Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #8 Reaction Thread

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #8 Reaction Thread

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:12 am

I'll get the ball started here (man, it has been DEAD here recently). Review is up at TK:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/idw_g ... th_08.html

First issue of the new year, and a major story progression for the series, as Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #8 wraps up part of the alien invasion while kicking off the introduction of Biollante. The comic, as the one before, is an enjoyable read thanks largely to the ever improving art duties by Matt Frank, while the story is starting to move the plot toward what looks like a second climax.

For the story, Steven Woods and Chavez are trapped inside the Cryog ship facing down the alien invaders. The standoff is short lived, as Woods starts blasting with his handheld zero cannon, sending them running. Shortly afterwards, Jet Jaguar breaks apart a piece of the ship, rescuing the two, while the Cryog retreat toward the Devonian island bases... only to find themselves double crossed and a monster called Biollante waiting for them. Entangled in her vines and their destruction imminent, Godzilla arrives and blasts the vines which inadvertently frees the ship; however, it's too late for the alien race, leaving Godzilla to fend off the giant plant mutation.

Plot wise, there is a lot going on here, more than most of the issues that preceded it. While the Devonian double crossing the Cryog was an unforeseen surprise, and I give credit for shaking up the normal alien invaders dynamic that has become such a mainstay in the films (think if the Seatopians betrayed the Nebulians), it does in retrospect make the Cryog look like chumps which is all the more unexpected after their lethal showing in Godzilla Rulers of Earth #3.

As to be expected, the issue is heavy on the action, although the Godzilla and Biollante battle was not quite as climatic or as long as I might have hoped for at six pages, although to be fair Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989) is my favorite film and likely would have been a critic regardless. I will give it credit for at least ending it in a creative way, that I'm sure at least some fan fiction will be quick to emulate. The action as always is really helped along by the art, as Matt Frank does draw a good Biollante, although it's Godzilla and the Cryog who once more have the most impressive art showings. Worth noting as well, as it hasn't been touched on in awhile, but Frank has really come a long way in how he portrays the human characters as well. When contrasting with earlier titles, like Godzilla Legends #1, the humans are more detailed, more distinct and with less exaggerated features that overall makes for a pretty solid improvement.

As for the covers, the comic has two which are both misleading, hinting at a huge monster ensemble that never happens. Of the two, the alternate by Jeff Zornow gets the nod as he draws an amazing shot of an overly large Biollante towering over the other monsters. Some of the details in the kaiju is loose, but frankly Biollante looks so great she could have been the only monster on the cover and it would have still netted it as the recommended choice. The main cover by Matt Frank is good... but gives an overly comedic vibe that doesn't quite fit the title. Most of the characters do look solid, though, with Godzilla and Anguirus looking the best, although the Gargantuas could have used a bit more work.

Overall, another enjoyable issue that ends on one of the better cliff hangers in the series, leaving a real lasting impression on that final panel and has the reader in anticipation for what the Devonian's plan is after having tossed the Cyrog out of the way.
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Re: Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #8 Reaction Thread

Postby klen7 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:03 am

I just picked my issue this week. There are some great panels in this one
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Pkmatrix » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:43 pm

I really enjoyed this issue (as I have all of RoE)! The double-cross was unexpected and a cool twist, Biollante looked great, and I really loved the way Godzilla used the environment to his advantage. Great job! I can't wait until the next issue. 8)
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:15 pm

Due to a new job I only just had the chance to pick up my comic today. I really liked it, I'm sure that won't be the last we see of Biollante.
Loved this ^
I also love how this series has a larger arc full of these smaller arcs. So much more pleasant to read.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Pkmatrix » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:21 pm

MekaGojira3k wrote:Due to a new job I only just had the chance to pick up my comic today. I really liked it, I'm sure that won't be the last we see of Biollante.
Loved this ^
I also love how this series has a larger arc full of these smaller arcs. So much more pleasant to read.

That was one of my favorite bits. It's little stuff like this that makes RoE Godzilla feel much more like a character with an actual personality than he did in either KoM or HGM. I appreciate it so much every issue! :D

If there's any complaint I have with RoE so far, it's that I feel like we have too many supporting characters. It's easy to keep track of the important people, but I wouldn't be opposed to streamlining the cast a little bit.
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:27 pm

YouTube review of ROE #8:

phpBB [media]
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Return to Godzilla in Print