Godzilla Rules Of Earth #10 Reaction Thread

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla Rules Of Earth #10 Reaction Thread

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:50 am

You know the drill folks.

Review is up on TK:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/idw_g ... th_10.html

After the kaiju onslaught with the previous issue, this one returns to basics a little with a more modest selection of monsters... and is better off because of it. The subject is Godzilla and the two title monsters from The War of the Gargantuas (1966) throwing down in Brisbane, Australia. It's popcorn entertainment, but one that excels thanks to an interesting fight with the giant King of the Monsters and two smaller opponents that are brought to life with incredible art from Matt Frank.

In terms of the plot, Godzilla loses track of Titanosaurus, Gezora and Manda. With three having escaped, the King of the Monsters becomes distracted when he sees Sanda and Gaira swimming. Godzilla pursues the pair to Australia and just as the Gargantuas begin to attack each other, Godzilla assaults them causing a melee between all three.

Story wise, the comic is fairly simple. It does have the slight backdrop of preparations for Monster Island, but really is about bringing to life the bout seen on the cover. The Gargantuas are easily Toho's most popular monsters that Godzilla never actually faced, although the idea for Godzilla vs. Gargantua was kicked around. This comic makes that the center piece and has to be my favorite conflict so far in the comic series. While I have my complaints with the issue, such as the human element feeling a bit slow and the time line for the backstory of the Gargantuas being a little confusing, at the end it excels as popcorn entertainment. What makes the battle interesting is the odd relationship between the two brothers Gaira and Sanda. On one hand they care for one another, defending and aiding each other. On the other hand, they are not beyond viciously attacking the other as their philosophies toward humans put them at odds. The two are less yin and yang and more just dissonant, which makes their dynamic interesting.

What sells the popcorn entertainment, though, is Matt Frank's wonderful art. While his humans are inconsistent in this issue, especially Steven Woods who looks drastically different in a few panels, the sequences with the monsters are fantastic. The part where Godzilla rises from the rubble to assault Gaira with his tail, for example, is incredible for its sense of detail. The size difference between Godzilla and the two is also well captured, and spices things up allowing for some creative attacks to come through in the art. Its also nice to see the return of a few fan nods, such as the Saradia fuel truck for Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989).

In terms of the covers, the issue has two solid ones to choose from. The main cover by Matt Frank is a favorite. Even ignoring Sanda and Gaira, the level of detail placed into Godzilla is mesmerizing. It's hard to take your eyes off him as the detail on the mouth and scales are flawless. The pose with the smaller Gargantuas assaulting him, along with the little cabin and horse below that seem to be a nod to Frankenstein vs. Baragon (1965), result in one of the most beautiful covers in the IDW run so far. The alternate cover by Jeff Zornow, while not as breath taking, is also quite stellar. It goes for a water color-like approach that ads a bit of majesty to the rainy battle of the two Gargantuas. Bottom line, both covers are winners for this issue.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable issue even taking into account its faults. While the comic does hint at a few things to come, the meat of it is a fantastic fight between Godzilla, Gaira and Sanda that is both creative and stunning to behold.
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Re: Godzilla Rules Of Earth #10 Reaction Thread

Postby klen7 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:00 pm

Spoiler Below:
Over on the IDW forum someone posted this when it was announced the series was going to continue with Mowry and Frank
Yes!!! I'll will continue to support this series and hope that helps bring us many issues. I love this series and want it to continue.

Then posted this as their reaction to the newest issue
Well that's it for me. The idea that Godzilla the king of the monsters can actually be defeated by simple fire to the face, a cut and a small sonic boom gun is enough for me to stop supporting this series.

The Gargantuas could never win against the king and it was obvious that they were gonna die but out of nowhere the writing team decided that Fire + Cut + Sonic Boom Gun= Godzilla Defeated. That is just stupid and redicules and will not be a part of it.

Plus the final page just makes me mad and even more disappointed.

Now i don't mind a brand new ongoing with a new team

The same user also had previously mentioned when the preview came out that he had never seen the Gargantuans but knew they'd be no contest.

To be fair, i strongly dislike the hand held human weaponry that can stop a kaiju, but i think i beat that dead horse repeatedly during the previous ongoing series... just hope they don't become reliant on it.. although some of this issue seemed to hint it would be heading in a similar direction of the previous series... not that the previous series did ANYTHING with the concept at all... sigh
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:14 pm

Well
Spoiler Below:
Frank literally gave away the ending
to this issue back when that loser was whining about the next issue.

Why anyone would complain about the inclusion of the Gargantuas, a fan favorite pair of kaiju, WHO ARE THE SEVEN DEGREES OF KEVIN BACON OF KAIJU, is beyond me.

EDIT: Holy crap the stuff unfolding... elsewhere is beyond belief. I actually think the way it ended would be reminiscent of a 1960s Toho Godzilla production. Kudos to Frank and Mowry.

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:38 pm

klen7 wrote:Over on the IDW forum someone posted this when it was announced the series was going to continue with Mowry and Frank
Yes!!! I'll will continue to support this series and hope that helps bring us many issues. I love this series and want it to continue.

Then posted this as their reaction to the newest issue
Well that's it for me. The idea that Godzilla the king of the monsters can actually be defeated by simple fire to the face, a cut and a small sonic boom gun is enough for me to stop supporting this series.

The Gargantuas could never win against the king and it was obvious that they were gonna die but out of nowhere the writing team decided that Fire + Cut + Sonic Boom Gun= Godzilla Defeated. That is just stupid and redicules and will not be a part of it.

Plus the final page just makes me mad and even more disappointed.

Now i don't mind a brand new ongoing with a new team

The same user also had previously mentioned when the preview came out that he had never seen the Gargantuans but knew they'd be no contest.

To be fair, i strongly dislike the hand held human weaponry that can stop a kaiju, but i think i beat that dead horse repeatedly during the previous ongoing series... just hope they don't become reliant on it.. although some of this issue seemed to hint it would be heading in a similar direction of the previous series... not that the previous series did ANYTHING with the concept at all... sigh

Yeah, that kid over there in the "other forum" has been beyond obnoxious (and I thought CyHunter was bad a decade ago) the last month leading up to issue #10, and I think his relentless, obsessive ranting over the "Frankenstein babies" (no joke, that's what he refers to the Gargantuas as :roll: ) is a sign of possible deeper emotional/mental issues. Sadly, he's sort of a microcosm of the typical new "fan" that's been popping up over there lately (i.e. hasn't seen, nor seems particularly interested in learning about, most of the older G films made before the millennium/heisei films, ignorant of the genre as a whole, constantly goes on and on about the merits of Bagan/Obsidiot/Krystalass/Super Godzilla/*insert video game reject of your choice here*, ranks kaiju purely of fantasy kaiju battle points, etc)...

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:46 pm

:( =( I wish Frank and Mowry hanged out here...

A new wave of fans is going to be interesting with that movie coming out. I can only hope it'll lead to a more diverse and healthier fandom. A lot of hard work was put into this issue, and while
Spoiler Below:
I don't think Gaira and Sanda could beat Godzilla in a direct confrontation
I think the way it was done was pretty damn brilliant. As I said, I could see this being the outcome of a Toho Godzilla film from the 60s.

Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:17 pm

I never want to bring drama from the "other" board over here, but that Gargantua-hating kid over there is a real nut job and now just seems to be intentionally trolling, as their "10 Reaction Thread" has reached 8 pages already :shock: Even Bobby Curnow is wasting time replying to him (I know he's being very nice/diplomatic, but I wish people, regardless of which message board, would just learn to ignore "fans" like this and stop taking them so seriously...that's how ridiculous things such as "Super Godzilla is in 3rd place in the Tamanishii poll!" happen).

cosmow wrote:
antovald20 wrote:No... it was dumb crap writing.

First off, I'll say thanks for at least reading the issue. Following your posts leading up to this issue, I could tell you were no fan of the Gargantuas. Now, maybe some things were not made crystal clear to you and I'm sorry if I failed in that regard, but the end result is that Godzilla was not defeated. He simply gave up. He had never seen these monsters before, was curious, found out that there was just too much to handle and given the interference of the CKR team (who's handheld weapons have been established to drive something away and not kill... that was in Issue #3 maybe?), not worth his efforts. The cut, as described in the script as such:

Panel Six: Gaira slashes Godzilla across the face! It’s a deep wound, one that hurts Godzilla.

4. SFX (Gaira): GRREEOONGRRR

5. SFX: SLSSSH

Now, I should have specified that it was across his eye (think generic samurai character), but I forgot to. So later on, that was what happened. Fire didn't "defeat" Godzilla, it blinded him. But remember what Gaira did to Varan in Issue #5. He's no slouch and is perfectly capable of causing a deep wound like that. Now, Page 17:

Panel Three: Godzilla staggers into another building, clearly trying to leave the area as he pats at his face, trying to get rid of the fire. His other hand is outstretched as if he’s temporarily blinded by the fire.

2. WOODS CAPTION: “He’s blinded! Keep hitting him with the sonics!”

Panel Four: The CKR team are moving toward the street where Gaira lies. Lucy and Woods are there, Lucy with her camera, Woods motioning for her to be careful.

3. LUCY: Sanda saved Gaira! Did you see that?!

4. WOODS: Be careful, G’s heading to the beach, but we don’t know how these two will react to us.

So that's pretty much all I'll say on it. Sorry you were disappointed, sorry you're leaving the series. I won't comment on the obvious inflammatory remarks you've made on other threads and message boards, because that's your choice to do so. In regard to the last page, you have no idea what's coming. Regardless of what you think you may know. Matt, Jeff, Priscilla, Bobby, and Toho (you know, the ones that approved everything that happened in this issue) are the only ones that do.

But if you do decide to cut down to only one issue, then I say thank you for at least getting that one. Every little bit helps.

-Chris Mowry

I really wish IDW, Tamanishii, Classic Media/Criteria/Kraken,etc. LP, etc. would not over-rely so much on the "other" forum to gauge how the fandom as a whole truly feels about things. It seems they rarely take a look at this board or the various FB groups out there...
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:47 pm

Some various online reviews (possible spoilers)

Sci-Fi Pulse
http://scifipulse.net/2014/03/in-review ... -earth-10/
IN REVIEW: GODZILLA: RULERS OF EARTH #10
The covers: A pair of my favorite monsters face off against each other this month, with our number one kaiju in between them on the Regular cover. With art by Matt Frank and colors by Thomas Deer, the War of the Gargantuas has Godzilla added to the mix. Gentle Sanda is eating dirt thanks to the giant reptile, while Gaira is coming at the monster lizard with a tree like a Louisville Slugger. I love this! The details on the monsters and the trees are amazing; and take a look at the lone house at the bottom, complete with frantic horse. I love the coloring. The soft rose clouds are the perfect calm backdrop to the calamity before them. I can hear classic Toho music as I look at this illustration. The RI cover is by Jeff Zornow, and it’s just as awesome! Here the Gargantuas are fighting each other in the water by a village while it’s raining. Gaira is naturally the aggressor as Sanda tries to dislodge him with a forward flip. The lighting is amazing on this piece with the incredible oranges that make it seem like Thomas Kinkade went down a far more interesting path. Say! How’s that for a moniker for Zornow–”Painter of Kaiju”? Good luck picking which is better, ’cause I can’t. Overall grades: Both A+

The story: The first two pages of Chris Mowry’s story focuses on the monsters. There’s an excellent establishment of size as Godzilla comes face to face with the largest mammal on earth, before looking to see Sanda (brown Gargantua) swimming quickly, pursued by Gaira (green Gargantua). The monster lizard subtly follows them toward their destination. Meanwhile, aboard the U.S.S. Simon, Lucy Casprell has a brief conversation with Commander Woods, that includes some minor flirtation, which leads to a group meeting about the possible relocation of the kaiju. What this new location is called had me beaming like an eight year old on Christmas morning. But we haven’t even gotten to the fighting…And where does it all go down this month? Let’s just say Lex Luthor wanted it in Superman II. This one-on-one and then two-on-one battle is tremendous. All that was missing was the spitting out of clothes! If I had seen what happens at the bottom of Page 16 and the top of 17 in a film I would have stood and applauded. There’s some nice hinting atop 18 as to why the battle ended and the last page a terrific taste of things to come. This was an incredibly fun read. Overall grade: A+

The art: I am in love with Matt Frank’s art. His monsters are beautiful. How so? Look at the fantastic realism he brings to the “real” monster of earth on Page 1 and then adds Godzilla to put it in perspective. His Godzilla is beautifully detailed with scale upon scale–Not once is he skimping out on the star of this book. Then there’s the Gargantuas. Their faces are perfection and their mottled hair that’s everywhere is a delight. I was thrilled Frank was able to get Sanda to emote so well, facially and with body language. The battle these get into is perfectly choreographed and I could tell where each participant was at all times. The city, which is demolished, and its denizens look great! The kaiju are the book’s showcase, but if Frank can’t pull off the human’s what’s the point of the non-monster pages? Worry not ’cause they’re great. I love the conference scene on Page 4 with the great detail of someone taking photographs to record the moment–So old school! Woods is the perfect looking soldier, right down to his Bruce Campbell chin. When he dons his fighting gear he looks bad! Lucy is the frail young girl who demands to be in the thick of things whose heart is stronger than her frame. She’s a great amalgamation of all the actresses who’ve appeared in kaiju films. My only complaint: Where was Russ Tamblyn? Overall grade: A+

The colors: Also making a stellar contribution was Priscilla Tramontano. She didn’t have to, but the coloring beyond the borders on the first page increased the depth of the final panel. The glowing eyes of Godzilla were cinematic gold! On Page 2 she again goes beyond the borders of the top panels to make the sky a beautiful blue. This led to the perfect contrast with the man-made brown interiors of the ship on Page 3. My favorite work by her on this issue was Page 13 because the bright sound effects and yellow-orange action backgrounds knocked this out of the park. Overall grade: A+

The letters: Sound effects, scene setting, narration, and dialogue all originate from Shawn Lee. These sound effects are an absolute kick in the pants! They must be read out loud to increase your enjoyment. I did and they made me smile ridiculously. Overall grade: A+

The final line: Absolutely awesome. Monsters battle, people run, cities crumble, and Godzilla is right in the thick of things. It does not get any better than this. Highest possible recommendation. Overall grade: A+

From Flickering Myth:
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/03/c ... rs-of.html

Luke Owen reviews Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #10...

With many monsters now inhabiting a new home, peace seemingly descends on Earth. Little does humanity realize that the greatest danger now lurks under the waves! Lucy and the Kaiju Watchers will have to act fast to determine the nature of the new threat!

The War of the Gargantuas is a bit of a cult favourite among an already niche genre. And while it will never be as recognised as its Godzilla contemporaries, it's fair to say that it is a decent little movie that has two interesting kaiju - the siblings Gaira and Sanda. They may not be "officially" part of Godzilla cannon, but Chris Mowry and Matt Frank have once again delved deep into the Toho back catalogue of characters to give them a chance to shine. And guess what? They nailed it.

Godzilla seems a bit bruised and battered after his encounters with Manda and Titanosaurus, but he isn't going to rest for too long as he follows Sanda and Gaira, who are having a sibling-tiff, to Brisbane for a monster rumble. Meanwhile in the human portion of our story, the decision to build Monster Island and house all of these kaiju is given the go ahead - and Sanda and Gaira will be its first inhabitants.

Returning to the fight after a one-issue hiatus is Matt Frank whose artwork is again at a high level and his attention to detail on monster fights is impeccable. Sanda and Gaira are hardly the most intricate of designs, but somehow Frank makes them look really imposing. The true highlight of the issue is the fight in Brisbane and this is mostly down to Frank's art. It's been a while since Godzilla: Rulers of Earth has had a fight in a city landscape and I think this change in scenery really brings this comic (and the three-way battle) to life. There is something about buildings crumbling around giant monsters that really brings a smile to a kaiju fans face, and this is an issue that has that in spades.

The comic also does a good job of setting up future plot threads with a good final panel return which will tie us back to the original alien invasion (who have been missing since being taken out by Jet Jaguar), and there is a very subtle hint of an appearance from Spacegodzilla. If you're up on your Heisei knowledge and storylines, you should be able to spot this.

Enough good things cannot be said about Godzilla: Rulers of Earth. Mowry's script is great, Frank's art is brilliant and the whole comic is a joy to read. It manages to balance the story and monster action so each issue feels new and fresh and it's a series that has yet to have a dud issue. Next issue we should be seeing the return of Destroyah, so you can expect to see more of the same in Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #11
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:55 pm

Geeked Out Nation:
http://www.geekedoutnation.com/comic-bo ... ncing-act/

Review: Godzilla Rulers of Earth #10 – Human and Monster Balancing Act

godzillarulers1003
POSITIVES
✔A really nice reveal with what's going on with all the Kaiju that were previously in the series.
✔Godzilla, Gaira, and Sanda all look great with Godzilla looking a bit terrifying at times.
✔Some nice easter eggs for Godzilla fans.
✔Another great issue from Mowry and Frank.
NEGATIVES
✘The humans are clearly a weak point for interior artist Matt Frank.

BOTTOM LINEAside from how the human characters are written, it doesn't take away much from how great this issue really is. This issue features some amazing moments between all the monsters with Godzilla being truly terrifying in this issue which I always love seeing.

With last month’s issue of Godzilla Rulers of Earth serving as backstory for the series at large we now to return to the present with Godzilla. Issue #10 of Rulers of Earth features another great balancing of story between our human characters and featuring some really great monster action.

This issue sees the return of both Gaira and Sanda (both originally from War of the Gargantuas) who were both last seen in issue #5. Also back are captain Woods and Lucy picking up where the end of last month’s issue left off. This issue starts off nicely with a great reveal of the King of the Monsters himself with nice scary glowing eyes. And I know I’ve said this before in my previous reviews of the series but Matt Frank does an amazing job once again with the Kaiju looking great as always. Which some of the best examples of his talent really come out in many of the panels featuring the brown Gargantua Sanda. Some of my favorite moments of this issue come from many of panels featuring Sanda whether he’s fighting Gaira or the two of them are teaming up against Godzilla simply because you can really see what’s going on in his head just by looking at his face. That’s not to say the other monster present don’t have some great moments, Godzilla in particular has some great moments in this comic where he looks really ferocious. One of if not my favorite panel to feature Godzilla in this entire issue and one of my all time favorite moments from the entire series has to be the little panel of Godzilla shrouded in darkness as he just vaporizes a battalion of tanks, it shows him being really terrifying and shows that Godzilla is not a friend of man at all.

godzillarulers1010

Now while there is a lot in Matt Frank’s artwork to be praised one of the things that he has yet to fully improve on his how he draws the human characters. There are just too many moments for me where the interior artwork for the human characters just pales in comparison to the Kaiju. I mean in one panel the character Lucy’s neck looks a bit too long and in the next panel we see the character Steve Woods have a huge forehead where in all other panels he has a normal sized one. The only other problem with the human characters I can really see is that too me there are many panels where Lucy’s hair looks like it’s gonna pop right off. But with those sort of problems with his artwork for the human characters I do see that Matt Frank has gotten better with his human characters, but he still has a way to go with them in my opinion.

On the story side of things there are some really nice developments with some really nice callbacks to the Godzilla movies that I’m sure many Godzilla fans will really enjoy. Saradia oil anyone? But we see the return of an idea that was attempted in previous IDW Godzilla comics except more realized as well as resembling more like the original idea that was present in the later Showa Godzilla films. Now in regards to all the Kaiju and them fighting the few that are present in this issue are just awesome with the first featuring some nice panels echoing War of the Gargantuas. And the fight that takes up the remainder of the issue features one of the fights that fans have been wanting to see for years, and not only does Godzilla fight one of the Gargantuas he fights both(one thing I really liked was that the Gargantuas kept their original size and weren’t beefed up to match Godzilla). And while I went on a bit about my gripes with the artwork in regards to the humans this issue is a truly great issue in the series and I can’t wait to see where the big reveal of this issue leads to in the coming issues now that the series has been given an extension.

Comic Bastards:
http://comicbastards.com/review-godzill ... -earth-10/

Review: Godzilla – Rulers of the Earth #10
by Carl Boehm
COMICS Reviews8 hours ago
GODZILLA_ROE_10_cvrA copy
Kaiju fans have been treated with this series because Chris Mowry has delivered the monster battles with passionate intensity. He has dipped into the most obscure monsters (Kamoebas, for example), and continues to do so with this issue.

Sanda, in all his brown-ness and the very green Gaira make Gargantuan appearances in issue 10 as they do battle with Godzilla. Now here are all fanboys’ dreams realized: we get to see battles between Big G and monsters that he never fought in the Toho films. Mowry stays dedicated to The War of the Gargantuas (1966) storyline by having Sanda being the passive one and Gaira being the belligerent monster.

As the twin monsters attack Australia, Godzilla pops up to show why he’s the King of the Monsters. Lucy and Woods intervene with some sonic weapons and send Big G packing. Meanwhile, Sanda and Gaira get collected to the island where all the monsters are being deposited.

GODZILLA_ROE_10_cvrAThe issue has its strengths, namely a fast introduction to Godzilla in a very creative way. Also, as mentioned, we have two kaiju that never fought Godzilla getting a chance to rumble with the King of the Monsters. Throw in Matt Frank doing an excellent job depicting the details of the Gargantuas with all their furry hides, and you have a very balanced episode.

The one weakness that I observed for this issue is that the Gargantuas appear for no distinct reason. Sure, it’s cool that they appear, but above that coolness is a story that needs to be told. We understand from the Mothra explication last issue that some monsters are representative of Earth; therefore, the twin kaiju could be attracted to the impending war.

I’m hoping that monsters aren’t being used only as a gimmick but as a larger element of this arc. With issue 14 (the last of this series) closing in only four books away, I am anticipating a great climax from Mowry and crew. He built up a great series so far, and therefore I see no reason to doubt his conclusion.

Score: 4/5

Review from Destroyer (Member from TK...can't remember if he's also a member of this board or not):

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/comics/ ... view/94412

Rulers of Earth enters double digits! It’s been awhile since the flashback issue, in fact, it almost feels like forever. While not the best issue of the series, we do get to see one fantastic thing: Godzilla vs. the Gargantuas.

Here’s the official description from IDW:

With many monsters now inhabiting a new home, peace seemingly descends on Earth. Little does humanity realize that the greatest danger now lurks under the waves! Lucy and the Kaiju Watchers will have to act fast to determine the nature of the new threat!

GODZILLA ROE 10 cvrRI GODZILLA: Rulers of Earth #10 Review

The Gargantuas (Sanda and Gaira) outside the Godzilla circle aren’t that popular. Even within that circle, they sill aren’t that popular. So it was a bit surprising to see them included in this series, but nonetheless cool. This issue is monumental because after all these years of fantasy fights, we get to see a real battle between Godzilla and the two brothers. While I wasn’t personally pleased with Godzilla’s portrayal, it’s still another fun comic.

Chris Mowry nicely brings the story back to modern day. This issue reveals the government’s plan: relocate the monsters to a few islands dubbed ‘Monster Islands.’ But, plans are put away since Godzilla is spotted after the Gargantuas. Woods was pretty solid throughout. He still isn’t quite the great character from the very first ongoing, but this issue does mark an improvement with him. Lucy was pretty good too, I enjoyed her lines. I really like how well the Gargantuas are being portrayed. Sanda has a great loyalty to his violent brother, but the two come to blows because of Gaira’s tendency for destroying humans. Then they both team-up against Godzilla.

This was my personal problem. Godzilla was portrayed more as the antagonist of this issue. He chased Sanda for no real reason and attacked for no real reason. The fight itself was a lot of fun, but it was hard to like Godzilla in this one. Matt Frank’s humans were a bit off. I’m not quite sure how to describe it, it’s just that in a lot of the scenes they didn’t look good. The fight was nicely done however, and Sanda greatly expresses his more gentle personality. The main cover by Frank is truly awesome, a fantastic piece depicting Godzilla taking on the Gargantuas. It’s one of my personal favorite covers ever. Gargantua fans will definitely like the RI by Jeff Zornow.

Overall, Rulers of Earth #10 was a solid comic. It develops the story a bit, with the last page being very interesting. The fight between Godzilla and the Gargantuas doesn’t disappoint. I didn’t like certain aspects, but nonetheless it’s one of the more fun comics you can pick up this week.

OUR RATING

7.5 +Fight between Godzilla and the Gargantuas was excellent +Sanda was great +Lucy is proving to be a fine asset to the cast -Wasn't pleased with Godzilla's antagonistic portrayal at all -Lucy describing Woods' smile as 'cute' was very strange

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby Jorzilla » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:12 pm

I think the real issue is that people assume that because this is a Godzilla comic, Godzilla is the good guy or deserves to win. This comic specifically painted Godzilla in a more horrific/antagonist light. The Gargantuas on the otherhand, are more sympathetic due to their connection to humanity/altruism of Sanda.

This is no different that people complaining about Godzilla losing to King Kong or Mothra in the early 60s. People just need to accept that Godzilla isn't always going to win, because if he does, you get Final Wars.
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:06 am

This was my personal problem. Godzilla was portrayed more as the antagonist of this issue. He chased Sanda for no real reason and attacked for no real reason.
i need to re-read it when i get home, but i recall thinking that Godzilla wanted to eat the Gargantuas because he was hungry... which in hindsight probably wasn't the case
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Chris Mowry » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:27 pm

Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! wrote::( =( I wish Frank and Mowry hanged out here...

We do!

Actually, I finally got my login stuff situated, so I'll be on here more often.

But thanks for the kind words on the issue. Who knew it would cause such "rage" in some people. My belief is that if someone is putting their hard-earned money down on something I was involved with, then I have the obligation to hear their comments, good or bad.
Chris Mowry
Godzilla Egg

Postby klen7 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:06 pm

Welcome aboard
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Chris Mowry » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:12 pm

Thanks! Glad to be here.
Chris Mowry
Godzilla Egg

Postby GaryT » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:21 pm

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:
klen7 wrote:Then posted this as their reaction to the newest issue

Geez, when will comic book writers and artists realize that when creating a comic book about a giant radioactive fire-breathing lizard battling two giant hairy ape-men siblings, strict realism is a must!!!

Just kidding. Keep up the good work, Mr. Mowry.
GaryT
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:13 pm

Yay! You're here! I really like the work you and Mr. Frank put into this series, and we appreciate it. This series has been several steps above the last one.

One question though, how did it come to the decision to use the KiryuGojiish design for this series. Or is it something that just happened. I like that consistency.

Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Postby Chris Mowry » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:03 pm

GaryT wrote:Geez, when will comic book writers and artists realize that when creating a comic book about a giant radioactive fire-breathing lizard battling two giant hairy ape-men siblings, strict realism is a must!!!

Just kidding. Keep up the good work, Mr. Mowry.

Hahaha. Thanks!
Chris Mowry
Godzilla Egg

Postby Chris Mowry » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:12 pm

Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! wrote:Yay! You're here! I really like the work you and Mr. Frank put into this series, and we appreciate it. This series has been several steps above the last one.

One question though, how did it come to the decision to use the KiryuGojiish design for this series. Or is it something that just happened. I like that consistency.

Thank you very much. Matt and I are always happy to hear it when people enjoy our efforts. Please don't forget the monthly efforts of Jeff Zornow, our colorist Priscilla Tramontano (the first two issues were by the incredible Ronda Pattison), letterer Shawn Lee, and of course, our editor Bobby Curnow. It's nice to be able to work on a book that really feels like a team effort every month. We all have input, we all share ideas, and it's always nice to be able to have that kind of relationship.

The design... I'm not sure to be honest. I think early on, Matt and I were talking about our favorite suits and how the previous books were very Heisei in their Godzilla designs, but we wanted to have something that was a sort of blending of that and the Millennium designs. Matt is really the one that came up with that look you see in the book. I think honestly the only thing I was concerned with was his height since we'd be bringing in so many new monsters.
Chris Mowry
Godzilla Egg

Postby XvGojira » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:41 am

Chris Mowry wrote:
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! wrote:Yay! You're here! I really like the work you and Mr. Frank put into this series, and we appreciate it. This series has been several steps above the last one.

Thank you very much. Matt and I are always happy to hear it when people enjoy our efforts. Please don't forget the monthly efforts of Jeff Zornow, our colorist Priscilla Tramontano (the first two issues were by the incredible Ronda Pattison), letterer Shawn Lee, and of course, our editor Bobby Curnow. It's nice to be able to work on a book that really feels like a team effort every month. We all have input, we all share ideas, and it's always nice to be able to have that kind of relationship.

The design... I'm not sure to be honest. I think early on, Matt and I were talking about our favorite suits and how the previous books were very Heisei in their Godzilla designs, but we wanted to have something that was a sort of blending of that and the Millennium designs. Matt is really the one that came up with that look you see in the book. I think honestly the only thing I was concerned with was his height since we'd be bringing in so many new monsters.

Oh cool. I remember hearing some where that the use of KiryuGoji design was order on high, that Toho wanted that design to be the "face" of Godzilla. But I think that stemmed from the Criterion Blu-ray brouhaha.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Pkmatrix » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:49 am

I already mentioned it at the other forum, but I want to repeat here that I loved Issue #10. Yet again, the team delivers another great comic. I think the fight between Godzilla and the Gargantuas might be my new favorite! ^_^

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see where this is going. ^_^
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:21 pm

I heard about the outrage before I read the comic...but not what the outrage was about.
So I expected something crazy (Godzilla being created by the Giant Condor, Death of a fan beloved kaiju, Bagan).
Seems like a solid issue, and it was neat to see something as small as the Gargantuas dealing with Godzilla (not that there haven't been smaller kaiju).
It also don't mind Godzilla being driven away (Lucy mentions the cut so I imagine an explosion happening on an open wound would smart something even as powerful as Godzilla). It's not like they killed him, so much as annoyed him away.
Solid issue.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:27 am

Chris Mowry wrote: Who knew it would cause such "rage" in some people.

Correction: "Some people" should be changed to "one individual" (who is rather young with some possible emotional/mental issues)...beyond that kid, I've heard *no one* on either here or TK say they "hated" seeing the Gargantuas battle Godzilla....in fact, the Gargantuas' appearance has received some of most enthusiastic support I've seen for this series.

Chris Mowry wrote: My belief is that if someone is putting their hard-earned money down on something I was involved with, then I have the obligation to hear their comments, good or bad.

I know you're being kind/diplomatic (I commend you, Frank, and Bobby for trying to be nice/kind to this kid, despite the total lack of respect he exhibited), but I sincerely hope you guys don't take that kid's rants to heart nor too seriously...there is a fine line between listening to legitimate, intelligent complaints that are grounded in reality vs the complete nonsensical/batshi*t insane/out of touch with reality...

...and welcome aboard :wink: Please tell Frank, Zornow, and Bobby not to be strangers over here.

MekaGojira3k wrote:I heard about the outrage before I read the comic...but not what the outrage was about.

There was no "outrage" except for one person (who has never even seen WOFG and has an obsession/fetish for Bagan/Obsidiot/Krystalass/Video games-Kaiju fantasy battles)...and he's totally entitled to his views/opinions. But the problem was that this kid completely lost his sanity, took things way too far, and went out of his way for the last month and a half to ruin it for everyone else, and instead of ignoring him, other posters just exasperated the problem by trying to reason with him, and it blew up into an 8-9 page flame war (that's why I'll always prefer Sci-fi/MZ...although we have our fair share of drama from time to time, it doesn't happen on a consistent basis as it does over there).

Look, I didn't like seeing GINO/Shere Khan back in issue #2 (nor do I care for the LP Godzilla design in the upcoming film), but I've never gone off the deep end saying "I'm done with this comic/film" and intentionally tried to completely take over/hijack a thread.
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:17 am

YouTube review from Godzilla419:

phpBB [media]

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla