Ishiro Honda Bio By Ed. Godzisewski and Steve Ryfle

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:03 pm

It is a shame...trust me
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Legion » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:33 pm

I didn't believe in the power of Japanese Giants until I read the Godzilla vs Biollante issue. Won't find something like that in G-Fan.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:14 pm

I quit reading G-fan when it all became terrible fan fiction.I'd by Japanese Giants but right now my budget isn't what it used to be.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:02 pm

DannyBeane wrote:I quit reading G-fan when it all became terrible fan fiction.I'd by Japanese Giants but right now my budget isn't what it used to be.

I stopped for a time for the same reason...I don't mind some of the less scholarly stuff like "Favorite Film" or "Favorite Kaiju" for instance because it breaks up the pace of mag and gives it a little more personal touch, besides, that stuff is great for kids and kids are kinda the targeted audience with G Fan these days it seems...but the fan fic, and that dreadful comic got me to stop for a while as well...dreadful
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby RaymondBurr » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:07 pm

I wonder what it would take to get the next issue of Japanese Giants published... :?: Maybe something like Kickstarter.com could help to fund its publication?
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Reaper G » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:08 am

The fan fiction and comics in G-FAN have been cut down considerably lately, though the last issue had the most fanfics in quite a while.
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Giant Pacific Octopus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:03 pm

I stopped reading G-Fan back around issue 65. I'm surprised its still being published. I remember seeing it in comic shops/book stores back in the day but in the last 5 plus years NADA!!
"The gigantic octopus is a slimy, loathsome creature and one of Tsuburaya's best creations."

STEVE RYFLE from "Japan's Favourite Mon-Star"
The Giant Pacific Octopus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby gila-monster » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:03 pm

I haven't read Japanese Giants yet, but I did order the recent issue on G'54 around the time I made that post. I'm most looking forward to the article on the Oxygen Destroyer.

I wasn't trying to knock the publication or anything, just thought it was odd that someone would rather buy a magazine than the movie itself. Also had a subscription to G-Fan and it was fairly underwhelming. I was mostly put down by the poor resolution of most of the images and the paper quality. Didn't really seem worth my money, not to mention half the articles were sub-par, with a strong need for editing.
gila-monster
Godzilla Jr.

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:05 pm

gila-monster wrote:I haven't read Japanese Giants yet, but I did order the recent issue on G'54 around the time I made that post. I'm most looking forward to the article on the Oxygen Destroyer.

I wasn't trying to knock the publication or anything, just thought it was odd that someone would rather buy a magazine than the movie itself. Also had a subscription to G-Fan and it was fairly underwhelming. I was mostly put down by the poor resolution of most of the images and the paper quality. Didn't really seem worth my money, not to mention half the articles were sub-par, with a strong need for editing.

I will be the first to say that G Fan could use some editing. J.D sometimes makes some pretty big changes in the transcription process, or just fails to catch mistakes by some of the authors. But still, for what it is...it's not horrible. A good bathroom read...there are a lot of people here who write or have written articles or submitted art work to G Fan so as a way of supporting them, I reccomend sticking with it. And if you don't like something, write some of your own articles :wink:
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:13 am

Yeah, my involvement with GFan DOES allow me to say I'm technically a published artist, so it's definitely not all bad. :lol:

Gila-monster, I think it's basically understood that most everyone here already OWNS the movie and it just makes sense to own such a WONDERFUL supplemental publication if you're fan enough.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:00 am

RaymondBurr wrote:Awesome! Thanks Ebriahsmeg1, I just placed an order for the latest two issues (worth it for the artwork on the covers alone!) and also ordered a copy of Issue #4. It will be awesome to read contemporary reviews of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and especially of the Marvel Comics!

gila-monster wrote:I haven't read Japanese Giants yet, but I did order the recent issue on G'54 around the time I made that post. I'm most looking forward to the article on the Oxygen Destroyer.

Well, now that you both have had the chance to order and read Japanese Giants, what did you think?
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby gila-monster » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:38 am

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:
Well, now that you both have had the chance to order and read Japanese Giants, what did you think?

It came in the mail a couple weeks ago but I haven't had a chance to read through it yet because of exams and what not. The layout looks professional and the pictures used are great. I'll check back in after I've actually read it, but so far it looks worthwhile.
gila-monster
Godzilla Jr.

Postby RaymondBurr » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:34 pm

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:
RaymondBurr wrote:Awesome! Thanks Ebriahsmeg1, I just placed an order for the latest two issues (worth it for the artwork on the covers alone!) and also ordered a copy of Issue #4. It will be awesome to read contemporary reviews of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and especially of the Marvel Comics!

The Godzilla '54 issue is awesome! The breakdown of deleted scenes and revisions was very cool--like I would expect to see on a Criterion Collection DVD or something. Very high quality Godzilla-y goodness.

I haven't taken the time to read through the GMK issue yet, as I'm not a big fan of the movie. But the quality of production of the issue is very fine.

I must say the back issue I ordered, Issue 4 from 1970-something, made me want to swear off fanzines forever. It was BRIMMING with bitchy fans. The letters page is filled almost exclusively with nitpicking and back-handed compliments to the editor, while the reviews of Marvel Comics and Megalon are hilariously sanctimonious.

The most startling thing about the old issue from the 70s is that fans are complaining ABOUT THE SAME THINGS that internet geekery is complaining about today. It really is incredible... like reading internet bulletin boards 25 years before they existed! Like G-Fans are hell bent on being miserable...

Thankfully, under Ed's capable editorial skill, Japanese Giants has matured into a truly remarkable resource for fans of monster cinema. I sent him an email to thank him for putting out such a great piece of work and research, and also to ask about the liklihood of the Frankenstien/Gargantuas issue. Maybe we will see it in a few years time, who knows. As I posted earlier, I think we could raise enough financial support from G-Fans to help fund its publication.

Thanks again, ebirahsmeg1 for recommending Japanese Giants. It is simply the best there is when it comes to monster cinema research and journalism! :D
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:52 am

Glad you enjoy JG :th-up: Wish more fans would buy and support it so we can get another one soon.

By the way, here is a *very* lengthy interview (too long to post here) from TOHOKINGDOM.COM with Steve Ryfle regarding various topics, from writing "Japan's Favorite Mon-star" to the upcoming Honda biography he's writing with Ed G:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/interviews/s ... -2011.html

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby The Giant Pacific Octopus » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:27 pm

^That was a great read!
"The gigantic octopus is a slimy, loathsome creature and one of Tsuburaya's best creations."

STEVE RYFLE from "Japan's Favourite Mon-Star"
The Giant Pacific Octopus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:51 am

Bump :)

Any updates/time tables on this yet?

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:21 pm

Some news regarding this book in Dan Schneider's (what a clown this guy is) interview with Ed G:
DS: Are the two of you still collaborating on an Ishiro Honda biography? It’s often mentioned online, but seems yet to be published. When will it be finished and released? Will it be published in America and Japan?

EG: The book is in progress, and our goal is to produce the best book we can rather than to just rush it into print. Fortunately we have a publisher in Weslyan that agrees with our idea and has allowed us sufficient time. There is just so much translation required for the hours of interviews we have conducted, and that takes a lot of time. In addition, we are making a concerted effort to see all of Honda’s non-sf films. There has been a lot of effort expended towards that goal, and then there is the process of working through each film to get an understanding of them…none have English language versions available. We have gotten an enormous amount of help from Honda’s granddaughter Yuuko, who is helping to guide us through this process. We consider a thorough study of these films to be essential to writing Honda’s biography…they make up almost half of his body of work. To ignore or gloss over them, as typically has been the case with books and articles written about him both here and in Japan, is to paint an incomplete picture of the man, which we feel would be a disservice to the readers. We have now seen all but one of these films, and it has revealed to us a lot of things that people may never have realized about Mr Honda. This has also been one of the most rewarding aspects of the project, discovering this previously untapped collection of works by one of our favorite artists.
The manuscript should be finished during 2012 and we hope it will be published sometime next year. It is also planned to be published in Japan.

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:16 am

Sounds awesome. For the 100th time, this can't happen soon enough.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:34 am

I need a time machine to get a hold of this thing tomorrow darnit
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby edgodzi » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:26 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:I need a time machine to get a hold of this thing tomorrow darnit

I like the time machine idea. That would be a great way for us to finish the writing by tomorrow as well.
"If a boring person finds something boring, that is probably proof that it is interesting." - Akira Kurosawa
edgodzi
Little Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:09 pm

edgodzi wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:I need a time machine to get a hold of this thing tomorrow darnit

I like the time machine idea. That would be a great way for us to finish the writing by tomorrow as well.

Deal!! I'll get right on it!
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby TripMasterMunky » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:26 pm

I hope this is a hardcover so it can sit nicely to my Master of Monsters book.

And slightly off-topic, yeah I unsubscribed from G-Fan as well due to the more fan-fiction and recent "Junior" section they added. I get why it's done and whatnot, but it's just not something I'm willing to pay for anymore.
J>E Translator. I like Japanese video games, giant monsters, and more. よろしくお願いします。
TripMasterMunky
Godzilla

Postby edgodzi » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:46 am

TripMasterMunky wrote:I hope this is a hardcover so it can sit nicely to my Master of Monsters book.

That's really up to the publisher. We certainly are hoping that it would be hardcover as well.

Ed G.
"If a boring person finds something boring, that is probably proof that it is interesting." - Akira Kurosawa
edgodzi
Little Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:58 am

BUMP :)

I will be bumping this thread periodically. Any updates, Ed or Steve?

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby edgodzi » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:44 pm

Lots of progress in the writing within the last few months. Still some loose ends research-wise that we are pursuing, but significant progress is being made. At least we can see the finish line on the horizon. So far, in my completely non-objective view, it's looking very good.

Ed G.
edgodzi
Little Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Godzilla in Print