Let's Talk Videogame Movies...what do YOU like?

This is the forum to discuss video games, the systems they're played on, computer software games, video game related sites and magazines, and more!! If you're "wired", post it here!

Moderator: Controllers

Well, Do they?

Well, yeah....
33%
Nope.
67%

Total votes : 21

Postby Temjin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:07 pm

The Warriors wasn't RCR. TW wasn't funny or sarcastic as RCR. Also, TW wasn't centered on Martial Arts, like RCR was.

RCR worked because it was quirky and dynamic. If an RCR movie were made, it'd have to be funny, yet at the same time, take its' approach seriously.

Metroid has fan service...so expect that much in the anime...:P

Now, in the movie...I surer hope, if Woo get to it, that a good actress play Samus - I've seen too much of Kristanna Loken to actually like her in that role anymore...I'm thinking Amy Smart. She'd fit Samus well...:D
"A Man is truly dead when he is forgotten. Don't let them forget you. Ever."
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:24 pm

Temjin wrote:Wesker's in it, and Alice's story's supposed to hit a boiling point. it's mostly about Claire and some survivors, well...surviving. Don't knw if Chris is in it, though.

However, if you're expecting something like the games.....just don't get your hopes up too high.

No, if I wanted something like the games, I'd play the games. From what was said about the movie though, RE3 is going to show how Umbrella is shut down to tie it into RE4 (the game).

Anderson wasn't specific about Castlevania. If he's going with Lament of Innocence, then he's being pretty quiet about it.

But if it is when the Belmonts first battled with Dracula, it would have to be based on LoI. Anyway, as long as the music is great, it should be worthwhile.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:44 pm

Maybe I'm getting LoI confused.....That's the new PS2-XboX one or the PS2 exclusive?

By Thw Way, for those interested:

Rogue Playing Castlevania
New game-to-film adaptation details emerge!

"November 2, 2006 - Rogue Pictures has hooked up with genre filmmaker Paul W.S. Anderson and Crystal Sky Entertainment to help bring the classic videogame Castlevania to the big screen. Rogue, according to today's Variety will distribute the $50 million film in North America. Dimension Films, who had been previously linked with the project, dropped the movie after they failed to warm up to Anderson's script.

A number of new details have emerged about the Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat filmmaker's approach to the project. Anderson's script reportedly spans many time periods but mostly takes place in 15th century Transylvania. The movie is described as a fresh take on the Dracula legend, taking it back to the beginning with the story of Romanian prince Vlad the Impaler.

"You could almost call this movie Dracula Begins, Anderson told Variety.

Rogue co-president Andrew Rona says the movie is an "action/horror project in the vein of Underworld and Blade." He adds that the studio is hoping to turn Castlevania into a franchise.

Benedict Carver, president of co-backer Crystal Sky, says, "This is not what you'd call a typical videogame movie, it's a legend with a strong romantic element."

As in the game, much of the movie's drama is expected to be played out within Dracula's castle, a story element that appeals to Anderson. "Ever since I made Event Horizon, I've been obsessed with the idea of a location that's a character in the story, of being trapped in an environment that's out to get you," Anderson told the trade.

Anderson also says that the game's gothic visuals and eerie music will serve as his inspiration for the look and sound of the film.

Locations are reportedly being scouted in Hungary and Romania for a possible shoot starting in the spring. The castle set will be built in Budapest.
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:43 pm

LoI is the PS2 only game that starred Leon Belmont who threw away his knighthood to rescue his fiancee from Walter at Castle Dracula.

Are you thinking of Curse of Darkness which takes place 3 years after Castlevania 3.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:43 pm

yeah...I guess I was...:P

I ge the two of them mixed up because at the time LoI came out, I only had an Xbox, so I didn't pay any attention to it....So now that I've rediscovered it, they both look the same to me...
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:30 pm

Bloodrayne 2 is coming!

BloodRayne 2 Casting
Elektra actress set for Boll sequel.
by IGN Staff
November 6, 2006 - Uwe Boll is a one-man videogame movie machine that cannot be stopped! Box office and critics be damned, Boll is moving ahead with plans for a sequel to BloodRayne.

Brightlight Pictures announced today that model-turned-actress Natassia Malthe (DOA, Elektra) will star in Boll's BloodRayne 2.

The sequel, written by Christopher Donaldson and Neil Every, is expected to mirror the plot of developer Terminal Reality's game sequel, with Rayne as the only one standing between humankind and a horrifying vampire dawn. The new movie will incorporate Western elements.

"BloodRayne 2 marries the vampire, action and Wild West genres, and we are very excited that this movie is going to innovate a fantastic new look," Brightlight's Shawn Williamson said.

"I'm excited to do a sequel to BloodRayne," Boll adds, "and this time in the Wild West. I'm a big fan of Sergio Leone and John Ford."

Malthe, who played Typhoid Mary in Elektra, next stars as the purple-haired Ayane in the big-screen version of DOA.

I can't believe Uwe Boll hasn't been beaten to hell yet...
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:51 pm

Oh god, why is Uwe still allowed to make movies. Granted, BR was not as bad as his other 2, but its cheap budget and short running time is what really killed the movie.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:17 pm

BR....sucked to me(no pun intended). Loken gives a very wooden performance, something excusable when portraying a robot, but NOT as Rayne. Rayne is loose, flirty, sarcastic, and at times, frankly distraught/b!^chy, something the games seemed to convey all too well.

If Malthe does her Ayane interpretation as Rayne, granted, the movie might be okay, considering she took the role a little bit too seriously. Here's hoping she loosens up in this one....My final gripe about the Rayne movies, though a small one, is that the actresses they cast don't exactly fit Rayne's "mold", if you catch my drift. :wink: :D

To be called "Lara Croft's vampire cousin" means something in this industry, doesn't it? :)
Last edited by Temjin on Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:11 pm

Boll is an idiot. I can't believe he really thought BR would be a success with Michael Madsen and Ben Kingsly in it. I am honestly shocked that he's being allowed to make another movie, let alone a sequel esp. after that HUGE screw up from the first film where the movie didn't ship out or whatever. Plus it made what... not even 5 mil?
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:06 am

Yeah, Lokien didn't really fit the part, which is a shame as she is a great actress. Anyone remember her from Mortal Kombat Conquest?
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:18 pm

She was fun and innocent there. She was Taja, right? Well she wasn't exactly Kombat material either. She hardly fought, and when she did, it was a swift kick, jab, and push....Kung Lao did all the work. :P She reminded me of Amy Jo Johnson in the first power rangers - trying new approaches to her character and none of them getting her anywhere besides he one she was given....

Taja didn't have much of a purpose except to tag along and take any treasure the group found.....she was a thief afterall.

The series was fun while it lasted, and it laid the groundwork for the Deadly Alliance in the final episodes....Funny how the game appeared 4 years after that.

Now, the actresses who played Jade or Vorpax on the other hand.....that is Bloodrayne material! :D

BTW, let's recap a bit:

The Chun-Li: Street Fighter adaptation will be an AMERICAN production, with Hong Kong mainland ties, meaning....a hybrid film, like "Unleashed" or "Romeo Must Die".

Castlevania will be dubbed "Dracula Begins" and apparently deal with Eric and Lucia Belmont as they deal with the Tepes family of evil.(read this somewhere...)

Resident Evil: Extinction will end the Umbrella ark and lead into 2009's Resident Evil:After Life which is supposed to be an adaptation of Resident Evil 5 and Outbreak, with Jill, Chris and *gasp!* Alice as the protagonists as they hunt down Wesker in post-apocalyptic Tokyo.(again, read this somewhere...).

Now, I also read this in a Cinescape magazine - apparently there's plans for a Metal Gear movie starring Viggo Mortensen? That's news to me.
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:12 am

There allready is an independant film based off RCR,it's called River City Rumble.
And unlike Metal Bryan,I'm only interested in a Metroid anime if Samus DOES have massive jubblies for no reason.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:32 pm

River City Rumble? I have to check it out.

I'd also be interested in a Sexy Samus...err, Metroid anime. Could be fun to see her battle a ginormous Ridley atop a burning space station...

Then again, F-Zero sucked as far as being entertaining...No Falco punches anywhere to be seen either!!! :D :P

I'd also like to see a good Tomb Raider anime similar in tone and execution to HBO's Spawn, but animated by Production I.G.....

What about that...."What games would make good Anime?" !
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:54 pm

Metal Gear Solid would make a good anime. After all, like most anime, its plot is convulted and confusing with no sense of reality, so it would fit in quite right.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:20 am

True. Metal Gear would really benefit from it - The style Kojima uses is highly reminiscent of anime. Plus, add in what knowledge he gained from making Policenauts and Snatcher, and defintely, Metal Gear Solid would make a trully standout anime.

Final Fantasy would make good anime, though there's already an anime based on the name, but I don't think it's based on the games....

River City Ransom should've and probably could still be, an anime similar to the SD Gundam animes. Add in the sight gags, heavy martial arts action, and a daily assault from any of the 8 gangs that colonize River City, and you probably have a good anime on your hands.

Megaman had "Rockman Adventure", and has Megaman.Exe, but what it needs in a hardcore rendition of the original Megaman done ENTIRELY in anime. The crap that the US received should hold example of what happens when you try too hard to create something new by using old stuff - it never holds up for too long.

Brave Fencer Musashi's LOOONG overdue as an anime. Seriously - get the team behind Naruto on it, because this could be a hot franchise if handled correctly!
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:27 am

MGS would only work, to me, if they could get all the voices from the games to jump on board. Same reason i'm critical of a live-action movie, there's only one voice of Solid Snake.

I always wanted Mega Man X to be an anime. The movie from Maverick Hunter X was pretty good and showed that it could work. But as much as I hate to say it, the X series has either been put completely on the back burner (which sucks as I was actually looking forward to a X9 or the remake of X2) or is just done or taking some sort of hiatus.
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:45 pm

Keep in mind I haven't played the Metal Gear Solid games past the NES original ("I feel asleep!"),but don't they dub over Snake's voice into English for the U.S. version of the games? If so,that would mean there's allready a fake voice for him,so what's the difference if they do another? Besides,the movie will be straight to DVD in the U.S. no doubt,and is there anyone who watches these things in English besides little kids?
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:03 pm

Actually there's two voices for solid snake(three if you count his japanese seiyuu)

David Hayter - He's been Snake since the beginning, so he's the most recognizable voice in the cast.
Steven Jay Blum - He also did some voice work for Snake in Twin Snakes, though David Hayeter is creditted for most of it. And it shows - Their voices almost match at points. Currently, He voices Commander Gene in MGS Portable Ops. Still, that was just half the game, but he still did it.
Akio Ôtsuka - Again, like David, he's been Snake from the beginning and is pretty recognizable.

One other thing: The majority of the voice cast for the post MGS games ARE professional voice actors who've worked in other media. It'd be an easy fit for most of them to slip into their anime counterparts.

Something tells me we're not far from this, however.
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Garasharp K7 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:50 am

Temjin wrote:True. Metal Gear would really benefit from it - The style Kojima uses is highly reminiscent of anime. Plus, add in what knowledge he gained from making Policenauts and Snatcher, and defintely, Metal Gear Solid would make a trully standout anime.

Don't forget Zone of the Enders. You can't get more anime-influemced that that. :D
Not to mention it was eventually made into a series anyway, and a pretty good one too. That one at least proves that games can make decent tv shows if not movies.
"Godzilla's the one with the bad breath." - Minya
Garasharp K7
Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:22 pm

The simple answer to this question is "No."
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Temjin » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:04 pm

Just to update a bit - I was watching a channel recently on DirecTV on the CCTV network called "Culture Express" and there was a small blurb on there about Studio Canal wanting to bring Shadow of the Colussus to the big screen. They showed parts form the E3 trailer and the reporter added that should all go well in negotiations, the film would begin production mid 2008 for a release date sometime in 2009, and that right now, no cast, director, or screenwriter have been hired, and WETA softworks was being considered for special effects......she then added: "...if we wanted to see it, we'd better pray nothing bad happens, because it's a looong wait."

I'll wait till it's more than a rumor/ report, since these things tend to dive under the radar and die. I'll wait for the press release and an actual announcement from Studio Canal to get excited.

Which brings me back to what we talked about before - it'd be very difficult to make an epic out of "Colossus" because there's not much to it than the Wanderer going from place to place defeating each collossi in different ways. Now, the story's there and if they could put it together via flashbacks and make the story coherent along with the backdrops/settings, I think this would be a very worthy filmgoing experience.
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:12 pm

I think if anything, movies like Cast Away showed that you can just have 1 character in a movie. Of course with that there were scenes when it wasn't just Tom Hanks, but it can be pulled off. I just don't think they could squeeze all the action into 2 hours. Maybe closer to a 3 hour movie would work, but I would imagine them not using every Colossi. This is all assuming the movie is being made of course.
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:31 am

Based on what I saw in Arthur and the Invisibles, Studio Canal has the technology to make something of this calibur work, IF the director's vision allows for it. Now, IF and at this point, that's a big IF, SONY allows Studio Canal to adapt it, then it might be worth the wait, considering they want WETA to do the SFX....

I haven't heard anything on the subject in Reuters, Comingsoon.net, Global AP, or IGN, so I'm starting to feel the news isn't legit. What's strage is that this show was an arts show from asia, specifically China, which, if true, would mean it's an overseas affair and have nothing to do with Hollywood filmmaking, so it would receive much media coverage. But still, if there isn't a reuters article on it....

Also, although many speculate Colossus 2 is in the works, it hasn't been announced, and Colossus 1 didn't make much of a splash in sales anyway....although it IS a Greatest Hits title....
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:22 pm

What IS Arthur and the Invisibles?
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:07 pm

A really terrible movie. Never seen it, never want to. All I know is that when I saw Rocky Balboa and this preview came up, myself and the rest of the audience were laughing our asses off at the idea of this movie. Lots of people saying what the hell is this.
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games, Systems, and More