[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Yuji Kaida: Godzilla Illustrations (Artbook 2014) • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Yuji Kaida: Godzilla Illustrations (Artbook 2014)

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Yuji Kaida: Godzilla Illustrations (Artbook 2014)

Postby klen7 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:49 pm

I got the new artbook from Yuji Kaida... this is the second artbook i have from him but this one focuses on Godzilla and Toho where the other one had Zoids and Gamera and other fanciful creatures and robots.

There are some really nice things about this book, but at the same time the editing/layout is sometimes infuriatingly bad.

One nice feature that is absent from almost every Japanese artbook, is that there is english and japanese on almost everything, so each image has the painting title in english, which is pretty cool. There is a multipage interview with Kaida, but its entirely in Japanese
ImageImage

There is a 5 page "making of" that shows the entire process of how he creates his pieces

The Good: Yuji Kaida's artwork

The Bad:
There are an inexcusable number of pieces that are ruined by being presented across the spine and are pulled in so the cant be seen...

The GMK Godzilla image could be presented on one page... instead its presented across the spine with large background on either side wtf.

Overall the content is the best i have seen for a Yuji Kaida Godzilla book, but the layout is incredibly annoying. There are many more examples than what i showed above, i seriously don't know how an editor could have signed off on it :?
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Yuji Kaida: Godzilla Illustrations (Artbook 2014)

Postby mbozzo » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:52 pm

I seen the pictures from that book, and wish that there's an American version of it. :oops:
mbozzo
Godzilla

Re: Yuji Kaida: Godzilla Illustrations (Artbook 2014)

Postby Mac » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:07 pm

Was going to pick this up, but thankfully stumbled onto this thread. You're right klen, horrible layouts. Going to pick up a Ohrai collection instead.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Return to Godzilla in Print