Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North Ameri

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:56 am

I don't recall seeing it in any of the press releases, but does anyone here know whether or not Ultraman 80 will be part of the wave of releases? I know the show was remastered in hi-def a couple of years back, so BD-worthy materials do exist. Just wondering, as it's one of my favorites of the Showa period. (Same with the animated show.)
User avatar
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:47 am
Location: Standing @ The Crossroads

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:51 am

Jinzo Ningen wrote:I don't recall seeing it in any of the press releases, but does anyone here know whether or not Ultraman 80 will be part of the wave of releases? I know the show was remastered in hi-def a couple of years back, so BD-worthy materials do exist. Just wondering, as it's one of my favorites of the Showa period. (Same with the animated show.)


It's licensed, but it wasn't listed as being part of the Spring/Summer releases.

Anyway, I watched the first four episodes on Disc 4 last night and damn, that Telesdon episode is quite fantastic. The way it was shot and told made me think of Ultra Seven. Who knew that having properly timed subtitles could make it easy to fully enjoy an episode? :P On the other hand, the underwater episode was still meh and my god is the video quality in that episode still absolutely garbage. I guess even remastering it in HD couldn't fix how horrible that one looks.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11702
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:42 pm

I don't think Ultraman 80 got the high def treatment yet, did it? Ultraman Leo is the most recent blu-ray release over in Japan.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7724
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:07 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:I don't think Ultraman 80 got the high def treatment yet, did it? Ultraman Leo is the most recent blu-ray release over in Japan.


From my understanding, not yet, which is why it iwll probably be one of the last things Mill Creek will release.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11702
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby lhb412 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:28 pm

I am totally ignorant as to what Ultra Series have been released on Blu-ray in Japan.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 15506
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:37 am

lhb412 wrote:I am totally ignorant as to what Ultra Series have been released on Blu-ray in Japan.


Off the top of my head: everything from Q to Leo, Tiga-Dyna-Gaia, every series from Ginga onwards, every movie from Super 8 Ultra Brothers onwards, all the gaidens and Ultra Fights since Killer the Beatstar, the Zearth movies, Ultraman Vs. Kamen Rider, and *I think* The Ultraman (Jonias) and Powered & Great. I think. I didn't bother to look anything up to confirm all that so I may have missed some.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7724
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:59 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:
lhb412 wrote:I am totally ignorant as to what Ultra Series have been released on Blu-ray in Japan.


Off the top of my head: everything from Q to Leo, Tiga-Dyna-Gaia, every series from Ginga onwards, every movie from Super 8 Ultra Brothers onwards, all the gaidens and Ultra Fights since Killer the Beatstar, the Zearth movies, Ultraman Vs. Kamen Rider, and *I think* The Ultraman (Jonias) and Powered & Great. I think. I didn't bother to look anything up to confirm all that so I may have missed some.


Could've sworn that 80 had been. Hmmm... guess I was thinking of Ace, since that was next on my plate to pre-order once it's available. (Well, that and Jack/Return of Ultraman).
User avatar
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:47 am
Location: Standing @ The Crossroads

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:44 am

Yeah, no, the last Showa set they've released was Leo last December.

phpBB [media]
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 7724
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Jawjuh

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:13 pm

Finished Ultraman last night. Such a joy to revisit. I do need to ask, do they ever explain in other series why Dada's faces keep changing? I always thought there were 3 different Dadas, as that is how the subs from the DVDs described it to me, but the new subs specifically stated he was only one being.

I also have to say that now knowing the whole series, the last three episodes were clearly written as the end. I loved how it develops Ide into wondering if the SSSP is even needed and going from there.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11702
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Baltan II » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:52 pm

I have some extra Amazon credit and am considering these first two sets (more seriously, always wanted them) but am wondering if both Ultra Q and Ultraman have the subtitle issues or just Ultraman? Not sure if it’s worth grabbing one or both as-is or hoping for a fixed version of whichever is afflicted.
Image
User avatar
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2477
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:27 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby O.Supreme » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:18 pm

Finally finished Ultra Q. I started with Ultraman just because it's always been familiar to me. After years of owning the S!F set I never made it past 3 episode. I'm glad I went through them all. Quite a bit of Twilight Zone influence indeed. I can't believe I never noticed before what a beauty Hiroko Sakurai is though. Probably because in Ultraman she always was in uniform. In Ultra Q, she is quite a sight, and a great personality to contrast with the other actors. Well I feel fulfilled now. I've seen Orb once when it was new, but never seen any of Geed. Looking forward to them both on a few weeks.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3415
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby lhb412 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:24 pm

Baltan II wrote:I have some extra Amazon credit and am considering these first two sets (more seriously, always wanted them) but am wondering if both Ultra Q and Ultraman have the subtitle issues or just Ultraman? Not sure if it’s worth grabbing one or both as-is or hoping for a fixed version of whichever is afflicted.


I don't think it's much of an issue: a very occasional misspelling is par for the course in most releases, in my experience.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 15506
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:37 pm

Baltan II wrote:I have some extra Amazon credit and am considering these first two sets (more seriously, always wanted them) but am wondering if both Ultra Q and Ultraman have the subtitle issues or just Ultraman? Not sure if it’s worth grabbing one or both as-is or hoping for a fixed version of whichever is afflicted.


Outside of like 2 missing lines and some poor wording, the only issue is having monster spelled mosnter. Hardly worth skipping. If Shout! couldn't be bothered to fix the Sentai episodes that had mistimed subs, there's no way Mill Creek is going to reissue discs for something so miniscule.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11702
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby The Shadow » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:13 pm

If anyone hasn't yet ordered MillCreek's Ultra releases, they are all a part of Target's Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale; even the preorders for UltraSeven, Ultraman Orb, and Ultraman Geed.

Ultra Q and Ultraman are $21.99 for the regular edition, and $24.99 for the steelbooks. Orb and Geed are each $21.99. And UltraSeven is $22.99 for the regular and $27.99 for the steelbook.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
User avatar
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2172
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby O.Supreme » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:04 pm

That is awesome. Thanks for the heads up. I pre-ordered all 3, plus 5% red card discount, works out to about $15.35 per set for these three! 8)
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3415
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:29 pm

For those who just want the the Ultraman Orb and Ultraman Geed movies and not the shows, or for those who just can't wait two more weeks to own the movies, SciFi Japan reveals that Mill Creek has made special movie-only BRD editions that are now available exclusively to Walmart customers.

Image

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultraman-Orb ... /757721008

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultraman-Gee ... /271646804
Image
User avatar
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla
 
Posts: 5436
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:33 pm

Selling the movies for $20 must be a joke when the series and movie costs $22.

The Shadow wrote:If anyone hasn't yet ordered MillCreek's Ultra releases, they are all a part of Target's Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale; even the preorders for UltraSeven, Ultraman Orb, and Ultraman Geed.

Ultra Q and Ultraman are $21.99 for the regular edition, and $24.99 for the steelbooks. Orb and Geed are each $21.99. And UltraSeven is $22.99 for the regular and $27.99 for the steelbook.


That sale is such a joke. They had a sign in the video game section that say Buy 2 Get 1 Free on video games. But then not a single game I wanted qualified under that sale. It should have said, Buy 2 of a selected pool of 3 video games we sell get 1 from that same selected pool of v3 ideo games we sell for free.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11702
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby O.Supreme » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:45 pm

Hmmm...not sure who would want just the movies, but ok. It makes sense considering Spree also has them available to download now
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3415
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:35 pm

I finished off Disc 3 today. I liked Ultra Q but I'm enjoying Ultraman more. I'm not sure if its because there's more episodes or more variety of giant monsters but Ultraman just feels better to me. Looking forward to Ultraseven next month.

As for Geed and Orb I'll wait until I get to them chronologically. Unless I get word of them going OOP before I get there.

Taro is next for Showa right? Then Leo then Return of Ultraman/Ultraman 80?
The member formerly known as gvamp
User avatar
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11302
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:49 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:58 pm

Tom R VanSlambrouck wrote:I finished off Disc 3 today. I liked Ultra Q but I'm enjoying Ultraman more. I'm not sure if its because there's more episodes or more variety of giant monsters but Ultraman just feels better to me. Looking forward to Ultraseven next month.

As for Geed and Orb I'll wait until I get to them chronologically. Unless I get word of them going OOP before I get there.

Taro is next for Showa right? Then Leo then Return of Ultraman/Ultraman 80?


Ultra Seven
Return of Ultraman
Taro
Ace
Leo

I'd say don't wait on Orb. It's absolutely fantastic and my second favorite Ultra show right now.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11702
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Baltan II » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:50 pm

lhb412 wrote:
Baltan II wrote:I have some extra Amazon credit and am considering these first two sets (more seriously, always wanted them) but am wondering if both Ultra Q and Ultraman have the subtitle issues or just Ultraman? Not sure if it’s worth grabbing one or both as-is or hoping for a fixed version of whichever is afflicted.


I don't think it's much of an issue: a very occasional misspelling is par for the course in most releases, in my experience.


I wasn't clear enough, my apologies, I was specifically referring to the constant misspelling of "monster" that was being discussed previously. I'm not too hung up about the odd error, but it sounded like that was a particularly consistent issue with... at least one of the sets (again, do both Ultra Q and Ultraman suffer from it?) and might have been notable enough for Mill Creek to fix. They did do that Gamera 3 replacement way back, after all (though they didn't fix everything).
Image
User avatar
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 2477
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:27 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby lhb412 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:48 pm

^ It happens a couple of times... but it's still pretty negligible. I doubt it'll be considered reason enough for redoing it.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 15506
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:22 am

Dr Kain wrote:Ultra Seven
Return of Ultraman
TaroAce
AceTaro
Leo

I'd say don't wait on Orb. It's absolutely fantastic and my second favorite Ultra show right now.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3415
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:01 am

O.Supreme wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:Ultra Seven
Return of Ultraman
TaroAce
AceTaro
Leo

I'd say don't wait on Orb. It's absolutely fantastic and my second favorite Ultra show right now.


Thanks for the correction. I thought I had it backwards after I posted, but wasn't sure.

BTW, I'm a little ticked off at Best Buy right now. They canceled my preorder for Ultra Seven because they couldn't charge my card for it. WTF are they trying to charge my card for something that doesn't even come out for another month?
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11702
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: Ultraman TV and Movie Licensed to Mill Creek for North A

Postby RichCo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:30 pm

Dr Kain wrote:
O.Supreme wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:Ultra Seven
Return of Ultraman
TaroAce
AceTaro
Leo

I'd say don't wait on Orb. It's absolutely fantastic and my second favorite Ultra show right now.


Thanks for the correction. I thought I had it backwards after I posted, but wasn't sure.

BTW, I'm a little ticked off at Best Buy right now. They canceled my preorder for Ultra Seven because they couldn't charge my card for it. WTF are they trying to charge my card for something that doesn't even come out for another month?


Usually they put a hold on the funds. It's a pain in the ass.
Co-host of the Science Patrol!
ultramanpodcast.com
@ultrmanpodcast on Twitter
RichCo
Little Godzilla
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:43 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest