Let's Talk Videogame Movies...what do YOU like?

This is the forum to discuss video games, the systems they're played on, computer software games, video game related sites and magazines, and more!! If you're "wired", post it here!

Moderator: Controllers

Well, Do they?

Well, yeah....
33%
Nope.
67%

Total votes : 21

Let's Talk Videogame Movies...what do YOU like?

Postby Temjin » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:26 am

I recently saw DOA: Dead Or Alive, the movie, and saw what reminded me of Charlie's Angles with Mortal Kombat....Utter nonsense and bullcrap...though, like the games...the ladies were 101% the main attractions :D and worth the ticket :wink:....and the main gentlemen impressed as well(with their acting). Overall, the movie was..well...nothing special. Fun, but not worth watching again.

Based on that short spoiler-free review, it didn't do anything to restore faith in videogame adaptations...which, again, isn't necessarily JUST the studio's fault, but the source material's - there's not a lot to go by in the games to make a decent logical storyline.

Which brings me to the point of my topic: Should videogames be adapted to movies? Right now, the ratio of good adaptations to bad ones might tip 3:1 because of failures like Bloodrayne, House of the Dead, and Alone in The Dark....

DOA could be borderline successful because it pretty much is a fanservice title and the martial arts displayed actually mimic the games', but ultimately, those who see it won't like it.

But...is there hope? Are there actually games out there worth tapping into? Could M. Night Shyamalan trust in the system enough to make a decent movie out of, say, System Shock? Could peter Jackson draw enough strength to create a masterpiece out of "Shadow of the Collossus"? Should Disney imagineers and Square-Enix gurus come together to unleash "Kingdom Hearts" to the masses in a magical spectacle for the ages?

What would be needed for such a feat, besides money, a few good actors, a lot of heart, imagination, and hunger - as well as the technical resources to do it?

What do you guys think?
Last edited by Temjin on Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:48 am, edited 7 times in total.
"A Man is truly dead when he is forgotten. Don't let them forget you. Ever."
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:42 am

Only very few have actually been good... VERY few. The first Tomb Raider, I thought, was pretty decent. Resident Evil (the first one anyway) I also like a lot, but it's Mortal Kombat that is probably the best. They really did a good job on the first one anyway (second one was decent but I could've done without a lot of things).

What really scares me is the talk of Metal Gear and Metroid being made into movies, esp. Metal Gear. To me, there's only one voice of Snake, and unless the movie was CGI, then I won't have a problem with it. Metroid on the other hand, they need to just stay away from that. That's like sacred territory haha. As for the upcoming Halo, im glad it got dumped (although I hear it's being picked up again). Even with Peter Jackson having a role in it, I still think it would suck. Something like Shadow of the Colossus... Stay away from it. They'd screw that up, I know it.
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:57 pm

I'd like to believe in the possibility of a truly GREAT video game inspired film, but so far it really has not happened... ever. Mortal Kombat is probably my favorite, but I still wouldn't consider it a great film. Tomb Raider was also very good. I'm also one of the few who actually enjoyed the Super Mario Brothers movie, despite how different it was from the games.

Shadow Of The Colossus might make a good film, but they'd have to include a lot of backstory which isn't present in the game itself to make it a great movie. In the end that would probably make it less like the game and more like a great summer fantasy/action film.

I'm hoping for a Nintendo-helmed live-action Zelda franchise. I aim high, because I know it'll never happen. :lol:
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby Brick Side » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:35 am

Here's the thing about SOC. Fans, like myself, will want it to be faithful. We'll watch and expect a movie about a man saving a woman by battling these giant creatures. If they have only one monster, we'll be dissapointed. The game gave us 16, we'll expect that or another high number. That would be the movie though... A man, that we know nothing about (which adds to the charm), fighting these monsters. That's the whole movie and I would personally be excited to see battle after battle, but I know most people would be like "God, this is so boring. Does anything else happen?" Hollywood getting it's grubby fingers on it, i'm certain they would mess it up.

By the way... Double Dragon, Street Fighter, Super Mario Bros... need I say more?
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby CousinOfGodzilla » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:57 am

Video games don't translate well into films for the same reason most independent and popular properties don't translate well to film- Writers, producers, and actors who don't give a damn about the source material, and change everything as they go.

I saw both Mario Bros. and Street Fighter at the theater as a kid. My brain still hasn't fully recovered.. (Well, actually, no. I loved both of those films as a kid. And I couldn't wait for sequels to both to come out. Ahh, to be a child and to be easily satisfied.)

And Tomb Raider was good? Whaaaa? I went to that film with five other guys who wanted to see the film for no other reason but to stare at Angelina Jolie, and yet the six of us had never been in such agreement on a film stinking in our entires lives. We ripped that movie apart for weeks. The CGI in that film, especially the scene where the statue comes to life and attacks Lara, is some of the worst since the technique first started being used.
Cousin

"THIS, is where the power lies, brother!!!"
CousinOfGodzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:06 am

Christ, I just HAD to mention Street Fighter...

Report: Street Fighter returning to the big screen
Variety says new film will focus on Chun Li; 2008 release targeted to celebrate series' 20th anniversary.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Oct 30, 2006 5:18 pm PT
Street Fighter's previous cracks at the big screen haven't fared so well. It debuted as a lighthearted theme for a fight scene in Jackie Chan's tepid manga-to-movie effort City Hunter and then received a movie of its own in 1994 with Street Fighter. The action flick starring "The Muscles from Brussels" Jean-Claude Van Damme in the lead role as the American fighter, Guile, was poorly received and served as an unfortunate swan song for the career of Raul Julia, who played M. Bison.

Capcom apparently hopes that the third time is the charm, as film industry trade publication Variety is reporting that the publisher has teamed up with production company Hyde Park Entertainment (What's the Worst That Could Happen?, Shopgirl) to make another feature film for the fighting franchise. Slated for 2008 (to coincide with Street Fighter's 20th anniversary), the film will reportedly feature a script penned by Justin Marks, who is also handling the big-screen adaptation of Voltron. The film will be a joint venture between Capcom and Hyde Park Entertainment, but the Variety report mentions no actors or crewmembers that have been attached to the project yet.

A Capcom of America representative would not comment on the report.

Why Lord, why? Granted, I love the animated movie, but another live action one? :?

Maybe... and just MAYBE, Capcom really wants it to succeed, so MAYBE they'll make it more serious like Mortal Kombat. That was extremely faithful to the games, esp. the overall nature of the film (and i'd like to add that the actor whom played Shant Tsung was awesome). I don't know though... I guess we'll see :?

By the way, why focus on Chun-Li? Don't get me wrong, GREAT character, seriously, but the 2 core characters of the entire SF universe are Ken and Ryu...
Last edited by Brick Side on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby kamacuras » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:06 am

To be honest, I hated the Mortal Kombat movies. I always thought Final Fantasy was pretty good, expect for the fact that it did not have the storyline of any of the video games.

BTW, I wouln't mind seeing a Sonic movie a la FF7:AC style.
Save the planet. Go green.
kamacuras
Little Godzilla

Postby Brick Side » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:09 am

I thought we were sticking to the movies that made it to theaters, but if that's not the case i'd like to say that I really enjoyed Advent Children. Some dog on it, others love it. I think it's great (not really a Final Fantasy fan too much). I also said Street Fighter the Animated Movie was good, in fact very good.
-Mike
Brick Side
Burning Godzilla

Postby CousinOfGodzilla » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:11 am

"Final Fantasy: Spirits Within" was really one of the most beautiful films ever made. From a technical standpoint, as far as CGI goes, it was outstanding. The plot, and characters on the other hand, didn't do anything for me.

The recent FF7 movie was sort of similar, only that film managed to take characters, that everyone loves, and more or less do nothing of note with them. Cloud's slight character evolution was good though.
Cousin

"THIS, is where the power lies, brother!!!"
CousinOfGodzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:40 am

It depends on the movie and who's making it.

If you stay close to the source, have a director that's likes the source and can get good actors then yeah you have your self a good game to film translation.

Some of my favs being Resident Evil and the first Mortal Kombat, anything by Uwe Boll on the other hand is crap and that man should never make movies again.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MireGoji » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:42 am

Well, when I went to see DOA: Dead or Alive, I went in with low expectations, and actually, I'll admit that I quite liked it. I also then started to hate it because it made me like it.

But I think why I thought it was good was because it didn't really seem to take itself too seriously - it's supposed to just be a knowing wink and a tip of the hat to the original games, which is why you have Obligatory Volleyball Scene, Christie's shower scene I believe is a lift from her DOA3 ending, there's the system voice, things like that.

And, to be fair, although I didn't recognise half the cast names, I don't think you could have picked better actors and actresses to play the characters - I mean, although Kane Kosugi deserves something of a better movie to appear in than this, I thought he really worked as Hayabusa (dunno about the implied romantic feelings for Kasumi, like...)

Still, though, the best videogame-to-movie for me would have to be Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. Okay, it doesn't really add anything new to the lore, but it was awesome to see the gang back and in such wonderfully rendered scenes. And I defy anyone not to grin when Sephiroth returns.

Actually, I don't really count Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within as technically an adaptation. Yes, it has the Final Fantasy title, and yes it was created by Square Enix, but I think that's as far as it goes, really.

I remember liking Super Mario Brothers. But then, I was eight at the time.
"Crossing into established events is strictly forbidden. Except for cheap tricks."
- The Tenth Doctor, Smith and Jones
MireGoji
Burning Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:22 am

I'll go temporarily off topic here....

Advent Children
Maybe it's because I'm a die-hard fan of Final Fantasy VII, but AC did absolutely NOTHING to improve or embellish the good history of that story arc.

I bought it believing it was some spectacle for the ages. Granted, it was, but the voice acting and the subtitles f$#@ed it up for me BIG TIME. Then you have about 2 mins. of reused footage halfway into the movie, like they couldn't render more scenes to go along with the storyline, and some really deep plot holes that make you wonder how the heck the characters even coexist with each other....AND...they don't even expalin HOW they survived the ending of FFVII....Moving on...

Don't get me wrong - I like Mena Suvari as an actress - she was great in "American Beauty", but she absolutely SUCKS as Aeris/Aerith in AC. Sure, she's hardly in it, but at least give it some thought when you voice someone, no matter how much screentime they give you. Put some effort to not just try to sounds sweet and innocent, but actually do it WITH some charisma. If you've played Kingdom Hearts 2, you'll know what I'm talking about. Mandy Moore did a better job in KH. But it's a small issue compared to the bigger problem....

They screw up the bedroom scene(not what you guys think....though I hope that's what it implied :wink:) by having the conversation make less sense than it did in the original japanese release. DAMN.:shock:

Then, they add this kid who sorta resembles Cloud, yet Tifa, by Barrett's dialogue anyway, is his "mom"...They never tell you anything about him except he's gonna die if he's not cured....Yet Cloud is totally all over him when he's captured. I don't know but I'm hoping this means something happened between Cloud and Tifa since FFVII, because that's where it left off in the game.

but....Sephiroth just kicks ass. the climax is worth the price of admission. You have to wait a while, but this fight just kicks ass....I DARE Hollywood to top this.

Square plans to release Advent Children:Complete by Christmas with the deleted scenes reinjected into the story and some extras - hopefully they fixed what they broke.

Spirits Within would've been accepted, IMO, if it didn't have the Final Fantasy name. Honestly, that's what messed it up.

I firmly believe that if it had kept "GAIA", Sakaguchi-san's original name for it, no one would've pushed it aside. On its' own, it's a beautiful movie that had the potential to be revolutionary.

DOA
I liked Kane Kosugi, Kevin Nash, and <Hayate's Actor> roles in DOA. Kane should DEFINITELY return if there's a Ninja Gaiden movie somewhere down the road(granted, his dad brought the ninja movie genre to another level here in the states AND he was also Ultraman, so it'd make perfect sense for him to fill those shoes) Nash was hilarious and really played it cool throughout the movie as Tina's father figure*note Tina's bedroom scene and the prefight talk)

Also, I'm surprised - the only one that semi-stunk within the girls was Natasshia Malthe as Ayane, who not only looked waaaay older than Kasumi, but looked rather boring throughout. However, she didn't get that much screentime, so she's passable. Ali Larter as Helena? I thought Helena was the CEO of DOATECH, the company running the show? Also, wasn't she a bit older, more classy? Anyways, she did a good job of being young Helena at least...

All in all, the movie was a nice touch, and bearable, if you remember that the source material's not all that realistic either.
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby KaiserGhidorah » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:07 pm

I really enjoyed the first Mortal Kombat and it's probably my favorite of all the video game to movie adaptions. I've heard rumors flying that the 3rd Mortal Kombat has been in the works for who knows how long now. Anybody ever hear what became of that?

As far as Resident Evil goes, I'd have to say I enjoyed the second film moreso than I did the first one. The second film had better captured the actual feel of the game moreso than the first one did IMHO. However, this isn't to say the first film was bad by any means. It's a passable film.

Now, I loved the DOOM film. Many do not but I thought it was great.

The Tomb Raider films were aight but outside of these and those mentioned above - most of other video game to movie adaptions have fallen flat on their face.

However, I do believe that the impending Halo flick will make for a good film and probably the best video game to movie adaption ever. That is truly a film I absolutely cannot wait for if it ever becomes a reality. Unfortunately, production has grounded to a halt as Microsoft continues to have problems with distributors so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
KaiserGhidorah
Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:55 pm

Resident Evil
Resident Evil Apocalypse
Mortal Kombat
MK Annihilation
Silent Hill
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider 2
FFVII Advent Children

I think I'm forgetting one or two.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby ultrazilla2000 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:55 am

I loved Silent Hill, though I realize I'm in the minority on that one. But I did. :) I thought it was faithful in spirit to the game, and made for a fun movie. The Resident Evil movies I enjoyed as well, though they went too astray from the source material in my opinion. Along with those three, I'd say only the first Mortal Kombat really worked well as a film.

I would like to say Tomb Raider, but for some reason I found both of those movies so dang boring and tedius...I can't explain why.

I think any good game with a storyline COULD be a good movie if in the right hands, but unfortunately Uwe Boll seems to have the only hands grabbing at them these days.
ultrazilla2000
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:25 am

Uwe Boll is still working on Dungeon Keeper/Dungeon Siege....and supposedly Postal.

We shouldn't see more of him in a while.

Silent Hill was alright - maybe if you played all the games you would like it even more, but for me, personally, I only played the first and the third.....But still, a nice horror movie that got very close to what a videogame adaptation should be.

Tomb Raider wanted to be philosophical about everything, so the movie went down the crapper...though word is, after Angelina finishes her next few projects, she'll be back for the third outing, focusing on the last two games.....could be interesting.

KaiserGhidorah wrote:I really enjoyed the first Mortal Kombat and it's probably my favorite of all the video game to movie adaptions. I've heard rumors flying that the 3rd Mortal Kombat has been in the works for who knows how long now. Anybody ever hear what became of that?

Mortal Kombat 3 is still in preproduction from what I can gather. It is or will be filmed at New Line's new facility that they hope to debut with MK - last I heard, all the major players are back, with a few exceptions....and that the new script revolves around the events in MK:D and DA.

ultrazilla2000 wrote:....... but unfortunately Uwe Boll seems to have the only hands grabbing at them these days.

You'd be surprised, it's not that they're not getting them - sometimes, they get them, but don't use 'em:

Before Uwe Boll, Paul W.S. Anderson began scooping up as many as he could find - turns out he managed to snag RE, MK, Castlevania, and two others he isn't letting out yet - they're believed to be Dino Crisis and Time Crisis, since they were pretty low-brow and no one would notice their purchase.

M. Night Shyamalan wanted Fatal Frame and.....The legend Of Zelda. however, Nintendo guards the Zelda copyright like a Fort Knox security guard, so no good...Fatal Frame went to someone else at 20th Century Fox, though.

Quentin Tarantino wanted to do GTA, but he began his "pop culture rennaisance" projects and then was tagged to do a few by-contract movies for Miramax....He's stil stoked about one day doing a videogame adaptation, though....I heard he was interested in doing "Streets of Rage" :shock:...:P

In Japan, SONY has the rights to Siren and will produce a movie based on the franchise(w/ Gaga-Usen) for release with the upcoming PS3 game in late 2007-early 2008.

There're also plans for a Sengoku Musou(Dynasty Warriors or Samurai Warriors) movie as a Hong Kong-Japan production from "Studio 11"....as well as the Soul Calibur movie from, supposedly, Dreamworks Japan and Shochiko(hope I spelled it right) studios....Sammo Hung wanted exclusive rights to direct SC, but I haven't heard of him actually getting them. he DID get around to directing the feux TEKKEN movie "In The Name of Heroes", though. I wonder if NAMCO liked his effort...critics sure didn't.

And now we know of the forthcoming Street Fighter: Chun Li movie....Somehow it feels like it'll come out like a Jackie Chan movie, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in China - see "New Police Story" and "The Myth" for confirmation.

Oh...and John Woo's "Metroid"......ummm, that could crash and burn.

There are some franchises that were once bought but never used - like SoR, ZOE, Legend of Dragoon, the MANA series, Megaman and CONTRA were once bought by companies on both sides of the pacific but dumped afterwards. CONTRA however is still owned by 20th Century Fox....Maybe they think James Cameron is still interested?
Last edited by Temjin on Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MireGoji » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:32 am

Temjin wrote:ISquare plans to release Advent Children:Complete by Christmas with the deleted scenes reinjected into the story and some extras - hopefully they fixed what they broke.

Hmm, wonder if it'll be released over here in England? And would I buy it, even though I already have the original FF7:AC release?

...What the Hell, Michigan am I saying? 'Course I will!

Temjin wrote:Also, I'm surprised - the only one that semi-stunk within the girls was Natasshia Malthe as Ayane, who not only looked waaaay older than Kasumi, but looked rather boring throughout. However, she didn't get that much screentime, so she's passable. Ali Larter as Helena? I thought Helena was the CEO of DOATECH, the company running the show? Also, wasn't she a bit older, more classy? Anyways, she did a good job of being young Helena at least...

Well, this all goes under "Changed Premises". To begin with Helena, she did become CEO of DOATEC in Dead or Alive 4, and she was in her early twenties with a former career as an opera singer.

Ayane in the games is actually younger than Kasumi, and the two are half-sisters (same mother), which makes Hayate Ayane's half-brother. Now, I'm presuming that might have taken a bit of explaining had the movie kept this particular plot thread, which is presumably why it was altered.

Furthermore, I think Ayane's pursuit of Kasumi was the reason for Christie's character to be a little more focused on the newly-added "thief" angle.

Y'know what? I actually wouldn't mind a DOA 2, because what I thought Donovan's plan was going to be was creation of Alphas, rather than what he was actually up to (which still was a neat idea; I couldn't help but think during the scene where he's contacting his buyers, "Oh, so that's what X-Box Live is really for!")
"Crossing into established events is strictly forbidden. Except for cheap tricks."
- The Tenth Doctor, Smith and Jones
MireGoji
Burning Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:03 am

Miregoji wrote:"Y'know what? I actually wouldn't mind a DOA 2, because what I thought Donovan's plan was going to be was creation of Alphas, rather than what he was actually up to (which still was a neat idea; I couldn't help but think during the scene where he's contacting his buyers, "Oh, so that's what X-Box Live is really for!")"

So true. :P :D Sorta makes you want to watch it again to see how many nods they gave to the games....and also shows how much of a gamer you are.:P

Eric Roberts was actually a welcome addition to the movie....He acted mysterious, yet welcoming, clearly taking a page out of "Enter the Dragon", what the movie was loosely mimicking. I was also expecting some big boss to come out, like Omega, Raidu, or heck, Ein. But no....I'm guessing they second-guessed that idea,Probably to enhance Donovan.....I wonder if Itagaki'll pick him up for a later sequel.

I was thinking, OT:

I remember hearing Paul W.S. Anderson speak about how difficult it is to bring videogames to the big screen. He realized that it was too difficult to please both casual audiences and fans because of the subject matter: you can't stray too far from it to push away loyal fans, but you can't give the people something so attached it'll confuse them and lose their attention.

Judging by his track record, I trust him. He went by his instincts for Mortal Kombat and he made one heck of a film that still holds up today. Resident Evil was weaker because he wanted to introduce a new idea for the franchise, and although it worked, it didn't match his expectations(he said this on a program somewhere...if anyone knows, let me know).
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:49 am

What is the status on Resident Evil 3? Like MK3, that seems to be in pre-production hell. Oh yeah, and isn't there supposedly a Fatal Frame movie in the works?

Temjin, I had only played Silent Hill 1 when I saw the movie, and still loved it. I just recently played the second one, and will soon be doing 3 and 4.

A GTA movie is quite pointless as it cannot be done differently than any other gangster movie out there. Hell, all you have to do is rename Reservoir Dogs Grand Theft Auto and there you go, you have your GTA movie.

Now I would love to see a Castlevania movie, as that would probably be pretty sweet, especially if they use the composer who did the music to Lament of Innocence on it. I say probably be pretty sweet because if there is ever one, the director would have to find a way to make it different from every other vampire hunting movie out there.

Lastly, when I get into the movie industry, I want to make a movie on Legacy of Kain Blood Omen. First off, I would have it be two 2-3 hour movies, so that every character from the game could appear, and there would be enough time to balance out the plot and action scenes. Also, I would have Simon Templeman play Kain, as no one else could do it but him, while Kurt Hartland (I think that was his name) would be the one to do the soundtrack. And most of all, the DVD version would include the ending where Kain chooses to sacrifice himself as an alternate ending, which can be selected at the disc menu (which would have Ariel's picture with a card on each side just like the game had).
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:18 am

Before Uwe Boll, Paul W.S. Anderson began scooping up as many as he could find - turns out he managed to snag RE, MK, Castlevania, and two others he isn't letting out yet - they're believed to be Dino Crisis and Time Crisis, since they were pretty low-brow and no one would notice their purchase.

M. Night Shyamalan wanted Fatal Frame and.....The legend Of Zelda. however, Nintendo guards the Zelda copyright like a Fort Knox security guard, so no good...Fatal Frame went to someone else at 20th Century Fox, though.

Castlevania comes out October 2008(tentative) . Anderson himself will direct it, and it'll deal with how the Belmonts began their war against Dracula.....and yes, the whip is in. :wink:

As of last month, RE3 is set to come out next summer. It's not in pre-production - it's at the halfway point. Don't be surprised if we get some pictures of the Hunters later next month....

Fatal Frame is still on, quite possibly also for 2008, since Dreamworks or New Line, I think, owns the rights to the picture....Last I heard they were debating on whether to leave it as an asian setting, or make it a hybrid, like "The Grudge".

I'm also aspiring to getting in the movie industry - I'm a 2nd year film student and hopefully this and a Bachelors in psychology do wonders for my resume. :D

A good videogame movie is one that sticks to the core of the source, right? But haven't most of these adaptations been close? Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider, Bloodrayne weren't they all close to their sources?

Street Fighter and House Of the Dead strayed far from them and failed.

Sonic the hedgehog: The Movie(yes, there was one - ADV Films released it on DVD a few years ago) and Street Fighter: The Motion Picture, while totally animated, managed to pull off the exact feel of the games - in Sonic's case, his blinding speed, and his world's quirky characters, while fleshing it out even further than most of us know it.

Street Fighter:The Motion Picture was gritty, urban, and was all about the fighting - even if all the characters weren't emphasized on. We got to see Ryu and Sagat's conflict as well as Ken and ryu's eternal rivalry and Bison's true evil in living color, and it made perfect sense after playing the games so long. Shame they never ended it, but I guess the mysticism of the movie stays intact that way.

Now, one movie in particular - TEKKEN: TMP, didn't live up to expectations. Wile it did do a good job in expalining the events of the first two games, there was no sense of accomplishment and nothing felt resolved at the film's end, maybe because that's how the games play out.

What do these movies have in common? They closely resembled the games they're based on, and even through some rough parts, they managed to give you a worthwhile experience.

If only live-action movies could do the same, without falling into the CG ridiculousness.
Last edited by Temjin on Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:54 pm

All of the Sonic The Hedgehog anime shows I've ever seen looked awesome. I even thought the american cartoon was kinda cool when I was younger. 8)
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby Temjin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:18 am

- 'cause anime Sonic's better than crappime Sonic any day. :P

Seriously, Sonic's american ventures SUCKED. They made him look like a chili-dog scarfin' Looney Tunes reject that did nothing like the games. It's like the japanese understand him better than we do....and why not? they did create him afterall...

I'm thinkin' Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Star Fox should have animes....AND River City Ransom.

Speaking of which, how would you guys feel about a River City Ransom movie? Would it be logical and possible to have something done in that fashion?

Another hot property being discussed out there is BURNOUT....Would that movie have any box office success? Most definitely. Kids nowadays love hot cars, especially if they go fast.....and that's the main focus of Burnout.

One thing though: There's no coherent story, so what's the point? I have a few ideas how to incorporate BURNOUT to a logical story, and quite possibly, they'll work.....
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:41 am

Temjin wrote:Castlevania comes out October 2008(tentative) . Anderson himself will direct it, and it'll deal with how the Belmonts began their war against Dracula.....and yes, the whip is in. :wink:

Ah, so it is going to be based off Lament of Innocence then?

As of last month, RE3 is set to come out next summer. It's not in pre-production - it's at the halfway point. Don't be surprised if we get some pictures of the Hunters later next month....

About freaking time. I've been wanting to see the end of Alice's story for a long ass time. I hope she gets to fight Wesket. Plus I want to see the downfall of Umbrella.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:03 am

Wesker's in it, and Alice's story's supposed to hit a boiling point. it's mostly about Claire and some survivors, well...surviving. Don't knw if Chris is in it, though.

However, if you're expecting something like the games.....just don't get your hopes up too high.

It's like Mad Max+Dawn of the Dead, except Umbrella's still around and their creations run amok.

Anderson wasn't specific about Castlevania. If he's going with Lament of Innocence, then he's being pretty quiet about it.
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:38 pm

Temjin wrote:- 'cause anime Sonic's better than crappime Sonic any day. :P

Seriously, Sonic's american ventures SUCKED. They made him look like a chili-dog scarfin' Looney Tunes reject that did nothing like the games. It's like the japanese understand him better than we do....and why not? they did create him afterall...

I'm thinkin' Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Star Fox should have animes....AND River City Ransom.

Speaking of which, how would you guys feel about a River City Ransom movie? Would it be logical and possible to have something done in that fashion?

:lol: Like I said, I enjoyed the US cartoons as a kid, though I probably wouldn't if I watched them now. It's much the same with the Super Mario and Zelda cartoons, which I HAVE watched again and wasn't as amused. A Zelda anime would be awesome if they focused on the A Link To The Past story... Ocarina Of Time might be great as well, though there isn't as much gameplay to work with.

Metroid would make an amazing anime, assuming they don't give Samus massive jubblies for no reason :lol:. Star Fox, I'm not as sure, though it definitely has somewhat of an interesting storyline.

River City Ransom movie?... Why not just watch The Warriors? :wink: I think it's close enough.
metal_bryan
Controller

Next

Return to Video Games, Systems, and More