[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Toho Monster Encyclopedia • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Toho Monster Encyclopedia

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Toho Monster Encyclopedia

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:27 am

Never even noticed that G98 was omitted...oh well, at least it saves some potential trees by not wasting any pages on it (still odd though, considering how well comprehensive the Shogakukan Godzilla books have always been in the past). As far as Megaloman goes...

Yup, Megaloman was originally on the cover during solicits awhile back, only to be replaced by an image from Go! UshiWaka Kotaro instead.
Most likely it was something on TOHO's end that caused it to be removed from this book, as Shogakukan is well renowned for how comprehensive their G books are and from early photos of the book's cover, they did indeed intend to cover Megaloman. Like GINO, I'm really indifferent about it being excluded, as the Go! UshiWaka Kotaro seemed like a much more unique and original tokusatsu show....though I wouldn't have minded learning more about Megaloman and any potential elements it might have that are connected to the G films ala Godman, Greenman, Zone Fighter etc.

To be honest, one of the main issues I've always had with the majority of these Tokusatu characters shows made by TOHO, Tsubaraya, etc. is that they're all way too similar to one another and in my opinion, often run together and don't really distinguish themselves from each other or bring anything new/unique to the table (the Justirisers and "Seizar" series in particular look so generic and by the numbers in terms of Tokusatsu shows/characters). They lack a certain charm and soul that Godzilla, Gamera, King Kong, and most daikaiju films in general have (again, this is all just *my opinion*...I have nothing against those who like these characters/shows). As a result, I've always had a hard time getting into shows like Ultraman and Kamen Rider, which were extremely charming and fun in their early years (I like the original Ultraman and Ultra-Seven series quite a bit) to now just commercialized, souless vehicles to sell merchandise. Again, this is just my opinion and why I've never made the so called "natural" cross over from daikaiju films to the tokusatsu genre...
:eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Previous

Return to Godzilla in Print