Godzilla comics...????

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla comics...????

Postby ironhed577 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:33 am

Does anyone know if Darkhorse still owns the rights to the Godzilla comics? Or who exactly does own the rights anymore?
ironhed577
Godzilla Egg

Re: Godzilla comics...????

Postby bunnyhero » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:03 am

ironhed577 wrote:Does anyone know if Darkhorse still owns the rights to the Godzilla comics? Or who exactly does own the rights anymore?

i do know that dark horse no longer has the rights... that's about all i know.
bunnyhero
Godzilla

Postby dredlyn » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:02 pm

Hey Ironhed!

Darkhorse (Randley Stradley,in particular,also a BIG Godzilla fan)has stated that the G comics,while a fanboy dream of his,didn't make enough $ to justify the huge amount of fees required by Toho to keep doing it.

Don Hillsman II/DH2!/Dredlyn
dredlyn
Baby Godzilla

Postby ironhed577 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:32 pm

Hey Ironhed!

Darkhorse (Randley Stradley,in particular,also a BIG Godzilla fan)has stated that the G comics,while a fanboy dream of his,didn't make enough $ to justify the huge amount of fees required by Toho to keep doing it.

Hey Dredlyn,

Long time no speak. Thanks for the info. Yeah I know I just spoke to Scott Allie up at Darkhorse and he pretty much told me the same thing. It really sucks cause it would be great to have a G book to coincide with the Final Wars movie and toys. I've got a couple of more q's I want to ask you so I'll e-mail you. Thanks.
ironhed577
Godzilla Egg

World War G

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:28 pm

From Newsarama 07 January 2010:
Writer/Artist Takes On Fantasy Tropes in Image's ORC STAIN

[quote]Nrama:
Has there been any progress on the “Godzillaâ€
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:42 am

That's pretty good art actually...doubt it will go anywhere but pretty interesting all the same
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:16 pm

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:24 am

Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Pkmatrix » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:04 am

It's sad that nobody will touch the license now, I loved the Dark Horse comics back when I was a kid and really enjoyed the Marvel series when I later discovered it. Ah well... maybe the LP film will reignite interest in a Goji comic?
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:15 am

Pkmatrix wrote:It's sad that nobody will touch the license now, I loved the Dark Horse comics back when I was a kid and really enjoyed the Marvel series when I later discovered it. Ah well... maybe the LP film will reignite interest in a Goji comic?

More than likely. I expect somebody will at least do a movie adaptation comic if nothing else and while that's going on we may see a miniseries or two unrelated.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Layman and Ponticelli's IDW Godzilla Miniseries

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:06 am

Multiversity Comics Presents: John Layman
David Harper wrote:Do you mind if we talk about a different project besides Chew to start?

Layman:
Sure.

Apparently you're writing a Godzilla mini-series with Alberto Ponticelli on art and Geof Darrow on covers.

Layman:
Yeahhhh (excitedly).

I have to say, as someone who grew up watching Godzilla movies and is a fan of Chew, Unknown Soldier and Geof Darrow in general, that sounds like the best thing in the world.

Layman:
You can't find a lot of it, because it hasn't been officially announced. Chris Ryall twittered about it and mentioned it in a CBR costume. It's not officially out there, but we're doing it and that's the team. Ryall asked me one day, because we worked together on Scarface, which was a blast, and people always credit Puffed but I think it was Scarface where I found my Chew voice. I think it was one of my favorite books ever but no one bought it.

Chris Ryall and I had a really good time and he was like "do you like Godzilla?" And I said yeah. Then he said "keep this on the down low, but we're doing some Godzilla stuff. Do you want to pitch it?" And I just had an idea that was there. So literally the next day by 11 - I got up early in the morning and just pounded out this pretty involved pitch and it was on his doorstep first thing in the morning - which for an editor 11 is first thing in the morning.

So he was pretty shocked, but then we had to go through some gyrations with Toho and they came back and said it was too violent. I was like "this is Godzilla, right?" (laughs)

It didn't fundamentally change the story. We just kind of altered it and it kind of made it for the better. I'm a huge fan of Asian cinema. I love monster movies too, but I also love Asian cop movies. I wanted to pitch something that was half Oldboy, half monster movie.

Nice! (laughter)

Layman:
So I've got this framed cop whose partner had been killed. Just one of these stubborn, Asian Dirty Harry's who won't stop no matter...even if all the other cops are corrupt and his name gets smeared and his partner gets killed and it's basically him vs. the mob and the Yakuza and whatever.

He gets ahold of the Mothra twins and basically makes them make Mothra do his bidding.

YES! (laughter)

Layman:
So it's half Asian gangster movie, half monster movie. So that's exciting, and then they told me Geof Darrow was on covers and I just flipped. And the Ponticelli art is beyond gorgeous.

I've actually been working on Godzilla #3 today even though I should be working on because I'm just so jazzed about it. (laughter)

Has Chris indicated as to when this would be coming out?

Layman:
Summer. If it's not my own book, I don't pay too close of attention to when it comes out. The glorious thing about company owned work is it's not my headache...it's Chris'...or Bobby Curnow who is the editor.

I enjoy not worrying about that "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!". (laughter) I just get my scripts in. Get what notes come in, which have been pretty minimal.

I also asked to letter it, because I love lettering my own stuff. So I get pages in and I letter it up and it's flippin' fantastic.

David Harper wrote:Circle of Confusion is putting together the Chew TV show, and they're the ones that put together The Walking Dead. You said there's been some forward movement with it. What's the status of the Chew TV show?

Layman:
Well...it's not real yet.

Circle of Confusion is doing what they did with The Walking Dead, as they're putting together a team and then they took it to a network. And then they sold it.

People have been like "oh man, are you spending that money yet?" And I'm like "there's no money yet." (laughter)

Supposedly this makes it happen easier and it gives you better control over it. It was announced at SDCC that we've got Stephen Hopkins onboard, who did the first season of 24 and Californication and a really big movie resume, but his TV shows in recent years have gotten a lot of acclaim. So he's onboard, but what we haven't announced and can't is that we have a writing team now, from a "popular show" that has been on the air for many seasons. They were working on a pilot script, and then the thing I was referring to is we actually got the pilot script.

Rob read it and I should have read it by now, but I've been sort of eyes on the prize trying to finish this issue of Godzilla. I can only focus on one thing at a time.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:21 am

Wow, that Mothra idea is unique, to say the least.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Legion » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:23 am

Eh...am I awful for not giving a crap about this comic?
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:28 am

Legion wrote:Eh...am I awful for not giving a crap about this comic?

OF COURSE YOU ARE!
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Legion » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:29 am

Yeah, this is the worst thing I've done since I said "nutsack" in front of grandma. I should be ashamed of myself.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:32 am

Legion wrote:Yeah, this is the worst thing I've done since I said "nutsack" in front of grandma. I should be ashamed of myself.

:lol: Well, in all seriousness, it's fine to not give a crap about the comic. I mean honestly, we have had little to be amazed with in Godzilla comics.

At the same time, I feel like this is an incredibly unique situation that could end up producing some worthwhile stories or new means of looking at old favorite characters. This use of Mothra is one example of that.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:59 pm

It sounds very funny - mean, not in a "haha" way, but in a toungue-in-cheek Robocop kinda way.

Ya know?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby walshiam » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Legion wrote:Eh...am I awful for not giving a crap about this comic?

You're not alone but only because I'm not a comics fan. At least it will broaden Godzilla's fan base.
walshiam
Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Well I know I grew a lot more excited when they said the format was going to be a series of separate, out-of-continuity stories. The vast array of possibilities...!
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:26 pm

GODZILLA! IIIIN! SPAAAAAAACE!

C'mon, you know you wanna see it. :wink:
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:05 pm

planetxleader wrote:GODZILLA! IIIIN! SPAAAAAAACE!

kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:32 am

Alberto Ponticelli's Godzilla:
BLOODBUSTER
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:28 am

mr.negativity wrote:Alberto Ponticelli's Godzilla:
BLOODBUSTER

I seriously doubt that this is how his Godzilla will look in the final comic, given that it was posted in 2008 and that doesn't look like a design that Toho would EVER approve for a variety of reasons.
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Legion » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:11 am

That thing is fugly.

Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:50 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:
planetxleader wrote:GODZILLA! IIIIN! SPAAAAAAACE!

See? Even Godzilla wants to go back.
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Next

Return to Godzilla in Print