Godzilla Cataclysm #1 Reaction Thread

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla Cataclysm #1 Reaction Thread

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:04 pm

Post your thoughts here.

5 page preview is here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... w&id=22970
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Re: Godzilla Cataclysm #1 Reaction Thread

Postby klen7 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:19 pm

Picked this up today. It is refreshingly different than everything we have seen so far (which is what i hope for from the minis)

I am very interested to see where its going.

I love the art and coloring, it really sets the tone instead of the Saturday morning cartoon colors we have been seeing a lot of.

There is also a monster we havent really seen in the IDW comics yet and i was very pleased with it's handling
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Jorzilla » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:59 pm

I enjoyed this one as well. Good on the creator for actually spending some time on the characters instead of throwing monsters on the pages immediately. Being a 5 issue run, however, it seems kind of like a waste.
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:19 am

Review from TK:
http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/idw_g ... sm_01.html

The fourth Godzilla mini-series from IDW Publishing, and the first one released after the landmark 2012 mini-series Godzilla: The Half Century War, Godzilla: Cataclysm is off to a promising start. It offers something slightly new with a post apocalyptic setting, while the art is generally solid.

For the story, its been almost twenty years since a global kaiju assault wiped out most of civilization. The survivors are holed up in camps constructed from rubble. The kaiju themselves have vanished in the two decade span that followed the original devastation. Arata and Shiori, two younger boys living in one camp, are preparing to go into Tokyo to scavenge with others. Arata's grandfather warns them to stay behind, telling them something doesn't feel right, but the advice is ignored as the boys venture to the destroyed city...

The issue spends a few pages to set the scene of the worldwide kaiju assault. This includes a splash screen of Godzilla [Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002) design], Manda [Godzilla: Final Wars (2004) design], Anguirus [Godzilla: Final Wars (2004) design], Mothra [Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2003) design] and King Ghidorah [Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001) design] duking it out. From the get-go, the comic starts with a visual flair as artist Dave Watcher paints the scenes in blood red, giving the sequence an "end of days" feel. This is contrasted nicely with the blue tones as it changes to 20 years later with the grandfather waking. The art is a little uneven, but takes risks and is generally a large strength of the book.

It's too early to say how the story and run as a whole might work, but author Cullen Bunn is off to a nice start. Writer on Venom and Magneto, Cullen has been in the industry for many years working largely at Marvel but also on his own comic The Sixth Gun. Cullen strikes a nice mix of bringing a bit of mystery, asking the question why the kaiju destroyed much of civilization before vanishing, and also starts to build his cast of characters. The strange situation they are in, such as day-to-day tasks of searching rubble to try and find stuff to survive, gives them an interesting angle.

Now I have avoided spoilers, but going to let some fly now. I recommend backing out if you haven't read the book yet. That said, the last third of the book is action packed. The intro to the comic shows the cause of the destruction, the middle shows the result, and the climax places the main characters in danger. The group of scavengers come across a dead bear, and soon find the source: Kamacuras. This marks the first time the insect has appeared in the IDW run. Artist Dave Watcher uses the Godzilla: Final Wars (2004) design, but with his own twist. The mouths are done differently here, and make them look more frightening than their movie counterparts. I'm not going to spoil the very end, but I will say a gruesome fate does befall one of the insects.

In terms of covers, there are four to choose from. The main one by Dave Watcher packs a ton of detail, and the vivid use of color mirrors his work inside the comic as well. The first alternate is one done by Mehdi Cheggour. While there is some artistic license taken with Godzilla, the scene is impressive and has enough going on in the frame to sit and gaze at it as the onlooking survivors watch Godzilla roam in the post apocalyptic city. Next up is a subscription only one by Godzilla regular Bob Eggleton. He showcases Godzilla emerging from underground and a ruined building in the background. Eggleton is always dependable for a great cover, and this is no exception, although it doesn't quite capture the ruined civilization angles of the others as memorably. Finally, there is a Hastings exclusive cover by Brent Peeples. The Hastings exclusive details the mankind in ruins angle, but is the weakest of the three as it depicts a generic looking Godzilla who is lacking in detail.

Overall, a solid issue that has me waiting for more. IDW has a good track record on their mini-series, and Godzilla: Cataclysm looks to follow that trend.

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:25 pm

I really liked it. I loved the art and I really liked the way they used Kamakiras.
This kind of environment is really unique, I mean I think KOM was leaning toward this but...KOM, y'know?
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:24 am

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:03 am

One complains that there wasnt enough Godzilla action, the other complains that there is too much.
:lol:
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby daikaijusaurus » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:09 pm

klen7 wrote:One complains that there wasnt enough Godzilla action, the other complains that there is too much. :lol:

Yeah, people just love to complain :lol:

I for one loved it, I thought it was the perfect comic. Great art, great story and cool monster action. Between this and Rulers of the Earth, looks like we're going to be plenty entertained until Godzilla 2 comes out in 2018.

I do hope that like Rulers of the Earth, that this is a long mini series and that it doesn't end with a few issues.
daikaijusaurus
Godzilla Jr.

Postby klen7 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:18 pm

Come to think of it, i don't recall ever seeing how many issues it was going to run for. It's not an ongoing series, so it will probably clock anything from 4 to 6 issues.

::EDIT:: looks like it is set to run for 5 issues
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:36 pm

I think there's enough Godzilla, especially because of ALL DAT ATMOSPHERE.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Jorzilla » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:36 am

Too many of the Godzilla comics tend to focus on throwing as much action sequences and monsters on the page as possible. Even Half Century War, which is awesome, wrote an entire issue on setting up a 3 way battle between Godzilla, Space Godzilla and Mechagodzilla...That's the kind of set piece I'd like to see a series BUILD UP TO. Not something that's resolved in a few panels and really is just a method to keep the readers attention. My first impression after reading that series was: This was awesome, but each era/series should have been it's own mini-series.

My favorite sequence of Kingdom of Monsters is the final issue showing humans coming to term with the aftermath. The series prior had been pretty action heavy, and it was a nice change of pace, but unfortunately it was at the very end of the series.

Maybe it's just a problem with the comic book format. If they had a series that mirrored a lot of the films, I think it could be well received for that aspect alone.

A small encounter

World building

A mid sized encounter

Human drama

Final LARGE encounter

Human resolution & monster resolution

Instead each issue, even in a larger series seems to be compressed into as much action as possible. Probably due to a belief that if people don't get their fill of monsters in each issue people wont buy the comic.
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Return to Godzilla in Print