A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series

Postby The Top Crusader » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:14 pm

My apologies if there is already a topic on this, but I didn't notice one.

Anyway... has anyone read this and can recommend it?

http://www.amazon.com/Critical-History- ... 706&sr=1-1
The Top Crusader
Godzilla Jr.

Re: A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Se

Postby briizilla » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:06 pm

The Top Crusader wrote:My apologies if there is already a topic on this, but I didn't notice one.

Anyway... has anyone read this and can recommend it?

http://www.amazon.com/Critical-History- ... 706&sr=1-1

I've read it and enjoyed it quite a bit. Its not on par with Japans Favorite Mon-star, but its still good. Some folks on this forum don't seem to like it however.
~Brian~

briizilla
Burning Godzilla

Postby The Top Crusader » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:10 pm

Okay, I might look into it eventually, then, but first I'm going to save up for August's book...
The Top Crusader
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:46 am

For me, it is pretty good although after comparing it to some of the other books, it does have some weaknesses.
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:36 pm

I have never quite understood why this book is so highly regarded. Why do people always insist on mentioning this book in the same breath as Japan's Favorite Monstar, Illustrated History of G, or Age of the Gods? In almost every discussion about English G books, this book is always mentioned in the same breath as those great books for some mysterious reason...it's not even close. Any book that critiques a film like GvsMegalon for its "lack of strong female roles" pretty much loses all credibility with me.
GIANTC0ND0R!!!!!!!! :eek:

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby armandv » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:09 pm

ebirahsmeg1 wrote: Any book that critiques a film like GvsMegalon for its "lack of strong female roles" pretty much loses all credibility with me.

I guess it didn't consider all the Seatopian cuties in their togas as strong female roles. :lol:
armandv
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Top Crusader » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:27 pm

The question is, then, are there any good Godzilla books that I can find at a reasonable price? :?
The Top Crusader
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:17 am

The Top Crusader wrote:The question is, then, are there any good Godzilla books that I can find

Yes.

The Top Crusader wrote:at a reasonable price? :?

Other than August's upcoming book, unfortunately no.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:49 am

The Top Crusader wrote:The question is, then, are there any good Godzilla books that I can find at a reasonable price? :?

As far as Japanese books....quite a few great ones....not all are that expensive. Godzilla History 1954-1999 by Shogakokan, though out of print, can sometimes be found on ebay or yahoo auction for a fairly decent rate. Same goes for all of Shogakokan's awesome "film picture" books that accompanied each new G book which started with GvsKG in 1991. There are also some good Japanese books by Kodansha...but fans often dismiss them because they're not English...which is a big mistake.

As far as North American/English books, it's pretty much slim pickens. Age of the Gods and Illustrated Encyclopedia are, for obvious reasons, not that easy and unrealistic to find and often rather expensive. But Ryfle's book still isn't all that difficult to find...I got mine for $50 3-4 years ago...but not sure how much it fetches now. Galbraith"s "Giant Monsters Are Attacking Tokyo" is ok (though not as good as others usually tout it...but it's decent). The Godzilla Compendium, if you can find it at cover price, is ok, but if it's 1 penny more than its cover price, forget about it. And there's the already mentioned Tsubuyura book coming out soon.

But other than that....nada. And sorry, but I cannot recommend Kalat's book...currently the most overrated North American G book imo. Bill Tsutsui's book likewise I can't recommend (though I haven't read or heard much about his followup "In the Footsteps of Godzilla"...but after reading his first book, I can't say I am chomping at the bit to get a copy of it anytime soon)

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby Glow-nut » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:52 am

The Top Crusader wrote:The question is, then, are there any good Godzilla books that I can find at a reasonable price? :?

Of course - with a little patience & persistence you'll be able to find any of the books mentioned here. I recently got a copy of Ed G's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Godzilla off ebay for $10 bucks. Of course that was a lucky find, but here's a few links for stuff that's available right now:

Japan's Favorite Mon-Star, starting at $17:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... &y=0&nsa=1

Monsters are Attacking Tokyo, starting at $24.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 56-6016917
Glow-nut
Godzilla Jr.

Postby The Top Crusader » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:07 pm

Woah, very cool! Thanks for the info!
The Top Crusader
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:15 pm

For anyone that is interested, McFarland, the company that published David Kalat's book about Godzilla has released a new second edition in hardcover.

This time it also includes the Millenium series films in addition to the Showa and VS films.

Here is the link: http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php? ... 864-4749-7

Just thought that anyone here might be interested in knowing about it.
I got no problem with anybody who jumps into a Starfury and rides fire! (Babylon 5)
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:06 pm

Oops...double post. *delete*
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:07 pm

I don't know what your hangup is about this book...I thought it was well done...albeit not the same level as something like Age of the Gods but still...pretty darned good, plus if I recall correctly he did a pretty good commentary on one of the CM Godzilla dvd's...I for one will probably be picking up this newer edition sooner or later
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:32 pm

Same here.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:29 pm

King_Ghidorah wrote:...plus if I recall correctly he did a pretty good commentary on one of the CM Godzilla dvd's...

You mean the one riddled with factual errors (Takashi Shimura took a day off from Red Beard, a movie he's hardly in, to film his "one scene" in Ghidorah?), glaring mispronunciations ("Yosu-CK Natsuki"), and a delivery that sounded like he was on speed? I've never read his book, but that commentary certainly doesn't make me want to spend any money on it.
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:59 pm

Well..it was entertaining and it flowed smoothly...factual errors nonwithstanding...which actually kind of sums up his book too...not perfect but it moves pretty fluidly for this type of book
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:59 am

Updated and revised? Does that mean he actually watched the Japanese versions this time around?
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:25 am

Regardless of the factual accuracy, I feel like he did one of the more entertaining CM commentaries. >_>
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Reaper G » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:50 am

Kalat himself said he wasn't happy with the book the first time around, so I'm happy he's doing it all over.
Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:34 pm

Tyler E. Martin wrote:
King_Ghidorah wrote:...plus if I recall correctly he did a pretty good commentary on one of the CM Godzilla dvd's...

You mean the one riddled with factual errors (Takashi Shimura took a day off from Red Beard, a movie he's hardly in, to film his "one scene" in Ghidorah?), glaring mispronunciations ("Yosu-CK Natsuki"), and a delivery that sounded like he was on speed? ...

Summed up my feelings perfectly. :th-up: His commentary and tone was very annoying and far too heavy-handed with his beloved "social commentary/context". I am more interested in hearing insight and details about the production of the film and facts behind certain scenes. Ed G, Ryfle, and Galbraith all did an excellent job in this regard, as they provided great insight and in-depth information of the technical details in the making of these films, something die hard fans want to hear (and who these DVDs were aimed for). We got virtually none of that with Kalat...just rambling about social context, and throwing out random facts without any cohesion, often having nothing to do with the film or scenes going on. The other Classic media commentaries by Ryfle, Ed G, and Galbraith were highly informatative and fascinating to listen to....with Kalat's, I wanted to shut it off after 5 minutes.

Since GTTHM is my favorite G film, I really wish Ed G, Ryfle, Galbraith, or even R. Pugstari did the commentary for it instead...

I've never read his book, but that commentary certainly doesn't make me want to spend any money on it.

His book is pretty much the same....I found his criticism towards GvsMegalon regarding women's lib particulary absurd....good lord, talking about grasping at straws :roll:

Reaper G wrote:Kalat himself said he wasn't happy with the book the first time around, so I'm happy he's doing it all over.

Well, at least he admits this. If he has significantly revised his book, I might be willing to give it a second look...but "minor" revisions won't make much of a difference...

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:11 pm

So can anyone comment on whether or not the second edition is any good? If it's the same as the first edition then I have no intention of buying it but if it's been significantly improved then I'd love to add another book to my collection!
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Legion » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:13 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:So can anyone comment on whether or not the second edition is any good? If it's the same as the first edition then I have no intention of buying it but if it's been significantly improved then I'd love to add another book to my collection!

No, there actually is a chapter for the Millennium films. I haven't read it though so I have no idea if it's any good.
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:31 pm

If all he did was add a chapter or two then no sale for me. My understanding is that he didn't even view the Japanese versions of the films before writing his original book and it was riddled with errors and such. I'm wondering if he went back and revised the whole thing in addition to writing the new chapter.
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:04 pm

Andrew Nguyen wrote:Here is the link: http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php? ... 864-4749-7

Is this book coming out in Nov. 2010 or 2011? I ask because it appears they made a typo and it says "Book launch Nov. 2100! :shock: :o :lol:

Wow, $55???! That's nearly twice the cost of August's Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters book, which is hardcover, full of fantastic photos, and far superior in general to the 1st edition of Kalat's book. I am willing to give an updated version of this book a second chance since updated English books discussing the millenium films are virtually non-existent, but not for that price.

"F*ck Evangelion." - Me
ebirahsmeg1
Burning Godzilla

Next

Return to Godzilla in Print