Ishiro Honda Bio By Ed. Godzisewski and Steve Ryfle

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Ishiro Honda Bio By Ed. Godzisewski and Steve Ryfle

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:14 pm

I'd figure I'd make a new thread to post any news/updates in, since I am tired of seeing news for Ed G/Ryfle's book appearing in the older/out of date "Honda Bio by Brothers" thread.

Not really news per say, but there was a little tid bit mentioned in this Sci-fi Japan article that was discussing the upcoming DAM R1 release...

DESTROY ALL MONSTERS includes an audio commentary track by Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski, co-authors of a forthcoming biography and film study of director Ishiro Honda, to be published by Wesleyan University Press.


I know Ed G occasionally posts on here. Any inkling on when this will go to press? Oh yeah, will there ever be another Japanese Giants? :D
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
User avatar
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2367
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:10 am
Location: Kanto Region, JAPAN

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:25 pm

Great thread! And I'm curious about this book and Japanese Giants too!!
User avatar
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 9917
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:27 am
Location: Ohio

Honda book

Postby steveryfle » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:48 pm

The book is tentatively set for publication in 2013. We're now in the manuscript writing stage. The book will place roughly equal emphasis on Honda's SF and non-SF films, as we hope to provide a broad overview of his career. We've been able to see almost all of his non-SF films, which show a very different side of Honda's work.

We've also worked out arrangements to include a lot of incredible photos, many of which (perhaps most) you haven't seen previously.

Thanks for creating this thread. We'll try to remember to come here and post updates when we have news.
steveryfle
Godzilla Egg
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:04 pm
Location: los angeles

Postby The Giant Pacific Octopus » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:59 pm

^ There he is. The man of the hour. Tower of power. The King of all Kongs and the God of all Zillas.

Creator of the best English language book ever written on the big G.

Okay enough ass-kissing. Welcome aboard and I can't wait for that book. It going to be a loooong 2 years of waiting. 8-)
"The gigantic octopus is a slimy, loathsome creature and one of Tsuburaya's best creations."


STEVE RYFLE from "Japan's Favourite Mon-Star"
User avatar
The Giant Pacific Octopus
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:59 pm
Location: Pacific Ocean

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:26 pm

Welcome aboard, Steve! Thanks for the info. We're all stoked about this book.
Image
User avatar
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla
 
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:43 pm
Location: Ministry of the Space

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Can't wait!!!!
User avatar
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 9917
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:27 am
Location: Ohio

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:43 pm

After that awful Peter Brothers book, this will be the ultimate pallet cleanser.
User avatar
MouthForWar
Controller
 
Posts: 14687
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:01 am
Location: Livonia, MI

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:51 pm

MouthForWar wrote:After that awful Peter Brothers book, this will be the ultimate pallet cleanser.


Word to all of our mothers yo :P .

BTW Mouth, listining to your podcast as I continue to plug away at my novel, good mix those two actually.
User avatar
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 9917
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:27 am
Location: Ohio

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:15 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:
MouthForWar wrote:After that awful Peter Brothers book, this will be the ultimate pallet cleanser.


Word to all of our mothers yo :P .

BTW Mouth, listining to your podcast as I continue to plug away at my novel, good mix those two actually.


I live to inspire!
User avatar
MouthForWar
Controller
 
Posts: 14687
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:01 am
Location: Livonia, MI

Re: Honda book

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:36 pm

steveryfle wrote:The book is tentatively set for publication in 2013. We're now in the manuscript writing stage. The book will place roughly equal emphasis on Honda's SF and non-SF films, as we hope to provide a broad overview of his career. We've been able to see almost all of his non-SF films, which show a very different side of Honda's work.

We've also worked out arrangements to include a lot of incredible photos, many of which (perhaps most) you haven't seen previously.

Thanks for creating this thread. We'll try to remember to come here and post updates when we have news.


Wow, I didn't know you were a member on here...great to hear your thoughts. Look forward to hearing updates from you and Ed G in the months to come :th-up:

PS: When are you going to do a follow-up to Japan's Favorite Mon-star? :D
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
User avatar
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2367
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:10 am
Location: Kanto Region, JAPAN

Honda book

Postby steveryfle » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:31 pm

Thanks for the kind words to those who said 'em.

I'd like to update JFMS (I won't utter the full title - I never really liked it much) but there's nothing in the works at this time. I'm afraid publishing books on Toho-related properties hasn't gotten any easier over time, and with the new Legendary project forthcoming I would likely have to go through a lot of the same legal wranglings all over again. No thanks. So if I ever do it, it will be well after that film has come and gone.

I doubt we would have been able to write and publish the Honda book without the assistance of Honda's family. They've been a partner with us from the beginning and have opened quite a few doors for us. The entire project happened somewhat by accident. Ed and I unexpectedly met Ryuji Honda during the shooting of a documentary called "Bringing Godzilla Down to Size" in Japan in '07, and the idea of a book on Honda arose out of our conversations with him.
steveryfle
Godzilla Egg
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:04 pm
Location: los angeles

Re: Ishiro Honda Bio By Ed. Godzisewski and Steve Ryfle

Postby edgodzi » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:15 am

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:I know Ed G occasionally posts on here. Any inkling on when this will go to press? Oh yeah, will there ever be another Japanese Giants? :D


Thanks for the interest in the book. Just noticed this new thread (shows how often I visit MZ these days.

As Steve says, we are deep into work. Still digging up research materials, getting things translated (the eternal task), and writing. One of the greatest pleasures of this project has been finding and watching Honda's non-sf films. It's like finding a whole cache of "lost" films by one of your favorite directors. It wouldn't do his life story justice to gloss over them. And I would like to echo Steve's thanks to the Honda family for their support and assistance. Our book would be just a shadow of itself without them.

We'll post if there's something to report on the schedule.

As for Japanese Giants, I'd love to put out new issues. I have so much on FCTW/WoG that I accumulated for the next feature article. But I'm awash with red ink/unsold copies of the last two issues. As much as I had hoped there would be a market for the magazine, there doesn't seem to be. People seem far more interested in toys than learning about the films. So unless something changes, I regret to say JG is on prolonged hiatus.

Ed G.
"If a boring person finds something boring, that is probably proof that it is interesting." - Akira Kurosawa
edgodzi
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:26 pm

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:05 am

WELL DAMN IT TO HELL, PEOPLE WHO AREN'T BUYING JAPANESE GIANTS. FIX THAT SO I CAN GET MORE.

Actually, once I have more money to throw around, I'd love to order some of the photocopied backissues.
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
User avatar
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7570
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Postby king_ghidorah » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:00 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:WELL DAMN IT TO HELL, PEOPLE WHO AREN'T BUYING JAPANESE GIANTS. FIX THAT SO I CAN GET MORE.

Actually, once I have more money to throw around, I'd love to order some of the photocopied backissues.


Yeah that's just messed up people, each issue is seriously like a damn treasure trove of information...you can't beat Japanese Giants! Though a close second would be Monster Attack Team...

Still, the best Toku related magazine that I've ever read would have to be Japanese Giants. If you don't have your issue, then order it people!!!
User avatar
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 9917
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:27 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Honda book

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:07 am

steveryfle wrote:Thanks for the kind words to those who said 'em.

I'd like to update JFMS (I won't utter the full title - I never really liked it much) but there's nothing in the works at this time. I'm afraid publishing books on Toho-related properties hasn't gotten any easier over time, and with the new Legendary project forthcoming I would likely have to go through a lot of the same legal wranglings all over again. No thanks. So if I ever do it, it will be well after that film has come and gone.


As much as I would love to see you do a follow up (there hasn't been many English books that cover the films beyond GvsDestroyer or GINO), I fully understand. As a businessman who works over here and deals with Japanese bureaucracy on a regular basis, I can only imagine the hoops you had the jump through the red tape you had to dig through (especially with TOHO, whose bureaucracy is even more extreme than usual in Japan). To say it must have been an ordeal is probably an understatement.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing you give it a go again in the future after you finish the Honda book :Big-th-up:



As for Japanese Giants, I'd love to put out new issues. I have so much on FCTW/WoG that I accumulated for the next feature article. But I'm awash with red ink/unsold copies of the last two issues. As much as I had hoped there would be a market for the magazine, there doesn't seem to be. People seem far more interested in toys than learning about the films. So unless something changes, I regret to say JG is on prolonged hiatus.

Ed G.



Yes, I remember after the last JG came out (it mainly focused on the original 54 film....loaded with fascinating facts and tidbits that even most the most diehard fan might be unaware of), that I couldn't wait to see what you dug up for Frankenstein Conquers the World.

I am in utter shock that your last issue of JG didn't sell well. :shock: Of course, I didn't expect you the get rich off of it or to break any sales records, but I am still baffled at the things fandom throws money at without a second throught (Bandai figures, endless Ultraman items, G-Fan, DVDs, the debacle of a comic known as IDW's KOM), but yet many haven't picked this up.

Come on folks, if you have the money to shell out for figures, DVDs, and the recent IDW comics, then surely you could invest in something like Japanese Giants? :?: :?: :?: :!:
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
User avatar
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2367
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:10 am
Location: Kanto Region, JAPAN

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:50 pm

ebirahsmeg1...on one hand I think you are being unpleasently snobby by attacking the purchases of our fellow G-Fans...on the other hand, you are right to a degree..JG should be at the top of just about anyone's list.

Still, it's not an either or sort of thing...people can and should buy whatever they want and can afford to...just make sure you pick up JG if you haven't already folks :wink:
User avatar
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 9917
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:27 am
Location: Ohio

Postby RaymondBurr » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:12 pm

Where can fans of the genre find Japanese Giants? Poor market exposure could be a factor in lower than projected sales. I'd love to check it out, but have never seen it :? Indeed, I would all but kill for more stuff on Frankenstein Conquers the World and/or War of the Gargantuas.

I agree with King_Ghidorah, insulting people's tastes and calling them "twerps" isn't likely to endear you, or your opinions about cool kaiju stuff to anyone. Even so, Ebirahsmeg1 you have tremendous knowledge about the subject matter--and related cool stuff! :D Helpful advice and plugs for product like Japanese Giants will go much further!
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
User avatar
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:31 pm
Location: The Submarine Sea Hawk (Ohio)

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:17 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:ebirahsmeg1...on one hand I think you are being unpleasently snobby by attacking the purchases of our fellow G-Fans...on the other hand, you are right to a degree..JG should be at the top of just about anyone's list.


Still, it's not an either or sort of thing...people can and should buy whatever they want and can afford to...just make sure you pick up JG if you haven't already folks :wink:


Here we go again :roll: If you feel the need to turn this into "Your choice of words are insulting collectors who haven't bought it!, issue then have it kiddo...as usual, you're making much ado about nothing...


RaymondBurr wrote:Where can fans of the genre find Japanese Giants? Poor market exposure could be a factor in lower than projected sales. I'd love to check it out, but have never seen it Indeed, I would all but kill for more stuff on Frankenstein Conquers the World and/or War of the Gargantuas.


Come on folks, this stuff is not that hard to find. And no, I am not trying to single you out Raymond...I have heard so many people say "I can't find Japanese Giants" over the years when all it takes is a simple search engine on google or bing (for example, the link below can be found just by typing "Japanese Giants" and "Godzilla" or "Ed Godzisewski"...takes about 5 seconds...it's even easier than trying to find bandai figures :P ).

Here is the direct site, and you can order back issues as well, and they accept Pay pal:

http://www.japanesegiants.com/
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
User avatar
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2367
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:10 am
Location: Kanto Region, JAPAN

Postby RaymondBurr » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Awesome! Thanks Ebriahsmeg1, I just placed an order for the latest two issues (worth it for the artwork on the covers alone!) and also ordered a copy of Issue #4. It will be awesome to read contemporary reviews of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and especially of the Marvel Comics!
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
User avatar
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:31 pm
Location: The Submarine Sea Hawk (Ohio)

Postby gila-monster » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:55 pm

Personally I think buying DVDs for the movies based on the character we talk about so much is more valuable than a magazine based on the character. But maybe I'm just crazy. Not knocking the book, just saying the movies should probably be higher priority.

I don't want to take this off course though. Looking forward to the Honda book! It should be quite the package.
gila-monster
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:01 am
Location: Canada

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:09 am

Gila-monster, have you read any of Japanese Giants? I mean, yeah, the movies are amazing and that's what we're all here for but if you ever wanted to know any of the workings of these films, you're not going to find a better English-language resource!

How can I explain the quality? This is no GFan. GFan is a mildly amusing byproduct of the fandom that occasionally produces worthwhile material. It's good bathroom-reading material. A fun diversion. Japanese Giants is a SCHOLARLY JOURNAL by comparison. It's put together with all the care, thought, and craft of some high-minded science or English journal. I found myself pretty well gobsmacked when I first flipped through my first issues of JG, which I found at GFEST. It's wonderful stuff and every GFan should at least own a copy of their G'54 issue!
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
User avatar
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7570
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:46 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:Gila-monster, have you read any of Japanese Giants? I mean, yeah, the movies are amazing and that's what we're all here for but if you ever wanted to know any of the workings of these films, you're not going to find a better English-language resource!

How can I explain the quality? This is no GFan. GFan is a mildly amusing byproduct of the fandom that occasionally produces worthwhile material. It's good bathroom-reading material. A fun diversion. Japanese Giants is a SCHOLARLY JOURNAL by comparison. It's put together with all the care, thought, and craft of some high-minded science or English journal. I found myself pretty well gobsmacked when I first flipped through my first issues of JG, which I found at GFEST. It's wonderful stuff and every GFan should at least own a copy of their G'54 issue!


That's a good way to contrast G-Fan and JG. I've even written for G Fan and I admit that most of the time it's fan musings about our beloved genre...which is fine, but if you want some good Scholarly stuff than you can't do better than JG
User avatar
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 9917
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:27 am
Location: Ohio

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:04 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:
kiryugoji04 wrote:Gila-monster, have you read any of Japanese Giants? I mean, yeah, the movies are amazing and that's what we're all here for but if you ever wanted to know any of the workings of these films, you're not going to find a better English-language resource!

How can I explain the quality? This is no GFan. GFan is a mildly amusing byproduct of the fandom that occasionally produces worthwhile material. It's good bathroom-reading material. A fun diversion. Japanese Giants is a SCHOLARLY JOURNAL by comparison. It's put together with all the care, thought, and craft of some high-minded science or English journal. I found myself pretty well gobsmacked when I first flipped through my first issues of JG, which I found at GFEST. It's wonderful stuff and every GFan should at least own a copy of their G'54 issue!


That's a good way to contrast G-Fan and JG. I've even written for G Fan and I admit that most of the time it's fan musings about our beloved genre...which is fine, but if you want some good Scholarly stuff than you can't do better than JG


There was a point where G-Fan was up there with Japanese Giants... oh, those were the days. :(

I also wanna suggest the recently resurrected Monster Attack Team for a great kaiju publication.
User avatar
MouthForWar
Controller
 
Posts: 14687
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:01 am
Location: Livonia, MI

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:07 pm

Indeed, MAT is a great, great publication
User avatar
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 9917
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:27 am
Location: Ohio

Postby RaymondBurr » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:32 pm

MouthForWar wrote: There was a point where G-Fan was up there with Japanese Giants... oh, those were the days. :(

I also wanna suggest the recently resurrected Monster Attack Team for a great kaiju publication.


Hasn't Monster Attack Team secured distribution through Diamond Distributors? This should help sales quite a bit. I know I will be ordering regularly now, if that is the case.

I've been picking up the last few issues of G-Fan as well, simply because they are listed in Diamond. Having not read an issue since the mid 1990s, I was a little underwhelmed. But, the artwork featured in each issue looks good and it's nice to have something new and Godzilla-y arrive on a reagular basis.

If Japanese Giants is as high quality as every one has mentioned, it would really be a shame not to see them produce a Frankenstein Conquers the World/War of the Gargantuas issue.
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
User avatar
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:31 pm
Location: The Submarine Sea Hawk (Ohio)

Next

Return to Godzilla in Print

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron