EIJI TSUBURAYA: MASTER OF MONSTERS by August Ragone

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby August » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:36 pm

Moonlight SY-3 wrote:Hey August, I finally got my copy...from the loving wife, for Christmas!

Job well done, man! Truly an excellent tome!

Cheers, Brian! Glad you enjoyed it! :)
August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
BlogTHE GOOD, THE BAD AND GODZILLA
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby Robert Saint John » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:03 pm

New review from Cinefantastique, which used to be one of my favorite magazines (though I don't think there's a print publication any longer):

http://cinefantastiqueonline.com/2008/0 ... -monsters/

Generally positive with some quibbles, much like Biodrowski's reviews of the CM DVD releases.
Robert - Cleveland, OH
(formerly mechascorpio)
Robert Saint John
Burning Godzilla

Postby August » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:31 pm

Some of the stuff he quibbles about were either editorial decisions or things that he asserts from somewhere unknown. I had more stuff on how the films were made and effects were achieved, but Chronicle cut them and said, as I wrote the manuscript, to tone them down ("This is a pop culture book, not an academic publication").

He says that I gloss over how the effects budgets were cut over time, but actually, the budgets were pretty much the same throughout the 1960s, and Tsuburaya's miniature work and optical work kept improving. This is especially true with his war films (which have not been widely available outside of Japan), and I note this in the entry on BATTLE OF THE JAPAN SEA, which was his last completed film. The effects work is absolutely astounding throughout.

The bottom line is that you can't be all things to all people... C'est La Vie! :)

Meanwhile, the book has been nominated for the this year's "Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Award." You can click the banner below to vote:

August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:07 am

Well,I bought this book mostly because I felt obligated to,because August is cool,and I felt I should purchase any book he managed to put out. I figured I'd buy it,flip through once,post "hey nice book,August",and be done with it.
But I was in for a shock,because this book is AWESOME. This book would be a bargain at twice the price. I refuse to believe there's ever been an English language book on this subject this well researched and well written. August isn't a guy who wrote a book,he's an AUTHOR. Anyone who is a fan of the genre needs this book. No excuses,if you don't have the money to buy it,pawn your wife's wedding ring.

One question I do have,towards the end of the book,there's a building that looks just like the Garrison headquarters in UltraSeven. What is it? I'm assuming an Ultraman merchandise store. I probably just overlooked the caption.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby August » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:46 am

Thanks for the very kind words and I'm glad that you're happy with the book! As for the photo, off hand, I think you're referring to the "Science Patrol"-styled HQ building at Ultraman Land attraction park in Kyushu.
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:22 pm

Hey August, finally got around to finishing the book and I thought it was amazing. It quickly rocketed to being one of my favorite books ever. I really wish there were more biographies on the giants of the genre printed here in the US... I'd love to see books on Honda, Nakajima, etc. one day.

But the one thing I wanted to know a bit more about was Tsuburaya's work with Kurosawa on Throne of Blood (one of my fav movies)... any reason why there wasn't much of a mention on that?

But regardless, amazing book... required reading for any fan of SPFX movies. Its right up there with Ray Harryhausen's autobiography "Animated Life"- Great job... I hope you write more books on our beloved genre in the future! 8-)
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby msunz27 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:20 pm

I just finished the book too. Quality stuff. Much respect and appreciation.

Quick question: On page 144, concerning the section about G vs. Sea Monster, that "rare color still" in the upper left hand corner. Is that the de-frilled "Jiras" suit with Ebirah there? That was used for those pulled-under water shots and when Godzilla got smacked in the head (aka "decapitated"), etc. etc. ? Many months ago, you enlightened me about that whole she-bang, BUT that's another thread. Thanks.
msunz27
Godzillasaurus

Postby August » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:52 pm

It looks like it, doesn't it? But, it's mostly the top of his head, so it's hard to tell (and it seems that all of these photos are from the same sequence). They did use the "Jiras" suit for the shots actually photographed in a water tank, though.
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby August » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:30 pm

Chronicle Books Blog published an interview with me about the book and the upcoming screening and signing this Thursday:
Chronicle Books Blog!
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby August » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:58 am

Looks like I will be coming to G-Fest to give some presentations and sign copies of my book! Final details pending.

I will be signing my book in Walnut Creek in Northern California later this month -- check out the EIJI TSUBURAYA: MASTER OF MONSTERS MySpace page for all of the details: http://www.myspace.com/eiji_tsuburaya

We are also lining up books signings for Los Angeles, San Diego (Comic Con!) and Austin TX... more cities to come!

Stay tuned!
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby August » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:30 am

On Saturday, April 26th @ 2:00 pm, I will be appearing with author, columnist, filmmaker and former "Creature Features" host, John Stanley at Clayton Books in Clayton, California, for a monstrous double-feature book signing event. It's giant against giant in the ultimate struggle for supremacy of the world!

As a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle. John Stanley covered the science fiction, fantasy, and horror scene for more than thirty years, and has authored a fistfull of books, including several editions of the lauded "Creature Features Movie Guide," which Leonard Maltin called "A must", even as Fangoria magazine called John, "The Leonard Maltin of Horror."

John will be appearing to bask in the glory of his recent magnum opus, "I Was a TV Horror Host" — a star-studded overview of the radio, film and television horror host, highlighted by a detailed behind-the-scenes look at his own journey on "Creature Features." As the legendary Ray Bradbury so aptly put it, "Everybody should read this book! EVERYBODY!"

And that means YOU!

Clayton Books is located at 5433 D Clayton Road, Clayton, CA 94517 (just past Walnut Creek on Ygnacio Valley Road). Call 925-673-3325 for more information.
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby August » Wed May 28, 2008 3:46 pm

EIJI TSUBURAYA: MASTER OF MONSTERS has received another great review, this time from Boldtype!

Click here to read the review: Boldtype June 2008: Issue 56
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby August » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:05 am

Just an FYI, I will be appearing at G-Fest this year and will be signing copies of my book at the Clawmark Toys booth in the Dealer's Room! :)
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby August » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:20 am

I just updated my blog with some thoughts on Eiji Tsuburaya and the critical success of my book. Check it out! :)
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:48 pm

Great Article!

I should be getting the book today. I'll read it all, show up at G-FEST and have you sign it!
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby SciFi Geek » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:58 pm

Muy bien! Your blog is great! I'm thinking of buying the book but I normally don't know where to find it in places like Barnes & Nobles. What category does this fall into?
SciFi Geek
Little Godzilla

Postby August » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:14 pm

SciFi Geek,
The book falls under Biography and Film. Most booksellers should stock it under Film. But, when you go into a bookstore, you can ask for it and they'll look it up for you. Bookstores can also order a book for you. Let me know.

Cookson,
I will happily sign your copy at G=Fest! :)
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby SciFi Geek » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:23 pm

Thanks. The only book I ever see that relates to Godzilla in Barnes & Nobles is William M. Tsutsi's crappy ''Godzilla On My Mind''. Too think I almost bought that book.

:(
SciFi Geek
Little Godzilla

Postby nathanpt2000 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:19 am

August, you deserve all of the accolades! A truly great book that I will return to many times!
I hope to get mine signed and meet you as well. Can't make it to G-fest this year though :cry:
I live in SF, so I'll probably see you at some tokusatsu event in the Bay Area
one of these days.
Any other book(s) in the works????????
nathanpt2000
Godzillasaurus

Postby August » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:39 am

Thanks, Nathan! I've done some events already this year in San Francisco, at the Clay Theater (we screened MOTHRA and BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE), the Super 7 Store and WonderCon. The next signing will be at A NIGHTMARE TO REMEMBER horror film festival at the Opera Plaza Theater on June 21st: http://www.lastdoorwayproductions.com/filmfest.html

Right now, I'm working on writing liner notes and other materials for some upcoming tokusatsu DVD releases, such as SILVER MASK (1971) coming from BCI (I also worked on their releases of IRON KING and SUPER ROBOT: RED BARON) and INAZUMAN (1973) coming from JN Productions (I also worked on their releases of KIKAIDA, KIKAIDA 01 and KAMEN RIDER V3). Thanks for asking!
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby godziwolf » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:00 pm

August wrote:SciFi Geek,
The book falls under Biography and Film. Most booksellers should stock it under Film. But, when you go into a bookstore, you can ask for it and they'll look it up for you. Bookstores can also order a book for you. Let me know.

Cookson,
I will happily sign your copy at G=Fest! :)

I found my copy amongst the graphic novels in a local comic store.
|\-/|
<0 0>
=(o)=
-Wolf
godziwolf
Godzilla Jr.

Postby kiryugoji04 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:24 pm

I haven't seen it anywhere in Georgia.

...but that's okay, I got it off of Amazon a long time ago. XD
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby August » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:30 am

I'm sure that you haven't looked ALL OVER the great state of Georgia. I've gotten e-mails from all over the country, Canada, England and other parts of Europe, from people who've purchased the book in shops in their respective countries. It was even being sold at the Ultraman Exhibit in Tokyo... So, it's out there.
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby Tyler E. Martin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:45 pm

Okay, so I know I'm the last person in the entire fan community to own this book (money issues--if I'd been able to afford it, I would have gotten it a long time ago), but I received my copy in the mail today and I'm having trouble putting it down. Aside from work, I've been doing little except marveling at the wealth of information and rare photos available in this lovely little tome.

My hat is off to you, August. You've done Mr. Tsuburaya a great justice. Thank you.
Tyler E. Martin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Hollywood Gothique » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:52 am

August wrote:He says that I gloss over how the effects budgets were cut over time, but actually, the budgets were pretty much the same throughout the 1960s, and Tsuburaya's miniature work and optical work kept improving.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but as early as GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA, the scripts are setting the monster scenes in vaguely defined rural areas in order to descrease the number of miniature buildings needed. GHIDORAH THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER initiated the ploy of reusing old Godzilla suits instead of building new ones. And by the time of MONSTER ZERO, the effects are being padded out with extensive use of stock footage.

These facts don't lessen my enjoyment of the films (not much anyway), but they are pretty obvious cost-saving measures.
Hollywood Gothique: The Website of Fantasy Films, Mystery Movies, Haunted Happenings & Sci-Fi Cinema Events in Los Angeles
Hollywood Gothique
Godzilla Egg

PreviousNext

Return to Godzilla in Print