Godzilla comics...????

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:30 pm

The Hellboy Memorial Awards: ComicsAlliance's Best Comics of 2012, Part 4 BEST ARMY BROS VS. GIANT MONSTERS COMIC
Tim Callahan wrote:Godzilla: The Half-Century War
By James Stokoe
Published by IDW Publishing
Available: Comics shops (print) / ComiXology (digital)

With Guillermo del Toro's big-budget mecha-vs-kaiju Pacific Rim movie coming out in the summer of 2013, I'm sure we will continue to see an increased interest in giant monsters and the men and women tasked with combatting them. But out of all the comic book versions of that scenario, the best available right now is James Stokoe's Godzilla: The Half-Century War, a comic that sets the acclaimed Orc Stain creator loose in the cinematic world of Toho, Ltd.

As I write this, only the first three issues of the five-issue miniseries have been released, but the shape of the story is clear: each issue depicts a decade-specific battle between the AMF (the Anti-Megalosaurus Force) and Godzilla (and friends), and as the years go on, things get increasingly more insane. The first issue opens in 1954, and while it's James Stokoe doing his hyper-kinetic, excitingly-detailed depictions of men and monsters and machines, it's the tamest issue of the bunch. It's mostly an issue about establishing the unusual and unexpected nature of the giant monster threat, and giving Godzilla a chance to unleash. By the time of issue #3, we've jumped ahead to 1975, the ragtag AMF-ers pilot a barely-souped-up Volkswagen van (with a trippy Mothra painted on the side) through the streets of Ghana, dodging giant spiders and lobster creatures and atomic breath blasts.

While a publisher like Marvel or DC might allow a creator like Stokoe to play around with their characters in a jokey anthology project like Strange Tales or Bizarro World, IDW and Toho have given the cartoonist a chance to have some fun with the Godzillaverse characters in a miniseries that actually has a substantial plot and character development. This isn't a pushed-to-the-side, oh-look-how-funny-it-is-for-this-indie-artist-to-draw-our-characters kind of comic. No. This is a great giant monster comic -– the best I've ever read -– that is full of humor and playfulness and absolutely stunning imagery.

This is what you get when you give James Stokoe the steering wheel and he takes off, with the rest of the comics industry saying, "where the heck is he going? Can we even try to keep up?" Maybe not, but we can all at least watch where he's headed and enjoy every moment.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:21 pm

User kaijukurt on IDW forums posted this reflection from Chris Mowry, author of Godzilla: Legends #4, about his original idea to do a Gigan origin story for the issue.

Chris Mowry wrote:My story was going to deal with how he got all of his weapons and what not and how he went from a planetary protector to deranged monster, always looking for a fight. Towards the end of the book, we reveal that he's encased in some of SpaceGodzilla's crystals... but he has a new weapon to use. Aaaaaand, they fight.

My first pitch to wrap up the KOM storyline had him cleaning up the Earth's problems (basically a reverse Final Wars approach), but barely escaping with his life after meeting Godzilla. I had a fun scene with him and Kumonga that I might save in case I ever get to write something with those two in it someday.

Unfortunately, the idea was rejected by Toho for reasons that I'm probably not allowed to discuss, but it had to do with that character being a bit too humanized and somewhat contradicting earlier films (not sure about why that would be, but oh well).

His weaponry was all based on earlier experiences. He lost a fight, so was modified to never lose that same way again. That kind of thing. Eventually, he kind of begins to rely on this sort of modification and in a way, becomes addicted to it. So, by they time the book is over, he's just this crazed, fearless monster with body issues.

If I'm ever given the opportunity to write out a full series, I promise you that he will show up. He's one of my favorite characters in the G universe and I have some pretty unique situations that I want to put him in.

Thanks for checking out the books! Hope you like Legends #4!

I think it would have been really cool.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:06 pm

It would have been interesting. Hopefully he gets to write a Gigan story the way he wants eventually.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:20 am

That sounded really cool. Too bad certain people decided to shoot it down for really stupid reasons.

"Humanized?" Seriously, that just sounds like bitching to hear yourself "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!". There may be a basis of truth there; he was just a cyborg killing machine in the previous movies, but, even if it does involve Spacegodzilla, what the hell is the problem with having a little fun with his journey to that point?
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:12 pm

From BC:
Joshua Dysart’s Godzilla That Wasn’t
This is the rejected Godzilla pitch that let Joshia Dysart write Harbinger…
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:18 pm

That sounds kind of interesting.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jrichreturns » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:27 pm

It sounds awesome~!!! Much better than what we got...:(
-SEIG ZEON!
jrichreturns
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:49 am

There are some cool ideas and some that I could do without. I like the space invasion angle.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:49 pm

I got really excited when my eyes caught the word Meganulon in the middle of the blurb... but once i read it, I had to wonder if he really meant to say Meganulon... probably Megaguirus...sigh...
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Alan Moore vs Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:22 pm

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Godzilla vs Charles Barkley

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:45 am

Nike Commercial 'Godzilla vs Charles Barkley''
phpBB [media]

GODZILLA VS. CHARLES BARKLEY (1992)
In the summer of 1992, while the Heisei Era G-series was still ongoing, Godzilla faced an opponent more unusual than Hedorah and Biollante combined on the small screen in America...none other than NBA basketball star Charles Barkley himself.
This 30 second commercial, one of the best visual depictions of Godzilla ever, and part of an advertising campaign for Nike’s Air Ballistic Force line of basketball shoes, was also fairly respectful considering the frivolous tone of the storyline, and was first aired September 9, 1992 on MTV.

An elaborate teaser trailer preceded the release of the commercial during the July 1992 All-Star Game on CBS, depicting stock footage of Godzilla’s battles from the G-films of the '60s and '70s, and ending with the new footage of Godzilla donning his goggles and confronting Barkley. Full page movie poster-style ads were also featured in magazines such as ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY and ROLLING STONE, something previously unheard of for a 30 second commercial. The storyline of the commercial is as follows:

Godzilla is rampaging through Tokyo, smashing buildings and incinerating everything in sight with his atomic breath (a Toho sign could be seen falling by astute viewers). Suddenly, much to the kaiju’s surprise, an almost equally gigantic Charles Barkley approaches him, dribbling a giant basketball in hand. Accepting Barkley’s challenge for a one-on-one basketball game, Godzilla dons a pair of goggles and then uses his tail to move down the ‘O’ in a huge Tokyo sign to form a makeshift basketball hoop.
As the contest begins, Godzilla strikes first, knocking the basketball out of Barkley’s hand with his tail. Barkley nevertheless catches the ball and shoulders Godzilla, sending the Kaiju King smashing into a skyscraper, and the giant athlete then pounds an enormous jam.
Following the contest, the two giants proceed to walk off together in the city, Barkley asking Godzilla if he ever considered wearing shoes.

Nike’s renowned ad agency, Wieden & Kennedy, particularly Warren Eakins and Steve Sandoz, first came up with the concept of pitting the famous athlete against Toho’s atomic titan, and they commissioned Industrial Light and Magic (ILM), Hollywood’s greatest sfx studio, to produce the special effects for the commercial.

Their Godzilla suit and city miniatures were excellent, and very faithful to the Toho design of the evil version of Godzilla, although the costume was nowhere near as durable as its Toho counterpart (it didn’t have to be for such a short filming period). However, in order to ease the sfx crew in facilitating the accuracy of detail on the city miniatures, Godzilla was given his original Showa Series height of 50 meters, rather than his 100 meter movie height in 1992. The spot was directed by Michael Owens and produced by John Adams.

The commercial was a big hit, the G-fans were pleased, and even a sequel was written and planned for 1994, which would have pitted Charles Barkley and David Robinson against Godzilla and Mechagodzilla. However, due to the projected high cost of such a venture, the sequel idea was abandoned, apparently for good.

A one-shot comic book issued by Dark Horse Comics was based on the commercial, and a very detailed description of every production aspect of Nike's unique contribution to TV advertisement history can be read in JAPANESE GIANTS #8.

CBR:
I Love Ya But You’re Strange – That Time Charles Barkley Played Basketball Against Godzilla
Brian Cronin wrote:Every week, I will spotlight strange but ultimately endearing comic stories (basically, we’re talking lots and lots of Silver Age comic books). Here is the archive of all the installments of this feature. Feel free to e-mail me at bcronin@comicbookresources.com if you have a suggestion for a future installment!

Today, based on a suggestion from reader Brendan M., we take a look at one of the few comic book one-shots that was based on a commercial, Dark Horse’s 1993 comic book Charles Barkley versus Godzilla #1!

In 1992, Nike debuted a very popular television commercial featuring then-NBA superstar Charles Barkley playing basketball against Godzilla in the streets of Tokyo. A year later, the ad campaign was adapted into a one-shot comic from Dark Horse Comics, written by Mike Baron (with plot by “Alan Smithee,” a pseudonym people use when they are trying to take their credit off of a project) with art by Jeff Butler and Keith Aiken.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Godzilla comics...????

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:09 pm

Comics Alliance:
Best Art Ever (This Week): Godzilla, Zatanna, Usagi Yojimbo, Star-Lord, Kill Bill, Daenerys & More

“Godzilla: Highway Robbery" by Chris Pyrate
Chris Pyrate wrote:Here’s something I sketched up a while back in anticipation for Godzilla 2014. Also celebrating a my most recent Toho binge.

Doubles as a little practice for an upcoming gig I have in collaboration w/ thirdeyecomics too. So yeah, Kaiju will be a constant theme in some of my work-for-hire pieces to come.

PS: I started this drawing while stuck in crazy traffic behind an 18 wheeler… #makingthebestoutofeverything
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Kaiju comics...????

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:45 pm

MEGAGOGO: New Comic for the Power Rangers, Pacific Rim Fan
Lan Pitts wrote:
With last year's Pacific Rim giving kaiju battle movies a breath of fresh air and the Power Rangers franchise turning 20, writer/artist Wook Jin Clark is taking influences from old school anime , kaiju monsters, and the Super Sentai series and giving it a Southern-fried flavor with Oni Press's Megagogo.

With giant robots and space aliens running amok in modern day Atlanta, Clark explores the world where battles between the two forces are now part of everyday life, and the history of their decades-long fued. Newsarama sat down with Clark and talked about Megagogo, his inspirations behind the project, and what lies ahead in his career.

Nrama: Before we talking about the comic itself, can you tell us some of the influences for Megagogo? It definitely has a Osamu Tezuka vibe to me.

Clark:
Oh yeah, totally! I love Astro Boy and the main character in Megagogo is somewhat of an homage to him. Other than that I’ve always really been influenced by manga and cartoons especially ones with giant robots, monsters. Power Rangers/Kamen Rider are probably the biggest things that influence my work, steming from childhood obsessions with them. I kinda just wanted to make something that not only me now, but me as a kid would lose his s--- over!

I was forbidden to read comics in house growing up except for what was at the grocery store, which meant only Archie or Ninja Turtle comics. So with that being said, I turned to cartoons. Shows like Ronin Warriors, Tenchi Muyo, and <>Dragonball shaped a lot of the stories I want to create. I enjoy the funny/action shows with a bit of slapstick and a bit of romance on the side.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:54 pm

i forgot all about that! i'll be sure to pick up a copy.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:50 am

Godzilla Meets Devil Dinosaur!
Today, we reprint our guest post from Diversions of the Groovy Kind in April, 2012.

In Godzilla #22, Godzilla joins forces with Jack Kirby’s Devil Dinosaur and his pal Moon Boy. In the previous issue, Devil and Godzilla met, tussled, and became friends. This issue, dated May 1979, hit the stands five months after the end of Devil Dinosaur’s short-lived series. Author Doug Moench clearly needed more Devil Dinosaur – and who doesn’t?
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:43 am

God-Zine-La
od-Zine-La is a full colour, 72 page zine dedicated to the most famous kaiju of them all - Godzilla along with his colourful rogue's gallery.

Each page features a piece of original artwork by some top
illustrators and comic makers. We even have a piece of
artwork submitted by Godzilla 2014 director Gareth Edwards.

PREORDERS WILL SUPPORT THE FIRST PRINT RUN. GOD-ZINE-LA will be dispatched in late April!

(Artwork in the preview by [http://ink-imp.blogspot.com/p/illustration.html]Carlos Nicolas Zamudio[/url] and Clarice Woon.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Previous

Return to Godzilla in Print