Godzilla Rulers Of Earth #14 Reaction Thread

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla Rulers Of Earth #14 Reaction Thread

Postby klen7 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:38 pm

New issue came out earlier this week.

I liked it a lot, kept the pace going strong from the last issue with a story, ends on a wonderful cliffhanger.

Definitely some of the best human work Frank has put out so far... and the monster fight that started under Zornow in the previous issue comes to a dynamically drawn, violent end.

There are some references to KoM events and characters that might alienate new readers, but i think most of whats left of the fandom that is actually reading these has suffered through whatever IDW has put out.

I still love this as a monthly series and I hope it continues to do well...
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Godzilla Rulers Of Earth #14 Reaction Thread

Postby Jorzilla » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:18 pm

I really liked the idea of an army of Mechagodzillas. They are finally doing some cool things with the property rather than just having the same big baddies appear randomly in issues. Kiryu and Showa MG in the same series, awesome. My only other wish is that they somehow get Heisei MG in there as well for a 3-way show down.
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:32 am

A rather late review from TK:

Now the longest running Godzilla series from IDW, issue #14 picks up where Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #13 left off with a fierce battle between Anguirus and the new (aka Showa) Mechagodzilla. While the previous issue was forgettable, this one fires on all cylinders, giving a nice mix of human elements, mystery and plenty of action.

For the story, the comic opens with Anguirus and Mechagodzilla locked in combat. The spiked kaiju is holding up, but is obviously overpowered. After nearly breaking his jaw, Mechagodzilla tosses his opponent and levels his projectiles against him: seemingly killing Anguirus. The personnel on Monster Island, sensing the seismic activity, track down Anguirus, only to discover the badly beaten body...

The comic strikes a nice balance where its not a short read, but moves quickly. The issue teases a few aspects, as things aren't all what they seem, while ending on a huge cliff hanger that makes you thirst for more. Most of my complaints with issue #13 were more than addressed here, making for one of the stronger issues in the run. The battle between Anguirus and Mechagodzilla is excellent. Matt Frank really captures the energy and makes this one of the more exciting battles from IDW so far. While Frank is known for his kaiju, he does a solid job with the humans in this issue as well, in particular Lucy Casprell who has matured a lot since the series started.

As for the covers, there are two to choose from. The stronger of the two is the alternate by Jeff Zornow, who depicts Mechagodzilla blasting away at Anguirus. The use of colors here, while taking some artistic liberties, help to sell it. The main cover by Matt Frank is solid, showing Anguirus getting blasted from a source off panel. However, it lacks oomph and feels more like a panel from the comic than a cover.

Overall, this issue was a pleasant read and restored my faith in the current arc after the previous issue left me feeling tepid about it. Strongly suggested. As a side remark, interesting to see so many elements from Kingdom of Monsters return in this issue, including three characters that I won't spoil here although two of them were seen in the preview.
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:37 pm

Jorzilla wrote:I really liked the idea of an army of Mechagodzillas. They are finally doing some cool things with the property rather than just having the same big baddies appear randomly in issues. Kiryu and Showa MG in the same series, awesome. My only other wish is that they somehow get Heisei MG in there as well for a 3-way show down.

I love the army of MechaGodzillas. We were promised, sort of, something like this back in Legends Issue 3.
TIME TO ARMYBUILDMECHAGODZILLA.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Return to Godzilla in Print