Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #25 - Reaction Thread

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #25 - Reaction Thread

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:25 am

Oh yeah, lost in the shadows of Godzilla In Hell, Godzilla: Rulers of Earth's finale is out soon:

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2015 ... e-preview/

I have to be honest, while I've enjoyed this series for the most part and appreciate the hard work Mowry, Frank, and Zornow have done in trying to prop up the ongoing series while being handcuffed due to forcing ROE to be tied to the same continuity as the Powell/Marsh garbage left behind from KOM, I think it's definitely time to end this series as it ran out of steam quite a long time ago. On the "other" board, this particular book is basically worshipped like the "greatest comic eva!" with little/no real critical thought or discussion of it, but I think it's high time for IDW to come up something completely new and separate from this timeline for future ongoing series (or hell, I would take 1 or 2 good minis a year in lieu of an ongoing if they're as good as HCW, G&G, and GLegends).

In the end, gotta give props to them for bringing in the likes of Gorosaurus, Kamoebas, Gezora, the Gargantuas, and other lesser utilized kaiju into the fold (hope to see these lesser utilized kaiju appear in future minis as well). Now that Frank and Zornow have added this comic series to their resume, I hope to seem them get more Godzilla-related work on future titles down the road....

Anyways, post your thoughts!
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Re: Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #25 - Reaction Thread

Postby klen7 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:06 am

I've not really been into the Trilopod arc as much as the series leading into it, but the series has still been fun.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:20 am

Review is up at TK:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/idw_g ... th_25.html

The last issue for Godzilla: Rulers of Earth, taking with it a record for the longest running title on Godzilla in terms of number of issues. While Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #24 placed some of the focus on the human element, this one makes an effort to place the monster action front and center. With an extra 20 pages, there is a lot of monster battles in this issue.. a lot. While there are some great moments, it is held back a little by the art, which ranges from stellar to disappointing.

In terms of the story, the issue begins with Godzilla facing off against a legion of Trilopods. The King of the Monsters is outnumbered, but help is on the way. Joined by Kiryu and Moguera following an air bombardment, the three battle the Trilopods. Meanwhile, inside the pods, King Caesar begins to rampage, breaking himself free and rescuing the other monsters there. On the outside, the Trilopods gain the upper hand, overpowering Godzilla and the two mechs as Godzilla makes a large battle cry...

Chris Mowry is known for his popcorn entertainment, and this issue showcases that pretty well, being almost non-stop monster fights. The comic shifts from battle to battle and is constantly raising the stakes while introducing more combatants. The issue does a pretty good job of being a climax to the series, wrapping up the Cryog's invasion efforts while also showcasing a giant melee between Earth's forces and the Trilopods. The issue makes use of the large roster of monsters that IDW has licensed at this point. The way it even spells out Kameobas, who has been a relative no-show up to this point, got a chuckle out of me as well. To give Mowry additional credit, the narrative feels fresh as well, not like its overly relinate on past plot beats from the films and avoiding what some of the mini-series suffered from: needlessly giving the story an inflated roster.

Now if you want to avoid spoilers, this is a good time to stop reading. That said, the issue introduces another new monster, the Magita: a giant Trilopod. It acts as the comic's big bad and gives the various monsters a run for their money. Sadly there are two things about the ending which could have been better, both of which are massive spoilers so will mention again it might be a good time to stop reading. That out of the way, the comic features the death of Steven Woods, who has been the main character of the series. The problem is the structure here is unclear, Woods suddenly appears injured inside the pod and sacrifices himself for Lucy and crew. There is no build up to this, and to make matters even more confusing is that he shows up at the end of the book, says a line and then dies in a silent panel. They could have at least given him a proper farewell, maybe a line about taking care of Allie from the Kingdom of Monsters series or something.

The other concern is how the big bad Magita is dispatched. The creature bests the combined forces of the other kaiju, leaving Godzilla to fend the Magita off. The King of the Monsters does this through a super charged Spiral Fire ray. It feels... kind of anti-climatic. Like there should have been a more creative send-off for the new monster.

In terms of the art, this is sadly where the issue falters a bit. It's a split art job by Matt Frank and Jeff Zornow, although Zornow does a majority of the artwork. Now Zornow does some nice covers, but I'm not his biggest fan at this stage of his interior comic art. This issue is not one of his stronger efforts either... that goes for both Zornow and Frank, though. I'm going to hazard a guess that the expanded art duties, with the larger page count, taxed both artists as the normal high quality work, in particular from Frank, lacks in its normal consistency. The Cryog aliens are a great example of this, usually looking stellar in earlier issues, or a goofy face shot of King Caesar as a he rips a Trilopod's arm off during the climax. That said, there are some impressive panels as well, like the scene of Titanosaurus and the Trilopod Titanosaurus exchanging wind gusts, or the shot of Zilla appearing for the first time. Another issue is the sometimes awkward art transitions between the two artists. Sometimes it's seamless, other times it overtly obvious, with the lines and colors going from dark tones to a very light and vibrant array with less line work.

Overall, I enjoyed this issue, although there are better in the series. It makes good use of Mowry's talent for writing popcorn entertainment battles. Sadly, those battles do depend on solid art to really sell them, and this issue falls a little short here when it could have helped to hit it out of the park.

As a side note, the final page of this issue is loaded with references to past Toho films. This includes the Super-X from The Return of Godzilla (1984) and a blink and you will miss it shot of the Oxygen Destroyer from Godzilla (1954). Arguably the most interesting of these Easter Eggs, though, is a shot of the Gotengo... or at least it looks like a Gotengo, although it doesn't share the exact design for any of them. It actually most resembles the Ra from Super Atragon (1995).

In closing, it's been 25 issues... a historic run on the character and the comic series has really sparked with some creative match ups and uses for the large roster of Toho kaiju. Hopefully we get to see some of these characters again soon, as IDW prepares their next Godzilla series, Godzilla Into Hell, by James Stokoe who did the phenomenal Godzilla: The Half-Century War series.

Finally, thanks also goes out to artist Matt Frank for the shout out to Chris Mirjahangir in the closing of the comic.
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:35 pm

Did anyone else feel like some of the pages were cropping off part of the image at the bottom of some of the pages? There are at least 2 panels that look like a mistake in that respect
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:30 pm

It kinda stinks that they're ending this. I mean, I thought they carried the Cryog thing on too long, but the style was really enjoyable. Oh well, interested in what comes next.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:01 pm

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: On the "other" board, this particular book is basically worshipped like the "greatest comic eva!" with little/no real critical thought or discussion of it

I haven't been on that site in a while, but I thought your post of one of their Admins review was pretty well thought out. And while it is far from the best comic ever, I'd say it was definitely the best Godzilla comic ever. Sure several of the minis had great art, and fresh ideas, but the regularity with which Rulers of Earth delivered was what kept me going. Oddly enough, the introduction of the Trilopods I felt was the series low point, but it was still entertaining. The only thing I question is... I wonder if this series went 25 issues simply for the sake of saying it was the "longest running" Godzilla comic to date. I mean it only beat the Marvel comic by one issue. If they had kept the original "KOM" title, this would have been issue #50. But oh well, I am no comics marketing expert. I have been mostly faithful to IDW's Transformers since they picked up the license at the end of 2006. Their original Transformer "continuity" exceeds 250 issues, but the series has been renamed and rebranded 5 or 6 times in the nearly 10 years of IDW's run, thus its dual running titles are both only at issue #43 currently.

But with another mini series on the way, I am glad we still have something Godzilla in print, 1-2 mini series a year might not be a bad thing, but there is something to be said for an ongoing, where you don't have to constantly keep reassembling development teams, but then there is the constant pressure of offering something each month.
Film Wish List:1. Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening/closing credits
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:22 pm

I finally got ahold of the last two issues of Rulers of Earth and the other IDW Godzilla comics I've missed so far (my local comic shop closed down last year). I've really enjoyed this series. I feel like the creative team hit a really good stride that kept their ongoing series interesting for two full years while still managing to make individual issues and mini-sagas unique unto themselves. It's a tricky balance to strike while also making an effort to give as many different kaiju and mecha characters their time in the spotlight as possible, and Rulers of Earth pulled all of that off really well.

This was a solid final issue for the series, a stylish bonanza of well-coordinated, well-structured action beats brought to life with fantastic artwork. Godzilla, King Seesar, Jet Jaguar, Zilla, and Gigan play the biggest parts in the story but every monster that appears gets at least one moment to shine. The story's resolution is pretty corny and predictable...
Spoiler Below:
Godzilla summons the usual "ultimate power from within" in the form orange atomic breath like in the last three Heisei films and Final Wars, and Woods just ended up as another walking action cliche complete with gratuitous self-sacrifice, but at least he didn't decide to just feed himself to Godzilla the way Boxer did at the end of the previous ongoing.
...but whatever. I don't think it's a bad thing that Rulers of Earth didn't reinvent any wheels from a storytelling standpoint. This series did its thing really nicely and I'm glad that Bobby Curnow, Chris Mowry, Matt Frank, Jeff Zornow, Priscilla Tramontano and the rest of the folks that worked to make these 25 issues put such effort into the whole thing.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Return to Godzilla in Print