EIJI TSUBURAYA: MASTER OF MONSTERS by August Ragone

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

EIJI TSUBURAYA: MASTER OF MONSTERS by August Ragone

Postby August » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:32 pm

Here's the preliminary cover of my upcoming book (there may be minor adjustments when it comes off the presses). EIJI TSUBURAYA: MASTER OF MONSTERS is the first official and authorized biography on this important figure (produced with the complete cooperation of Toho, Tsuburaya Productions and the Tsuburaya Family) published outside of Japan! With contributions by Toho CEO Shogo Tomiyama and Tsuburaya Productions CEO Akira Tsuburaya!

EIJI TSUBURAYA was the behind-the-scenes hero to anyone who has thrilled to giant monsters duking it out over Tokyo—the visual effects mastermind behind Godzilla, Ultraman, and numerous Japanese science fiction and fantasy movies and television hits shown around the world.

Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters details the dynamic life and movie career of this legendary film figure, from his early fascination with aviation, motion pictures, and model building to his work in the Golden Age of Japanese Cinema to the ingenious technical innovations that brought miniature worlds and fantastic characters vividly to life.

Collecting hundreds of film stills, posters, character art, and dozens of delightful on-set photos of Tsuburaya instructing his monsters to crush one building after another, this highly visual biography also features rare profiles of the master’s collaborators, detailed information about his key films and shows, and special features on his legacy and the enduring popularity of the characters he helped to create.

EIJI TSUBURAYA: MASTER OF MONSTERS is 208-page hardcover, heavily-illustrated, coffee table book, which will be hitting shelves on November 1st—but is now available for pre-order at Amazon.com—just click the link in my signature!
August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
BlogTHE GOOD, THE BAD AND GODZILLA
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby JordanGLC » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:36 pm

This will be a definite must have!

About the cover; any particular reason why a picture with Ultraman was chosen over one with Godzilla?
Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power...

My Creature Features
JordanGLC
Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:50 pm

JordanGLC wrote:This will be a definite must have!

About the cover; any particular reason why a picture with Ultraman was chosen over one with Godzilla?

I'm not August or anything, but I can think of two reasons.

1. Eiji Tsuburaya was just one of five men that originally brought Godzilla to life. Ultraman on the other hand was completely his brainchild. (At least, that's how I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong.)
2. That's just a really, really nice pic of him on the set, standing right there with his creation.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Baltan II » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:36 pm

The presence of Baltan certainly couldn't hurt either.

I'm not going to rush out to preorder it or anything, but definitely worth consideration once released.
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby JimPV » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:41 pm

Giganzilla wrote:I'm not going to rush out to preorder it or anything, but definitely worth consideration once released.

I definitely pre-ordered this - can't wait!

BTW, was Tsuburaya that short, or was the guy who played Ultraman that much taller than him?
JimPV
Godzilla

Postby August » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:25 pm

JordanGLC wrote:About the cover; any particular reason why a picture with Ultraman was chosen over one with Godzilla?

There were several different cover designs that were in the running, all of the others with Godzilla on the cover, and the publishers and editors picked this one—I'm sure that they know a sight more about marketing than we do, and perhaps felt that this was a stronger cover image. I don't think we need to get partisan about this, because there are plenty of Godzilla stills in this book, as well as Gargantuas and everyone else in-between the covers, so no worries, people. :wink:

Don't judge a book by its cover and all of that—if the book wasn't good, Toho and Tsuburaya Productions wouldn't let it out on the market. :D

Giganzilla wrote:I'm not going to rush out to preorder it or anything, but definitely worth consideration once released.

Order now and pay only $26.40—save $13.60 (that's 34%) off of the cover price of $40.00, and see if you qualify for free shipping! :D

JimPV wrote:BTW, was Tsuburaya that short, or was the guy who played Ultraman that much taller than him?

Tsuburaya, like many Japanese of his generation, was not tall, but the Ultraman suit actor, Satoshi "Bin" Furuya, himself was tall—over 6' tall.

Anyhow, thanks for the kind comments, people. :D
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby Lord Hastur » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:50 pm

This is going to F#cking kill !!

Augie - Really can't wait to read this. Thank's for putting it out.

Danny T.
Lord Hastur

Postby Chop Top » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:17 pm

No matter how good this book is, it will never surpass the Official Godzilla Compendium. Image

I kid, of course. I just pre-ordered it, and blew my entire paycheck in one night on the book and a bunch of DVDs from DeepDiscount. I love you August Ragone :color:
Chop Top
Godzilla Jr.

Postby kiryugoji04 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:38 pm

Weird question but I'll ask it anyway...

August, what are the book's dimensions? Just want to get an idea as to the size of the thing, since it sounds like it might be pretty big. :)
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby August » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:44 pm

Lord Hastur wrote:This is going to F#cking kill !! Augie - Really can't wait to read this. Thank's for putting it out.

Cheers! Thanks to Tsuburaya Productions for putting me on the project and Chronicle Books for accepting me. :D

Chop Top wrote:No matter how good this book is, it will never surpass the Official Godzilla Compendium. Image

No comment. :oops: But, seriously, the GC is good for kids as a "Godzilla 101" primer.

Chop Top wrote:I kid, of course. I just pre-ordered it, and blew my entire paycheck in one night on the book and a bunch of DVDs from DeepDiscount. I love you August Ragone :color:

I love you, too! :twisted:

kiryugoji04 wrote:Weird question but I'll ask it anyway... August, what are the book's dimensions? Just want to get an idea as to the size of the thing, since it sounds like it might be pretty big. :)

It's bigger than a Bread Box (sorry, old joke)... I don't have the exact dimensions, but it's a coffee table book, so it would be roughly around 14" tall x 10" wide. But, don't quote me on that -- when I proofed the Galleys (layouts) they were not at actual size, so I'm just hazarding a guess.

From Wikipedia: A coffee table book is a hardcover book that rests on a coffee table or similar surface in an area where guests sit and are entertained, thus inspiring conversation or alleviating boredom. They tend to be oversized and of heavy construction, since there is no pressing need for portability. Subject matter is generally confined to non-fiction, and is usually visually-oriented. Pages consist mainly of photographs and illustrations, accompanied by captions and small blocks of text, as opposed to long prose. Most tend to be biographies or fall into the genres of history, art, or entertainment.
Last edited by August on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:46 pm

August wrote:
kiryugoji04 wrote:Weird question but I'll ask it anyway... August, what are the book's dimensions? Just want to get an idea as to the size of the thing, since it sounds like it might be pretty big. :)

It's bigger than a Bread Box (sorry, old joke)... I don't have the exact dimensions, but it's a coffee table book, so it would be roughly around 14" tall x 10" wide.

From Wikipedia: A coffee table book is a hardcover book that rests on a coffee table or similar surface in an area where guests sit and are entertained, thus inspiring conversation or alleviating boredom. They tend to be oversized and of heavy construction, since there is no pressing need for portability. Subject matter is generally confined to non-fiction, and is usually visually-oriented. Pages consist mainly of photographs and illustrations, accompanied by captions and small blocks of text, as opposed to long prose. Most tend to be biographies or fall into the genres of history, art, or entertainment.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking! Thanks! :D
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby August » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:26 pm

Chronicle Books had a sample copy of the book on display at the booth at San Diego Comic-Con. I am very pleased with the way the layout and printing turned out--the paper stock is a thick, glossy bond -- and I am throughly satisfied with the finished product. I hope that everyone will as well. Cheers!
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby The Top Crusader » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:04 pm

I never get around to looking in this particular subforum, but I recently read that book all about King Kong (haha, yes, I know no clue what the title is or who the author is) that covers all the films, and was looking on Amazon for something Godzilla related to read, when I stumbled across this book.

Definitely looks awesome, August! I'm too broke to promise that I will pre-order it right now but I definitely plan on getting it as soon as I can!
The Top Crusader
Godzilla Jr.

Postby August » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:47 pm

Thanks, Crusader! Unlike most of the other English-language books, there are plenty of photos in "Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters" (200 in all)! Here's what I heard from my publicist today: "We brought a sample of the book to Comic Con. It was by far the most perused, paged-thru, and lusted-after book at the show. We featured the book in a special sneak preview catalog, encouraging attendees to pre-order the book on the Chronicle Books website."

Chronicle Books page for EIJI TSUBURAYA: MASTER OF MONSTERS
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:11 pm

This is going to be exceptionally fun. We are all forever in your debt.
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby August » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:12 pm

Thanks, Andrew, I hope that you will enjoy the book -- we had a great time putting it together!
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby August » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:01 pm

Oh my God... I just saw that WAL-MART is offering "Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters" for pre-order at $25.34 -- that's a real good discount from the MSRP of $40.00. But, WAL-FREAKIN'-MART!? Wow. My book is getting some serious across-the-board distribution. Damn.

"Honey, don't forget to pick up a pair of sweat pants, a new toaster oven, a case of beef jerky, and a copy of "Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters"!
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:35 pm

August wrote:Oh my God... I just saw that WAL-MART is offering "Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters" for pre-order at $25.34 -- that's a real good discount from the MSRP of $40.00. But, WAL-FREAKIN'-MART!? Wow. My book is getting some serious across-the-board distribution. Damn.

"Honey, don't forget to pick up a pair of sweat pants, a new toaster oven, a case of beef jerky, and a copy of "Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters"!

I don't know if you remember this series Kung Fu: The Legend Continues but in the words of the old monk that aids Kwai Chang Kane and his son Peter.

"Bloody marvelous". :D :)

Oh and if you don't know what I meant, it was an attempt for a very nice complement.
Last edited by Andrew Nguyen on Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:35 pm

You have a book coming out? :P
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby armandv » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:43 am

Well, I completed and submitted my review of Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters last night for inclusion in G-FAN #81, which is fast becoming the "Special August Ragone Issue."
armandv
Heisei Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:42 pm

Wow, I really need to put some money aside so I can pre-order this. :)
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby August » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:05 pm

Well, pre-order soon, because the book hits shelves on the West Coast in the middle of next month, and the East Coast in early November (they are shipped by truck) -- from what I was told.
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby armandv » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:24 pm

August wrote:Well, pre-order soon, because the book hits shelves on the West Coast in the middle of next month, and the East Coast in early November (they are shipped by truck) -- from what I was told.

Under tight security like the recent Harry Potter book? ;-)
armandv
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Top Crusader » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:55 pm

Well, good news for me. My wife gave me permission to order the book as part of her Christmas gift for me. :wink:
The Top Crusader
Godzilla Jr.

Postby August » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:48 pm

Excellent! Thank her for me! :)
August Ragone
August
Burning Godzilla

Next

Return to Godzilla in Print