New IDW Godzilla: Rulers of Earth June 2013

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Pkmatrix » Wed May 22, 2013 9:49 am

The Real McCoy wrote:I think Ben's explanation pretty much mirrors mine; that story had so much potential, but they dragged it out waaaay too much. It's like they ran out of sh*t to write about so they just started throwing garbage in there.

And I still don't like Gane's art very much.

I've enjoyed Vol. 2 more than KOM, but I agree with this a bit. At times, Vol. 2 reads like it was meant to be another 5-issue miniseries like G&G or HCW, but was stretched out to 12 issues. There's a lot of good in there and the story had tons of potential, but I don't think it quite lived up to what it COULD have been.
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed May 22, 2013 12:15 pm

I've been thinking about how the current ongoing series could have been condensed to tell the story in fewer issues. Here's what I've come up with:

Issue #1 - Boxer assembles the kaiju bounty hunters: Claire, Urv, Harrison, and a redshirt. Boxer's backstory about losing his daughter is shown in flashback, providing his motivation. Urv is fully on board, and his backstory shows why, but the rest of the team is reluctant at first until an encounter with Godzilla leaves one of them dead, solidifying the remaining members in their mission.

Issue #2 - The team takes on Anguirus, scoring their first victory. Kumonga and Battra follow suit, but Rodan escapes. Claire's backstory is provided. On their way to Titanosaurus, they encounter Mothra like in issue #6 and the Shobijin warn them to stop. Mothra gives Claire the vision of dark monsters befalling the planet. The issue ends with the revelation that the monsters the team has neutralized are being confined to Monster Island.

Issue #3 - Rodan vs. Titanosaurus plays out like in issue #4, with Titanosaurus captured and Rodan escaping again. The backstory for Harrison would unfold here. When the team attempts to go for Godzilla, they encounter Mechagodzilla like in issue #5. The issue ends with the space monsters descending from the sky.

Issue #4 - As Earth is ravaged, Boxer and his team break the kaiju out of Monster Island. This would more or less be what is the existing issue #10.

Issues #5, #6, maybe #7 - These would play out like the existing #11 and the upcoming #12 and #13, assuming they don't scream the need to be whittled down.

The story would have began with the May 2012 issue and concluded in October or November 2012.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:08 pm

I think you're right that this could have been a 6 issue arc (SINGLE trade paperback, IDW I'm looking at you... only four 22 page issues in a TPB instead of 6 c'mon...but that's another rant.) It probably would have helped the pacing at least.

Benjamin Haines wrote:The story would have began with the May 2012 issue and concluded in October or November 2012.
you forgot to take into account the inevitable delays and missed deadlines that have been featured almost as commonly as Battra with these comics :lol:
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:12 am

Eggleton's wrap around for issue #1:

Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Sun May 26, 2013 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu May 23, 2013 7:59 am

Great work as always. Let's hope the disparity between Eggleton's covers (being so good) and the comic interior (being so awful) isn't as great as it was during the ongoing. I have a lot of hope for Rulers of Earth though.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sun May 26, 2013 7:16 am

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Eggleton's wrap around for issue #1:

This cover actually looks very similar to another great cover Eggleton did a long time ago for Dark Horse's Godzilla King Of The Monsters #10, but swapping the Millennium design for the Heisei design:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby RaymondBurr » Tue May 28, 2013 11:57 pm

How is it that Zornow gets crap for his "Fat Gigan" but Eggleton get away scott free with his Strange Slope-backed Godzilla? Look at the angle of Big G's back -- what's going on there? If you follow the trajectory, Godzilla has some freakish triangular shape. He must have swallowed the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame or something.

For the record, I like both of the covers. But Eggleton shouldn't get a pass just because he is awesome either.
Last edited by RaymondBurr on Wed May 29, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby MouthForWar » Wed May 29, 2013 12:09 am

I really like Zornow's Gigan. :dunno:

I also like those Eggleton covers, but I see what you're saying... Eggleton is great, but he's not infallible either.

And as much as I like his Manda/Gezora cover, I'm still not sure I know what Manda is doing to that ship or why Gezora has a tentacle coming out of it... are they both supposed to be holding the ship or something? Am I just stupid?

I do love that cover though (its actually my current wallpaper on my phone).
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:23 am

MouthForWar wrote:And as much as I like his Manda/Gezora cover, I'm still not sure I know what Manda is doing to that ship or why Gezora has a tentacle coming out of it... are they both supposed to be holding the ship or something? Am I just stupid?

Yeah! And what about Scarecrow's brain?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:47 pm

ROE is coming out the last week of June
Bobby Curnow wrote:All signs point to June 26th.

So even thought they seem to be maintaining this loose ongoing continuity, ROE 1 will be coming out before Ongoing 13.

Bobby Curnow wrote:What's also likely is that G#13 will come out after ROE #1, which is not ideal. My petition to utilize domestic printer for G#13 was denied.

Shouldn't be too big of a deal though, you'll be able to hop on board ROE #1 just fine.

Which means that the ongoing is missing June, which is yet another delay to add to the list that have plagued this series.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Thu May 30, 2013 4:21 pm

Man... I was hoping to have June end with the ongoing behind us and full speed ahead with RoE...
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu May 30, 2013 4:40 pm

WHY WON'T THIS ONGOING DIEEEEE?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 am

Bobby Curnow wrote:What's also likely is that G#13 will come out after ROE #1, which is not ideal. My petition to utilize domestic printer for G#13 was denied.

Shouldn't be too big of a deal though, you'll be able to hop on board ROE #1 just fine.

This comment only further reinforces my feelings that IDW hardly gives a sh*t about this series, or any before it, at all.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:55 am

^

[rant]
I do feel like they aren't doing their best on the marketing front and any subtle suggestions i make have been met with the "we don't control what's on the website" type responses. As a fan you have to do detective work to find out when these are even released, how does that help bring in new readers?

I can go to Image's website and find all the upcoming releases, the ordering ID to give to my FLCS, the variant covers and more information about the series and related series. Good luck finding any of that for an IDW book... in fact the latest IDW newsletter (which you need to subscribe to in order to even view it) which listed the weekly releases didn't even mention a Godzilla title was released this week...

Its funny, at this point i buy more Image comics than all the other companies put together.

[/rant]
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri May 31, 2013 1:17 pm

I hate IDW's website. Not just because of this comic, from years prior. I can't find out when anything comes out. I just have to check diamond distribution's release schedule each week.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:29 pm

Yeh... that's why i try to post release dates whenever i find them...not that they have been hitting those dates consistently
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:52 pm

Great art by Eggleton as usual...it's almost too bad all this artistic talent has been grouped in with some pretty bland writing and boring stories.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri May 31, 2013 4:46 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Great art by Eggleton as usual...it's almost too bad all this artistic talent has been grouped in with some pretty bland writing and boring stories.

That's the sad thing with a lot of these covers. WHAT A GREAT COVER FOR AN UTTERLY FORGETTABLE BOOK!
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri May 31, 2013 8:06 pm

http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/artic ... 4.facebook

Interview with Chris Mowry, and a look at some interiors. (I don't think this has been posted yet)

MY GOD. FINALLY, A BEAUTIFUL ONGOING BOOK :D

Even better is that they're doing short story arcs 1-4, or 1-2 issues.
Last edited by MekaGojira3k on Fri May 31, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Mowry » Fri May 31, 2013 8:08 pm

Haha. Glad you like what you see.

Best thing about that is that there's a lot more stuff that happens in this issue. Matt and I have some really fun stuff lined up, but we're also aiming to please.
Mowry
Godzilla Egg

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri May 31, 2013 8:13 pm

Mowry wrote:Matt and I have some really fun stuff lined up, but we're also aiming to please.

It looks like it's on course to do just that. :D
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Mowry » Fri May 31, 2013 8:15 pm

That's really good to hear. Thanks for the support!
Mowry
Godzilla Egg

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:58 pm

From the IDW board:

Advance copies delivered to the IDW studio just minutes ago!

As mentioned earler, there' an interview with writer Chris Mowry along with sone images from issue#1): http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/artic ... 0.facebook

Still not digging GINO's appearance in this *at all*. Hopefully, his appearance in these comics will be very short-lived...

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri May 31, 2013 11:23 pm

I love that GINO is in this. GINO is more the cartoon character than the 98 film for me. That cartoon series was great, so I don't have quite the hate for the design/character others do. I still loathe the 98 movie.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:42 pm

Cartoon GINO would actually be fairly worthy of the Godzilla name. At LEAST as much as if not more than Hanna-Barbera Zilla. Film-GINO should rot in hell.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

PreviousNext

Return to Godzilla in Print