[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
"The Object of My Affection" by Stuart K. Hayashi! • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

"The Object of My Affection" by Stuart K. Hayashi!

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

"The Object of My Affection" by Stuart K. Hayashi!

Postby ryuuseipro » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:59 am

William Tsutsui can eat it. Hawaiian columnist Stuart K. Hayashi did an excellent article from mid-2005 about his love for Godzilla, originally an e-mail response to a friend, who posted it on his blog (which has since been modified).

I identify a great deal with Stuart's article, and his views on Godzilla.

It was in response to the 2005 NY Times article, "Godzilla vs. the Giant Scissors: Cutting the Antiwar Heart Out of a Classic" by Brent Staples:
http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0501-20.htm

I post the article here, with Stuart's permission.

-----

THE OBJECT OF MY AFFECTION . . .
By Stuart K. Hayashi

. . . is Godzilla, of course!

The New York Times ran an article on him, and http://www.lewrockwell.com actually linked to it. It's interesting that the author actually shows some respect for the movies, though it's probably for ideological reasons. I disagree with him about the Godzilla from the 1960s and '70s being "degenerated." I actually like the anthromorphism of Godzilla from those decades because it made him into even more of a Nietzschean god, as opposed to just a dangerous animal like The Blob. Plus, when Godzilla was "humanized," it became more apparent that he was actually a loner by choice.

I always thought Godzilla was a better hero than Ultraman, because he does not share the red-and-silver alien's altruism. Godzilla does not behave as if he believes he has any duty to save the world or humanity; he just does what he wants. When he battles a menace, it is usually for the sake of his own survival. He saves the world, not because he believes it's his duty, but because he feels like it. That distinction made an impression upon me when I was in elementary school.

Godzilla was an Nietzschean overman who lived as he chose, and, for it, was attacked by small, petty creatures in little tanks. How could I, as a boy, not relate to him?

Also interesting is that the Times writer actually spelled Ishiro Honda's name right. American authors tend to copy the original misspelling, "Inoshiro Honda."

I am surprised that the author also astutely observed how offensive the American "Godzilla" (more like "Fraudzilla," as G-Fan magazine put it) was when the raptor-like creature ran away from the army. I'm surprised that the Times writer, like I did, noticed that the REAL Godzilla never backs away from the military.

This is an entirely esoteric sentence,but my favorite monsters from the Godzilla movies, besides the Big G himself, are King Ghidora, Mecha-King Ghidora, Gigan, Megalon, Titanosaurus, Battra, Biollante, Gezora (not technically in any Godzilla movies, but still a Toho monster who appeared in the "Godzilla" video game), Ebirah, Gorosaurus, Fire Rodan, Baragon, Varan, Mechanikong, and Gabara.

http://tinyurl.com/dkzr2

In high school, the nerds in the art room (including the crazy ones who drew for the UH [University of Hawai'i] newspaper) explained to me that my life wasn't worth as much as theirs because I drew giant monsters ("daikaiju" [a.k.a. daikaijuu, lit. 'giant strange beasts']) while they only drew Dragonball Z characters.

By the way, the author who wrote the Toho-approved Godzilla Compendium says that "Godzilla" is not the wrong spelling, because it's "Go - dzi - lla." I don't know if he's right there, but the use of Katakana in the name does suggest that the word is "foreign." Plus, the spelling of the monster name "Mothra" makes more sense than "Mosura."

And I LIKE Raymond Burr! I always wished that he would play the U.S. President in a Godzilla movie.
-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby JordanGLC » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:20 pm

Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power...

JordanGLC
Godzilla

Postby ryuuseipro » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:53 am

-John Cassidy
Richmond, VA
http://ryuuseipro.livejournal.com/

"The monster a child knows best and is most concerned with [is] the monster he feels or fears himself to be." -Bruno Bettelheim
ryuuseipro
Heisei Godzilla

Return to Godzilla in Print