Godzilla-New century special effects movie MOOK

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla-New century special effects movie MOOK

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:57 pm

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%88%A5%E5%86 ... 4800305632

The release date listed is 12/11/2014.

2014 is nearly over, yet it still continues to be one of more epic years in terms of new G books 8)
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Re: Godzilla-New century special effects movie MOOK

Postby klen7 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:34 pm

Interesting! Its from the same publisher that brought us the All Toho Monster Encyclopedia MOOK earlier this year that turned out to be really strong. Please hit us with a review for this one. I'm on the fence since it seems to focus on Millennium and there isnt a page count listed.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:12 am

klen7 wrote:Interesting! Its from the same publisher that brought us the All Toho Monster Encyclopedia MOOK earlier this year that turned out to be really strong. Please hit us with a review for this one. I'm on the fence since it seems to focus on Millennium and there isnt a page count listed.

Yeah, Yosensha has put out some really fine books lately (they've actually outdone Shogakukan the past few years). Unlike most G books which generally just a broad summary of the entire series (and most of them are very well done), the Yosensha tend to be more unique and cover specific areas.

If you liked the All TOHO Encylcopedia MOOK, I highly recommend the other MOOK they released called "Shodai Godzilla", with has some of the most extensive coverage ever on the original film (why it has been so overlooked is beyond me):

Yosensha also released an updated edition of their TOHO Godzilla Girls MOOK with some new interviews:

And they released a MOOK celebrating Mothra's 50th anniversary awhile back:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:59 am

I'd like to get that Shodai Godzilla mook and i had never heard of the Mothra one, so I might have to track that down as well. Any chance there's a good Rodan book out there?
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:29 am

^I'll post a few stills of the Shodai Godzilla book sometime.

Well, I went to book store and thumbed through it, and it was utterly disappointing. :( Bummer. Basically, an entire section was devoted to the Millenium series (with very few interesting stills/photos, a big departure from Yosensha's other Mooks), while the next section of the book was dedicated to SFX Hollywood films like Transformers, Jurassic Park, and Pacific Rim....Lame :roll: Oh well, in a year of mostly excellent book releases, you can't win 'em all. I like the unique books/mooks that Yosensha has given us over the last 2 years, but this was their first big "miss" and an easy pass.

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:10 am

Thanks for the updates. Sounds like a pass for me as well.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Return to Godzilla in Print