Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #9 Reaction Thread

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #9 Reaction Thread

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:23 pm

Same drill as always. Below is the usual review from TK:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/idw_g ... th_09.html

Second issue of 2014, and one of the most kaiju filled yet. For better or worse, the issue is a much longer read than any of the Godzilla comics from IDW Publishing to date. This is on account of a lengthy back story given for the four groups of kaiju who reside on Earth. Its an okay read, but not as engaging as past issues while Jeff Zornow, who takes over from series regular Matt Frank, does an good to okay job with the art.

The plot starts off with the end of Godzilla Rulers of Earth #8 as Titanosaurus, Gezora and Manda are attacking the naval fleet that assembled for the battle with Biollante. The battle separates kaiju enthusiast Lucy Casprell from her group, as she is washed away in the surf. Godzilla arrives and defeats all three monsters, protecting the ships. Following the attack, a recovery operation is underway to save as many lives from the battle as possible. However, Lucy is not found... as she has washed up on Infant Island. Approached by the Shobijin, they explain to her the balance on Earth for the four groups of kaiju, which Lucy translates as elements: Land, Water, Sky and Fire. They also mention how the Earth is currently out of balance, which Lucy deduces to be because of the space monsters.

Story wise, this is one of the longest reads in the series so far. The Shobijin give a LOT of back story. Some of this is placed against the back drop of Gorosaurus and Megaguirus fighting, while most of it is explained while Megalon, on behalf of Earth, is battling King Caesar, on behalf of humanity. Seeing the ancient battle with the two monsters was great, but can't say I was a fan overall of the back story execution. It does give the comic a chance, though, to throw out an almost dizzying amount of kaiju. In all, 16 monsters appear while wall art hints at Zilla, Ganimes, Kamacuras and Kumonga as well.

In terms of the art, Jeff Zornow takes over and does a good to okay effort on this issue. On the plus side, he draws a great King Caesar and Megalon and helps sell their conflict which does take a majority of the issue. On the downside, the other kaiju are uneven in execution. Megaguirus, for example, looks like it has a beard although this is partially because of the coloring by Priscilla Tramontano. Kameobas also looks off in general, and overall experience is up and down. Still, as a whole, the art definitely does more right than wrong and is enjoyable on the whole.

As for the covers, the issue has two which are both stellar, although the main cover is the clear winner. Done by Jeff Zornow, the primary cover has King Caesar attacking Megalon on top of an ancient ship. Its a great action pose and a very eye catching cover. The alternate is done by Matt Frank and has a face-off approach with King Caesar and Megalon staring each other down while Baragon fights Kameobas and Gorosaurus fights Megaguirus. The detail on this cover isn't quite as tight, but is visually appealing.

Overall, this issue gets saddle down with a lot of back story which feels like it could have been condensed a little. The King Caesar and Megalon bout is great, but otherwise there isn't much to sell this issue on except it name drops the majority of the characters that IDW has licensed from Toho.
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Re: Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #9 Reaction Thread

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:12 pm

I like it, sheds some more light on the origin of the monsters...sort of...although there are now two continuity hiccups, but whatever. It was neat to see all of the cave renderings of some of the other kaiju.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:34 am

Review posted by a member from TK:

So here's my review if you want to see what I thought of the issue with reasons behind why I think what I did yeah.

[url]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/050/4/2/godzilla__rulers_of_earth__9_review_by_mr_x_the_kaiju_freak-d7772zy.jpg[/url]

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:43 pm

First one of these I've picked up. Liked it well enough. The art is fantastic. The monsters, as always, are the best parts of these books. Almost wish they'd just drop the humans completely.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:45 am

king_ghidorah wrote:First one of these I've picked up. Liked it well enough. The art is fantastic. The monsters, as always, are the best parts of these books. Almost wish they'd just drop the humans completely.

Thing is, its just something that's really difficult to translate to a comic book. The monster/human balance is way more in flux than in a feature.

But on the other hand, I don't know how exciting a comic with just monsters fighting in it could ever be either.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:52 am

MouthForWar wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:First one of these I've picked up. Liked it well enough. The art is fantastic. The monsters, as always, are the best parts of these books. Almost wish they'd just drop the humans completely.

Thing is, its just something that's really difficult to translate to a comic book. The monster/human balance is way more in flux than in a feature.

But on the other hand, I don't know how exciting a comic with just monsters fighting in it could ever be either.

That's just the thing of it though....there's no way you could ever make a Godzilla movie without humans but you could conceivably do it with a comic.

For any dinosaur fans out there, there's a wonderful book that came out a few decades ago called Raptor Red. No humans at all, takes place entirely through a raptor's point of view and you know what? It's awesome!
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:34 pm

I read that book once upon a time. I remember liking it well enough.

and yeah, I think it's more possible to do a monsters-only thing in a comic book, because you can get inside their heads. There were a few Dark Horse comics that were more or less just Godzilla and another monster. Hell, there's the one where he goes back to the prehistoric era, and it turns out it was all a dream, or was it? Kinda fun to wonder if Godzilla dreams.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:05 pm

I think it could be cool, but I don't have a problem with the humans in ROE. This is the largest cast I've liked (the only characters I liked prior really were in HCW and those were like 3 guys).
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:25 pm

The one panel that refers to King Seesar as unstoppable is pretty fantastic.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:56 pm

I wasn't a big fan of Zornow's first round of interiors, but I think there's a lot of improvement here.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:11 pm

I love the way Zornow draws the 03 Big G. Fantastic. I could be fine with that version of Godzilla for the rest of my life.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:57 pm

I'm not a big fan of it, but between Zornow's covers/interiors and HCW I've grown to really like it. Especially the HCW color scheme for it.
That book was so pretty.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:30 pm

I think Zornow's rendition of the Kiryugoji Godzilla looks more like the Final Wars design in most panels, at least as far as the face goes, which I like.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:45 pm

klen7 wrote:The one panel that refers to King Seesar as unstoppable is pretty fantastic.

just because.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:32 am

YouTube review of issue #9

phpBB [media]

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:49 am

king_ghidorah wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:

That's just the thing of it though....there's no way you could ever make a Godzilla movie without humans but you could conceivably do it with a comic.

For any dinosaur fans out there, there's a wonderful book that came out a few decades ago called Raptor Red. No humans at all, takes place entirely through a raptor's point of view and you know what? It's awesome!

There's also the Age of Reptiles comics from Dark Horse by Ricardo Delgado.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Return to Godzilla in Print