Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #7 Reaction Thread

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #7 Reaction Thread

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:44 pm

You know the drill...Post your thoughts here.

Review and preview is up at TK:
Preview:
http://www.tohokingdom.com/news/2013/12 ... eview.html

Review:
http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/idw_g ... th_07.html

The last issue of 2013, Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #7 continues from the mini-cliff hanger of the #6 with what turns out to be a very Jet Jaguar centric comic. It's an enjoyable read, thanks to Matt Frank's fantastic art, although the Devonian are quickly losing their menace while the Jet Jaguar focus feels a little odd for the series.

For the plot, the comic focuses a little on Woods being told about Yumi Nagata and her Jet Jaguar project, who just ripped apart Orga from the inside out. After exchanging a few blows, the robot and Godzilla form an uneasy alliance to take down Gigan. The size-changing machine's appearance has also shaken the Devonian a little, as they recognize the robot, but not enough to halt them from sending down another craft to rescue the still reforming Orga.

The story packs a bit more meat to it than the past couple issues, which is nice to see. The fact that Jet Jaguar is being set up as a principal player in the series is certainly an odd twist, though. I will be frank that I'm not a huge fan of Jet Jaguar in large doses. The design has always felt a little out of place for me in the franchise, and continues to do so here. I do welcome the addition of Yumi, the robot's "keeper", though. It seems her father had a hand with Jet Jaguar, and there is a mystery surrounding his origin (his forehead looks similar to the Devonian, as harmless musing...), making her already one of the more interesting characters in the series as there seems to be more to her than is already revealed.

In terms of the action, Gigan is very outmatched which doesn't make the battle here quite as engaging as Godzilla Rulers of Earth #6, but its framed well and the art by Matt Frank is excellent. Gigan and Godzilla in particular look great, although its the Devonian aliens themselves that seem to get a great level of detail to them from the artist. There is some artist flair added here and there as well, such frames of a black silhouette Gigan, with a pulsing red eye, attacking Godzilla that make for a visually appealing sequence.

As for the covers, this issue has two okay ones to choose from, with both being decent but neither standing out which is a change of pace for the normally solid covers that have carried the comic run so far. The main one is by Frank and features Godzilla, Jet Jaguar and the Devonians in the background. The cover stands out a little more than the alternate, although Godzilla looks a little more dragon-like than normal in the foreground. The Jeff Zornow alternate, like before, is a bit more dynamic, but I can't get over the odd framing of Godzilla, whose tail placement being behind Jet Jaguar and the trajectory of the punch don't make a lot of sense.

Overall, a good issue that I probably would have enjoyed more if I was a fan of the Jet Jaguar character, so notable for those who are more open to him as this is the best he has ever been represented. Hopefully the series continues as this one did with a bit more of a mix of the human and kaiju elements, while also looks to bring back some of the menace that has started to leave the Devonians.
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Re: Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #7 Reaction Thread

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:21 pm

I rather liked it, it's funny how people complained here and there about the lack of humans, but there was certainly some human developments of some sort here. I like that our human characters are finally interacting with the aliens. I wonder how crazy all of this is going to end up being (Earth/Devonian/Yog Battle (Or Yagh, or however it's spelled).
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Jorzilla » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Reading this series makes me really want a more intimate Godzilla story. It doesn't necessarily need to follow humans, but focus on one or two other monster's and keep the story simple.

So far this series has been nothing but a conveyor belt of monster action. while I enjoy the artwork and the fights, I want something with a little more substance. Maybe I'm critiquing the wrong medium, but Half Century War was the same way. When Space Godzilla, Godzilla and Mechagodzilla were in the three-way fight, while cool, I was rolling my eyes.
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:13 am

Jorzilla wrote:Reading this series makes me really want a more intimate Godzilla story. It doesn't necessarily need to follow humans, but focus on one or two other monster's and keep the story simple.

So far this series has been nothing but a conveyor belt of monster action. while I enjoy the artwork and the fights, I want something with a little more substance. Maybe I'm critiquing the wrong medium, but Half Century War was the same way. When Space Godzilla, Godzilla and Mechagodzilla were in the three-way fight, while cool, I was rolling my eyes.

I'm just now starting to get into the IDW stuff, so I haven't read much of anything yet. But just from what I've seen, that's kinda been a concern of mine for these comics. Every new issue seems to have like 4 new monsters duking it out. I like that they're bringing in other monsters, especially guys like Gezora and Gaira, but do these comics ever stop to tell a story? How are there like 50 monsters per issue? That's a sincere question from someone who hasn't read them yet (although I'm starting to read them).
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby klen7 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:13 am

MouthForWar wrote:
Jorzilla wrote:Reading this series makes me really want a more intimate Godzilla story. It doesn't necessarily need to follow humans, but focus on one or two other monster's and keep the story simple.

I'm just now starting to get into the IDW stuff, so I haven't read much of anything yet. But just from what I've seen, that's kinda been a concern of mine for these comics. Every new issue seems to have like 4 new monsters duking it out. I like that they're bringing in other monsters, especially guys like Gezora and Gaira, but do these comics ever stop to tell a story? How are there like 50 monsters per issue? That's a sincere question from someone who hasn't read them yet (although I'm starting to read them).

[opinion]I would prefer the world building and character development, but I think RoE is what the comic franchise NEEDS now. KoM failed at character development, and alienated people with its world building while HGM failed at character development and failed worse at pacing.. and neither delivered on any sort of monster on monster action until they had already hemorrhaged readership.. so with ROE the monster action is a lot of fun, and no one has accused a single issue of filler yet. So yes, there is a story in RoE but its pretty light. In exchange we have a monthly series that is worth picking up as a monthly because it has decent pacing, guaranteed action and the characters aren't doing ridiculous things issue after issue. More intimate series like The Walking Dead are great, and I want a series like that for Godzilla, but the truth is that even i would trade wait that, and the sales numbers aren't enough to support any more drops in readership.[/opinion]
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Pkmatrix » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:58 pm

MouthForWar wrote:I'm just now starting to get into the IDW stuff, so I haven't read much of anything yet. But just from what I've seen, that's kinda been a concern of mine for these comics. Every new issue seems to have like 4 new monsters duking it out. I like that they're bringing in other monsters, especially guys like Gezora and Gaira, but do these comics ever stop to tell a story? How are there like 50 monsters per issue? That's a sincere question from someone who hasn't read them yet (although I'm starting to read them).

Once you're past Kingdom of Monsters, this isn't really that much of a problem. Gangsters and Goliaths is very character-centric and the only monsters that play a real part in the story are Mothra and, to a lesser extent, Godzilla. Only the last issue becomes a bit of a monsterfest, but even then it's a bit more...in the background. HCW is similar-ish...the first couple issues are limited, monster-wise, the third has a lot of monsters but only in the background, and the last couple have more monster focus but on only two or three at a time. Most issues of Legends are the most story-centric. The Titanosaurus issue, for instance, features him for only a short time and spends most of its story focusing on the human characters (personally, that's my favorite story from Legends). Rulers of Earth is doing much better than either KoM or HGM, although it seems to swing back and forth between story/character-heavy issues and monster/action-heavy issues.
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:15 pm

klen7 wrote:I would prefer the world building and character development, but I think RoE is what the comic franchise NEEDS now. KoM failed at character development,

I couldn't agree more. KOM's idea of character development was political commentary and killing of Lady Gaga. ROE is giving us some much needed action from the monsters. I actually kinda like it. The last issue was ok, but it was still fun and seems to be heading to a specific conflict down the line.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:46 pm

Well you indeed make some very good points about the lack of character development in the first 2 ongoings (especially KOM), you couldn't be more far off the mark in regards to HCW. The character of Ota Murakami was fleshed out very well and was one of the most intriguing human characters ever seen in any Godzilla comic. I'm not really sure why you would lump HCW with IDW's lackluster ongoings...it was far more than just a "conveyor belt of monster action"...

Hybrid Gojira wrote:
klen7 wrote:I would prefer the world building and character development, but I think RoE is what the comic franchise NEEDS now. KoM failed at character development,

I couldn't agree more. KOM's idea of character development was political commentary and killing of Lady Gaga. ROE is giving us some much needed action from the monsters. I actually kinda like it. The last issue was ok, but it was still fun and seems to be heading to a specific conflict down the line.

Right on the money with both of these posts. If a comic is not going to have well developed human characters, then it damn well better have something exciting going on in its place, which would be an apt description of ROE. That was the biggest crime of the first 2 on-goings in that both the humans *&* kaiju were underdeveloped (though in fairness, the 2nd ongoing finally got it's act together in the last 2-3 issues, but it was too little, too late).

I also think that the whole "lack of character development" argument,while indeed having some merit, is also being blown out of proportion in regards to ROE. This is Godzilla, not Shakespeare, and while I do definitely think that well developed human characters are important, I really don't need to see their tortured past, dark childhood, their inner id, and all that jazz in order to make a decent G comic. The characters in ROE, while definitely not as well developed as they could be, are at least serving their purpose in moving the story forward, which is obviously focused on the monsters (whose character development was criminally neglected in the first 2 ongoings...this is the first ongoing in which Godzilla actually has a personality). And it's not like the human characters have zero character development just because their entire background stories/tortured souls aren't fully revealed in a single issue, and their personalities are slowly/gradually being built over time (albeit they definitely could pick up the pace a bit in that regard)....

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby Jorzilla » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:31 am

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:

Well you indeed make some very good points about the lack of character development in the first 2 ongoings (especially KOM), you couldn't be more far off the mark in regards to HCW. The character of Ota Murakami was fleshed out very well and was one of the most intriguing human characters ever seen in any Godzilla comic. I'm not really sure why you would lump HCW with IDW's lackluster ongoings...it was far more than just a "conveyor belt of monster action"...
HCW felt incredibly short. After reading the trade back I basically said, "That's it?"

There's two things going on with my comment on conveyor-belt:

1) Character Development. I agree that HCW has this, but it's still felt very rushed. Each issues felt like it should have been a trade in itself, instead it felt like a quick highlight reel of an interesting story.

2) Monster fights. HCW still has this problem with, rather than focusing on a few set pieces, they continue to throw monsters on the page. I'd rather have an issue long fight scene between Godzilla and ONE worthy foe. Not Godzilla, and Kiryu, and Gigan, and King Ghidorah, etc.

I will admit that after hearing all the praise of HCW, I had high expectations. Part of me feels that it's simply because the bar had been set previously so low. I wanted something that I could potentially show a comic or sci-fi fan and have them enjoy it. What I got with HCW was more fan service. I'll use the MG, Space G and Godzilla example again: none of those monsters existence was really that well explained or framed properly for the significance. If your a Godzilla fan you think, "Oh WOW!, these two iconic symbols of the Heisei series on page in a three way fight!" If you're not a Godzilla fan, all you know is that some device somehow called a spooky SPACE!!!! Godzilla, and this ROBOT!!! Godzilla is also going to be in the fight. While I know that the audience is probably going to have an idea of these characters, from a zero information perspective neither of these concepts were properly framed. The same complaint can be levied against the Dimension Tide and Kiryu in the last issue.

I would really like to see a comic pick no more than a handful of monsters, with some interesting abilities and focus on them for a few issues or a trade. Make me invested emotionally in the fight more than superficial action. Ironically the only comic to do this well was the Titanosaurus issue of Legends. While probably the most 'boring' of the comics, the world building that they did was VERY interesting. I wanted to know MORE about what was going to happen to the Simian characters.

Anyways, this is the end of my rant. I think HCW is good, but not amazing.
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:07 am

I can see where your coming from (especially from the trade perspective) with the last issue and Dimension Tide. I thought the first three issues were pretty accessible by anyone and the fourth issue was just the escalation of that. Also the interior artwork was enough to get someone like Mrs Klen7 to actually read a G comic.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:51 am

I respect your opinion Jorzilla, but sorry, I couldn't disagree with you more regarding HCW. No biggie, different strokes for different folks.

Anyways, time to get back on topic with reviews of issue 7.

Here is a review from a frequent poster from the TK boards. Word of caution though, I find that this guy tends to be too much of a homer in regards to the IDW comics in general and often lacks objectively in his reviews, so always take what he says with a huge helping of salt, but his review here is a little more even-handed than usual:

http://mr-x-the-kaiju-freak.deviantart. ... -420641338

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby Pkmatrix » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:05 pm

Finally got to read this! Really enjoyed it. ^_^ I continue to really love the way Godzilla and Gigan are being depicted in this series, I've grown really fond of Gigan and a reoccurring villain! As for Jet Jaguar, I've no issue with him at all, especially once I realized...

Spoiler Below:
...that he's a stand-in for Ultraman. AWESOME!

Part of what really makes RoE work so much better than the previous ongoings, IMO, is that this series has clear heroes AND villains. You can't just have the monsters going around smashing stuff and the heroes always just reacting to that, you need something for everyone - men and monsters - to struggle against. That's partly why Gangsters and Goliaths worked, and partly why Half Century War worked, and also partly why just about all of Legends worked. They had villains! The villains in this series are fun to read and have cool designs, giving the heroes stuff to do! Yeah, there's a lot going on, but I'm enjoying it all so much that I don't really mind. 8)

Can't wait until #8!
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:03 pm

YouTube review of issue #7:

phpBB [media]

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Return to Godzilla in Print