the look of the game down at times, esp. with us always seeing the back of 47 like you would in the game when you're playing; although it did move kinda fast at times, sort of like the Bourne Ultimatum. My only major gripe is that it was too "balls to the wall" action and not more about stealth like in the games. We didn't even see the famous wire choke that 47 has on every mission. I guess they also changed 47's origin a bit. Not to be racist or anything, but it was weird seeing him face off against a black hitman from the Agency when 47 is suppose to be a genetically engineered clone; but I guess having all of the hitmen look like Timothy Olyphant would have confused the audience a bit. Anyway, it was pretty good for a video game movie.
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:44 am

I liked the movie, even if most people who told me about it said it sucked. I know Agent 47 isn't some John Woo-inspired bass ass - but given the situation he was put in in the film, his actions were called for. The games don't let you get that aggressive, but lets' think about it - the movie obviously was trying to cater to fans and non-fans alike.

Besides - the Game's 47 was british; the Movie's 47 sounded american. Though let's be honest - Timothy Olphant is a kick-ass actor.

BTW, what are your thoughts on Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li?
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:42 am

Whoa, what, a new Street Fighter movie? Can't that series just stay with whatever is left of its dignity in the shadows?
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games, Systems, and More