Page 1 of 3

Godzilla (2014) Legendary Hardcover Comic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:14 pm
by klen7
GODZILLA HC
IN THEATERS MAY 16, 2014!
TM & © Toho Co., Ltd. © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
Written by MAX BORENSTEIN and GREG BORENSTEIN
Art by ERIC BATTLE, YVEL GUICHET, ALAN QUAH and LEE LOUGHRIDGE
Cover by ARTHUR ADAMS
On sale MAY 7 • 72 pg, FC, $19.99 US
In May 2014, audiences will witness the epic rebirth of the King of Monsters as Legendary and Warner Bros. bring Godzilla to the big screen. To pave the way for the iconic creature’s return, Legendary Comics is proud to present the official Godzilla graphic novel!
Delve into an incredible mystery, generations in the making. At the dawn of the atomic age, humanity awakens lifeforms beyond imagination, unleashing monumental forces of nature. This explosive, larger-than-life adventure is the perfect way for fans to experience the new Godzilla before seeing it in theaters.


Saw this over at Kaiju Battle (who is TERRIBLE at attributing content btw) but i guess that answers the question of who is doing the official G comic for the film since IDW doesnt have the rights to it...although it makes sense that it would come out under Legendary's own imprint.

With four separate interior artists, i am guessing we are getting something more akin to Year Zero than a direct adaptation.

Re: Godzilla (2014) Legendary Hardcover Comic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:37 pm
by lhb412
Very interesting. I wondered if we'd get any kind of comic tie-in (besides IDW's unrelated but meant to coincide miniseries).

Re: Godzilla (2014) Legendary Hardcover Comic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:19 pm
by klen7
phpBB [media]

Godzilla: Awakening

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:14 am
by mr.negativity
Bobby Curnow wrote:The movie license is different from "Classic Godzilla" which is what we have.

That's about all I can say on the subject for now, though I will share more when i'm able!

Legendary's Comic Prequel - Godzilla: Awakening

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:19 pm
by jellydonut25
http://www.legendary.com/news/godzilla-awakening

In May 2014, audiences will witness the epic rebirth of the King of Monsters as Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures bring Godzilla to the big screen. To pave the way for the iconic creature's return, Legendary Comics is proud to present the official graphic novel Godzilla: Awakening. This 72-page story, set decades before the film, is co-written by Max Borenstein (screenwriter of the new Godzilla) and Greg Borenstein.

Delve into an incredible mystery, generations in the making. At the dawn of the atomic age, humanity awakens life forms beyond imagination, unleashing monumental forces of nature. This explosive, larger-than-life adventure is the perfect way for fans to glimpse the new Godzilla before seeing the film in theaters.
Godzilla: Awakening is illustrated by Eric Battle (X-Men, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman), Yvel Guichet (Pacific Rim: Tales from Year Zero, Superboy Annual, End of Nations), Alan Quah (Rage, The Vampire Diaries, Anywhere) and Lee Loughridge (Batman Adventures, Arkham Asylum: Living Hell, Marvel Zombies Return), and features cover art by Arthur Adams (Godzilla, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Uncanny X-Men).


Image
gills. gills as far as the eye can see.

Re: Legendary's Comic Prequel - Godzilla: Awakening

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:48 pm
by klen7

Re: Legendary's Comic Prequel - Godzilla: Awakening

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:49 pm
by Hybrid Gojira
Blah. The cover is underwhelming.

Re: Legendary's Comic Prequel - Godzilla: Awakening

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:15 pm
by klen7
it's the legendary Art Adams!
Image

Re: Legendary's Comic Prequel - Godzilla: Awakening

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:03 pm
by jellydonut25
klen7 wrote:http://www.scifijapan.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20249

whoops. I'll fix that. I did a search but must not have used the right terms.

Re: Godzilla (2014) Legendary Hardcover Comic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:13 pm
by MekaGojira3k
I dig it. Long Live the Gills!

Re: Godzilla (2014) Legendary Hardcover Comic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:39 pm
by Hybrid Gojira
Dunno, usually anything Art Adams does is pure gold, but I really hate this cover. Godzilla's neck looks all kinds of wrong. *shrug

Re: Legendary's Comic Prequel - Godzilla: Awakening

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:09 pm
by Pkmatrix
Hybrid Gojira wrote:Blah. The cover is underwhelming.


Are you kidding?!! This cover is FANTASTIC! I want it as a poster! 8)

Re: Godzilla (2014) Legendary Hardcover Comic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:32 pm
by tbeasley
I dig it as well, Adams is my favorite Godzilla related artist. He really knows how to draw a near-perfect contemporary design.

Re: Legendary's Comic Prequel - Godzilla: Awakening

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:10 pm
by Hybrid Gojira
Pkmatrix wrote:
Hybrid Gojira wrote:Blah. The cover is underwhelming.


Are you kidding?!! This cover is FANTASTIC! I want it as a poster! 8)


Nope...it looks odd.

Re: Legendary's Comic Prequel - Godzilla: Awakening

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:21 pm
by Pkmatrix
Hybrid Gojira wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
Hybrid Gojira wrote:Blah. The cover is underwhelming.


Are you kidding?!! This cover is FANTASTIC! I want it as a poster! 8)


Nope...it looks odd.


What's so odd about it? The design here just looks like an updated version of the character design from Dark Horse's Godzilla B&W Special, and I've never heard anyone complain about that one. :|

Image

Re: Godzilla (2014) Legendary Hardcover Comic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:53 pm
by klen7
i have! i have heard it compared to a slug

Re: Godzilla (2014) Legendary Hardcover Comic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:53 pm
by Benjamin Haines
I really like this new Adams cover. I also like how, whether it's this cover or the NECA figures or the less-detailed Bandai toys, every representation of this new Legendary Godzilla design makes it a point to clearly display the gills. :mrgreen: New traditional feature!

Re: Legendary's Comic Prequel - Godzilla: Awakening

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:11 pm
by Hybrid Gojira
Pkmatrix wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
Hybrid Gojira wrote:Blah. The cover is underwhelming.


Are you kidding?!! This cover is FANTASTIC! I want it as a poster! 8)


What's so odd about it? The design here just looks like an updated version of the character design from Dark Horse's Godzilla B&W Special, and I've never heard anyone complain about that one. :|

Image


....also a terrible picture of Godzilla...

;)

Re: Legendary's Comic Prequel - Godzilla: Awakening

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:50 am
by ebirahsmeg1
Image
Image

God, even the great Art Adams cannot salvage this awful looking design. Image Though granted, it's not like he had much to work with, considering the source material. To be honest, I think Art Adam's artwork of LP G is actually quite an improvement from the actual LP design seen in stills and trailers (the dorsal fins in particular)...and it still looks terrible.

klen7 wrote:
GODZILLA HC
IN THEATERS MAY 16, 2014!
TM & © Toho Co., Ltd. © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
Written by MAX BORENSTEIN and GREG BORENSTEIN
Art by ERIC BATTLE, YVEL GUICHET, ALAN QUAH and LEE LOUGHRIDGE
Cover by ARTHUR ADAMS
On sale MAY 7 • 72 pg, FC, $19.99 US
In May 2014, audiences will witness the epic rebirth of the King of Monsters as Legendary and Warner Bros. bring Godzilla to the big screen. To pave the way for the iconic creature’s return, Legendary Comics is proud to present the official Godzilla graphic novel!
Delve into an incredible mystery, generations in the making. At the dawn of the atomic age, humanity awakens lifeforms beyond imagination, unleashing monumental forces of nature. This explosive, larger-than-life adventure is the perfect way for fans to experience the new Godzilla before seeing it in theaters.


Saw this over at Kaiju Battle (who is TERRIBLE at attributing content btw) but i guess that answers the question of who is doing the official G comic for the film since IDW doesnt have the rights to it...although it makes sense that it would come out under Legendary's own imprint.

With four separate interior artists, i am guessing we are getting something more akin to Year Zero than a direct adaptation.


Yup, a "Year Zero" quality type of comic is most likely what we'll be seeing....hopefully the story is interesting.

Re: Godzilla (2014) Legendary Hardcover Comic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:13 am
by MekaGojira3k
I hope it's a little more substantial than Year One.

Re: Legendary's Comic Prequel - Godzilla: Awakening

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:24 am
by tbeasley
ebirahsmeg1 wrote:God, even the great Art Adams cannot salvage this awful looking design. Image Though granted, it's not like he had much to work with, considering the source material. To be honest, I think Art Adam's artwork of LP G is actually quite an improvement from the actual LP design seen in stills and trailers (the dorsal fins in particular)...and it still looks terrible.


What's so terrible about it... ?

Re: Godzilla (2014) Legendary Hardcover Comic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:01 am
by klen7
inked and penciled version of Art Adams piece
Image

Image

Re: Godzilla (2014) Legendary Hardcover Comic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm
by jellydonut25
I wasn't a huge fan of Tales from Year Zero so I definitely hope this is a little better than that.

Re: Godzilla (2014) Legendary Hardcover Comic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:16 pm
by daikaijusaurus
klen7 wrote:inked and penciled version of Art Adams piece
Image

Image


I pretty much love anything Godzilla related that comes from Art Adams. If I were the decision maker over at Legendary Comics I'd have him do the interiors as well. I LOVE both the pencilled and inked piece that he did, they're amazing!

BUT...I think it looks terrible as the cover for the comic. My main issue is with the logo (Godzilla Awakening), it really looks out of place and it's totally ruined Art's beautiful drawing. I also think they cropped the drawing too much, I think they could've shown a little bit more and still have it scaled to fit the size of the cover. Just my opinion :)

Anyway, I still plan on grabbing a copy.

Re: Godzilla (2014) Legendary Hardcover Comic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:34 pm
by klen7
I agree that the artwork looks better uncropped. I also love the buildings in the penciled version..not sure why it got covered up in the inked version