IDW's new Godzilla comic!

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:22 pm

I love the rodan/titanosaurus one!
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:37 pm

G*Fest Zornow
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:49 pm

Jaysus.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Thomas » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:04 am

Even more impressive in person. AWESOME!!
"The Bird did not look like Rodan, but he sensed it was the spirit of Rodan."

Mike Hanlon (It by Stephen King)
Thomas
Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Latest solicitations from IDW:

October releases;
(W) Duane Swierczynski (A) Simon Gane (CA) Zach Howard
Having tasted serious defeat-and having been branded outlaws by the world's governments-Boxer and his crew scramble to catch up to Godzilla before he destroys Seattle! There's just one major obstacle in the way... Mothra!
October 24, 2012

"(W/A/CA) James Stokoe
Welcome to Ghana, 1975. The criminal underworld has found a way to summon monsters and they've chosen the African country as a trial run for the first ever monster mash-up! A horde of kaiju are on the way and different military teams, each specifically trained to thwart each monster's capabilities, enter the fray. During the chaos, Lieutenant Ota stumbles upon the source of the chaos!"
October 17, 2012

"(W) Eric Powell & Various (A) Phil Hester, Victor Santos (CA) Alex Ross
The King of Monsters rises again and, for the first time in comics, he's bringing lots of other beloved Toho monsters with him in one destructive saga! What starts as a disaster in Japan quickly spreads throughout the world as monsters like Battra, Anguirus, Rodan, and more take turns inflicting their brand of destruction and mayhem. "
Oversize Complete Hardcover, $49.99, October 24, 2012
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:34 pm

Mothra in the ongoing is cool. Also, holy god Hedorah finally made it to Africa. Banno must be thrilled :lol:

I mean, assuming Hedorah is in the issue.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby RaymondBurr » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:58 am

klen7 wrote:G*Fest Zornow

WOW! Very cool! Thank you for sharing with us... man, wish I could have made it out to G Fest this year!
"...WILL. IT. WORK?"
RaymondBurr
Godzilla Jr.

Postby C.Miller719 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:36 pm

I love Zornows work. There always so freaking EPIC! I'm a huge fan of his cover for KOM issue 5. Even though it was a craptastic comic, Zornow's covers never ceased to amazed me. I'd love to see him do a whole issue just like Matt Frank did with Legends.
Wonder if that will ever happen?
C.Miller719
Little Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:16 pm

C.Miller719 wrote:I love Zornows work. There always so freaking EPIC! I'm a huge fan of his cover for KOM issue 5. Even though it was a craptastic comic, Zornow's covers never ceased to amazed me. I'd love to see him do a whole issue just like Matt Frank did with Legends.
Wonder if that will ever happen?

Yeh, I bought a 11x17 print of that one at the con along with this Titanosaur and the Anguirus one to round it out
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby C.Miller719 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:30 pm

Dude, I am so jealous! I would drool on those prints if I got close to them.
C.Miller719
Little Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Got the GODZILLA LEGENDS complete paperback the other day. The story featuring Anguirus and Destoroyah was really neat. In particular, I loved the page where it shows some of Anguirus' past "losing battles". Wish I could say the same about the Rodan story.. pretty meh. The Titanosaurus story was pretty interesting. It didn't feature a lot of Kaiju action, but was very interesting. I wonder if they plan on making that a full mini-series at some point?

Just have the final two stories to go, and I'll be done with this one. Probably will get the GANGSTERS and GOLIATHS complete paperback next. I was gonna get the the 3 paperbacks for KINGDOM OF MONSTERS, but I think I'm gonna wait for the complete hardback of that in October.

EDIT: Just wanna say that I've read the first 4 issues of KOM, but had since stopped to wait for a complete set. I almost bet KOM is better when you can read ALL of it at your own pace.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:42 pm

Hey guys...

If maybe you want to see a continuation of the Kiryu Saga... send IDW a message/letter about how cool it would be etc.

I just rewatched GxMG and Tokyo SOS tonight and I just sent a message to Matt Frank about it, and sent IDW one too.

letters@idwpublishing.com

I just think if we would ever get to see it, this would be the best way!
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby Thomas » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:05 am

What's the Kiryu saga?
"The Bird did not look like Rodan, but he sensed it was the spirit of Rodan."

Mike Hanlon (It by Stephen King)
Thomas
Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:42 am

Thomas wrote:What's the Kiryu saga?

Fandom name for the duology of Godzilla X MechaGodzilla (2002) and Godzilla X Mothra X MechaGodzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

And the saga concluded in S.O.S., I don't need any more comics.

Let's have a comic that fills in the continuity gap between Terror of MechaGodzilla and Destroy All Monsters.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:05 am

Cookson wrote:I almost bet KOM is better when you can read ALL of it at your own pace.
That's a bet you'd lose.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:07 am

It'll be just as sad...it'll just get sadder at a faster pace.

Oh, and apparently we're going to be getting MOGUERA as a monster eventually.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Re: IDW's new Godzilla comic!

Postby Jorzilla » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:39 pm

So I figured I'd revive this old thread since there isn't any better place to write this. I finally got around to reading both History's Greatest Monster and Kingdom of Monsters. I've now read everything.

I heard a lot of bad things about Kingdom of Monsters...but I actually really liked it. Sure, it would have been better if the original plan of leading to a post-apocalyptic world had gone through, but the first 2 trades I really got a kick out of it. They were definitely political but it lampooned both sides of the aisle. The 3rd trade had a decline in quality, for sure. I could not believe that the Sergeant would let a little girl co-pilot Mechagodzilla with him. It also seemed to resolve really quickly as a rush job. Still, it did end on a neat cliff hanger.

History's Greatest Monsters was similarly better than I expected. Though, again the ending was really stupid. The creators clearly didn't know what they were going to do with Boxer and having him just go away by having him jump into Godzilla's mouth was plain stupid.

Probably going to get a lot of flak for this, but I enjoyed both on par, and in some points greater than Rulers of the Earth.

If I had to rank the series so far, it would be as follows:

1. Half Century War
2. Gangsters and Goliaths
3. Rulers of the Earth
4. Kingdom of Monsters
5. Legends
6. History's Greatest Monster
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby daikaijusaurus » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:17 pm

I know this will never happen, but what I would really love to see is a mini series based on the various unmade Godzilla films such as Steve Miner's Godzilla KOTM in 3D, Jan de Bont's Godzilla, and of course Toho's past unmade Godzilla films such as Godzilla Vs Gigamoth, Godzilla Vs the Devil and Batman Vs Godzilla.

I would particularly love to see a 60's period comic with Adam West's Batman Vs. Godzilla. That would be so totally freakin' awesome!

And yes I know, Toho would never allow it :roll: But it would still be cool :D
daikaijusaurus
Godzilla Jr.

Postby XvGojira » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:21 pm

daikaijusaurus wrote:I know this will never happen, but what I would really love to see is a mini series based on the various unmade Godzilla films such as Steve Miner's Godzilla KOTM in 3D, Jan de Bont's Godzilla, and of course Toho's past unmade Godzilla films such as Godzilla Vs Gigamoth, Godzilla Vs the Devil and Batman Vs Godzilla.

I would particularly love to see a 60's period comic with Adam West's Batman Vs. Godzilla. That would be so totally freakin' awesome!

And yes I know, Toho would never allow it :roll: But it would still be cool :D

That would be pretty amazing. I wonder how much it'd cost to commission something like that from an artist. Probably pretty pricey.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby daikaijusaurus » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:40 am

XvGojira wrote:That would be pretty amazing. I wonder how much it'd cost to commission something like that from an artist. Probably pretty pricey.

I just remembered this website:
http://americankaiju.kaijuphile.com/american-godzilla/ag94page2.shtml

Years ago some fan named Todd Tennant actually started working on a graphic novel of the Jan Depont's Godzilla script, but as far as I can tell he hasn't made a new page in years. Last time I heard on a forum (don't remember which one) that he was in talks with the writers of the script (Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio) to try to get the graphic novel published with Toho's permission. But I haven't heard anything about that in a very long time.

His art is is really good, he actually did some work for Blue Water comics. So I wish them the best of luck in publishing their graphic novel. I sure would buy it in a heart beat.
daikaijusaurus
Godzilla Jr.

Postby klen7 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:45 pm

So Baltimore Comic Con is in a week or so and Eric Powell (Kingdom of Monsters) Duane Swierzynski (History's Greatest Monster) and Herbe Trimpe (Marvel's Godzilla) are all going to be there.. I'm planning on picking up some signatures, but if anyone has any questions for any of them let me know and i'll try and ask..

I had met Mike Raicht (Legends 3) at a con earlier this year and had a great time talking to him, but i was a big fan of his issue so i already had a bunch of questions in mind.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Hybrid Gojira » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:50 pm

Rulers of Earth has some cool concepts and ideas. I enjoy the fight sequences, but I'm sad that we very rarely have anything of actual consequence. Monsters appear and then fight, are defeated, and then ultimately return later on. I also wish ROE could have shed all the terribleness of the previous ongoing series just so it had a clean slate to work with.

But I think Matt Frank's work is fantastic. I can't say enough positive things about the stuff he does.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast
Hybrid Gojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:27 pm

klen7 wrote:So Baltimore Comic Con is in a week or so and Eric Powell (Kingdom of Monsters) Duane Swierzynski (History's Greatest Monster) and Herbe Trimpe (Marvel's Godzilla) are all going to be there.. I'm planning on picking up some signatures, but if anyone has any questions for any of them let me know and i'll try and ask..

I had met Mike Raicht (Legends 3) at a con earlier this year and had a great time talking to him, but i was a big fan of his issue so i already had a bunch of questions in mind.

Add Dean Haspiel (Legends #5) to the list
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:13 pm

i had fun. Got to talk to Eric Powell a bit. talked to Swierzynski about Ultraman. Dean Haspiel was probably the nicest guy i met all day. One funny anecdote, he mentioned that when he asked Bobby Curnow '"What [Curnow] thought qualified me to draw Godzilla?" that the response was "[Curnow] liked the way i draw Harvey Pekar." so i found that pretty amusing.

Herb Trimpe had a long line so i never made it over to him which was the only thing i didnt get to do that i wanted to do
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Previous

Return to Godzilla in Print