Godzilla Rulers Of Earth #11 Reaction Thread

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla Rulers Of Earth #11 Reaction Thread

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:23 am

You know the drill.

Review from TK:
http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/idw_g ... th_11.html

Comic: Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #11

Eleven issues in, and the Devonian invasion is slowly starting to kick off. Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #10 was a bit of a welcome detour, but its back to the underwater struggle here. The issue starts off pretty strong, with writer Chris Mowry and artist Matt Frank giving a satisfying battle in France to open, before focusing on the Devonian aspect which is starting to feel a little drawn out.

For the story, the issue opens with Baragon destroying the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. Kiryu lands shortly after, igniting a fierce battle between the two. The mechanical Godzilla is victorious, carrying off the smaller kaiju to their future location of a Monster Island-like chain of islands. Meanwhile, the Devonian have located Godzilla, preparing an assault with their water kaiju against the King of the Monsters. As their attack plan continues, humanity continues to talk with a lone Devonian rebel that begins to reveal the invading forces.

The plot for this issue is action packed, starting off with an issue highlight from Baragon vs. Kiryu before ending in a five-way melee with Godzilla and the water kaiju. The middle is a slight lull, filled in with more backstory on the Devonian. Their invasion is starting to feel a little long in the tooth, since their intentions became clear three issues ago in Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #8 but feels like it has been spinning in place since then. This story does seem to hint at moving that plot along, ending with a cliffhanger that involves their home.

Thankfully, the art makes the issue really work in areas. The Baragon and Kiryu fight is surprisingly intense. The comic debuts the second version of Kiryu, the one seen in Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2003), and Matt Frank draws the creature very faithfully to his movie appearance. Baragon is a little more loose, featuring an almost mix of cat and dog-like eyes, but Frank does a good job walking the line between being faithful and adding his own touch to make the character look a little unique here. The Devonian, as usual, look spot on, as does Godzilla and the water kaiju. The humans are a little inconsistent, being drawn at times where they look to be quite aged and then young in other panels, but nothing too severe.

As for the covers, both are okay this time. The main cover by Matt Frank is more eye catching (pun may or may not be intended), giving a nice image of Godzilla's eye and Destoroyahs all over him. The alternate by Jeff Zornow has Godzilla fighting Gezora, Titanosaurus and Manda. This one is visually appealing, but feels to drown out Godzilla a little and makes the frame feel crowded. Not highlight covers for the series, but both are good, show off aspects that relate to the comic and are different enough to likely create fans of each.

Overall, another issue where the more enjoyable aspect is what amounts to a "plot detour" while the main theme of the Devonian continues to slowly develop. Ultimately, the issue is a fun read, but feels a little forgettable by the end.
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Re: Godzilla Rulers Of Earth #11 Reaction Thread

Postby RaymondBurr » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:27 pm

I tend to find the criticism provided by Toho Kingdom to be frivolous, but in this case, I think they are spot on. Matt Frank's art looks great, but the "plot" is not developing very quickly. As TK states, the Alien Invasion hasn't really "invaded" on any sort of scale. The monster incursions attributable to the Devonians haven't really been devastating to humans, or focused in any particular way. Even with the explanation of their plan in this issue, it still seems a bit muddled or ill conceived. Maybe I just need to read it again.

But! Enough with the grumbling.

The Devonian's impetus for attacking humanity made me think of the Seatopians and their war against the surface world. Very nicely done. And it was great to see Mechagodzilla (Kiryu) flying around on monster strike missions. Honestly would love to see another issue like Mowry's Godzilla: Legends story, with a team of Mechagodzilla pilots hunting down/fending off monsters.

For all the flak Matt Frank gets for his human figures, I've got to say his alien creatures are really outstanding. The Devonians look amazing. Of course, it goes without saying that the monster battles both look great.

A fun read for sure. Now the long wait until next issue!
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:01 am

Yeah, the invasion is moving slowly but the Devonians weren't really all that active until a few issues back when the other aliens were killed. I think it works okay, though especially when coupled with the Kiryu/Baragon fight and the really cool underwater brawl with Godzilla and the undersea creatures.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Pkmatrix » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:53 pm

Just read this issue and, like every other issue of RoE, I loved it. ^_^

Spoiler Below:
It was great seeing Kiryu back and FINALLY acting competent (third time's the charm, I suppose!), although are we supposed to know who that pilot is? I feel like I should know, but I'm drawing a blank.

The conversation between Dr. Allison and the Devonian was fascinating. I like that the Devonians, as a whole, are evoking the Seatopians and this issue provided a lot of backstory for what's been going on. I'm wondering, though, if the military should really be listening to this guy - how far can you trust someone urging you to slaughter his own race? I'll be very interested to see where this storyline is going. I suspect they may just nuke the Devonians entirely, but I think I'd like it more if the heroes went down there, defeated the evil King, and saved them. There's bound to be more than one innocent Devonian who doesn't want this war!

The huge fight at the end was GREAT and surprisingly bloody! :shock: Godzilla really had his hands full and I get the feeling that had the Navy not intervened he might not have made it out of that one alive. :shock:

With the Destroyah army back and the Military now knowing where the Devonians are, I wonder how this story arc is going to wrap up next issue?

P.S.: Have I mentioned how happy I am that this series has had clear story arcs? I don't know where they plan to go after this one ends, although part of me suspects the Cryogs are going to return. 8)
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Fri May 02, 2014 11:25 am

Youtube fan review:

phpBB [media]
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Return to Godzilla in Print