Godzilla comics...????

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla: Gangsters & Goliaths #1

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:10 am

IDW Publishing Solicitations for June, 2011
Godzilla: Gangsters & Goliaths #1 (of 5)
John Layman (w) • Alberto Ponticelli (a) • Geof Darrow, Alberto Ponticelli (c)

Detective Makoto Sato is on an unrelenting quest to bring down the Takahashi crime syndicate. Sato's efforts earn him a one-way trip to a tropical getaway, courtesy of the Tokyo criminal underworld. The exotic locale? MONSTER ISLAND! Alone and facing death at the hands of both gangsters and goliaths, Sato must use his wits to survive—and enlist the aid of some most unusual friends. Join superstar creators John Layman (Chew) and Alberto Ponticelli (Unknown Soldier) for this unusual and exciting miniseries!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99
*2 regular covers will be shipped in a 4-to-1 ratio (4 Geof Darrow, 1 Alberto Ponticelli cover)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=31350
Last edited by mr.negativity on Tue May 17, 2011 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Godzilla: Gangsters and Goliaths

Postby mr.negativity » Tue May 17, 2011 4:18 am

From CBR:
Layman Talks "Godzilla: Gangsters and Goliaths"
Shaun Manning wrote:Because one monster rampage is never enough, IDW Publishing is set to follow up its ongoing series "Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters" with the five-issue miniseries "Gangsters and Goliaths." From the minds of Eisner Award-winning writer John Layman and Eisner-nominated artist Alberto Ponticelli, the mini blends elements of Asian cinema, mafia action and of course Toho monsters, as it finds one Detective Makoto Sato fighting alone to bring down the Tokyo underworld while struggling to survive the behemoths of Monster Island.

With the first issue set to crash into comic shops in June, CBR News caught up with Layman, best known as the writer and co-creator with Rob Guillory of "Chew," about "Godzilla: Gangsters and Goliaths" and whatever else he might have up his sleeve.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

GODZILLA:THE HALF CENTURY WAR" by James Stokoe

Postby mr.negativity » Tue May 22, 2012 1:27 am

From Ghetto Manga.com
PREVIEW- "GODZILLA:THE HALF CENTURY WAR" by James Stokoe

samax amen wrote:For all the James Stokoe fans out there, I just got a few pages from his upcoming IDW Godzilla comic, The Half Century War, as well as some pages from his creator-owned book, Orc Stain, which has slowed down lately. At least now I know why...

"Godzilla is something that has been near and dear to me since I was about 5 years old," Stokoe confessed on his blog "so this a dream come true for me." The 5-issue miniseries drops in August, and I expect it to be 5 issues of pure destruction in the Mighty Marvel Stokoe Manner! "Godzilla: The Half Century War is about a group of soldiers who have to test experimental weapons on Godzilla." he explains "Each issue takes place a decade after the last, all over the world, so I get to play with Godzilla through the ages. I promise Mothra hippies, drill tanks, and a proper monster showdown in Antarctica."

I knew this was the perfect project for Stokes after seeing this Godzilla World War G short he drew back in the day, just for kicks. Anyone who has ever tried to draw comics (even way less detailed than this) can cosign on my theory that this dude is some kind of evil genius. Thankfully rather than destroying us all, he limits himself to creating worlds on paper, and destroying THEM instead.

Anyways, in case this Godzilla story and the limited edition baseball horror hardcover Sullivan's Sluggers that's he's currently Kickstarting with Mark Andrew Smith had you afraid that Stokes was totally abandoning his creator-owned monster epic Orc Stain, here's some pages to tide you over.

Yeah, you're welcome. Anyways, I have my OWN drawing to do, so I best get to it before looking at these pages makes me fall on my sword or something!

From Stokoe's blog:
Only Masers Can Keep Us Apart
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:51 am

From CS:
Comic-Con: The Full Schedule for Friday, July 13
11:00-12:00 Spotlight on Herb Trimpe— Comic-Con special guest Herb Trimpe carved out his own legendary place in the Marvel Universe starting in the 1960s. His incredible work on the Incredible Hulk, along with his other art on series such as G.I. Joe, Transformers, Godzilla, and many more, have made him a fan-favorite artist. Trimpe talks about his career in this special spotlight panel. Room 32AB
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby RaymondBurr » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:30 am

mr.negativity wrote:From CS:
Comic-Con: The Full Schedule for Friday, July 13
11:00-12:00 Spotlight on Herb Trimpe— Comic-Con special guest Herb Trimpe carved out his own legendary place in the Marvel Universe starting in the 1960s. His incredible work on the Incredible Hulk, along with his other art on series such as G.I. Joe, Transformers, Godzilla, and many more, have made him a fan-favorite artist. Trimpe talks about his career in this special spotlight panel. Room 32AB

AW MAN! That would be a great panel to go to! ... the West Coast is so .. far.. away.
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters Dark Horse Comics Special #1

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:11 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters Dark Horse Comics Special

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:40 pm

Out of all the great Godzilla soundtracks out there the creator of this could have chosen, he decides to use Hattori's score from G2000? :?: :!: Oookaaayyy...
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:28 am

IDW December release info:
GODZILLA #8

Duane Swierczynski (w), Simon Gane (a), E.J. Su (c).

Boxer is cornered by the government and Godzilla is a giant sized X-factor, wrecking everyone's plans. Sides are switched, lives are lost... and then the unthinkable happens. The devastating third act of this Godzilla epic begins now!

32 pages, $3.99.

GODZILLA: HALF CENTURY WAR #4

James Stokoe (w & a & c)

New technologies and new recruits lead the AMF now, while Ota and Kentaro are stuck watching. But when a new threat comes to town from space, technology and young blood mean nothing. Will the grizzled vets be able to save the day?

32 pages, $3.99.

Every synopsis of G:HCW is the most interesting thing in the world to me when I read it.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:40 am

YOU JUST RUINED EVERYTHING.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:58 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:YOU JUST RUINED EVERYTHING.

lies.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:03 pm

I want to be surprised. YOU JUST DESTROYED MY UNIVERSE.

But seriously, that sounds good. All the tidbits of info people have been putting are really getting me into the new series (series'?). I admit the impact of the ongoing is less than spectacular, but after re-reading KOM I'm happy where it's heading for the time being.

I don't know what else to say about HCW other than it's great, and I like what I'm hearing.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:10 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:I want to be surprised. YOU JUST DESTROYED MY UNIVERSE.

Oh, firstly...EXCELLENT.
Secondly, I thought the descriptions were still pretty vague. I think you'd discern more from the covers if you see those.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Yeah, it was vague enough. My fake internet anger could use some work.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:27 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:Yeah, it was vague enough. My fake internet anger could use some work.

Fake internet anger just..I can't tell anymore. Nobody stops using hyperbole, and you can't read people via the internet. It just seems like everyone is in a constant state of rage. :lol:
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:34 pm

Well just to clarify, when I use all caps it's pretty much all sarcasm. At the risk of derailing the discussion, I haven't seen anything/anyone that are offensive in any way.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:43 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:Well just to clarify, when I use all caps it's pretty much all sarcasm. At the risk of derailing the discussion, I haven't seen anything/anyone that are offensive in any way.

Aight. Back on topic...I wonder if the finale will be a Destroy All Monsters thing or a Meltdown story ala Godzilla vs. Destroyah.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:58 am

For which do you mean; the ongoing or HCW?
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:05 am

The Real McCoy wrote:For which do you mean; the ongoing or HCW?

HCW, just because I feel like those are the only two appropriate finales.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:15 am

The Destroy All Monsters-type ending sounds a little more...practical, I guess. I personally would think that the meltdown would be a little too extreme, though I may change my mind as the series progresses. Right now they seem to be pretty well grounded in reality, and a meltdown just seems a little over-the-top.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:27 am

So far it seems like everybody just wants to put the hero in control of a Mechagodzilla (G&G, L4, KoM... not the ongoing... yet) and bang it out with the big G. So i would expect that for issue 5 as well.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:33 am

I kind of suspect that new technology mention for Issue 4 may be MechaGodzilla.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:47 am

WHOA WHOA WHOA SPOILERS!!! You ruined HCW!
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:06 pm

klen7 wrote:WHOA WHOA WHOA SPOILERS!!! You ruined HCW!

IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE SPOILERS GIT OUT OF DA THREAD.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:22 pm

Actually my money is that the new technology in issue 4 will be Mogera.... in issue 2 you meet the team scientist... with an obsession for drills... also this fits more with a SpaceGodzilla issue
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Godzilla in Print