New IDW Godzilla: Rulers of Earth June 2013

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri May 31, 2013 11:52 pm

I'd say more than HB Godzilla.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:33 am

"Wow, the Steve Woods character is back!!!! I can't wait for his return....this is gonna be SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!"

....said no one ever.
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:45 am

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:
Still not digging GINO's appearance in this *at all*. Hopefully, his appearance in these comics will be very short-lived...

Yeah, I'm conflicted about that myself. On the one hand, the assh*le in me enjoys how GINO is only brought up to be a joke and to basically point and laugh at how he's a Godzilla imposter.

On the other hand, I hate that he's a legitimate part of the Toho kaiju canon now. I'd rather they just forget all about GINO in general.

And if he actually proves to be a formidable foe for the real Godzilla in this comic, I'll hate it even more. I just wish this sh*tstain wasn't acknowledged anymore at all.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby The Real McCoy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:40 am

I realize that most people hate him, but after seeing the cartoon I kind of warmed up to him a lot. When I heard this news, I kind of thought "If they could make him like that in this book, then he would be okay."

I just don't hate him. I despise the movie, but the monster is okay to me.

And you know Godzilla will stomp his ass anyway; they've made Godzilla so super-powerful anymore it's crazy.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:57 am

The fact that the monster was pretty much born out of complete contempt for the Godzilla character is what bothers me about him being a legit Toho kaiju now. Leave this entire ordeal in the past. Don't try to legitimize it. Final Wars said all there is to say about this thing... lets leave him there.

I know the cartoon was a great improvement of the character, which is great... they did all they could to make up for the hateful film that he came from.

But in the end, do I want to see this thing pose a formidable threat to the real Godzilla? No... If the two are going to interact, treat him like the joke he is... better yet, just keep him away from it.

That being said, I do have all the faith in the world for Matt and Chris to make it cool. I'd have nobody else on the job. I'm looking forward to the book.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby klen7 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:05 am

Mowry wrote:Haha. Glad you like what you see.

Best thing about that is that there's a lot more stuff that happens in this issue. Matt and I have some really fun stuff lined up, but we're also aiming to please.
Hmmm Chris is on the boards, now he'll get to see all the horribly critical things i write here that i don't write on the IDW boards :lol:

MouthForWar wrote:On the other hand, I hate that he's a legitimate part of the Toho kaiju canon now. I'd rather they just forget all about GINO in general.
That damage is done at this point, things like this comic just help cement the idea that Zilla is not Godzilla, he is a separate creature altogether. (someone wiser than me said that more eloquently somewhere in these forums already, and it was one of those rare situations where someone on the internet convinced me to change my stance on something)
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Pkmatrix » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:09 am

I disagree with that, MfW. IMO, the best way to deal with the character isn't to bury him, but to embrace him as something different and figure out ways to incorporate him as a new character in a way that makes him fit in. I'm really happy Mowry and Frank are including Zilla in RoE for that reason: the cartoon proved that there is potential to be tapped, and I'm glad someone is willing to try it out.

EDIT:

klen7 wrote:That damage is done at this point, things like this comic just help cement the idea that Zilla is not Godzilla, he is a separate creature altogether. (someone wiser than me said that more eloquently somewhere in these forums already, and it was one of those rare situations where someone on the internet convinced me to change my stance on something)

Exactly. Would we rather try to bury Zilla and get angry every time someone ignorantly confuses him for Godzilla, or would we rather reshape Zilla into something separate and different that nobody would confuse for Godzilla ever again? If we do the latter, I'd rather Zilla be something WORTHWHILE and not a useless throwaway gag. The treatment in GFW was cathartic, but not what we needed: a longer fight that defined the two as absolutely separate AND once-and-for-all divorced the atrocious Zilla '98 from the cool Cartoon and Toho incarnations.
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:29 am

Kind of a dumb idea, but they should give him a new name. "Zilla" sounds so dumb, and it does exactly what everybody hates; it ties him to the real Godzilla. If he is to be a separate character, then make him a separate character; at least just call him "The Monster" or something.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Pkmatrix » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:14 pm

The Real McCoy wrote:Kind of a dumb idea, but they should give him a new name. "Zilla" sounds so dumb, and it does exactly what everybody hates; it ties him to the real Godzilla. If he is to be a separate character, then make him a separate character; at least just call him "The Monster" or something.

I can agree with that. Iguanasaurus, maybe? :P
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Mowry » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:02 pm

klen7 wrote:Hmmm Chris is on the boards, now he'll get to see all the horribly critical things i write here that i don't write on the IDW boards

Haha. I'm telling!

No, please be critical. How else am I (or anyone else really) supposed to know if we're hitting our mark or not? While my bosses may look at numbers as a determining factor in whether a book is doing well or not, I like to read fan reaction.
Mowry
Godzilla Egg

Postby MouthForWar » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:29 pm

Everyone already knew he wasn't anything like Godzilla anyway though, so the "this just shows he's different" thing doesn't mean much to me.

I'd rather he is just totally discarded.

And I'm not a big fan of the name Zilla either. I get why Kitamura coined it and the sentiment is nice (that the character took the "god" out of Godzilla) but it sounds awkward as a name for another character in the Godzilla universe.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:32 pm

I still just call him GINO.
Zilla is too close. :lol:

I don't see a need to discard him. He's a really cool character in the TV show which, to me, is far larger in my mind than the 98 movie is. So why not utilize him as an extra kaiju? We can't erase the 98 movie, so why pretend it never happened? At least as an extra kaiju he's a cool design and actually contributing something positive to the franchise.

Now you guys need to add C-Rex from Godzilla: TAS
(I have no idea how the rights would work for that.)
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:55 am

MouthForWar wrote:Everyone already knew he wasn't anything like Godzilla anyway though, so the "this just shows he's different" thing doesn't mean much to me.

I'd rather he is just totally discarded.

And I'm not a big fan of the name Zilla either. I get why Kitamura coined it and the sentiment is nice (that the character took the "god" out of Godzilla) but it sounds awkward as a name for another character in the Godzilla universe.

We rarely agree on anything, but I'm with you 100% on this topic.

Recently, I've noticed several comments always pop up in support of GINO/Zilla/Fred:

1. "If you remove 'Godzilla' from the title, then GINO is actually a cool kaiju, and the film is a good kaiju flick!"....eh, nope, sorry. Remove "Godzilla" from the title, and it's still a horrible film and a very lame kaiju design. His face looks like Samba from the Lion King for Christ's sake.

2. "Well, the cartoon series was cool! So that makes GINO acceptable!"...if that makes people feel better about GINO, then more power to them. To me, his cartoon appearance is no different than Bagan/Krystalak/Obsidious' appearances in video games...it's completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

3. "This is a chance to legitimize him and embrace him in the Godzilla Universe and make him cool!"....again, who cares whether a universally despised creation is ever "taken seriously" in the genre? :?: Who would actually lose sleep over this? All that GINO/Zilla/Billy Bob's appearance does is take panel space away from *Real* TOHO most fans would rather see, and since this is currently scheduled to only be 12 issues, every panel is precious.

Look, I'm not trying to be a downer, as I am legitimately excited about this series (Gezora, Manda, Varan, possibly Gorosaurus...what fan wouldn't be excited by this?) and I think it has the potential to be a very solid series. And believe it or not, I'm not even opposed to GINO making a short appearance/cameo. But two issues of him along with having Godzilla "recover from his battle wounds" is a bit much to stomach, and making him supposedly "badass" in a comic isn't going to change most people's perception of him

Edit: God, I hate typing from iPhones!
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:59 am

For once I agree with you as well, ebirahsmeg1.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby klen7 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:00 am

I think we can dub ebirahsmeg's plan as "Operation Gabara: Code Dorat"
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Real McCoy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:47 am

I just felt the need to explain my stance on that subject because I feel like a minority when it comes to Zilla. Crappy movie, Neato monster.

In other words, I don't want you guys to think I'm a complete DOUCHE for liking Zilla.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:58 pm

Terrible movie with or without the name Godzilla attached to it. I've come to accept that. It's a bad ripoff of Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, Gojira, and Jurassic Park, and the climax (and much of the movie as a whole, honestly) is absolutely RIFE with goofs.

Not terrible monster design. I think some parts of the way it was brought to the screen made it worse than the actual design itself. Honestly, I think GINO looks better in Final Wars than he does in his own movie.

Cool cartoon.

Ultimately, I don't really care either way if he is or isn't featured in Godzilla stuff in the future, because I think it's a design that is decent, and in terms of the pantheon of Godzilla foes, there's an agility and speed that is actually kinda unique.

But the name Zilla is stupid as hell. It should either have been changed entirely to something like Iguanalogonomonon or they shoulda gone with GINO.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby The Real McCoy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:05 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:But the name Zilla is stupid as hell. It should either have been changed entirely to something like Iguanalogonomonon or they shoulda gone with GINO.

Say that five times real fast and you get a cookie.

And I think it's cool that people feel the same way that I do about the name. GINO is a dumb name too, in my opinion. Sounds like an Italian mobster or something.
The Real McCoy
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:32 pm

Kaijucast's latest episode features an interview with Matt Frank and Chris Mowry about the series.
http://kaijucast.com/2013/06/05/06-05-2 ... ris-mowry/

There's nothing revelatory, but that's fine. I'm still hyped. :lol:
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Have we heard if Gezora is actually going to appear in this series?

And do we know anything about King Seesar?
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:33 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:Have we heard if Gezora is actually going to appear in this series?

Uhhh... He's on the cover...
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:36 pm

MouthForWar wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:Have we heard if Gezora is actually going to appear in this series?

That has no bearing on whether or not he'll appear in the comic though...a lot of the comics have featured kaiju on the cover that aren't featured inside.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:49 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:

That has no bearing on whether or not he'll appear in the comic though...a lot of the comics have featured kaiju on the cover that aren't featured inside.

I haven't been reading them so I didn't know that.

That's f*cking retarded.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby klen7 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:07 pm

For KOM, Cover A was indicative of what was inside and then they released variant covers (a Kaiju profile cover and for the first few issues a monster battle cover) but a lot of fans had issue with that since the cool monster battle didn't happen in the book... i preferred it because in some situations the variant covers where better than the contents... also in response to that fan complaint the "Ongoing" has a picture of Boxer (uggghhhh) on almost every issue, which means now when you get a mediocre issue you also got a mediocre cover.... So even if we never see Gezora, at least its not Boxer pointing a headache gun at Godzilla..
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:10 pm

I think (correct me if I am wrong) the only Kaiju that appeared on a cover that never appeared in the series that they were on a cover for (man that sounds confusing) was Gigan in Kingdom of Monsters. (Matt Franks Gigan cover for #10 or #11...or whatever, cant remember right now)

Sure many of the alternative/Incentive covers, mostly collected by Godzilla Art enthusiasts I would speculate, never even featured "said" Kaiju in the particular issue. IDW Transformers is guilty of this also, but at least they were involved in the series somehow.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Godzilla in Print