The 411 on Japanese Deputy Services

Discuss Vinyl Toys, Action Figures, Candy Toys, Godzilla Meat...whatever!

Moderator: Controllers

The 411 on Japanese Deputy Services

Postby Matolen » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:28 pm

I thought I would put up a few words about what this service is, and how it is used. If its good enough, maybe it could a sticky as people add their thoughts, I don't know...but I think alot of people ask about it and so...

A Deputy Service is the middleman between you (US fan/consumer) and the Japanese auction and toy stores.

Its well known that Japanese stores (we are talking the specialty and Mom and Pop establishments) and JY auctions almost never ship internationally. Its expensive and its a hassle, plus there is the extra burden of translation problems. This is were the deputy service comes in. These are shops or individuals who avail themselves to Western consumers who want to get all those good Japanese booty. They bid on the auction you want, or place the orders (or pre-orders) with the stores which have the products you want. Then they ship them to you!

Here are three links to Deputy services. There are others and just search for them on Google.com, or Google.co.jp (in English)

http://www.hobbyshopk.com/yahoo.html
(I have used this one)

otaku-ya.swee.to/
(I have used this one, too)

www.rinkya.com/

http://www.crescent-shop.com/

as I said there are others.

POINTS TO CONSIDER:
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Whatever service you use, READ ALL TERMS AND FEES!
Each one is different; comparison shop, but understand the prices

A fee breakdown may include the following:

cost of item
percentage to service
cost to ship to service
cost to ship to you
conversion rate (which may NOT be the regular Yen to dollar rate)
addt'l fees

As you can imagine it can get costly. Getting multiple items is more cost-effective than a single item, and its more cost effective to pre-order than to get it after it comes out.

SO, IS IT WORTH IT?
Only you can answer that question. Nowadays a lot of stuff does make its way over here...sometimes not...if its more esoteric it may be the only way.

(Personally, I also think its also an advantage for you if you have some passing knowledge of Japanese or East Asian IMEs and encoding. You don't have to, obviously since the Deputy service is all in English, but it doesn't hurt.)

Matolen
"Well now I've seen everything."

"Ever see a man eat his own head?"

"No"

"Then you haven't seen everything."

--From Team America: World Police
Matolen
Little Godzilla

Postby Legion » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:00 pm

Doesn anyone still find this helpful? LOL
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Baltan II » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:58 pm

I've referred people to this thread a couple times before, and it's still pretty much ignored. If I needed to find something not available outside Japan, which I don't right now, I'd be putting this info to good use. Otherwise... ah well.

Still wondering where Matolen disappeared to, though.
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby Matolen » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:58 am

Giganzilla wrote:I've referred people to this thread a couple times before, and it's still pretty much ignored. If I needed to find something not available outside Japan, which I don't right now, I'd be putting this info to good use. Otherwise... ah well.

Still wondering where Matolen disappeared to, though.

I am still around but haven't posted much lately. I have literally run out of room to put things in my NYC apt. so I haven't been scouring for goods (no fun to get something and have to just stack it in boxes LOL)
"Well now I've seen everything."

"Ever see a man eat his own head?"

"No"

"Then you haven't seen everything."

--From Team America: World Police
Matolen
Little Godzilla

Postby Hesei » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:28 pm

EXTREMELY late followup to Matolen here, but I know exactly how ya feel. Nearly everything I get now (which is very little) goes to storage. It hurst so much... :cry:

But more to the point: otaku-ya just hit me... HARD.
In their defense, what I got was some rather heavy and fragile stuff, so I don't think it was a complete rip. Anyway, I was curious if anyone else has tried any of these. This topic has been around forever, so someone must have something.
Hesei
Godzilla

Postby Baltan II » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:20 am

Rather than use one of these Japanese deputy services precisely, I enlisted the help of Ryan at http://www.fantofan.jp , who primarily deals in TFs but due to constant badgering :wink: on my part about Ultraman helps me with magazine exclusives and now Yahoo! Japan. His prices are on par with HLJ when all is said and done, he's very helpful, and shipping's not a problem. Only reason it tends to be around $30 for me is because I order a lot at once and wait until it's all on-hand to ship.
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby Hesei » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:54 pm

Sorry it took me so long to respond: I kinda forgot about this lol! Maybe I'll drop that guy a line sometime and see about it. Thanks.
Hesei
Godzilla

Postby GiganGoji » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:59 pm

Is there a way to know the cost of shipping before you have them bid on the item you want?

I have some items in mind, but I have certain price limits, and I'm afraid that the price of shipping included would be much higher than I'd be willing to pay for the item, and I don't want to get the item if that is the case.
GiganGoji
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Hesei » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:26 am

I would just say you should come out and ask. EMS is always gonna be pricey to the states. As long as it's lightweight and small, they shouldn't be too hard on the cost. I just bought a model and two statues, so I had to pay out the arse for all three boxes. Too true that it was a ripoff, but I got an average deal in the end. That's part of the reason I don't want to use Otaku-Ya any longer. My first dealings with them always saved me money, so it could have been this shipment was just a hassle overall. I never do see a price set on the auction for shipping though. Maybe if you get a good service, they'll help you out.
Hesei
Godzilla

Postby Ghostbuster » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:06 pm

Here is an excellent FAQ for bidding on YJA auctions...

http://www.collectiondx.com/node/801
Ghostbuster
Godzilla Egg

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:09 am

Anyone know any deputy services for Amazon.jp?
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby ninja_arashi » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:36 pm

MouthForWar wrote:Anyone know any deputy services for Amazon.jp?

You don't need a deputy service. They will ship internationally.
ninja_arashi
Godzillasaurus

Postby Baltan II » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:14 pm

No, not for everything. Case in point, poor little Twin Tail.

"Shipping: We're sorry; this item can not be shipped outside Japan"
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby Bio_Goji_89 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:23 pm

There are some restrictions that companies put on their products. I've seen a bunch of Godzilla things that say "for sale only in Japan." Guess they don't want their domestic products filtering through to where they want to market exports.

Tim
Bio_Goji_89
Godzilla

Postby pocketmego » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:13 am

Thanks to everyone involved with this thread. I almost got involved in one of these services, until I realized that I didn't know what I was dealing with and that just isn't a good way to do things.

The fact is...

The more I thought about it...the more I realized there is really nothing in my realm of JP toy collecting that i can't get either from Ebay or by way of many of our fine Kaiju and Transformers stores (which are really my realm in terms of JP toys anyway).

I would LOVE to be able to use these stores to get old Jumbos and Chogokins, but if I could afford the vintage toys to begin with the fees from these services wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks again.

-Ray
Creepy Cheapies
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/creepycheapies/
E-mail discussion list dedicated to the Film Types of Drive-In, Exploitation, Grindhouse, and Horror!
pocketmego
Godzilla Jr.

Postby indianeric » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:05 am

Bio_Goji_89 wrote:There are some restrictions that companies put on their products. I've seen a bunch of Godzilla things that say "for sale only in Japan." Guess they don't want their domestic products filtering through to where they want to market exports.

Tim

and then the companies complaint about low sales of some g lines....

i hate yahoo japan because they discriminate north american customers they should be challenged in court and defeated for once.

last time ive checked toys are not illegal merchandise in the usa....
indianeric
Little Godzilla

Postby Baltan II » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:37 pm

Yahoo! Auctions Japan has auctions that can actually ship outside of Japan. It's at the seller's discretion, not the site's. And you can't sue a person hosting an auction because they decide to take the easy route and not ship outside Japan. :lol:
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby indianeric » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:26 pm

Giganzilla wrote:Yahoo! Auctions Japan has auctions that can actually ship outside of Japan. It's at the seller's discretion, not the site's. And you can't sue a person hosting an auction because they decide to take the easy route and not ship outside Japan. :lol:

lol

i know but i couldn't resist saying something very vindictive about it !
indianeric
Little Godzilla

Postby Hesei » Mon May 28, 2007 8:13 pm

I guess it was bound to end sometime. I was so pissed that the Doom Island Kumonga figure reached $200 with 2 hours left, that I decided to cut my losses and take advantage of some VERY fine deals on Yahoo Japan through a deputy service that seems to have a few mixed reviews, but has always come through for me: Otaku-Ya.

This is the first email I got back after they received my order...
Hello,
"OTAKU-YA!" is very busy now and "OTAKU-YA!" is accepting the order only
from the limited customer now.
Your order cannot be received.
Please place an order for other deputy service site.
Sorry,

OTAKU-YA!

Now, I've been using this "company" for about a year now and have given them a fairly hefty sum of money for their services, so I pushed a bit, reminding them of this, despite how "busy" they are. Here's their response.
Hello,

"OTAKU-YA!" is accepting only the order of small item now.
(Doujinshi, Cel, etc)

"OTAKU-YA!" is due to accept the order of only small item from now on.

Because you place an order for large item in many cases, please use other
deputy service site from now on.

Thank you for using "OTAKU-YA!" until now.
Regards,

OTAKU-YA!

First, I can guarantee they didn't look at any of the items. Why? Because the largest one is a theater MechaGodzilla! Everything else is HGs and Hyper figures!
Second, the largest items I ever ordered form them were the Marui Mothra, GMS Ghidorah, and 84 GMS Godzilla. The Godzilla, by the way, was the only one they told me was too big, and I have since not ordered anything large from them.

Now, I am obviously a bit pissed about this, but keep in mind, I am not trying to discredit these people as a service (Gforever can tell you a story to do that), but I just wanted to let everyone know that they no longer will deal with figures anymore-only "Doujinshi, Cel, etc." So just go ahead and ignore that they're even on the list!

Another thing, why not just tell me from the start? Why give me some BS about being too busy? That's one good way to really anger a customer: giving them the runaround. Feh, just not my day...
Hesei
Godzilla

Postby Cookie » Mon May 28, 2007 9:08 pm

I use Rinkya. Haven't had a problem yet....

Although this company that you use seem like they're just lazy...lol
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer
Cookie
Burning Godzilla

Postby Hesei » Mon May 28, 2007 9:29 pm

Seems so! lol! Though they did have the ABSOLUTE BEST packing I've ever seen! Very well done!

Rinkya kinda bothers me since I like to use paypal for transactions, that way I can swithch cards and bank accounts easier.

Whatever. I jetted an email off to hobbyshop about their fees. I have 28 auctions I wanna bid on, but most are below 800 yen. So that would be kinda like the biggest load of BS to have to pay $6 per auction. We'll see, I suppose.
Hesei
Godzilla

Postby gforever » Tue May 29, 2007 11:01 am

Hesei wrote:Now, I am obviously a bit pissed about this, but keep in mind, I am not trying to discredit these people as a service (Gforever can tell you a story to do that)

Another thing, why not just tell me from the start? Why give me some BS about being too busy? That's one good way to really anger a customer: giving them the runaround. Feh, just not my day...

:lol: oh poor Hesei.... Looks like they are getting sick of G-Collectors. I had an interesting story with Otaku-ya.... I deposited $300 for my auctions, they refunded it back to me in error. Before I sent my money back again, I wanted to ask them a simple question but they got pissed and just say that I'm banned from using their service. And I did have some good auctions going at good prices.... They kinda pissed me off because I thought I was going to win a big loot. Good thing I got my money back......

But anyways, I guess if you go for non-figs, they seem to be good, tho I have no positive experience dealing with them, you might want to ask Hesei for his opinion.
<G-FoReVeR>
gforever
Godzilla

Postby Hesei » Tue May 29, 2007 4:23 pm

gforever wrote:But anyways, I guess if you go for non-figs, they seem to be good, tho I have no positive experience dealing with them, you might want to ask Hesei for his opinion.
I'll just pass along their poorly written advice, "Please place an order for other deputy service site."
Hesei
Godzilla

Postby philly » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:17 am

i have bought a lot of items especially marmits, i find that if u can buy an item or items such as marmit for 6000 yen and less you are actually saving about 10 to 20 dollars because in the states marmits sell from 80 to 225 dollars. what i do is calculate the cost of the item and add 20 percent which covers all of the fees including shipping. do some price checking and weigh how badly u want the item versus the cost, also try to have multi-item shipping so u can save a little coin. i use shopping mall japan they have provided a very good service.
philly
Godzillasaurus

Postby Hesei » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:06 pm

http://www.shoppingmalljapan.com/

These guys? I might actually try them, then! They have rather nice rates. Much better than rinkya or Hobby Japan, who never responded to my email, by the way.

Yeah, it's always best to get multiple items, and all from the same seller if you can. Really cuts down on shipping. I don't think I've ever made a small order off Yahoo Japan, lol!

Oh well. I'll give these guys a shot next month, thanks for the info!
Hesei
Godzilla

Return to Toys, Figures, and Other Collectibles