[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
SFA: I'm King Kong! The Exploits of Merian C. Cooper • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

SFA: I'm King Kong! The Exploits of Merian C. Cooper

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

SFA: I'm King Kong! The Exploits of Merian C. Cooper

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:10 pm

King Kong (1933)
Image Image Image Image Image

Warner Bros. DVD - 2005
Warner Bros. DVD Box Set - 2005
Warner Bros. BRD - 2010
Warner Bros. BRD - 2014
Warner Bros. BRD - 2017

I’m King Kong! The Exploits of Merian C. Cooper - 57:02
Directed by Kevin Brownlow and Christopher Bird, Produced by Patrick Stanbury, Narrated by Alec Baldwin, Music by Carl Davis, Presented by Turner Classic Movies

This documentary premiered at the Telluride Film Festival in Colorado on September 3, 2005. It first aired on TCM later that year on November 22, the same day that WB included it on their first King Kong DVD release in the run-up to Peter Jackson's remake.

At just under an hour, this is a streamlined but expansive look at the life and accomplishments of Merian C. Cooper (1893-1973), the director of King Kong. Throughout the documentary, we get to hear snippets of Cooper reflecting on his life via archived audio. There are also lots of onscreen interviews with entertainment figures like Fay Wray, Ray Harryhausen, Ray Bradbury and Terry Moore, as well as men who served with Cooper in the armed forces. They all speak of him in laudatory terms.

The documentary begins with Cooper’s early years, getting expelled from the US Naval Academy and later serving as a bomber pilot during World War I. It then examines his time as part of a volunteer flight squadron supporting the Polish Army against the Soviets, which led to Cooper spending months in a Soviet POW camp before staging a daring escape with several others.

It then proceeds to Cooper’s return to the US and his career as a filmmaker. His collaborations with Ernest Schoedsack get the spotlight here with particular attention paid to King Kong. It also covers his return to service as an Air Force colonel during World War II and his later film collaborations with director John Ford.

The last part of the documentary is devoted to Cooper’s landmark 1952 film This Is Cinerama, the ultimate combination of his passions for film, aviation and larger-than-life showmanship. It was the first movie to utilize the Cinerama widescreen format, the footage recorded with three synchronized cameras and projected onto an extra-wide theater screen to envelop the audience’s peripheral vision. For a 4x3 TV special produced in 2005, it does a very effective job of presenting the Cinerama footage in a way that emphasizes what audiences in 1952 would have experienced. It’s the perfect way to wrap up this captivating biography of Merian C. Cooper.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: SFA: I'm King Kong! The Exploits of Merian C. Cooper

Postby SeaHawk » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:17 pm

I credit this documentary for my interest in film technology, which evolved into my interest in film restoration, which caused me to choose film preservation as my career path. The Cinerama segment is just so inspiring and awesome.
SeaHawk
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:44 pm

The King Kong '33 DVD/Blu-ray features are some of the best in the history of home video. Really tremendous stuff all around.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:20 am

Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:52 am

^ I hadn't heard that he passed! Always loved Behlmer when he turned up on a classic film release as an expert.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:31 pm

So did I. And of course, he did commentary for several of the Universal Monster features. It was a little bit of a challenge as I was dying to know about a particular scene and what it could mean, but instead, Rudy kept going on talking about an actor's resume. Still, I enjoyed all of the great knowledge that he provided in these features.

Yeah, it was sad to lose someone like Rudy, who actually had first hand knowledge on subjects such as Merian C. Cooper and Universal Horror.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases