IDW's new Godzilla comic!

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

IDW's new Godzilla comic!

Postby lhb412 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:40 pm

Pretty much says it all. Needs a thread all its own, dontcha think?

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/10/08/ny ... -idw-toho/
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: IDW's new Godzilla comic!

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:10 pm

lhb412 wrote:Needs a thread all its own, dontcha think?
YES.

Man, February 2011 seems so far away...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:24 pm

I'm pretty excited for this. If only because IDW comics tend to be what I buy nowadays, and mostly I love what they do with properties. It'll be even neater to see what they do with Mothra, Rodan, etc.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Re: IDW's new Godzilla comic!

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:25 pm

lhb412 wrote:Pretty much says it all. Needs a thread all its own, dontcha think?

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/10/08/ny ... -idw-toho/

Ah, you just beat me to it, as I was just about to post about this. This is indeed exciting news...in fact, I'm almost as pumped about this as I am for the new 2012 film :rockon:

I collected all the Dark Horse comics during High school. While I have fond memories, the DH comics are a mixed bag. To their credit, DH tried the best and at least treated Godzilla with respect.

Some positives from the DH comics were Art Adams and Eggleton's artistic contributions. I really hope they will be involved in some way with these new IDW comics. Also, I felt that having G-Force as the main recurring human characters was an excellent idea...the DH G-Force was far better than any "G Force" characters seen in the G films.

Unfortunately, the lack of any of Godzilla's TOHO foes/allies really hamstrung this comic (Gee, thanks TOHO :roll: Mavel/DC/*INSERT ANY NORMAL, SANE COMPANY HERE* would never give the rights to their characters without the main rivals). The orginal DH creations came up were very generic/uninspired/forgettable (Bagorah, Burtannus, "The Stranger") or obvious knockoffs/homages to *real* kaiju, which only made things even worse (Gekidojin-Daimaijin, Cybersaur-MG, Lord Howe Monster-Ebirah, All-Terraintula-Kumonga, Burtannus-Baragon). DH really had both hands tied behind their backs by TOHO.

Oh yeah, let's not forget Alex Cox's time travel story.... :puke:

Now this problem seems to have been rectified with IDW. Never heard of IDW before (I have been out of the comic collecting circle for years...and even as a kid, I never collected anything outside of Donald Duck comics and DH's G comics). It will be interesting to see how they handle not only G himself, but his classic TOHO foes as well (IDW, whatever you do, do *NOT* depict KG in his heisei or GMK KINO form!!! :x He should be the SHOWA space demon of death). The access to G's classic foes should open new dimensions never available to Marvel or Dark Horse, so this is new, unexplored territory for American G comics. Very exciting indeed :bouncy:
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby August » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:29 pm

August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
BlogTHE GOOD, THE BAD AND GODZILLA
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:48 pm

I love Dark Horse, in fact, most of the comics I love are published by them (Hellboy, BPRD, The Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Beasts of Burden, Concrete), but it seems to me their strength is creator-owned, general audience titles, so it's nice to see a new company take a shot at Godzilla, a licensed character.

Dark Horse's own Eric Powell (The Goon) delivered that preview image, btw.

I wonder if they'll establish a standard design for Godzilla or let individual artists play with it.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:02 pm

lhb412 wrote:I love Dark Horse, in fact, most of the comics I love are published by them (Hellboy, BPRD, The Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Beasts of Burden, Concrete), but it seems to me their strength is creator-owned, general audience titles, so it's nice to see a new company take a shot at Godzilla, a licensed character.

I wonder if they'll establish a standard design for Godzilla or let individual artists play with it.

I'd rather every artist put his or her own stamp on the concept but that's just me...

Edit* Saw this on the kaijucast page...a more complete listing of the kaiju IDW is allowed to use in their upcoming series. Most of these make sense as they all seem to be heavy hitters with large fan bases but the inclusion of Battra baffles me...not complaining, I just didn't think that particular kaiju had a large fan base or was an interesting of a creation that others would feel the need to bring it back

http://kaijucast.com/2010/10/08/10-08-2 ... ntial-art/
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:12 pm

As long as its better than the Dark Horse and (especially) Marvel comics, I'm in.
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:17 pm

lhb412 wrote:I love Dark Horse, in fact, most of the comics I love are published by them (Hellboy, BPRD, The Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Beasts of Burden, Concrete), but it seems to me their strength is creator-owned, general audience titles, so it's nice to see a new company take a shot at Godzilla, a licensed character.

Interesting question. Seeing how heavily involved TOHO is, I wouldn't be surprised if a "standard" design is established (please god don't let it be Millenium/Frog Goji). But as king_Ghidorah said, I would love if they let each artist to use their prefered take on Godzilla...for example, we've never seen the likes of the Mosu-Goji suit in a comic before...how awesome would that be??! :rockon: Lots of possibilities if they go this route...but then again, it's understandable if a "standard" form is settled on.

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:46 pm

MouthForWar wrote:As long as its better than the Dark Horse and (especially) Marvel comics, I'm in.

I like the DH Godzilla comics for what they were (and like a few much more than others), but I love the goofy Marvel Godzilla. I imagine if I was a kid in the late '70s I'd be pleased a punch with Marvel's Godzilla comics, Hanna Barbera's cartoon, and Mattel's Shogun Warriors Godzilla (with launching fist!).

Edit* Saw this on the kaijucast page...a more complete listing of the kaiju IDW is allowed to use in their upcoming series. Most of these make sense as they all seem to be heavy hitters with large fan bases but the inclusion of Battra baffles me...not complaining, I just didn't think that particular kaiju had a large fan base or was an interesting of a creation that others would feel the need to bring it back

Awesome! Yay for Angilas, Gigan, Hedorah, Titanosaurus, and Kumonga!

(Rodan, Mothra, King Ghidorah, and Mechagodzilla were givens, naturally)
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:46 pm

i'm most excited by the promise of new AND old monsters...almost like a trial run for a possible foe in the new film...i'm really interested to see if a new creation can be come up with that can rival the old designs...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:12 pm

lhb412 wrote:
Awesome! Yay for Angilas, Gigan, Hedorah, Titanosaurus, and Kumonga!

(Rodan, Mothra, King Ghidorah, and Mechagodzilla were givens, naturally)

Hey, where is the GIANT C0ND0R????!!!!!!!! :eek: :x

All kidding aside, this is an excellent list to start off with as it has all the "heavy hitters (surprised Titanosaurus and Kumonga made it! :o :clap: ). However, I still think it's rather silly that TOHO isn't giving access to *ALL* of Godzilla's foes (seriously, how does TOHO benefit from withholding permission to use the likes Gorosaurus, Varan, Manda, Megalon, King Seesar, Biollante, etc etc...what, are they sitting on these kaiju because they have secret projects in store for them? :roll: ). But at this point, I really am not going to harp too much on this (TOHO will always be "TOHO")...the fact that a good crop of Godzilla's "main foes" and allies will be available for use is outstanding news for comic fans. :calvin:

Not sure what to think about "new creations" appearing. Sure, it looks like a neat, can't miss concept on paper, but looking at past "orginal" creations (All of marvel and DH's monsters, Kystalass and Obsidiot, etc), the bar hasn't exactly been set high. We shall see.

If this comic is a success (which is iffy, as Darkhorse's G comic only lasted 16 issues, and the economy/comic industry is not at its strongest right now...hey, not trying to be a downer, just being realistic), I am sure this will open the door to more foes being used. Regardless how long it lasts, I will just enjoy the ride....

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:23 pm

on the list of monsters: perhaps IDW was willing to pay for certain ones and not others...they may have a plan to include Battra fighting Mothra but none for Biollante...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby The Giant Pacific Octopus » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:39 pm

Maybe third time is the charm.

Marvel's Godzilla series was a very lukewarm seller, and Dark Horse's sold poorly.

Maybe this time the books will sell well.

IDW usually only gets one title a month that even cracks the top 100 in terms of sales. You have to wonder how they got the cash to pay to use the other characters, unless Toho gave it to them at a cheap price.
"The gigantic octopus is a slimy, loathsome creature and one of Tsuburaya's best creations."

STEVE RYFLE from "Japan's Favourite Mon-Star"
The Giant Pacific Octopus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:40 pm

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:
If this comic is a success (which is iffy, as Darkhorse's G comic only lasted 16 issues, and the economy/comic industry is not at its strongest right now...hey, not trying to be a downer, just being realistic), I am sure this will open the door to more foes being used. Regardless how long it lasts, I will just enjoy the ride....

Actually, DH's Godzilla may not have set the industry aflame, but it was supposed to be a 12 issue mini-series and was bumped up four issues.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Godzilla: Monster World

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:08 am

From Newsarama:
NYCC 2010 - IDW Sneak Peek at 2011 Panel LIVE!
Chris Ryall wrote:This our big announcement for the panel: "So we're doing Godzilla." Ryall reveals

Will debut in March 2011, with art and writing by The Goon's Eric Powell

Full title is Godzilla: Monster World.

Ryall explains it as "a league of extraordinary big ass monster stompin' monsters"

correction: "a league of extraordinary big ass CITY stompin' monsters"

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Godzilla: Monster World

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:09 am

mr.negativity wrote:From Newsarama:
NYCC 2010 - IDW Sneak Peek at 2011 Panel LIVE!
Chris Ryall wrote:This our big announcement for the panel: "So we're doing Godzilla." Ryall reveals

Will debut in March 2011, with art and writing by The Goon's Eric Powell

Full title is Godzilla: Monster World.

Ryall explains it as "a league of extraordinary big ass monster stompin' monsters"

correction: "a league of extraordinary big ass CITY stompin' monsters"

wait though...
March or February???
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:44 am

Oh man, a new Godzilla comic? With actual Toho monsters this time? WHAT MIRROR WORLD AM I LIVING IN?!!

Seriously, though, this is awesome. And I like that they're apparently going to be using famous Toho foes mixed in with new monsters. I honestly liked monsters like Bagorah, Burtannus and Gekido-jin (and even the Mega-Monsters from the Marvel comics), so the thought of seeing newbies mixed in with veterans like Mothra and Gigan sounds fun.
TitanoGoji16
Godzilla

Postby Living Corpse » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:02 am

With the right artiest King Ghidorah can look beautiful but deadly and monster like Biollante could look just down right terrifying.

I'm looking forward to this.
Everything must die! Everything must burn! Everything must end! Overkill...is the only way to kill!
Living Corpse
Godzilla Egg

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:56 am

jellydonut25 wrote:on the list of monsters: perhaps IDW was willing to pay for certain ones and not others...they may have a plan to include Battra fighting Mothra but none for Biollante...

That's quite possible...but the point I was trying to get at is that if they pay for the rights to Godzilla, then they shouldn't be charged an arm and a leg to use his foes/allies. As far as I know, Marvel/DC/any normal company does not license the out the rights to Batman, Spiderman, Superman, Iron Man, etc. and then also charge an arm and a leg to use the Joker, Lex Luther, Green Goblin, or the Manderin.
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:36 am

:eek:

Surely a misprint... I mean, Eric Powell is one of the greatest talents working in comic today. Can we be that lucky?

If he is doing it then I'd say it's an introductory mini series, 'cause Powell has to get back to his own series, The Goon.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:41 am

Living Corpse wrote:With the right artiest King Ghidorah can look beautiful but deadly and monster like Biollante could look just down right terrifying.

Agreed. Also, getting some contribution from Art Adams, Bob Eggleton, and Chris Scalf for covers is a *MUST*...

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby Flame of Udin » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:11 am

So....their bringing back Mothra, King Ghidorah, and Rodan.....again.
Flame of Udin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Legion » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:22 am

Flame of Udin wrote:So....their bringing back Mothra, King Ghidorah, and Rodan.....again.

...and Mechagodzilla, Angilas, Gigan, Titanosaurus, Hedora, Kumonga, Space Godzilla, Battra and Destroyah. So don't complain. :P
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:53 pm

Flame of Udin wrote:So....their bringing back Mothra, King Ghidorah, and Rodan.....again.

Don't think I've ever seen them in American Comic Books. There's going to be not just them either.... old and new Toho creations... PLUS brand new monsters. I'm pumped!

I'm freaking glad Godzilla is coming back! Comic Books then a new movie!!! We're flipping lucky ass Godzilla fans.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Next

Return to Godzilla in Print