MAT #10

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

MAT #10

Postby DerGolem » Fri May 31, 2013 2:46 am

So has anyone picked this up yet, either from a retailer or by mail?

Any thoughts on it? I'm surprised there isn't a thread here for it.

http://www.captainco.com/products/monster-attack-team-1
DerGolem
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MouthForWar » Fri May 31, 2013 3:41 am

I love MAT and really wanna get this, but the 19.99 price tag is a bit much at the moment.

I REALLY Wanna support it though, I treasure my old MAT issues.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri May 31, 2013 7:05 am

I have it. Got it yesterday. Not much kaiju stuff in it, but it's got some nice Kikaider articles and some interviews with Nakajima.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:59 am

king_ghidorah wrote:Not much kaiju stuff in it
that's unfortunate, the cover articles made me a little concerned that there wouldn't be much for me, but the store description makes it sound like its Godzilla packed. I might still pick it up, but i wish it was about $11+ cheaper
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri May 31, 2013 9:27 am

Has a pretty cool Shochiku article and as a pretty big Guilala fan, that makes me pretty happy.

A lot of the mag seems to be devoted to rock bands which is kind of regrettable, even with a toku connection, I'd rather see more articles about toku itself.

But if you're not a fan of Kikaider, Power Rangers/Sentai, Metal Hero..I don't know if this is the issue for you to pick up. I'm interested in reading stuff about areas of toku I might not be familiar with, but I know a lot of people around here would rather read stuff about kaiju/Toho Sci Fi. There's not much of that to be found here save for the articles about Nakajima, which, as cool as they are, you can pretty much find the same quality of interviews in back issues of G Fan for a quarter of the price. For this price tag, I'd recommend picking up a back issue of Japanese Giants first if you just want stuff about kaiju.

I'm a completist with these mags so I don't regret buying it, but it's also hard for me to enthusiastically recommend.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby DerGolem » Fri May 31, 2013 1:24 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:I have it. Got it yesterday. Not much kaiju stuff in it, but it's got some nice Kikaider articles and some interviews with Nakajima.

I was honestly more interested in the Kyoryuger, Wizard, Gavan and Ultraman articles myself. I have enough issues of Japanese Giants, G-Fan, Kaiju Fan and Fangoria replete with Kaiju content to keep me happy. I'm honestly trying to learn more about the Henshin Hero genre right now which is why I've really enjoyed the last two Japanese themed issues of Famous Monsters (with their articles on Giant Robo, Spectralman, The Space Giants and others) and why this issue of MAT looked particularly interesting to me. The back issues of MAT I have always had great tokusatsu superhero articles in them so I was hoping for more of the same here.
DerGolem
Godzilla Jr.

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri May 31, 2013 1:40 pm

Yeah I like that about MAT, just would have liked a little more kaiju stuff.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby DerGolem » Fri May 31, 2013 6:57 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:Yeah I like that about MAT, just would have liked a little more kaiju stuff.

Well let's be honest, other the PACIFIC RIM and GODZILLA '14 there really isn't much to talk about currently. Any articles about Kaiju right now would just be the same old retrospective type pieces we've all ready a hundreds times over now.

That or do what G-FAN has and just start reporting on giant monster movies in general. But I think MAT is trying to keep things more nipponcentric.
DerGolem
Godzilla Jr.

Postby eabaker » Fri May 31, 2013 7:04 pm

DerGolem wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:Yeah I like that about MAT, just would have liked a little more kaiju stuff.

Well let's be honest, other the PACIFIC RIM and GODZILLA '14 there really isn't much to talk about currently. Any articles about Kaiju right now would just be the same old retrospective type pieces we've all ready a hundreds times over now.

That or do what G-FAN has and just start reporting on giant monster movies in general. But I think MAT is trying to keep things more nipponcentric.

You left out Ultraman Ginga.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri May 31, 2013 7:05 pm

eabaker wrote:
DerGolem wrote:

You left out Ultraman Ginga.

and the recently finished Neo Ultra Q
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri May 31, 2013 7:19 pm

There's also nothing wrong with retrospective articles. Doesn't have to be a new film or show.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Pkmatrix » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:58 am

I got it Thursday! :D

Pretty awesome, all-around. Its heavy and all-glossy, which I didn't quite expect - more like a trade paperback or a trade journal than a magazine. I've barely had a chance to dig into it, but I've flipped through a few times and the little I read seemed awesome. Mostly Sentai stuff (Kyuryuger, Kikaider, Kamen Rider, etc.) There's a big article on Nakajima I'm looking forward to reading, and a review of Ultraman Sage. As king_ghidorah said, there's not much kaiju in here but its too cool all-around for me to complain. ^_^
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Postby DerGolem » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:49 am

Pkmatrix wrote:I got it Thursday! :D

Pretty awesome, all-around. Its heavy and all-glossy, which I didn't quite expect - more like a trade paperback or a trade journal than a magazine. I've barely had a chance to dig into it, but I've flipped through a few times and the little I read seemed awesome. Mostly Sentai stuff (Kyuryuger, Kikaider, Kamen Rider, etc.) There's a big article on Nakajima I'm looking forward to reading, and a review of Ultraman Sage. As king_ghidorah said, there's not much kaiju in here but its too cool all-around for me to complain. ^_^

Just a point of clarification: Kyoryuger, Kikaider, Kamen Rider and Ultraman all belong to the Japanese genre of Henshin (Transforming) Heroes not Sentai. Sentai refers to a particular type of Henshin Hero show, those involving a team of heroes. Those shows involving a team of heroes and a giant robot are Super Sentai. Kyoryuger would be a Super Sentai.
DerGolem
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Pkmatrix » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:13 pm

DerGolem wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:I got it Thursday! :D

Just a point of clarification: Kyoryuger, Kikaider, Kamen Rider and Ultraman all belong to the Japanese genre of Henshin (Transforming) Heroes not Sentai. Sentai refers to a particular type of Henshin Hero show, those involving a team of heroes. Those shows involving a team of heroes and a giant robot are Super Sentai. Kyoryuger would be a Super Sentai.

Bah, I always get it mixed up! :oops:
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Chris55 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:44 am

Pkmatrix wrote: There's a big article on Nakajima I'm looking forward to reading,

Hey how'd my shots come out? I haven't gotten my comp copy yet
Chris55
Godzilla Jr.

Re: MAT #10

Postby klen7 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:32 am

Midtown Comics has this on sale for $12 today ($8 off)

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.a ... 3C_1258276
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Return to Godzilla in Print