Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #1 Reaction Thread

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #1 Reaction Thread

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:43 am

Post your thoughts/comments here. Here is a review from TohoKingdom:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/comics/idw_g ... th_01.html

First issue from the new creative team, backed by artist Matt Frank from Godzilla Legends #1 and writer Chris Mowry from Godzilla Legends #4, and the series is off to a good, energetic start, packed with action and incredible art, although feeling a little light in the character department.

For the plot, the submarine USS Wimbish is tracking a creature headed toward Honolulu that might be Godzilla. As fate would have it, the vicinity is hosting a National Megazoology Conference for enthusiasts to try and track and learn more about the rash rise in kaiju. Meanwhile, Gigan emerges far from the Grand Canyon, having survived his battle with Rodan and Anguirus in Godzilla #12. However, the cyborg is not alone...

All in all, the story plays clean up by addressing the who and what for the various monsters following the closure of the previous series after Godzilla #13 (yet to be released... although no real spoilers for the series other than which monsters survive). The issue has a couple of great action moments, which I will go into in a moment, and introduces readers to Lucy Casprell, a kaiju enthusiast. I assume Lucy will be reoccurring due to the early focus, but the issue is really lacking on a compelling hook for the character who at this point feels very vapid and if there is something more interesting to her it's not being teased at.

That said, I have held back on spoilers, but the barrage is about to be unleashed so please turn back now to avoid them. That out of the way, the other major character of the book is Steven Woods, last seen returning Mechagodzilla to the president way back in Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters #10. However, the characterization feels a little off, more like Boxer who was rough and in your face rather than the more cold and distant personality that Steven Woods had.

To continue with the spoilers, it's time to talk about the art, and Matt Frank really hits one out of the park with this issue. Since Godzilla Legends #1, the human art has greatly improved, while still a little rough it looks leaps and bounds ahead of the more Anime style seen last year. Where Matt really shines is the kaiju, and this comic does not disappoint there. The personal highlight for me was the fantastic and creative Kumonga vs. Gigan fight. Frank is excellent with the details here, including the cracked visor on Gigan from his earlier tussle with Rodan, while the webbed lair of Kumonga is excellent and leads to six pages of bliss with a great battle between the two. Frank also packs the issue with a lot of Easter eggs for fans, from the obvious Gotengo model, to stuff you will really have to look to find, such as the Shockirus from The Return of Godzilla (1984) and the Yahlen from Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966) in the two page spread.

In regards to the covers, being a series starter, this issue has a few to choose from. The lead cover is done by series artist Matt Frank and is an excellent fold cover featuring Godzilla, Gigan, Rodan, Kiryu, Mothra, Varan and Destoroyah with all of the monsters looking great and some interesting design choices for a few, with Rodan being based on the Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964) version. The first variant cover is done by fan favorite Bob Eggleton and features an amazing shot of the Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002) Godzilla swimming against a purple sky. Finally, the last variant is by Art Adams with Gigan in a style that mimics those that started in Godzilla Legends. All in all, you can't go wrong with any of the three choices to the point where it's almost impossible to pick a clear winner.

Overall, a good and satisfying start. The series could go either way from here, but is certainly packed with enough fan service to satisfy the more hardcore Godzilla crowd out there. Here is to hoping the human cast fleshes out a bit more to lead to a robust feeling to the series on both fronts as the issues keep rolling in.
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:15 pm

I picked up my copies today during lunch... then read them in the car before returning to work... I have to disagree with the "vapid" description of Lucy, she is being written like a normal person rather than a Jason Statham or Richard Branson clone, which is a refreshing change for the ongoing

Definitely a better issue 1 than the last ongoing and a ton of nods to the fans that will have you rereading more than once looking for Easter eggs.

Things I liked:
- Lots of Easter Eggs
- Non-cliche characters
- Continuity (handling)

Things I didn't like:
- Human full body armor (my biggest complaint of the issue)
- Continuity (maintaining)

Other thoughts:
- We'll see Ongoing issue 13 before we see issue 2...
- Why is everyone in Hawaii, I wouldn't be getting on a flight of that length with Rodan on the loose... Also there is a lot more room to run in the CONUS... but i guess this could be a nod to the island films of the Showa era
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:09 pm

I loved this. I absolutely loved this.

FINALLY this feels like a world in which kaiju exist. Something that felt
completely overlooked in the ongoing (other than some mention in the construction of buildings in issue 1)

I loved Stokoe's stuff, but Matt is the top banana...zilla...thing.
Sorry, I'm writing this while watching Adventure Time, so..

ZOMG the easter eggs.
Tis' wonderful.

References
Pg. 1 - Hedorah's attack from the Ongoing
Pg. 2 - Shokilas
Pg. 4 - Atragon/Age of the Gods/Gorosaurus/MechaGodzilla (Heisei design) Toy/Sgt. Wood's parents in photograph/photograph of Allie
Pg. 5 - National Megazoology Conference - G-Fest reference/Room 1954
Pg. 7 - ??Reference to Gigan getting his butt handed to him by Rodan and Angilas??
Pg. 12 Dr. Kenji Ando (From KOM finally named) - Name of Takehiro Murata's character from Godzilla vs. Mothra
Pg. 13 - Lots of kaiju fan references, bunch of Lobsterdance people amongst others
Pg. 15 - GINO arrives with the same kind of wave he caused in the 98 film.
Pg. 18 - Trilobite on Lucy's vest. Given everything else it HAS to be a reference to the Trilobite found on Odo Island
Pg. 20 - Sgt. Woods reappears

I've probably missed some things.

OH, and it looks like we gonna git some aliems.

What's wrong with the human full body armor?
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:18 pm

Whats the point of the body armor? Their biggest risk is getting crushed, not shot... so sci-fi body armor not only looks out of place in the current continuity, it also makes no sense. Now we got guys running around in heavy restricting suits in a tropical environment.. Maybe they will explain them as anti-radiation suits, which would make some some sense, but the aesthetic just seems out of place in the current world.

that said, i really enjoyed the book otherwise.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:28 pm

But...should they just...wear t-shirts and jeans then? Also, what if they don't get crushed and get knocked out of the way and die because they had no armor?

YOU GOTTA THINK ABOUT THESE THINGS, MAN! YOU MIGHT HAVE KILLED TOM!

The aesthetic would feel out of place had this not been the same world that built two MechaGodzillas. Those feel out of place, somehow more so than this.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:22 pm

Ahhhh, the perks of being besties with Matt. :lol:
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:09 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:Ahhhh, the perks of being besties with Matt. :lol:

Free trip to Hawaii, and then DEATH BY GINO.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:09 am

So as many of you know, I haven't read a single IDW G-comic since KOM #4. As such, I've been asking a lot of n00b questions in these threads.

So here's another one. Am I gonna have to have read all of KOM and GODZILLA to be able to get into this? This takes place after those ones, right? So I feel like I'll be stepping into something I have no real knowledge of.

Cuz all this talk about this one is making me wanna get it, but not if I need to read 30 issues of crap I don't really care about in order to do so.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:28 am

There's not much you need to know. Two characters from KOM show up, but one explains the jist of what he did in that comic and the other is just a U.S. Soldier who survived the goings-on of that particular story (He also fought Godzilla while piloting MechaGodzilla).

I'd say that's all you need to know.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:49 am

KoM: Earth Monsters rise up, ends in big monster battle. Evil shobojin die.
Ongoing: Space Monsters and Bounty Hunters show up, ends in big monster battle. Gigans visor is smashed, the rest of the monsters fates will be in issue 13, but RoE recaps most of who is still alive
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:00 am

Also, poor Kumonga. He tries to fight in the ongoing, and gets part of his leg ripped off. He fights Gigan here and gets part of it chopped off.

No wonder he just wandered around America eating people in KOM.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:39 am

I think the epilogue for the series should be a one legged Kumonga pushing himself slowly through the desert into the sunset
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:21 am

klen7 wrote:I think the epilogue for the series should be a one legged Kumonga pushing himself slowly through the desert into the sunset

I'd be okay with this.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:30 pm

At G-Fest, I'll be able to get Bob Eggleton, Matt Frank and Chris Mowry to sign the same issue #1... that will be the first book i own with a writer, interior and cover artist all signed. I think that's pretty cool
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:29 pm

MouthForWar
Controller

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:43 pm

well, the Zilla thing is nobody's fault but Toho's...so there's that.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:46 pm

Wow. That's unnecessarily harsh and I pretty much disagree with it, but it's the 2nd negative review I've seen.

The first just criticized that there weren't enough monster fights.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:32 pm

Daaaammmn

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32404 ... f-earth-1/

Reading both the negative and positive reviews really haven't made me anything more than curious. The negative reviews seem to think there's a lot of fan pandering and the positive reviews really focus on the monsters and art. It just seems like a lot of these comics sink or swim with their human characters and that seems to be a constant point of struggle for G-writers.

I'll have to read it for myself eventually, but neither the positive or the negative reviews have done much to dispel my previous theory that Godzilla/kaiju just don't adapt to comics very well... (keep in mind I say that as someone fairly ignorant to the IDW material).
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby klen7 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:45 pm

MouthForWar wrote:my previous theory that Godzilla/kaiju just don't adapt to comics very well... (keep in mind I say that as someone fairly ignorant to the IDW material).
HALF CENTURY WAR!
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:52 pm

klen7 wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:my previous theory that Godzilla/kaiju just don't adapt to comics very well... (keep in mind I say that as someone fairly ignorant to the IDW material).
HALF CENTURY WAR!

:lol:
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:11 pm

I just read the comments section on the Crave Online review and its kind of embarassing... so the guy didn't like the comic? So what? Honestly, Matt and Chris are taking the criticism better than the fans are. Blasting a guy for not liking a comic book doesn't make you look smart and its not going to get the reviewer to change his mind.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:19 pm

MouthForWar wrote:I just read the comments section on the Crave Online review and its kind of embarassing... so the guy didn't like the comic? So what? Honestly, Matt and Chris are taking the criticism better than the fans are. Blasting a guy for not liking a comic book doesn't make you look smart and its not going to get the reviewer to change his mind.

I've not looked, but there's little point in berating him on the point. If anything that wouldn't bode well for any future reviews he may do. A lot of the negative reviews I've seen are sort of...not really frustrating, but I just have to shrug at them since it feels like they looked at an entirely different comic book.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:03 am

Remember when Rotten Tomatoes had to lock the comments on their Dark Knight Rises page because critics were receiving death threats for giving it a bad review? Before the movie even came out, no less. :lol:
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby klen7 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:20 am

The reviewer ripped multiple award winning artist Becky Cloonan's artwork in his Killjoys review, so at least Matt Frank is in good company :lol:
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:02 am

klen7 wrote:
HALF CENTURY WAR!

If you do not read this series soon, we will have no choice but to destroy you.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Next

Return to Godzilla in Print