Tsuburaya Pro. All Monster Illustrated Encyclopedia

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Tsuburaya Pro. All Monster Illustrated Encyclopedia

Postby kiryugoji04 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:19 pm

I cannot even begin to express just how much I need this book in my life. Published in honor of Tsuburaya Production's 50th Anniversary next month, this book is a compendium featuring every Tsuburaya creature ever, from 1966's ULTRA Q to this years's NEO ULTRA Q. All of them. All 2,500 (or more) of them.

Every.

Single.

One.

In short:

I shall be ordering this posthaste. Or at least as soon as I have some disposable income. Luckily, the exchange rate has improved immensely since the last time I was shopping on Amazon Japan!
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Thats pretty cool, not a bad price either if its full color
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:56 am

That looks exactly like the type of thing I've been wanting. I got a 25th Anniversary Ultraman book published in 1991 that had everything from Ultra Q-Great, but this would be the follow-up I've been looking for
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Eleking » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:23 pm

I have to say, if you want to get it, compare shipping at HLJ first.

http://www.hlj.com/product/SGK82074

If you're outside Japan, Amazon's DHL only international shipping will murder you. It cost me $35.00 shipping for 4 manga volumes in December. That's the only option they give you now.

(it just went backordered, sorry)
Eleking
Little Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:37 pm

I'm really, REALLY, thinking of getting this...
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Huh, this would be a pretty cool thing to have. Is there also something similar with Toho? A Encyclopedia of the monsters or something? Would rather want to order a few things from Japan then just one to save on shipping.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:45 pm

^with every Godzilla movie release there was at least one book (possibly more) that covered all of the monsters. I have a Hesei one from 1991 (G vs King Ghidora) and I got my son one from Final Wars . They are much easier and less expensive to get than the Ultraman books
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:59 pm

O.Supreme wrote:^with every Godzilla movie release there was at least one book (possibly more) that covered all of the monsters. I have a Hesei one from 1991 (G vs King Ghidora) and I got my son one from Final Wars . They are much easier and less expensive to get than the Ultraman books

Yeah, I have the FINAL WARS book... I was more wondering if there was a big book like this Ultraman one that covers all of them.(Instead of buying a bunch of single ones.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:13 pm

You wouldn't need to buy a bunch of single ones. Most Godzila books include photos of all the Toho monsters simply because there aren't as many of them as there are Ultra Monsters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GODZILLA-Monste ... 43b90d4b58

This is your best bet for something like that. This particular auction is really expensive, but at least you know what book to look for.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Eleking wrote:I have to say, if you want to get it, compare shipping at HLJ first.

http://www.hlj.com/product/SGK82074

If you're outside Japan, Amazon's DHL only international shipping will murder you. It cost me $35.00 shipping for 4 manga volumes in December. That's the only option they give you now.

(it just went backordered, sorry)

I'd be having shipped to a friend in Japan and he'd bring it to me the next time he's in the states. Problem solved. :)

Cookson wrote:
O.Supreme wrote:^with every Godzilla movie release there was at least one book (possibly more) that covered all of the monsters. I have a Hesei one from 1991 (G vs King Ghidora) and I got my son one from Final Wars . They are much easier and less expensive to get than the Ultraman books

Yeah, I have the FINAL WARS book... I was more wondering if there was a big book like this Ultraman one that covers all of them.(Instead of buying a bunch of single ones.

To my knowledge, there's nothing quite on this scale and nothing quite as high quality. At least not in terms of monster encyclopedias. If you're just focusing on movie monsters (since Toho's television tokusatsu aren't as high-exposure as TPC's), there aren't nearly as many monsters to cover. Fewer than 100, probably. This book is every TPC creation ever, tallying up to over 2500 entries. I guess what I'm saying is it just kind of makes more sense for the TPC menagerie to get something like this over Toho's.
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:17 pm

I wonder if the Ultra Q stuff will be the colorized versions or the b/w? Hurm...

Makes no difference to me. I think they did a fine job with the colorization, but I'm fine with the b/w as well.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:22 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:I wonder if the Ultra Q stuff will be the colorized versions or the b/w? Hurm...

Makes no difference to me. I think they did a fine job with the colorization, but I'm fine with the b/w as well.

I can't find any images of the Ultra Q section but all the photos from Q that can be seen (the cover, a collage spread from the interior) are presented in black and white.
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:28 pm

Makes sense and it's probably for the better. As cool as the colorizations are, they're kind of a novelty. The classic b/w images from Ultra Q can never really be replaced. I just thought that Tsuburaya might stick with the colorization because they seemed really proud of the restoration (as they should be), but they're not Lucasfilm (replacing the original versions with newer, modified versions) apparently and that's commendable.

Anywho, I'm preordering this today. Ultra kaiju are some of my favorite creations in any medium. Strange to think that 5 years ago or so I didn't really know much of anything about Ultraman :lol:
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Where is the cheapest place to get this US domestic? I don't mind the wait for SAL if it saves me $10+
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:02 pm

I just went with HLJ. It's backordered, hopefully they'll get more in stock.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Legion wrote:You wouldn't need to buy a bunch of single ones. Most Godzila books include photos of all the Toho monsters simply because there aren't as many of them as there are Ultra Monsters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GODZILLA-Monste ... 43b90d4b58

This is your best bet for something like that. This particular auction is really expensive, but at least you know what book to look for.

:eek: That's the book I got for my son in Japan Town San Francisco only two years ago for $25.00
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:43 pm

I really wish I could afford that Tsuburaya book. It looks lovely.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:44 am

I'm sure we'll all post pics when we get our copies so for those of you who can't afford it, don't worry, I'll try and do requests (for instance if there's a particular monster you're interested in).

I just hope my "Backorder" status on HLJ actually culminates in me recieving a copy. I don't have the best of luck with backordering things.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Nevermind, I just got charged for the book, shipping soon :D
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Eleking » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:20 am

Here's my favorite Ultra Kaiju reference book series

http://www.amazon.co.jp/決定版-全ウルトラ怪獣完全超百科-ウルトラQ%7Eウルトラマンパワード編-テレビマガジンデラックス-164/dp/4063045668/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363699422&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co.jp/決定版-全ウルトラ怪獣完全超百科-ウルトラマンティガ%7Eウルトラマンマックス編-テレビマガシンデラックス-講談社/dp/4063045684/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363699579&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co.jp/決定版-全ウルトラ怪獣完全超百科-ウルトラマンメビウス%7Eウルトラマンゼロ編-テレビマガジンデラックス-講談社/dp/4063048128/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363699422&sr=1-3

They're the same series as the Godzilla book mentioned above. All full color. The first book covers Q to Powered, the 2nd Tiga to Max, 3rd is Mebius to Ultraman Zero & Mirrorman, Fireman, Jumborg ace. All of them are still in print. HLJ sells them as Ultra Monsters Complete if you search there.

Anybody know a good one for Rider & Sentai monsters?
Eleking
Little Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Eleking wrote:Here's my favorite Ultra Kaiju reference book series

http://www.amazon.co.jp/決定版-全ウルトラ怪獣完全超百科-ウルトラQ%7Eウルトラマンパワード編-テレビマガジンデラックス-164/dp/4063045668/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363699422&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co.jp/決定版-全ウルトラ怪獣完全超百科-ウルトラマンティガ%7Eウルトラマンマックス編-テレビマガシンデラックス-講談社/dp/4063045684/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363699579&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co.jp/決定版-全ウルトラ怪獣完全超百科-ウルトラマンメビウス%7Eウルトラマンゼロ編-テレビマガジンデラックス-講談社/dp/4063048128/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363699422&sr=1-3

They're the same series as the Godzilla book mentioned above. All full color. The first book covers Q to Powered, the 2nd Tiga to Max, 3rd is Mebius to Ultraman Zero & Mirrorman, Fireman, Jumborg ace. All of them are still in print. HLJ sells them as Ultra Monsters Complete if you search there.

Anybody know a good one for Rider & Sentai monsters?

Yeah, I have the first two of those but the big, shiny, hardcover aspect of this new one is ridiculously appealing to the book nerd in me.
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:34 pm

I have all three but this new edition looks to be a little bit of an improvement.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:27 pm

Just got mine in the mail...not very impressed, the pics are all kind of small and some aren't very clear. I'm kind of glad I have it as it's a one-stop source for Ultra kaiju info...but my older books won't be going anywhere.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:48 pm

^That's too bad. I decided to purchase it a few days ago myself (found one on eBay) should be here in about 10 days.

I have an awesome Ultraman 25th anniversary book, which I can't find any pictures of online to show you guys :oops: But I hope this new book will be at least of similiar fashion plus I get caught up on 25 more years of Ultra-Series photos. 8-).

king_ghidorah- since this "technically" is a TPC book, how well does it cover other series (Mirror Man, Fire Man, Gridman etc...) or does it all??
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:02 pm

See, that's one reason why I'm glad I own this book because I think it does a pretty good job of covering the non-Ultra series.

It's just that for the Ultra kaiju themselves, I think I already had some better literature on them.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Next

Return to Godzilla in Print