Your Top 3: Best Godzilla Comics!

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Your Top 3: Best Godzilla Comics!

Postby RaymondBurr » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi guys!

Thought this might be fun. What are your Top 3 favorite Godzilla stories from American Godzilla comics? I'm going to say "stories" instead of issues, since some story arcs covered more than 1 issue. Feel free to include IDW if you like, but I don't think either series has finished a story yet. Also, I would encourage you to include a fourth pick as your personal favorite story. Here we go--

RaymondBurr's Top 3 Godzilla Comics!

3. Godzilla (vs. Cybersaur) vs. Bagorah (Godzilla #3-4, Dark Horse Comics)
Perhaps the best original monster of the Dark Horse era! This book always stuck with me.

2. Godzilla vs. Yetrigar vs. Red Ronin (Godzilla #10-11, Marvel Comics)
This story, and the issues leading up to this battle (intro to Red Ronin, capture of Godzilla in the Helicarrier, and the awakening of Yetrigar), were my favorite of the Marvel run. Even as a kid, there was no mistaking what this was--King Kong vs. Godzilla... vs. Japanese Robot Warrior of your choice (mine was Voltron!). This battle royale put many monster movies to shame and reigned throughout my childhood--and adulthood for that matter--as the pinnacle of "More than 2 Monsters" battles! :-D

1. Godzilla vs. Gekido-Jin (Godzilla Color Special, Dark Horse Comics)
The Godzilla Color Special boasts a complete and well written story, done in one issue, featuring the incredible artwork of Art Adams. Add to this a meeting of two of kaiju genre heavyweights--Godzilla vs. Majin--and you've got a recipe for the best Godzilla comic book EVER! It even ends with a classic Godzilla movie resolution (I won't spoil it for those who might not have read it). Moreover, the storytelling holds up well over time. If you haven't read this book, be sure to check it out!

Honorable Mention, Personal Favorite -- Godzilla vs. the Champions (Godzilla #3, Marvel Comics)
I can't explain it, but this battle of odd-ball superhero team and King of the Monsters really sparked my imagination. The battle on the Golden Gate Bridge is cinematic in scope, and the power of Hercules truly a sight to behold. I remember an excited "OH MAN!" when Hercules took the Big G to task. Comic books at their finest!

How about you? What are your Top 3 Godzilla comics?
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby heroforhirerob » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:34 am

I liked all of the above, but I'd give Marvel Godzilla's fight with the Mega Monsters the edge over the Yetrigar fight.
heroforhirerob
Godzilla

Postby RaymondBurr » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:49 am

heroforhirerob wrote:I liked all of the above, but I'd give Marvel Godzilla's fight with the Mega Monsters the edge over the Yetrigar fight.

It was definitely a bit more "epic", that's for sure! ...And Red Ronin has a rough time of it! :shock:

"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:53 pm

1.Godzilla Half Century War(IDW)
2. Godzilla: Legends (IDW)
3. Tie: Gangsters and Goliaths (IDW), Godzilla Color Special (Dark Horse)

Honorable mention:
Godzilla: King of the Monsters issue 0-8 story arc (Dark Horse)
Godzilla issues 11-13 (IDW)
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:18 pm

I always enjoyed the kinda corny fight between Godzilla and the aliens in the Dark Horse arc. I can't remember their name but just remember thinking how amusing a few parts were.

I'd say Godzilla Legends Issue 3 is still my favorite in terms of story. HCW is also pretty cool.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:00 pm

In no particular order

DH Special
Legends 3
HCW trade
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:31 pm

It's hard to just list individual issues but right now
1. Godzilla: The Half-Century War
2. Godzilla: Rulers of Earth
3. Godzilla: Legends
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Return to Godzilla in Print